Start by marking “The Cut” as Want to Read:
The Cut

The Cut

The Cut is a commissioned novel responding to Brexit. Published on the first anniversary of the EU referendum on June 23rd 2017, it will be a fictional exploration of the forces that split Britain apart.

The Cut is a wound, of course, but it is more than that. Cairo Jukes walks the towpaths of "the cut", the Black Country term for the canals that web this small region of E
Published June 8th 2017 by Peirene Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cut

Paul Fulcher
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: indy-presses, 2017
People were sick and tired of being told what to think and not think. He would try to explain that to her.

Peirene Press is another of the UK's small independent publishers. They are best known for focusing on Contemporary European Literature. Thought provoking, well designed, short. and indeed they managed an incredible run of 6 consecutive longlist places for the Independent Foreign Fiction (and it's reincarnation as the Man Booker International) Prize with 2016: White Hunger, 2015: The Dead La
Neil
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Peirene Press is "an award-winning boutique publishing house with an extra twist, based in London". It’s mission is described on its website as "Two-hour books to be devoured in a single sitting: literary cinema for those fatigued by film".

The Cut is a specially commissioned Brexit novel published on the anniversary of the referendum. It is possibly a British book: I am not sure what other nationalities will make of it. It is recommended reading for Brits, though, whichever way you voted.

There w
Gumble's Yard
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018r, 2017
People are tired. Tired of clammed-up factory gates, but not even them any more, because look where they are working now, digging trenches to tat out the last of whatever metal was left. Tired of change, tired of the world passing by, tired of other people getting things that you and people like you had made for them, tired of being told you were no good, tired of being told that what you believed to be true was wrong, tired of being told to stop complaining, tired of being told what to eat, wh
Jonathan Pool
The founder of the publisher of The Cut Meike Ziervogel :Peirene Press opens the book with a screaming 30 point typeface stating

"The result of the EU referendum shocked me....What fears-and what hopes-drove my fellow citizens to vote for Brexit? I commissioned Anthony Cartwright to build a fictional bridge between the two Britain's that have opposed each other since that referendum day "
The blurb on the rear of the book also starts off: "The cut is a Brexit novel"

So that’s it then, this is one
Jackie Law
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Cut, by Anthony Cartwright, is set in the Black Country, where the skeletons of the industrial past are now regarded by those who have benefited from it the most as a blight. Cairo Jukes has lived in Dudley all his life. He feels indivisible from the land. His ancestors were amongst the men who dug the canals and tunnels, worked the foundries. None of these jobs now exist. Cairo works zero hour contracts cleaning up the old industrial sites ready for redevelopment, a tidying up and sweeping ...more
Fenella Watson
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was one of the Kickstarter backers for this book, published by Peirene Press. I like the work the publisher does. This was rare in that it was both being written in English, and was being written specifically for the publisher. Usually Peirene Press publish English translations of famous works in non-English languages.

The book was meant to be about Brexit.
I came out quite dissatisfied. It's not a style that particularly suits me anyway. I found it depressing - and not just because it's about
Marc Nash
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCENk...

Also I wasn't sure about the ending, it seemed to have switched victims from the opening scene. Also the woman in the mobility scooter in the opening scene seems to be the ringleader of the mob, in the end version of the scene she seems to be the one trying to help the victim. Is this somehow echoing that old Guardian TV advert of the aggressive looking skinhead charging towards the camera who our prejudices presume is bent on violence, when t
Marina Sofia
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pitch-perfect portrayal of a divided contemporary Britain, yet it does not feel like a political tract or preaching.
Anna
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, brexit
I began ‘The Cut’ under a misapprehension - that it was by Justin Cartwright rather than Anthony Cartwright. I’d read Justin Cartwright’s Other People's Money and found it an interesting commentary on high finance in British society, so wondered what he had to say about Brexit. Easy mistake to make, right? ‘The Cut’ is a commissioned novel, intended to comment on the EU referendum and what it says about Britain. Or rather England. I found it insightful in parts, but not to the extent I’d hoped f ...more
John Eliot
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Cut Anthony Cartwright

I attended the Arts Festival in Salerno, Italy, last week. Events were mostly Italian, but there was more than enough to keep this English speaker happy in this beautiful city. One event was advertised as author Anthony Cartwright speaking about his book, 'The Cut' which was about Brexit. Brexit is a subject I want to know about, so I went along expecting to hear Mr Cartwright speaking about his non fiction book on Brexit.
I was wrong.
'The Cut' is a novel, set in Dudley
Christina
Meike Ziervogel, the publisher of Periene Press, writes in her short introduction that she “commissioned Anthony Cartwright to build a fictional bridge between the two Britains that opposed each other on referendum day”. To achieve that aim, Cartwright gives us two characters — Grace, a documentary film maker from London, and Cairo Jukes, a day laborer in Dudley — and alternates their story in the “before” and the “after”.

The “before” and the “after” aren’t centered around the vote to Leave or R
MargCal

1.5 ☆
Finished reading ... The Cut / Anthony Cartwright ... 08 September 2018
ISBN: 9781908670403 … 129 pp.

The review of this novella that prompted me to request my local library to buy it said: This is a gem of a novel; quietly devastating. (The Tablet 27 Jan.2018) I'm afraid I didn't find it so, probably largely due to the style in which it is written. I'd have thought there were enough novels being written but nevertheless, this is a commissioned work on the subject of Brexit.

The novella is a
Jake Goretzki
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5

I really like the Peirene concept ('cinema for people who don't have the patience for cinema' - if you will - is me to a tee). I was also taken by the setting (not hard... these are still such shockingly underexplored places in modern literature); I found Cairo fairly engaging. Traces of fantasy and tasty metaphor in those tunnels and caves too.

I'm just not sure how revealing the politics side of it was. However passionate, earnest and Mellors-y those complaints that 'we built the country and
Anne Goodwin
While the distinctions, and unexpected commonalities, between the two main characters are well portrayed, to me they seemed little different to those between North and South, the provinces and the metropolis, the middle class and the barely-working working-class, the arty types and those with a more practical bent. That, of course, might be the point, that a metropolitan elite has ignored its detractors for too long.
Full review
Two novel reflections on current sociopolitics in the US and UK http:
Oryx
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not bad at all, metaphor and all.
It is what it is, although, maybe, some of the accent in dialogue didn't work that well, was off-putting, but when read aloud was of course, perfect, so what to say?

The prologue bit was all kinds of wonderful and the writing was nice and clipped.
But, ultimately it was a British novel.

3.89
Michelle Wilson
I was told it was a book about Brexit. It was a confusing book where the two protagonists meet each other by chance and become entangled by circumstances. It was a short book that posed many questions. Written in a patois sometimes difficult to comprehend, it gave in the end a real uneasiness about the English choice of leaving the Union, and very confused reasons to do,so.
Branka Njegic
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first book written about Brexit.
It describes how the election process and aftermath divided people and how the whole attitude towards foreigners changed almost overnight.
It's a very good read although a bit confusing in some bits.
Jonathan Norton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The 2016 referendum in the Black Country. Like Henry Green's "Living" turned inside-out.
Gary Homewood
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taut, pacy novella about a relationship across the Brexit north/south divide. Political and personal mis-communication, and an artful examination of the state-of-the-nation via family and history.
Tanya
Nov 04, 2017
andy miller
Jul 08, 2017
Kristy
rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2018