Start by marking “Dragonship” as Want to Read:
Dragonship

Dragonship

Beln, Gellborn officer aboard a red dragonship has reached the near-peak of her career.

But ordered to pursue a rare, wild dragon by her sadistic captain, Beln is torn between those loyalties bred into her and those grown anew for her ship's mount.

During horrific havoc among his fellow gunners, a Gellborn family failure acts on the sudden realization that his heritage is fa
Kindle Edition, 1, 30 pages
Published July 15th 2017 by J.P. Ashman

To ask other readers questions about Dragonship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonship

James Lafayette Tivendale
An enjoyable dragon-fuelled short tale. I want to read it again before reviewing. Watch this space x
J.P. Ashman
May 29, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Don't miss out on News about my new releases (such as Black Guild), future promotions and your FREE e-book (Dragonship!) plus more free content in future. Join others and sign up to my Newsletter below:

Sign me up, JP!

description
Stefan Bach
Dragonship. Ship! on top! of a dragon!
With guns blazing, endless excitement and humor of a ragged crew known only by their numbers and a badass female sub-commander - all on a hunt for a wild dragon.
And that glorious ending!

J.P. we need this expanded. Fast. We need 250K words novel about this.
We need more of this action high above and we need intricacies and politics down bellow.
We need more Belns and more Eights.
Fantasy genre is ready.

I highly recommend this short story. Treat yourselves wit
Nimrod Daniel
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really nice short story about a dragonship, which is a kind of a mounted ship on a dragon's back. We are used to dragons as wild beasts, or under a command of a rider or a powerful magician, but here dragons are totally enslaved by their masters, which is somewhat refreshing. They're still wild, but tamed and controlled.

The pace is good from the get go. The plot was nice too, and there's an interesting battle between two dragons. Beln, who's the main character, was an interesting character, bu
Laura Hughes
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kickass action and gritty characters? Technology and suffering contrasted with natural majesty, stunning visual imagery and all-round epicness? Yes please!
Dyrk Ashton
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC review

It's rare that a short story can catch my attention immediately, keep me glued throughout, draw fun, interesting, rounded and real characters and make me laugh and cringe and actually feel serious emotion. Dragonship does all that. And with an ending I would never have seen coming. And dragons. Did I say dragons?

Brilliant, sharp, original, witty and emotional.
Anton
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-wave, shorts
Excellent short story! Steampunk-ish setting, very inventive spin on flying ships and dragons. Great, engaging writing too. Lots of drama despite the brief form. ...and the characters are hunting a wild dragon Moby Dick -style.

Perfect sampler of JP Ashman’s power as a writer! I will be definitely returning for more!
Marielle
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-own
I thought I'd take a short break from the tome-reading I've been doing lately by picking up this short story that was send to me for free by J.P. Ashman in return for an honest review.

And wow... did I enjoy it! I am so excited about this story and the possibilities it offers for future expanding! I read it in about half an hour but what a ride it was. I truly connected to the main characters (both human and non-human) and experienced a wide range of emotions, including sadness, anger and a fair
Jon Adams
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story did exactly what a short story should, make me want to read more. Well done.
Alice at Raptureinbooks
Without a doubt, the easiest five stars I can give a book. This short standalone novelette about wild dragons and mounted ships is to die for; with a interesting and unique concept with a distinctly piratey feel.

Eloquently written with a great set of characters. Those on the gundeck named as numbers - my opinion named as when they arrived.

The Gellborn elites above deck are focused around Beln and Fustian - Fustian a sadistic ass and Beln our heroine of the hour with more morals than she should
T.L.
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC review.

I've not yet read Black Cross, so this was my introduction to Ashman's writing. And as introductions go, it's a good one.

I loved the dragonship concept, though I'll admit that I didn't quite get it, at first, and I enjoyed our brief glimpse into different lives aboard the ship--and one not aboard the ship!

My only complaint is regarding the speed with which Beln undergoes a shift in feeling toward the red dragon. Necessary for the confines of the story, but I would have liked a bit mor
Len Evans Jr
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first reaction to reading this short story is More, More and More! The author does an amazing job of not only creationg a world, but also characters that I want to know sooooo much more about. The whole idea of Dragonships (ships riding on the back of captive dragons) is awesome. Soft-hearted as I am I immediately felt for the dragon which of course meant I identified with Beln completely. Though short this story packed a huge emotional punch and left me fascinated and needing to know more ab ...more
James Latimer
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An action-packed story that make the most of the space for atmosphere, world building, and character. The concept manages to marry seafaring tropes (both above and below decks) with fantasy/steampunk inventiveness into a thrilling package that's over too soon, even if it's just about right.
Anindita,  A Bohemian Mind at Work
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, indie
Here's the review: http://bohomind.com/dragonship-j-p-as...
Dragonship by J.P. Ashman is his latest short length work and as surprising as its namesake, the ship. What a unique concept of a ship on a dragon’s back! I want that ship. I’ll do anything for that thing. And it’s red. The cover, in my opinion, isn’t good enough for the story. It’s okay but not the usual dark and mysterious background that is associated with Jon’s books, namely Black Cross and Black Martlet. The blend of a good plot and
Shawn
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ashman has created such a creative world with this story, and I have to say I'm sad it was over so soon. I really hope to see some expansion of this someday.

The atmosphere, to me, never felt overly dark, but let me tell you there's some seriously dark stuff going down here. Dragons who have been forced into being slave-ships basically (in more ways than one): (possible spoilers ahead) (view spoiler)
Mike Everest Evans
THE GOOD: Creative concept and one I have not seen before, executed with both style and grace – it could’ve been a shit storm of scales and soggy spit, but this firebreather of a short story came out roaring.

