Start by marking “Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life” as Want to Read:
Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life

Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  34,012 ratings  ·  2,661 reviews

Joining the ranks of The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, You Are a Badas*, and F*ck Feelings comes this refreshing, BS-free, self-empowerment guide that offers an honest, no-nonsense, tough-love approach to help you move past self-imposed limitations.

Are you tired of feeling fu*ked up? If you are, Gary John Bishop has the answ

Published August 1st 2017 by HarperOne (first published October 22nd 2016)

·  34,012 ratings  ·  2,661 reviews

Start your review of Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life
Skyler Autumn
3.5 Stars

Should I read into the fact my mom gifted me with this book?

Gary John Bishop embraces his Scottish decent in his no nonsense, get your shit together diatribe in the astutely titled self help book UnF*ck Yourself. The book is broken into seven personal assertions that are labelled and then thoroughly broken down and explained in repetitive detail.

I am willing
I am wired to win
I got this
I embrace uncertainty
I am not my thoughts: I am what I do
I am relentless
I expect nothing and accept
Fernando Gros
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite an eye-catching title and the promise of edgy, life-changing advice, this little self-help book really doesn't deliver. Recycled ideas we've heard before, like imagine the life you want the set steps to get there, or lower your expectations to live happily in the moment aren't even the worst of it. This book assumes the reader is wealthy and has total agency in their life. If you are disabled, ill, or have experienced abuse, or institutional marginalisation this book has nothing for you. ...more
Emma Sea
Quite liked this. Straight talking, no bullshit, easy language, and a fast read. Bishop details seven "personal assertions" to live your life by:

I am willing
I am wired to win
I got this
I embrace uncertainty
I am not my thoughts: I am what I do
I am relentless
I expect nothing and accept everything

Laying it out like this make it sound like it's new-agey affirmation, staring into the mirror and repeating "I got this," but it really isn't. Rather it's Bishop telling you to pull your fucking finger out
Edward Lorn
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you struggle to get out of bed in the morning not because you're disabled but because your own thoughts are keeping you down, try this. It won't help everyone, but it helped me.
Spencer Borup
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**EDIT** I'm bumping this down from two stars to one, because a paragraph that infuriated me just popped back into my head: toward the end, the author, Gary John Bishop, actually says that medication isn't helpful and is just a crutch, and that if you're depressed then you need to just "get off your ass." That's incredibly harmful advice, and at no point does he give that "I'm not a medical professional" spiel. Fuck that. **EDIT**

Meh. If you picked this book based on its title, look elsewhere at
ScienceOfSuccess
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waiting
Gary's book is short and simple.
If you are looking for a change in your life, you will love it!
Check my animated review here:

Animated Book Review

>> bit.ly/UnfkYourself <<

Michael
I listened to this on Audible, where Gary John Bishop's Scottish accent adds priceless enthusiasm and flavor to the material.

The material for that matter, is nothing new, just basic self-empowerment tenants. But something about having basic tenants spoken to you in an aggressive Scottish accent is inspiring.

It's not a life changing book, but at under 3.5 hours as an audiobook, it did help me change my attitude in a few distinct instances throughout the day. And I can attribute some good days to
Ashley
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a psychologist I often like to read self-help books my clients might read or my students might encounter. Sometimes I use them to drive home points or offer them as resources. I like to see what is out there. This book is actually pretty good at illustrating basic Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and REBT principles. For that, I would have given it a solid 4 stars! I think it drives home the very very very basics of CBT in a "average citizen" sort of way. However, if you have ANY exposure to ther ...more
Theresa Alan
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book that definitely has some inspiring words in it, although in this time in history, some of the stuff he recommends doing really can’t be done until the whole world isn’t quarantined (like starting a new job or relationship when we’re not supposed to leave our homes would be tricky). I read this to help do the best I can today and what can I do when the world returns to something like normal.

