Start by marking “Diablov učeň (Veľká vojna o peklo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Diablov učeň (Veľká vojna o peklo, #1)

Diablov učeň

(The Great Devil War #1)

Nová detská fantasy séria, ktorá si v domácom Dánsku našla desaťtisíce fanúšikov! Filip je dobrák. Nikdy neublížil ani muške. A tak celkom nechápe, keď sa po strašnej nehode ocitne pred pekelnými bránami. Sám Satan si čoskoro uvedomí, že tu niečo nesedí, a hore na zemi to niekto poriadne pokašľal. Satan však potrebuje nasledovníka a Filip je jediný vhodný kandidát ...more
Published July 12th 2017 by Vydavateľstvo SLOVART (first published September 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Diablov učeň, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diablov učeň

Start your review of Diablov učeň (Veľká vojna o peklo, #1)
Helen Power
Synopsis
Philip is a thirteen year old boy who has always been well behaved. He's a boy scout, he does his chores on time, and he's always eager to help anyone who might need his assistance. But when he dies unexpectedly, a mix up causes him to find himself in hell.Not only is he expected to stay there, but he is required to enter training to become the successor of the Devil himself. Philip must learn to survive, but who can he trust? And, most importantly, will he still be the same person
Nick T. Borrelli
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12 year-old Philip's life has completely gone to hell.....literally. As in, he finds himself in the fiery depths of the place where the naughty people go after being struck by a car. After a meeting with the devil himself, Philip finds out that his being in hell is actually a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and that someone else was actually supposed to have descended in his place. You see, Philip is actually a very good boy, in fact according to the devil he's 99% pure as the ...more
Regitze
I understand why so many are up in arms about this book, why they are flailing over KBA's world. My only regret is not reading it sooner, because it was great. So great.

I will definitely be continuing this series and immediately!
Skirmish
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halcyon-days
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2019...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits

Thank you to the author, Kenneth B. Andersen, for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Esther
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Lately there have been tons and tons of YA Fantasy books and I've seen a lot of readers getting sick of it, since it's very often much of the same. This is another YA Fantasy book, but it's like NOTHING you've ever read. The story was so unique, and although it takes place in hell, the story is mainly about being good, and about what is good and what is evil. I think this was one of my favorite books
Jonathan Pongratz
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Man oh man was this read refreshing!

This was my first time reading a book by Kenneth B. Andersen, and I had no idea just how entertaining this book was going to be.

To start, I really loved Philip's character. He's virtuous and has a good head on his shoulders for his age. And let's be honest, who doesn't love a hero? Throughout this novel, Philip's morals are tested as the influence of the evil around him attempts to seep in. It was really easy to relate to since we all deal with these kinds of
Noriko
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal
I am not a big fantasy reader most of the time and I only read fantasy novels every now and then, but oh boy, this book entertained me so much that I cannot resist my urge to grab the next book!

A tale of mistaken identity - an intrinsically a good-natured boy, Philip is sent to Hell BY MISTAKE instead of a diabolically evil boy, Sam. Down in Hell, there is a dying Lord of Darkness and he has been looking for a boy to succeed the throne and it WAS supposed to be Sam NOT Philip.
As soon as the
Shalini
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book which can transport me from the realities of my life is certainly a book to gaze at in wonderment. This book did that, the only fact which made it all the more fun was that the book transported me to the realms of Hell!! With Lucifer as its King!! Oh boy, was I in for a rocking ride.

A mistaken identity, and Philip was taken in to Hell by the hands of Death instead of Sam, a bully at his school. Lucifer was dying, and he needed a Heir to succeed the throne. Philip was it! The boy who has
Anne-sophie Olsen
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons, fantasy, doubt
If you like Dennis Jürgensen, then this is a must read book, as it's universe is very similar to that of this other author.

An epic and fun journey into the depths of hell and the soul of humankind.
Anna
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically the Danish Percy Jackson I loved this series sooo much Satina was my absolute favourite character (childhood icon) although she, in hindsight, sounds like the character Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way was based on. Anyway I love this and I still have the 2 or 3 first books xx
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I loved it!!! 4.5 stars
I can’t believe a book like that just randomly landed on my reading list. (Remember when I said, take that, universe? Well, maybe there is balance. Thanks, universe!) I would have never chosen to read this book on my own – the cover choice would have kept me off it. I usually steer clear of books that look “too epic fantasy”, because it’s usually not my thing. And it does seem to be that from the cover. But it’s not! This is a middle grade with a lot of paranormal in it,
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
In a world without evil “There is no envy, so there are no sports leagues or competition. The killer instinct is dead, because if you lose you’re not angry or disappointed – you’re happy for your competitor. And when the loser’s joy is equal to the winner’s, what’s the point in playing? Books and films would be about nothing, because in this world there are no bad guys to be captured and therefore no heroes.”

