Start by marking “In The Name of God” as Want to Read:
In The Name of God

In The Name of God

The Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram safeguards within its sacrosanct walls centuries of customs and rituals, unimaginable wealth and an unwavering calm. Until a dead body turns up in its holy pond . . . And then another. The murders threaten to shake the temple’s very foundation, and when fingers point to its sealed vaults and its custodian, Aswathi ...more
Published June 26th 2017 by Penguin Random House India

To ask other readers questions about In The Name of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Name of God

Start your review of In The Name of God
Naddy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up Bankster, I was told Ravi Subramanian is John Grisham of India, but my expectations were quite lost, I thought it would be moderate mystery laden with dramatized events, but to my surprise it was logical, technical thriller rather than factual and dramatized thriller.

So, when I saw the new book is coming from Ravi S. In the Name of God, I was quite excited, so I picked up little high expectations, as compared to previous one. It started with a bang, a dead body in temple, follo
Girish
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Ravi Subramanian's book is an intelligent fast paced thriller put together from some major eye grabbing headlines around the world. A book pacy enough to want to know how it all pans out - except it meanders quite a bit.

With the supreme court decree to audit the sealed vaults of Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Temple to decide who should control the temple administration, we get the name of God invoked multiple times.When a member of the audit team of the Anantha Padmanabha Swami temple is killed 2 da
Vadassery Rakesh
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenge
There is something called "Chavittu Natakam" in Kerala, which roughly turns out to be like a street play. It has many characters coming and going so that the onlooker gets confused on who is who. Exactly this is what happened to me in the final stages of the book, after having seen a very promising start. After the initial 200 pages, I tweeted about the book as my impression of the book went sky high. But the later part was a great let-down in the author's over zest to bring in twists and turns. ...more
Aryan Sarath
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After giving continuous hits like The Incredible Banker, Bankerupt, If God was a Banker, God is a Gamer & The Bestseller She Wrote, Ravi Subramanian is back again with a bang. This time, it was the most sensational topic which had kept all of us on toes a few years back - The hidden treasure of Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Kerala.

He has used the sensational news in this new novel in a very subtle manner combining some of the real life events like donation of an elephant to the temple by India Cemen
Anantha Narayanan
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A well thought book, but completed in hurry. A New genre I think, which making fiction out of news events. I think this is the best way to summarize the book.
While reading it till end of part 2 (of 3), it was nail biting. I couldn't keep the book down till that point. But after that the expectations suddenly collapsed and a less impressive climax followed.
The author has managed to piece together various news headlines and as a jigsaw puzzle he fitted it very well in this book. But the main plot
Veena
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Content
The book begins with Rajan fling a case in court asking them to investigate the wealth in Ananth Padmanabha swamy temple in Thiruvananthapuram. The simple objective was to audit the wealth but as the story progresses, someone gets murdered. A Jewellery store in Dubai gets looted and some more events align themselves to give an impression that all of them are linked to the discovery of wealth is the temple. A well-known jewellery designer and a team of jewel experts are roped in to evaluat
Samidha; समिधा
*NOTE: A copy of the book was provided in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, I would like to thank the publisher, Penguin India, for this.*

4.5 Stars.
🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2

Why a person commits a crime- there are possibly six reasons - love, faith, greed, boredom, fear or revenge.

Thrilling. Exciting. Shocking. These are the only adjectives that I can use for In the Name of God.

What starts of as Wafi Mall Heist, quickly escalates into a larger issue than just a robbery. It combines almost al
Richa Bhattarai
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
One of the rare books I left midway and didn’t want to pick up. Was interesting enough but too drawn-out and cumbersome to continue.
Chitra Iyer
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new release, In The Name of God by Ravi Subramanian, had my attention when the Anantha Padmanabhaswamy temple in Thiruvanathapuram was mentioned in the blurb. Being my husband's hometown, I visit the city and the temple every year and have been updated with the "treasure" and "vaults" since the very beginning. But when you mix culture with a fictitious murder story, my curiosity just piqued and I ordered the book immediately. Couldn't resist!

