Start by marking “Watermelon Snow” as Want to Read:
Watermelon Snow

Watermelon Snow

Deep within the melting Blue Glacier in the Washington wilderness, climate scientist Dr. Kate Landry makes a remarkable discovery. Determined to conceal it from colleagues eager to steal her work, she must somehow distract the behavioral scientist NASA sends to study her team.

From the moment he sets foot on the ice, Dr. Grant Poole finds himself in a strange world of unex
Published June 6th 2017 by Sandra Jonas Publishing (first published May 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Watermelon Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watermelon Snow

Start your review of Watermelon Snow
Julie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Watermelon Snow by William A Ligget is 2017 Sandra Jonas Publishing publication.

Tense, white-knuckled suspense-

Kate, a scientist, working inside the Blue Glacier located in the Washington wilderness, makes an incredible discovery, but must leave it behind for a while due to dangerous conditions. Just when she has the green light to return, she and her team are annoyed at having to put up with Grant Poole, who will be observing the team as they work.

Kate is furious when she learns of this stip
Luvtoread
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very good and suspenseful environmental thriller. This story is well-written and has a little bit of everything to appeal to most horror and dark mystery enthusiasts. Many unexpected surprises that will have you on the edge of your seat with many tense moments of feelings of apprehension tingling your spine. Nice, helpful amount of scientific research data yet written for the average layman to understand which makes the book comprehensive and believable.

I highly recommend this book to thos
Jordan
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was my first climate-based thriller and I was not disappointed. This book read at a great pace, but was different than my normal action thrillers I usually read. The suspense the author creates with the events in the book drives the pace of the read. I could not put this book down; just when I thought it was a good place to take a break, BAM, more suspense and I had to keep reading. I really hope there is a sequel! Great work William!
Ami
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deep on the melting Blue glacier in the Washington wilderness, climate scientist Dr. Kate Landry makes a remarkable discovery. When people on her team begin to die from a mystery illness, Kate is in a race against time to save her discovery and the lives of millions.

Pretty enthralling adventure! Learned a little bit about melting glaciers and climate change without the story ever becoming too preachy. Did a good job of just stating some facts. The overall story was face paced and kept the tensio
Joy D
Climate scientist Dr. Kate Landry and her research partner, Frank, have made an unusual discovery in a glacial ice pack in the state of Washington. They seek to keep it under wraps until they can “get credit” for it. NASA scientist Dr. Grant Poole is joining the team this season to observe Landry’s leadership skills, with a goal of helping teams in the space program. While Landry’s team is conducting research, several team members contract a mysterious illness, leading to a series of life-threat ...more
Eric
Watermelon Snow is an interesting adventure story about a science team doing research on a glacier in Olympic National Park in Washington state. The backdrop for the story are real places. I was able to look at a Park map and follow along the places described in the story. Even the red algae in which the title of the book is derived also exists.

The book is well written for the most part. The characters are kind of shallow and the tension is somewhat contrived. The plot twists are fairly predic
Sharon M. Turner
A Can't Put It Down Book!

This is one of those " I'll just read one more chapter, then I'll go to bed" books. Unique twist to an ecology story. Join the cast on the ice and read on. It's a great story . You might even think about what's happening to the earth when you're done. What IS behind the ice wall?????
Pattie Anderson
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating story with unexpected twists and turns. I enjoyed this one so much. Liggett manages to weave a story around climate change that makes the issue come to life with the concern of the characters involved. It begs for a sequel to see what they will do next.
Casey
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Normally I would not have picked up a book such as “Watermelon Snow”, but I did because I received a free copy, and oh boy am I happy that I read this! This is William A. Liggett first and only book, which is a shame, for he is an excellent [scientific] writer—he helped me understand certain terminology and what was going on, while holding my interest. However, I was far more interested in the first half of the book than I was the second, mainly due to the unsettling suspension of the mysterious ...more
Christina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really didn't know what I've gotten into it. I expected some heavy climate story and a darker book but this was surprisingly great!

