Start by marking “Souls Collide (The Soul Wars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Souls Collide (The Soul Wars, #1)

Souls Collide

(Soul Wars #1)

Published June 2nd 2017 by Falstaff Books (first published June 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Souls Collide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Souls Collide

Start your review of Souls Collide (The Soul Wars, #1)
Cheryl
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh deary me! When I first started reading this the first thing that popped into my head was "not another True Blood rip off". Based in the Old South - check, a very old genteel vampire with sublime manners - check .... but here is where it differs with a feisty 80yo society lady who is sensitive to ghosts and a warrior Valkyrie assigned to work with Gaspard the vampire.
This prequel introduces the main characters of the series and centres around very angry spectres who were once slaves owned by A
Denise Belt
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gaspard is a very old vampire who is protected by Kara, a Valkyrie who is on loan to him. Gaspard wants to help his elderly neighbor, Adelaide, who unknown to her is somewhat of a distant relative to him. Adelaide, is a tough, spunky, 80-year old lady who is sensitive to ghosts. She wants to preserve her family’s history even though in the past they were slave owners who were horrible to their slaves.

This novella is the first of four by urban fantasy author J.D Blackrose, and is an easy read. E
Carol
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting

Loved this book! Vampires, ghosts, and Valkyrie. Many threads started but not finished. Can't wait for the next book to pull it all together.
Angela Charles
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves vampires.
I received an advance copy of this short story for my honest opinion. I loved this story. We are introduced into a world where vampires are out but not treated as citizens. I just loved Adelaide and how she refuses to let a vampire intimidate her. She is such an amazing character. She is strong and independent but also understands the horror that goes on in the world. Throughout the story you are thinking that you know what is happening but come to find out the last person that would show up is ...more
Linda Romer
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Souls Collide (The Soul Wars, #1) by J.D. Blackrose

I enjoyed reading Souls Collide. I thought the story was original, Vampires, Valkyrie and Ghosts.
A quick read that's spooky and exciting. The characters are great. My favorite is Kara a Valkyrie that is a spitfire and a fierce warrior. I also enjoyed Adelaide a very courageous older woman who's on a mission to set things right from her ancestors past mistakes. and Gaspard the Vampire, ever the gentleman unless provoked.
I'm looking forward to
Larry Tushman
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. Characters developed, but in a way that keeps an air of mystery about them as their parts unravel. I'm not normally a vampire story reader (it was the Valkyrie bodyguard that first drew me to this), but I liked the portrayal here. Some good, some bad, all predators not ridiculously romanticized while showing some of the pitfalls of their existence. Plenty of questions left to explore...now on to book 2.
Darla Hallgren
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A few times i found myself confused as to where the story was going. And the flow a bit stiff. Hard to connect with characters,though I found the story interesting and different. It did intrigue me enough to read the next installment. It just won't be at top of my "to be read" list. ...more
Erin Penn
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A strong character-driven novella with three POV characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. A stand-alone story which also manages to introduce the actions, worldbuilding, and characters for The Soul Wars series.

If you like strong female characters, whether young kickin' women or old Southern ladies with a steel core, this is the book for you.

I knocked points off for the ending. (view spoiler)
Vi
Mary
Jun 04, 2018
Barbara
Aug 16, 2018

• The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Spells, Salt, & Steel (Spells, Salt, & Steel #1)
  • Raising Hell (Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter #1)
  • Perishables (The Withrow Chronicles, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Monster Hunter (Mason Dixon, Monster Hunter #1; The New Templars)
  • 镇魂 [Guardian]
  • Old Dog, New Tricks (Black Dog, #4)
  • The Daily Spell Journal: A Diary of Enchantments for Every Day of the Year
  • Of Lips and Tongue: A Touch Trilogy Novella (The Touch Trilogy Book 1)
  • Lie Down with Dogs (Black Dog, #3)
  • The New Voices of Fantasy
  • Suradanna and the Sea
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
J.D. Blackrose loves all things storytelling and celebrates great writing by posting about it on her website, www.slipperywords.com. She has published The Soul Wars series and the Monster Hunter Mom series, both through Falstaff Books, as well as numerous short stories.

When not writing, Blackrose lives with three children, an orange cat, her husband and a full-time job in Corporate Communications.

Soul Wars (4 books)
  • Souls Fall (The Soul Wars #2)
  • Souls Rise (The Soul Wars #3)
  • Souls Unite (The Soul Wars #4)

News & Interviews