The book begins with a jewelry heist in one of the p
Tilottama Pal
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thriller of the class of a New York Times bestseller! Probably the best of Ravi so far... gripping read!
Jayasree B
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-e-library
Ravi Subramanian has done a brilliant job with his new book. Of course, there is the mystery and the whodunit element of the book, but there is also insight into the workings of smuggling rings, drugs, and the history of the temple and its surroundings. It was a glorious work which was well researched and an absolute joy to read. (At a certain point, I might have wanted to reach into the story and take the vehicle Kabir Khan was travelling in and actually move it to the place where he was travel ...more
Shivangi Yadav
Honestly I just picked up this book because of the message about Nirav Choksi that went viral after the huge scam. And trust me, never ever do that.
To cut a long story short, I plodded through the book, because I refused to give up and the book refused to end.
There are too many stories, too many sub-plots and too many characters for the book to pull off any convincingly. Half the time you don't know who is coming or going and why.
By the end I was just rolling my eyes and speed reading.
Animesh Das (Booksandbeard)
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blurb:- The Story begin at Thiruvananthapuram district of India where a temple worker Rajan files a case against King Dharmaraja Verma, trustee of Lord Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Temple and request the court to audit the vaults.As the story progresses, a mysterious murder at Thiruvananthapuram and the Wafi Mall Heist at Dubai leads the investigators to believe that these two incidents are connected.The Govt of India appoints a team lead by a famous jeweller to audit the wealth, and now the real te ...more
Kala Ravi Sarathy
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
With 'In the name of God', Ravi Subramanian is back in my good books! I've read and enjoyed all his books bar his last one, 'The Bestseller...'! What I liked: I think it is a brilliant theme, close to the hearts of all who followed the news of the riches of this famed temple. The story is strewn with plots within plots and red herrings. I liked the author's in depth research on the topography, intelligence procedures, hospitality tech workings as it lends so much authenticity to the story. The s ...more
LuvLaw
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books
This is the second book of Ravi. S. That I bought to read and I am spellbound. What an amazing writing skill this author has.

One of the best books I have had the opportunity to read and cherish and keep within me.

Each is a page turner and I felt I am with Kabir Khan trying to figure out what is happening.

Right from Rajan's thought to file a writ petition (and he never even had any idea of the catastrophe his decision is going to make) to Nirav Choksi and the others being dragged into it.