He talks a lot about our self talk and how we can talk ourselves out of taking action
Cindy
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway, non-fiction
I quite like this book. It's a different approach and a kick in the butt to get you out of a rut. One of the most important bits to take away is that we are not our thoughts but we are what we do. Bishop insists that we need to act, even if we don't feel like it. When we choose not to act, we need to face the fact that we're not willing. Inaction is, in effect, action and can be debilitating and have a domino effect. If you just want a hug and to be told nothing is your fault, well, this probabl ...more
Darwin8u
"This is a conversational slap from the universe to wake you up to your true potential, to unfuck yourself, and get spectacularly into your life."
- Gary John Bishop, Unfu*k Yourself

description

Gary John Bishop has written a short, interesting, and rather novel self-help book. Well, the title isn't novel. It seems to flow into a rather popular subcategory of self-help book dedicated to "unfu*king, not giving a f*ck, or f*ck feeling". What he's basically doing, I guess, is now referred to as urban philosophy.
Krista Danis
I think Bishop is going for the direct, "tough love" type approach with this book, which presumes that the reader is perpetually miserable, lazy, fat, and unsatisfied. These assumptions restrict his meandering diatribe to exactly that which he claims to loathe--a basic mantra-driven self-help trope that lazily posits, "Just do it!," as its main thesis. If that commanding cheer was enough to rip people from the grips of paralyzing fear (of change, unpredictability, the unknown, or even basic disc ...more
Matt
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to leave a negative review of this book without falling into one of the many traps we find ourselves falling into as human beings or, as the author puts it, the ways we fu*k ourselves. Fortunately, I don't have to. As a tool for turning one's life around, it could possibly be the most effective book of all time in this regard. Such a statement perplexes me then as to why some people would leave negative reviews such as, "there's nothing new here" or "there's no new information" or "it' ...more
Amy Bruestle
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I listened to this in audiobook form. I didn’t finish it because I knew most of the contents already. The information provided, and the way the narrator explains the text, is just right! I like the “REAL” approach that the author takes. This is probably the most honest, down-to-earth self-help book that I have ever read. And I have read quite a few considering my major is in Social Work, specializing in Trauma therapy and Substance Abuse therapy specifically. Great book. Highly recommend!
Catherine
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Not the worst self-help book I’ve read, but not the most memorable either. I do have to say though that Gary John Bishop was very motivating – I liked the 7 personal assertions he broke each chapter down by:

1. I am willing
2. I am wired to win
3. I got this
4. I embrace uncertainty
5. I am not my thoughts; I am what I do
6. I am relentless
7. I expect nothing and accept everything

The main idea this book presents is that you can’t just sit around waiting for life to hand you things or for you to be ‘r
Yodamom
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Works for me
Sara
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You are not your thoughts. You are your actions. You are what you do. And your actions are the only thing separating you from where you are and where you want to be."

Each person is his own worst enemy!! Overthinking every thought, action and problem will just make everything much worse than it actually is. And sometimes the hardest thing is to fight yourself. But that is also the most important thing to do. You have to be in charge of your own thoughts and be your own motivator and number one f
Andy
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The advice is basic stuff about breaking negative thought loops. So the question here is whether someone using F*CK as a bad word and yelling at you in a Scottish accent is particularly helpful to you for getting the message across. For me, not so much.

Managing Your Mind The Mental Fitness Guide by Gillian Butler Wherever You Go, There You Are Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life by Jon Kabat-Zinn

P.S. Got this free from the library.
Mehrsa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who follows my reviews (all three of you) know that I have a weak spot for dumb self-help books and I have to read one like every month. This one was a good one. It's short, helpful, and a nice reminder to get your expectations in check. Nothing revelatory here, but it's an easy read and I think he's basically right and the advice is sound.
Rodney C.
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bishop offers nothing new in this book. I'd heard all of it before.

Maybe it's the fact that mine was the audio book and he's Scottish. Maybe it's the title. Maybe it's his use of expletives within the book. Not sure. But it gave me just the kick in the groin I needed to put common personal development themes in play... to act. So the sub-title is really on point.