And heck I couldn't put it down! I always told myself before sleep I will read 2 chapters and go to sleep - LOL biggest lie! It was intriguing and the characters are very well written!

It's also great that it's about a real location - such fun googling all the places and seeing fantastic pictures!

Lois
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

I couldn't put this down. I read it in one afternoon and evening. The plot was intriguing and the characters well written.
B.J. Smith
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story of ambition, courage, climate science and human conflict in the mountains of the U.S. Northwest.
Leslie
This is like a Sy-fy channel version of a tech thriller. The main character, Kate Landry, is a stereotypical bitchy, bossy, irrational female. She is researching climate change on a glacier in Washington State when she and her colleague discover a mysterious object in the ice. Now Kate wants to keep this a secret so she can claim the credit...

The next summer they are back now accompanied by a NASA behavioral scientist who is to study her group dynamic and use it to postulate how astronauts on l
Wendy
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads
Shelves: scify-adventure
One of the most exciting and imaginative sci-fi novels I’ve read this year is “Watermelon Snow” set on the Snow Dome of Blue Glacier in Washington’s Olympic National Park. It opens when Dr. Kate Landry whose research funding is on the verge of being cut makes a remarkable discovery in an unsafe tunnel of ice. Needing the exposure that her find will bring Kate’s determined to keep it secret even from the behavioral scientist, Dr. Grant Poole who’s been sent by NASA to study her team’s cohesivenes ...more
Angela Higgs
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My oh My! Can I rate this higher than a 5? From the very beginning this book draws you into the story, almost as if you are observing all that is happening. Dr. Kate Landry is a climate scientist working in a glacier in Glacier National Park. The season before, on the last day of the study, she noticed a shadow in the ice. As this season approached, she was excited and eager to explore the shadow and find out if it was what she thought. Then she finds out that a NASA behavior scientist was going ...more
Sandi Lee
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This fast-paced "cli-fi" adventure takes place on the Blue Glacier of Washington State's Olympic Penisula. Blue Glacier is a large but rapidly shrinking glacier that descends from the 7,980 ft Mount Olympus. Great sense of place and innumerous plot twists. Well-researched with lots of "food-for-thought" regarding climate change. Highly recommended. ...more
Rich Israel
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Liggett has created a compelling tale that combines the very real threat of climate change with all the elements of a good novel—danger, suspense, discovery, and a touch of romance. A fine read that will keep you turning the pages.
Judy Nesbitt
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Watermelon Snow

I loved Watermelon Snow. I read it in one sitting. I felt like I knew each person. Wonderful story. Will be reading more of his books.
Troy J. Messner
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it cover to one cover in one sitting

Excellent i am a big fan of this author n eagerly look forward to more books i am not discussing the plot because I want every other reader to experience it firsthand!!! 5 stars
Mo van Rossum
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, giveaways
As a layperson with probably above average interest in climate change and science in general, I was eager to read this novel, my first introduction to the 'cli-fi' genre. After 8 attempts to win this book in a giveaway I was lucky enough to win it. I'm not used to writing reviews, but considering the trouble the author went to to send a second copy my way when the first seemed to have gotten lost in the mail, I owe him an honest review. So here goes!

Watermelon Snow was a quick and easy read, a w
Elaine
I won a copy of Watermelon Snow from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I was excited when I received my copy because I was expecting an exciting story revolving around our ever worsening climate change crisis and some kind of frightening pandemic a la The Thing but without Kurt Russell.

And it started out okay.

Dr. Kate Landry and her PhD student and assistant makes a startling discovery in a glacier during an expedition.

