Start by marking “The Reluctant Buddhist” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Buddhist

The Reluctant Buddhist

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This book is about Buddhism, and the pursuit of happiness. The author takes us on an intensely personal journey into the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, which has now been embraced by many millions of people around the world. It is not in any way about a remote, abstract, inaccessible, philosophy. It is about Buddhism in daily life; about learning in a wholly practical way, ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Grosvenor House Publishing Limited (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Buddhist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Buddhist

Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
William Woollard broke many complex concepts down into very interesting, readable and understandable parts. I was very pleased to read his own interesting explanations and deeper understandings of Nichiren Buddhist teachings, they were new, fresh and helped me have a greater insight into concepts I thought I had grasped.

What I really appreciated was that William Woollard didn’t water down any concepts or teachings, instead I found him to do the opposite, he elaborated, and that is one of the rea
Fabio Parisini
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fabio by: Elisa
Skye Robinson Hillis
The content is interesting but it's the most badly edited (if edited at all?) book I've ever read.
Kylie Martin
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
taken my a while to get through which is unusual for buddhist books. it was interesting and is a good insight to the practice. i found bits useful
Rebeca illescas
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful philosophy now all I do is practice it everyday, that's the hard part. But that's the point.
Shelley James
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Considering I have a 7 month old baby that demands a lot of my time, I managed to read this book so quickly as I couldn't put it down. This book was recommended to me by a friend, and it is one of the best books I have read about Buddhism. The thing that I liked the most about this book, is that it is written in the style of a personal experience, although it doesn't go into too much detail about William Woollard's experience - I know this doesn't make sense, but read it and you will understand. ...more
Chris Carlisle
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read many a book on the subject of Nichiren's Buddhism. This one is a keeper. Well written in an easy to understand Western perspective. Anyone can practice this life philosophy. William Woollard has been able to explain a lot of the subtle nuances of this religion that many others have only scratched the surface. He admits that he was a skeptic in the beginning, even coming from a Catholic family. Reluctant as he says, because he thought that at first he would sort of debunk this practic ...more
Viki Holmes
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic and inspiring book: I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for an introduction to Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, as it writes about key concepts in a clear and lucid voice, managing to be both thoughtful and matter of fact. It explains in simple terms, without being simplistic, and balances the theoretical with the practical beautifully. William Woollard also includes the personal experiences of practising Buddhists, which were immensely inspiring.
I'd also recommend
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT book for anyone interested in Nichiren Buddhism or is looking to find out more information about Buddhism in general. The first person perspective makes it a very relatable read. The author's pursuit to dissuade his partner's Buddhist practice only brings him a much clearer understanding of what Buddhism is really about. Totally recommend it (and will let you borrow my copy once I get it back from another friend) (^_^)
Judy Juanita
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this several years ago and immediately gave it to one friend, then another, another and another. I've probably bought 5 copies. It explains my practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in such a reasonable yet very poignant story. The author goes on a journey to disprove Soka Gakkai Buddhism's veracity and is very honest about his surprising experience. He doesn't convert and that's not the point. He understands the phenomenon, the principles and the passion.
Paul Bombach
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an insightful book that gives the perspective of a Buddhist who came to Buddhism as an extreme skeptic. The branch of Buddhism discussed in Nichiren Buddhism which seems to be different from the branch of Buddhism most Americans are familiar with. This is a great read if you have any interest in Buddhism.
Jennifer K
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Nichiren Buddhists
Recommended to Jennifer by: Found it on Amazon
I haven't finished this one yet, but it is a moving account of one man's journey from being a "I do not need spirituality to be happy" to embracing Nichiren Buddhism with all of his heart and life. i expect the second half to be as good as the first.
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book for people interested in Buddhism or just starting the study of Buddhism.
Deborah J.
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book about Lotus Buddhism written about a man who, at first, set out to find proof that it was all nonsense. This perspective from a skeptic-turned-buddhist is priceless!
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So interesting!
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting introduction to the Soka Gakkai movement, from a Western perspective. But somehow, I got bogged down in the middle and didn't finish it.
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Libro semplice e chiaro che coglie la vera essenza del Buddismo di Nichiren Daishonin. Lo consiglio a chi si vuole avvicinare a questa pratica o ne è semplicemente incuriosito!
by Ax
Da lontano

A grandi linee illustra alcuni aspetti del pensiero buddista e li rende comprensibili per chi li affronta per la prima volta. Tutto qui.
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to Nichiren Buddhism.
Anne S
Sep 04, 2016
Aug 28, 2011
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
  • Unlocking the Mysteries of Birth  Death: . . . And Everything in Between, A Buddhist View Life
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • The Essential Canon of Classical Music
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • Hypnosis for Beginners: Reach New Levels of Awareness & Achievement
  • The Malice of Unnatural Death (Knights Templar, #22)
  • The Accelerated Learning Handbook: A Creative Guide to Designing and Delivering Faster, More Effective Training Programs
  • An Integrated Approach To Business Studies
  • A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present
  • The Buddha, Geoff and Me