Bishop also presents "detachment from outcome" more succinctly than anyone I've read thus far. I had understood it, but found it diffi
Neffertiti Lee
Apr 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read it with book club. It was a basic self-help book. The message was straightforward and did not have any deep or meaningful insights. While it was warm and fuzzy it did not provide any life or mind altering ideas that were impactful. I was not excited to finish it at all.
Liza Fireman
I'm not a huge fan of self help kind of books, and most of the time also not a fan of books where the author seems to be shouting at the readers. This book really annoyed me at the beginning, but then it got to me. And I think that was something that I needed a reminder of lately.

The book consists of short chapters, the names speak for themselves. “I am willing”, “I am wired to win”, “I got this”, “I embrace the uncertainty” , “I am not my thoughts; I am what I do” , “I am relentless”, “I expect
Bibliovoracious
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not into shouty boot strap boosterism. As though, if you say something louder, with swear words, it's more inspiring. A shallow dabble in well-known (other people's) success strategies- completely forgettable. Luckily, it's only the length of a pamphlet.
TheGeekyBlogger
Read for Review (Edelweiss)
Overall Rating: 3.75

Quick Thoughts: While there wasn't anything new in this book, I did like the presentation. This was about self-talk. How to do it, what we are doing wrong, and how you get in your own way. He reminds you to talk in present tense (future tense gives you a way out) and make sure to be kind/inspiring to yourself. He also talks about the self-talk we do about others and that impacts us. He was right on about that! What and how we think of others impacts
Amal Bedhyefi
"Life won't stop for your pauses and procrastinations. It won't stop for your confusion or fear. It will continue right along without you. Whether you play an active part or not,the show will go on."
Unfortunately, that's very true.
Unfuck Yourself by Gary John Bishop was the first book I read in 2020 and I couldn't ask for a better start for my year.
To be quite honest,there is nothing groundbreaking here or anything that you haven't heard or read before.
But the delivery and his writing style ar
Amanda Kenny
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complete and utter garbage.

I am so glad I didn’t buy this book and just borrowed it from the library instead. When I first started listening to the audio version of this book, I was excited and eager to learn something new. But this isn’t new. It’s completely recycled. And not only that, the messages Gary John Bishop is regurgitating are some of the most garbage personal improvement messages out there. As others have pointed out, Mr. Bishop has some seriously privileged blinders on and completel
Marvin Franke
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You've heard all these ideas before in different forms. That is possibly true for the majority of the books that promise to improve your life. However, from time to time there is a book that strikes exactly the right tone, finds exactly the right words for you, so it has a real impact on your way of thinking. This book did this for me. I loved its no-bullshit approach, and I can recommend it to anyone who likes a mental slap in the face.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
There is nothing here that is new, but it’s laid out in a very clear way and with an engaging, no nonsense style. If you’ve ever done yoga or meditation, you will probably already know that everyone has negative thoughts and those thoughts are meaningless. Action in spite of negative thought leads to real gains and improvements. That is the gist of this book - if you want to accomplish something, ignore your monkey-mind and just do it.
Ericka Clouther
Absolutely nothing new or interesting here. You know what conveys the ideas here in a much more interesting, moving, and satisfying way? The movie Groundhog's Day with Bill Murray. Seriously, it's an amazing movie.
Sarra Ouali
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am so glad that this is the first book that I chose to start GR reading challenge. I have never been a fan of self-help books, I’ve never even read one before so this is a first for me and it wasn’t a bad experience to be honest. What I loved the most about this book is that it is not the kind of unleash-the-beast-tiger-inside-of-you type of book, on the contrary it is the get- your –shit- together- and -carry your- negative- thoughts- along -the ride –that- is –your- life- kind- of- book. The ...more

• You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Get Your Sh*t Together: How to Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)
  • Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be
  • Never Split the Difference
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Dare to Lead
Gary John Bishop began his life journey in Glasgow, Scotland. The grit and wit of his early life have contributed to his tough-love, in-your-face approach to coaching. Coupled with world-class training and development, Gary has created a potent brew of effectiveness and the ability to reach through the crust of people's lives and root out the deeper issues that consume them and tie them to their h ...more