When they return the following spring to unearth the find of the century, she swears
Jr
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enticing Story

From the moment I started reading this book, it was a real challenge to put it down. The plot of the story was great. It is a masterpiece that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Clearly one of the best books that I have ever read. Keep the stories coming!
Gayle
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book starts with Professor Kate Landry and her PhD student collecting samples from a glacier which is cracking and starting to melt. They are standing inside a tunnel which was carved into the glacier years ago to study the effects that global warming has on the glacier. They happen to find something inside the tunnel but with the condition the tunnel is in they have to wait until they return months later to resume their work and see what they found. When they return they have several new pe ...more
Joan
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Climate scientist Kate Landry has made a startling discovery deep in the Blue Glacier. Wary of sharing her discovery too soon, she and her students are settling into their summer research on the glacier and determining just how to proceed with their discovery.

But it’s difficult keeping secrets from the behavioral scientist NASA sent to study Kate’s team. And when an unexpected tragedy occurs, throwing everything into chaos, can Kate protect everyone and still keep her discovery a secret?

Well-de
Eva
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read

"Watermelon Snow" is a novel filled with adventure and suspense. Two climate research scientists make an unusual discovery on the glacier in Washington's Olympic National Park.

When they return the following season, another scientist joins them; however, he is not to be trusted. In addition, various other factors throw challenges at Dr. Kate Landry’s way.

The novel moves at a good pace and provides the reader with a good read.
Bob Abbott
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Very well done. The story line was really good, excellent character development and scientifically accurate. A very entertaining and informative plot. Lots of excellent focus on global warming and the environment all of which is fascinating to me.
Hopefully the author continues with this theme. I hope the next book comes before to long.
Howard
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book with a good combination of suspense, science, and adventure. The characters were interesting and developed well. An easy read that was hard to put down. Would love to see this develope into a series of books to see what's next. A great start for a new author. Hope to see more from him. ...more
Sarah S
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! It was a thrilling story with interesting science weaved into the plot. It moved at a fast pace and I felt like I was on the Blue Glacier. Many of the scenes and images felt cinematic and I could see it being adapted for a movie.
Adam Ross
What a fantastic adventure! Not only was this book fun to read but also provided an inside look at how an outbreak gets handled and the exciting discovery of a mammoth hidden in a glacier.

A must-read for outdoor lovers and wannabe scientists.
Sue Williams
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Kate Landry, who is well known for her ability to create great teamwork, and her team of scientists head up to Blue Glacier in Washington to dig around and see if they could unearth something worthwhile. Kate and one of the members of her team definitely find something and Kate doesn't want anyone else to know about it, yet. NASA decides to send a behavioral scientist there to follow Kate around and figure out how she creates such cooperative teams. This fouls up Kate's plans and she needs t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: Watermelon Snow by William A. Liggett, Jr - 2 stars 1 14 Jun 06, 2019 10:04AM

• The Surge
  • The Gamma Sequence (The Gamma Sequence #1)
  • Backwater
  • Altered Genes: Genesis
  • The Fifth Juror (Women of Redemption #2)
  • Hail Storme (Wyatt Storme)
  • Kowloon Bay (Abby Kane FBI Thriller, #6)
  • The Phoenix Series: Books 1-3
  • It Ends Here (Rebekka Franck #10)
  • Killing Time in Charleston (Nick Janzek Charleston Mysteries Book, #1)
  • The Cold Trail (Sean Kruger #4)
  • Girl, Abandoned
  • Ten Little Girls (Rebekka Franck, #9)
  • In One Fell Swoop
  • The Troubles Keeper
  • The Girl from Her Mirror (Mirrors Don't Lie #1)
  • The Unusuals
  • Never Mess with Mistletoe (Leigh Koslow Mystery #10)
See top shelves…
Bill Liggett writes fiction that blends behavioral and earth sciences in the new cli-fi (climate fiction) literary genre. His goal is to paint a hopeful future, based on solutions to global warming. He holds a BS in geology and an MA in education, both from Stanford University, and a PhD in applied social psychology from New York University. Among the many positions he has held over the years, he ...more