Wow. Did this book ever have me thinking! It’s very true that without evil, there can be
Shanannigans
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I LOVED this book! It was highly entertaining, fun, and incredibly creative!

It’s been ages since I enjoyed a Fantasy this much! I honestly don’t have any constructive feedback because from the very first paragraph, I was in it! Totally, and completely absorbed in this fantastical world the author created. Isn’t that the best feeling, to get completely lost in a book?

That was probably my favourite part about this story, the world building. Anderson creates Hell down to the smallest detail, but it
Elizabeth
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to The_WriteReads and the author for providing me with a copy of this in exchange for my open and honest review. Please check out my other reviews at www.beforewegoblog.com

Phillip's life is the pits. He is 13 years old, which let's be frank, is no good for anyone. On top of that, he is the frequent target of a vicious school bully who takes bullying to a whole new level, he is a genuinely kind person, and most of all, he is dead. Even worse, is that upon dying he finds himself in the
Don Jimmy Reviews
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Devil’s Apprentice is a strange beast. While certainly aimed at the YA market (I would say anyone 12+ would be a suitable audience) I have heard of a number of adults loving it. This 34 year old certainly enjoyed it, so it may well be one of those books that crosses the divide.

The author has used some incredibly imaginative world building to create a hell like we have never seen before. I loved the whole society down there and how grumpy older people still complained about “little devils”
Catarina Pimenta
FULL REVIEW OVER AT PAGES & PLOTS

The Devil’s Apprentice is an early young-adult novel. The main characters are around 14-years old, even in demon years, so my tween self would love this book.

You follow Phillip, your typical good boy, who dies and, by mistake, ends up as the successor of the Devil himself. And how can a goody-two-shoes turn into someone so wicked, so evil, that he can take the role of the Devil?
Chip
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
OK, but to me overly simplistic and so flawed. E.g., I didn’t care for (1) how all of the devils, who by definition were supposedly deeply evil - weren’t, (2) how easily (and cluelessly) the upstanding young protagonist was enticed into evildom- but then easily redeemed himself or (3) how all of the suffering of the tormented souls was simply ignored by the various characters. Some YA books work equally, and superbly, well for adult readers - but this was not one of those books.
Lili  Marcus
Review later today.
Christine Godman
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, digital
Delightfully twisted. A fun, entertaining and creative take on Hell and all its beastly inhabitants.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Tour ~ My review is voluntary and honest.

Thirteen-year-old Philip has the honor of dying and being sent to Hell. Honor, you say? Well, yeah. He’s slated to be Lucifer’s successor. Except he’s not. Due to a massive screw up Philip has landed in Hell in someone else’s place. Lucifer has one foot on a banana peel and the other in a grave, so he has to make the best of the situation. He must mold Philip, who never lies, into the leader of Hell and do it quickly. Oh, boy. Does Lucifer have his work
gwendalyn _books_
Let that be your first lesson, Philip. Down here, humor is always dark.”The Devil's Apprentice, Is the First in a series of The Great Devil War BooksA fun an intriguing adventure fantasy that is full of dark humor, and fantasy world building.A mistake and a twist of fate, sets in motion the storyline.Cleverly written in third POV of Philip Engle, a thirteen-year-old boy who lives with his mother and who lost his father when he was very young.The book is a page-turner, there are heroes and ...more
LeAnne Christiansen
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
“Everything is twisted crookedly and tied together in ways that don’t make sense. A geometric craziness with triangles at more than 180 degrees, squares with only three sides, and parallel lines that cross each other. The road he’s standing on curls like a ribbon. It makes his eyes hurt to see all this madness... This is how the condemned experience Hell.”

The premise of this story is a fun interpretation that makes it hard to put down!
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like The Devil's Apprentice. Mainly because of the fact that it's...well, a story about Hell. The whole Christian guilt thing. I know. I know. "But, Valerie, you read horror and about vampires and magic!" Yes, yes indeed and that's why I pulled up my big girl pants and cracked this baby open! Sacrilegious though it may be, it was a riot.