THE BAD: Whilst I immediately recognised and related-with the main characters, I struggled to get my head around the ‘numbered men’ at first (remembering who's who), it being such a short story, but that’s part of the magic in truth – they’re number men, not named, because that’s all they ar
Kitvaria Sarene
This little story was truly an amazing read! Often short stories feel a bit lacking to me, as you don't have a lot of page time for worldbuilding - and I really need some setting to truly get grounded into a story. This one somehow managed to get a lot across, without ever feeling boring or like an infodump.
It has a really good little twist and the perfect ending.

Oh and did I mention there are dragons? There are dragons!

I hit this as a free ARC from the author, in exchange for a honest review -
Kristen
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review here, on my blog.

I really liked the premise of this one. Their ship is actually chained to a dragon. It’s kind of… dragony, and sort of piratey, and actually kind of steampunkish all at the same time. Yes, those are words. What? >.> I don’t make up words.

So, life is fairly normal among the crew of the SS we’re-riding-on-a-goddamned-dragon, when her scales begin to lighten. Usually, this means the dragon is about to shed. This is pretty rare, and only happens about once every fe
Aidan Hennessy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie, onkindle
Creating a sense of setting and building a world can be challenging in a short story (even more so than a novel), yet J.P. Ashman does an excellent job here of building a unique and compelling setting of enslaved dragons driving ships where crews hunt other, free dragons. Within a short 30 pages Ashman builds compelling characters and drives them towards a satisfying conclusion.

Heartily recommended.
Rebekah
I always find it interesting to see how different authors decide to use dragons and to what extent. In this culture, airships are mounted to dragons and connected with mechanisms that sedate and control the dragons. Dragons in the wild are extremely rare, even thought to be non-existent. When this particular ship unexpectedly discovers one, the ensuing confrontation pushes everyone past their limits and forces them to question their understanding of the status quo.

It's challenging to connect rea
Al Burke
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enslave dragons, they said. Turn them into airships, they said. It'll be fun, they said. They were wrong. A brief trip into an interesting world where the ruling class enslave everyone, even dragons. It all goes pear-shaped when a rare wild dragon spots a female who happens to be one of said airships. Battle ensues and as people began to die, old tensions flare. It won't take you long to read, but you will wish there was more of it afterwards.
Steve
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, it was short sweet and to the point. Felt like Jim Butchers Aeronauts Windlass but with those guys riding the giant elephants from the Lord of The Rings xD
Very unique, haven't read anything like this before and the ending, without spoiling anything was very satisfying. For me at least =P
note: I got this for free in exchange for an honest review.
Definitely worth your time!
G.R. Matthews
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good short story that manages to encompass family, betrayal and danger all wrapped around the hunt for riches. Add to that the clever ideas it contains and it is something that is well worth your time to read!
Miriam Michalak
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent wee novella - in just a few pages I was already hating the Gellborn captain and rooting for the dragon which say a lot about what a compelling and well written story it was.
Paul Lavender
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good short story that makes you want to read more from the author.
James (ObservantRaven)
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
When I go looking to buy a book and I discover a book that has dragons in them I am all but sold as I have always loved dragons, some might say that having dragons in fantasy books has become quite a big trope in fantasy over the years and possible a bit cliche but I for one love it because not all books have the use them in the same manner.

So as soon as I heard J.P. Ashman’s new short story Dragonship had dragons in I knew I had have to it and this became even more so apparent when I seen the c
Joseph
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received a free ARC of this short story in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first fantasy short story I have read, and it was a good place to start.

I quite enjoyed this tale of bound dragons and sailors. For so little a tale, it imparted a good amount of lore without info-dumping.

Of most interest to me was the Dragonship itself. It seemed like a ship specially crafted to fit on a dragon's back and then bound with chains to stay in place. They control the dragon with a series of butt
Sadir Samir
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Dragonship grabbed my attention from the get-go and held it firmly in place for the hour or so it took me to read it. I really enjoyed the world Ashman had created for this story, and would love to read more about this setting. The dialogue was solid and the action had a cinematic feel to it, capturing that sense of epicness you're looking for whenever big-ass Dragons do battle.

There's a couple of things that stops Dragonship from being a homerun for me: The main character's emotional journey a
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brutal and Brilliant Dragon Fantasy!

Dragonship is a fast paced tale that puts you onto the back of a wild dragon from the first page. Great characterizations and tension building as you are swept into the brutal machinations of the Gellborn, who are controlling the dragon and crews alike with tortuous pain and shocking brutality. Twisted ogres and men with so little worth they have numbers instead of names keep the Gellborn ship under the control of the sadistic captain. And Beln, whose apprecia
Trevor Sherman
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second short story by J.P. that I have read. I think this one is even better, and the first one Black Martlet earned 5 out of 5 stars.

Oh yeah I should mention I received an E-ARC From the author in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influences what I say. As always, my opinions, while completely awesome and undeniably correct, are completely my own.

Now this story is short enough that all I really should say is that it is awesome go read it, But I also want to add that it i
Born Lancashire, England, J. P. Ashman is a Northern lad through and through. His parents love wildlife, history, fantasy and science fiction, and passed their passion on to him. They read to him from an early age and encouraged his imagination at every turn. His career may be in optics, as a manager/technician, but he loves to make time for writing and reading every day. Now living rurally in the ...more