Start by marking “Crossing the Line” as Want to Read:
Crossing the Line

Crossing the Line

To escape his abusive stepdad, bad boy Ryan Hess runs from his tiny Texas border town to Mexico. But his plans to keep his head down and stay out of trouble are shattered the minute he meets the beautiful and totally out of his league Dalila Sandoval.

Dalila Sandoval shouldn’t even know someone like Ryan Hess. The daughter of one of the wealthiest lawyers in Mexico, Dalila
Published June 12th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Line, please sign up.
KathyB
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 2/5

ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

This was a solid 3 stars until things got unnecessarily messy and complicated towards the end. Not gonna lie, I did enjoy the romance but the book has major flaws.

Said flaws include:
1) Some of the Spanish phrases were clearly copied from Google Translator and no one bothered to verify them. (There is something called context people!)
2) I did not care for the characters
3) The romance was kinda insta-lovey and needy.
4) The co
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Simone, you did me DIRTY!!!!!

I got so lost in this book and was so into it...and then the ending comes. *sigh* I honestly should have seen it coming.

- Action Packed --- I could see this being turned into a movie.
- Tons of romance
- Steamy -- super emotional sexy time scenes.
- Friendships and Family issues
...... but horrible ending.....

I would still recommend this book, especially to those who love Simone Elkeles, but jump into it knowing that Simone Elkeles twisted things around with this book
Cristina
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn, this book broke my heart into millions of pieces... 😞
I loved it, with all I have: my heart, my soul and my mind. But the ending was not what I expected. At all...
First of all, I love those books which have Spanish sentences as parts of a conversation. Spanish makes a book more interesting from my point of view. And this one had a lot of them.
Second, Ryan and Dalila (such an interesting name as well) had a unique love story. One that you could feel from their first kiss.
Pablo... such a g
Hmr28
Jun 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wha???That ending. Nyet. Hell No!
Lynn
Jan 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
No hot romance scenes. Annoying heroine. The shit that took place didn't make sense. But, the ending, was so fucking pointless. (view spoiler)
I don't know what the author was thinking by adding that to the ending. It ruined an already pointless book and made it more pointless. And yes that is possible. This book proved it.

(view spoiler)
Ari
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am having the worst luck with picking up books these days.

I read "Crossing the Line" because I used to love a few from this author back in the day, but for me it did not work. Too much, too soon, too little, that's how I felt about it. I couldn't connect with the characters and there was a case of insta love too.

I also (always) feel like someone who actually speaks Spanish should give the author some advices, because some things did not sound right to me (and I don't even speak Spanish that w
Aly
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoy Simone Elkeles's books. I'm a sucker for a bad boy and I love when she writes interracial relationships. The books are engaging and exciting to read. You get the boy and girls' points of view and there's always a dangerous element that adds to the experience. Both characters have been through some tough things and they were a good couple. The only thing I didn't like was the ending (view spoiler) ...more
Sandy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
I'm a fan of Simone Elkeles. Even though my first book by her wasn't a huge hit for me, every one of her other books were really enjoyable for me so when I saw Crossing the Line I was really excited. However, Crossing the Line was a little bit of a let down for me.

My biggest issue with Crossing the Line was the moments that seemed to stretch the imagination. And Crossing the Line had many of those moments. I mean does anyone use really personal information like a nickname as their password here
♡AbbyBooks♡
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Jeraca
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-but-unowned
I received this eARC book from Edelweiss. This is my honest review.
Release date: June 12, 2018

Life for Ryan has not been kind throughout his 17 years. With no father around, and a drunk mother, growing up in Chicago was very rough, especially being bullied and beat up all of the time. But Ryan had enough and decided to learn how to fend for himself by learning how to fight - how to box.

Now his mom moved them to Texas when she remarried, and Ryan hates it there even more. He hates his stepfathe
Lauren
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Simone Elkeles has been one of my auto-buy authors for years. As a teenager, I devoured all her books - the laugh-out-loud-funny How to Ruin series, the smoking hot Perfect Chemistry series, and the raw and heartbreaking Leaving Paradise. To this day, I still her books are some of the first I suggest to fans of YA romance/contemporary.

Therefore, when I found out she had a new book coming out, I was beyond excited. It had been YEARS since I had read a book by Simone, and I couldn't wait to dive
John Clark
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually an escape across the southern border has the person coming north, but Ryan has already made one huge move south, from Chicago to a tiny town in Texas after his alcoholic mom married an overbearing sheriff who can't stand Ryan. Boxing is his salvation, especially after his dad vanished before he was born and other kids bullied him. Life at home is ugly, what with Mom taking his stepfather's side and his two stepbrothers delighting in making him the scapegoat for everything.
After decidin
Annie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh, 2018-reads
what the fuck was this? I wanted a light cute summer read because reading so many Shakespearean tragedies was getting way too depressing, but instead of a light cute novel, I do I get this, a shitty book with a shitty ending that doesn't make sense whatsoever. wth? I can't believe I wasted my time and money on this book to be cheated like this with that stupid shitty ending that doesn't make sense whatsoever. That ending made the entire book so redundant and utterly pointless. Can't believe I st ...more
Silvia
Sep 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
I can't believe I used to enjoy Simone Elkeles' books, this was so racist and stereotypical and TERRIBLE
Becky
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 6/13/18.