Read more at Cats Luv Coffee
Olga Miret
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am writing this review as a member of Rosie’s Book Review Team (authors, if you’re looking for reviews, I recommend you check her amazing site here), and I thank her and the author for providing me an ARC copy of this book that I freely chose to review.
This is a fun book. Written in the third-person form the point of view of Philip, a thirteen-year-old boy who lives with his mother and who lost his father when he was very young, this novel is suitable for younger readers and also for adults.
K B
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

The Devil’s Apprentice, by Kenneth B Andersen is a fun and entertaining story of morality and childhood, perfect for younger ya readers, and even entertaining for an older audience.

Synopsis: Philip is a star child, well behaved, hard-working, polite and he never lies. However, an unfortunate series of events results in Philip being sent to Hell so he can become Lucifer’s apprentice, only to find out it was a mistake.

Philip is not who Lucifer was looking for. In fact, Philip is the polar
Jolie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Devil’s Apprentice is the story about Philip. Philip is a good boy. So Philip was puzzled when he dies after a car accident, and he goes to Hell. It is after meeting Lucifer that they realize a mistake has been made. The wrong boy died. Lucifer is desperate and he needs an heir because he is dying. So, he makes Philip his heir and is determined to teach him how to become evil.

Meanwhile, Philip is busy making friends (and enemies). He also discovers that what is happening to Lucifer is being
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of The Devil's Apprentice in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Devil's Apprentice is a novel that is both familiar and unfamiliar; unique and complex. It's the tale of mistaken identity taken to extreme levels, and how one boy has to survive and make decisions that he can live with.
Philip is not the sort of kid that you picture when you think of the replacement for the Devil – yet that is exactly the situation he finds himself in. In life, Philip was a sweet kid.
Roma
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Devil’s Apprentice

Author: Kenneth B Anderson

Length: 232 pages

Genre: YA Fantasy, Fiction

My rating: 4.5/5

Summary:

The story is about a boy named Phillip who is a very good and obedient kid. He is mistakenly taken to hell to become successor to the Devil.

My Take:

I would like to thank thewritereads and author for providing me with a copy of book for reading and reviewing and become a part of the blog tour. When I was offered this book, I thought the blurb was quite intriguing. We had read
Jessica Belmont
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Devil’s Apprenticeblew my mind. I can’t get over how much I loved this book!! I can’t find anything negative to say. It was just everything I wanted it to be and more.

The concept is really fun. Hell certainly isn’t a place I would consider fun, but I loved how detailed the world building was. I was transported into this world and I was able to read late into the night, having difficulties putting it down.

I love the themes of good vs evil and where the lines blur. I loved that the majority of
Annette Petersen
Phillip is probably one of the most good hearted boys ever. Not as in, you really want to strangle him, because he's just too good.
He's just the kind of boy you would like as your friend.
By a twist of fate he ends up in Hell as the Devil's apprentice.
This causes Lucifer no end of grief, because a boy as good hearted as Phillip, really is ill suited to become the next Master of Hell.
Or is he?

I enjoyed the world building, the different ways of punishing the sinners in Hell and how he incorporated
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• De hvide mænd
  • The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn (Erik Menneskesøn #1)
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • A Different Time
  • Shadows (Sapphire Smyth & The Shadow Five, #1)
  • Death Among Us: An Anthology of Murder Mystery Short Stories
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #1)
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Viridians blod (Vildheks #2)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • Himmelherren
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #2)
  • Slaget i Caïssa (1-3)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Ildprøven (Vildheks, #1)
  • Whispers in the Dark
I was born in Denmark on a dark and stormy night in November 1976. I began writing when I was a teenager. My first book was a really awful horror novel titled Nidhug's Slaves. It didn't get published. Luckily.

During the next 7 years, I wrote nearly 20 novels-all of which were rejected-while working as a school teacher. The rest of the time I spent writing.

In 2000 I published my debut fantasy

The Great Devil War (6 books)
  • The Die of Death: The Great Devil War II
  • The Wrongful Death (The Great Devil War #3)
  • The Angel of Evil (The Great Devil War #4)
  • The Fallen Angel (The Great Devil War #5)
  • The Fallen Devil (The Great Devil War #6)