I di
Andrew Bernstein
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Another one picked up in India on the raving recommendation of a bookstore clerk. It started strong, surprisingly strong, yet finished up with a bit of chaos. Well done, and apparently related to some real-life news events, the writing was pretty crisp and the pages flipped fast. A lot of characters to follow, but that was actually ok till the end when the writing felt rushed and a little forced with all the plot twists and turns. The insights into how India "works" can be enlightening, from pol ...more
Vishnupriya
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the time of “Incredible banker”, most of his work revolves around a mystery element with banking background. But his latest novel “In the name of god” speaks a different setup. This novel raised my adrenaline levels and made me to finish it in a single go. What a page turner! It is like a magnet that pulls you into it. Anybody looking for a pacing thriller can blindly go for this one. His novels are mixed of Dan brown style + John Grisham. I highly recommend it.
Kailas Ramachandran
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ravi's first attempt at a non-banking crime thriller,and it works !! More familiar to me because of the setting-Sree Ananthpadmaswamy temple at Trivandrum...And the local settings have been carefully crafted.Nice set of characters and moves at a frantic pace...Highly recommended !!
Sangeeta Sumesh
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading the book but the latter part was a bit of a drag. On the whole the story was a bit complex. Too many things happening which could have been kept simple and tied together better. Also felt as if some parts of the story were incomplete. Nevertheless it was a good thriller.
Mean Drake
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written book with an overly complicated end. Also prefer where clues are given to readers rather then just hiding them as happened frequently in this book.
Sankardev
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Good explanation to all the unsolved riddle's !
Tanmay Meher
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW, what a piece of thriller!!!! Superb story telling, the pace is ultrasonic, the plot will not let you getup from your chair.
Go for this book and discover the thrill.
Akansha Verma
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first book that I've picked from the author and I must say that I'm impressed. The book is a nice read with good twists and turns. Some characters were amazing, suspense was good and will keep you engaged. It will motivate you to keep turning pages. However, there are so many characters introduced in the story that you will definitely get confused. The climax could have been better. All in all a good read.
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
A fast paced thriller from the writer of thriller on banking.
Riju Ganguly
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A dense, dark, and disturbing thriller : that's how I would like to describe this book.
It begins with a bang, as one of the most professional heists get carried out at a mall in Dubai. Police fails to catch the perpetrators, but they find something which is extremely intriguing.
And thus begins a complex game involving stolen antiquities, power-play over and possible siphoning of temple wealth, serial blasts in Mumbai, struggles over diamond trade, and MURDER!
Kabir Khan from CBI, Madhavan from Ta
Aravind
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The author has tried to diversify out of his trademark corporate thrillers with this novel, and has done a great job to some extent. The projected theme of this book―the opening of the vaults of Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple in Thiruvananthapuram, supposed to house unimaginable riches―is very attractive. Added to this are many other plots and sub-plots with several characters with their own stories and motives. The result is a fast paced story that keeps the reader hooked. However, in the end, ...more
Nadella Vamsi Krishna
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ravi has just nailed it !! This is my first Book of his and was a bit doubtful about his writing. But still, I'm totally convinced with the theme he chose to write and became agog with the twists in the story. A perfect masterpiece for those who prefer thriller genres.

Only complaint is that the author has dragged the climax a bit more than required leading to unnecessary confusion among the characters. (Especially the police characters 😂)

Note : Purely impartial towards all the writers of this ge
Anand Chauhan
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Unnecessary complex plot. Mr. Subramanian should do what he is good at i.e. writing fiction on banking and financial matters. Murder mystery is not his cup of tea.
Shwetha H.S.
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In The Name of God is Ravi Subramanian's ninth book out of ten. He is known as the Indian Grisham of banking thrillers. True to his fame, In The Name of God is a thriller, but not completely related to banking, but is related to the treasure on which banks work.

Set in the backdrop of discovery of the hidden treasure under the Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple in Thiruvananthapuram, In The Name of God has a team of elite jewelers and bankers working on evaluating the value of the treasure. There is
Vidya
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A fiction based on the Padmanabhaswamy temple treasure scam. Ravi has done a good job making it very realistic. But I felt a little too many characters and multiple scandals interlinked made it a little cluttered. Though the ending is realistic (not leading to proper closure for all issues, as it happens in real all the time), he could have made his fiction a little better by giving some conclusion to the intentions of the characters like Rajan, Padmanabha dasa (King) , Ramalingam (auto driver) ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Book is available Online, Order now 1 6 Jun 07, 2017 10:27AM

• Keepers of the Kalachakra
  • HARAPPA: Curse of the Blood River
  • The Krishna Key
  • Chanakya's Chant
  • PRALAY: The Great Deluge
  • KASHI: Secret of the Black Temple (Harappa Series)
  • The Vault of Vishnu
  • Forget Me Not, Stranger
  • The Rozabal Line
  • All Yours, Stranger
  • Son of Bhrigu (The Pataala Prophecy Book 1)
  • The Sialkot Saga
  • Marry Me, Stranger
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
  • The Girl in Room 105
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
Ravi Subramanian's latest book - IN THE NAME OF GOD - a thriller, releases on June 26, 2017

Ravi Subramanian, an alumnus of IIM Bengaluru, has spent two decades working his way up the ladder of power in the amazingly exciting and adrenaline-pumping world of global banks in India.
​​
He is the award winning author of eight bestselling books :

If God was a Banker (2007),