Well. Not a romance, then.

Crossing the Line is a YA suspense novel heavy on the romance elements--though probably heavy on over-the-top insta-lust is more accurate. Almost everything here was more heavy-handed than I remember her books being--the drama, the suspense, the clashes with parents/stepparents/step-siblings, the betrayals...and did I mention the insta-lust already? Dalila and Ryan went from fairly antagonistic to all-in-love way too fast
bjneary
Loved this book so much but HATED THE ENDING!!! Ryan and Dalila are such great characters- opposites in most ways- Ryan has a mother who has never been there for him and is now married to a bully sheriff who hates Ryan. Dalila lives in Mexico, has lots of money and friends and when she and Ryan meet sparks fly but also anger. Their eventual romance is swoon worthy. The drug cartels are fighting for power, is Dalila's father involved? Dalila is determined to find out the truth, but at what cost? ...more
Kiki Cole
At first I was like, “OH THIS BOOK SHPULD BE GREAT! WHY DOES IT HAVE A LOW RATING??” Oh, maybe because the ending was totally unexpected in the worst way possible?!?! Yeah, that’s why! Now the book was great besides that. It took place in Mexico which was new, it had a strong female and male protagonists, it was fast paced and sexy. It also had a pretty twisted and cool storyline. But no it had to be brutally stopped by the unfortunate occurrence at the end. 🙃
Vona Bowling
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a solid teen romance. There is a few slight language and sexual situations, but nothing too graphic. that’s become a sleep takes place in Mexico, with a Mexican heroine and a American hero. He is the traditional bad boy with a good heart, she is the Mexican princess who wants to do good in the world. They do the usual fight their attraction, and then they get into quite a mess with a variety of Mexican drug cartels. Definitely a twist ending.
Meganjoy
Jun 15, 2018 marked it as dnr
For those of you who like to know the ending before you read a book ... (view spoiler)
K.
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
For an author I LOVED growing up this book was sooo disappointing. I had some really high hopes
Julie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romance with a boxer and princess. I loved the friends and romance. The ending I didn't really like but it was a very real ending.
Bickering Book Reviews
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRzqO...

This book lacked character development to make the romance believable. The story felt melodramatic and the use of Spanish felt like a gimmick.

We received an eARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Marissa
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
(view spoiler)
Becky
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRzqO...

Ryan Hess has come to Mexico to train to be a boxer and get away from his abusive stepfather. Dalila Sandoval thinks she's living the perfect life but when she starts to question her father's business connections she find herself in danger. When the two meet the form an instant connection but can they overcome their family issues to survive?

I really wanted to like this book but it just didn't happen. I found the story to b
Jamie Wilson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Sometimes you never know what’s missing in your life until it’s right in front of your face. I never thought I needed a hero, until I met Ryan Hess.”

The initial premise of this novel drew me in with the quintessential bad boy meets rich girl and they fall in love despite their circumstances story. The romantic rags to riches saga is always a joy for me.

Ryan Hess redefined the standard for the bad boy genre. Ryan’s inner monologue completely broke my heart and made me fall in love with him alon
Teresa
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
PaleHorsemen
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
well, I didn't like the end. And it's very banal, it's not love it's simple physical desire
Eliza
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like West Side Story
I loved the beginning of Crossing the Line because I was able to sympathize with Ryan hard life.

I felt that Dalila's character was trying too hard to convince the readers that she was strong and independent. I find that this happens most often with female characters, but I have also seen this with male characters. When a character has to tell the readers over and over again, sometimes in different words, that their strong and independent because their unwilling to listen to anything that anyone
Gaby
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nishta Reddy
Crossing the Line // 1 Star

Psych this isn’t that Crossing the Line.
Cue the disappointment for 12-year-old Nishta.

The reason I’m reviewing such a bad novel is to part with my old favorites, what a glory they were. Here’s an ode to all the 7th-grade authors I discovered and enjoyed and will probably not be reading any more. Saying goodbye for Simone Elkeles, Katie McGarry, Jamie McGuire, etc.

This took me a while to get through because I couldn’t finish the first day, and as a result, it led to me
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Freak 'N' Gorgeous
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Libellensommer
  • The Iron Will of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #2)
  • Until I Break
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Der Spiegel von Feuer und Eis
  • International Player
  • Sidelined
  • When the Truth Unravels
  • Breaking the Rules of Revenge
  • Siena (The Forestfolk Series, #1)
  • Response
  • Destined for a King (The Bastard Brotherhood, #1)
  • Unknown (The Secret Life of Cassie Martin, #1)
  • Forbidden (The Soulkeepers, #1)
  • The Christmas Promise
  • Where She Fell
Simone Elkeles is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of novels for teens. Simone’s books have won many awards including being YALSA Top Ten Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, being named to the YALSA Popular Paperbacks and Teens Top Ten lists, and added to the Illinois “Read for a Lifetime” Reading List. Simone also won the coveted RITA award from the Romance Writers of ...more