Start by marking “Take Me with You” as Want to Read:
Take Me with You

Take Me with You

For readers of Rupi Kaur (Milk and Honey) and Cheryl Strayed, a book small enough to carry with you, with messages big enough to stay with you, from one of the most quotable and influential poets of our time.

Andrea Gibson explores themes of love, gender, politics, sexuality, family, and forgiveness with stunning imagery and a fierce willingness to delve into the
Published January 23rd 2018 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about Take Me with You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Me with You

Start your review of Take Me with You
Chelsea slytherink
Sep 02, 2017 added it
Recommends it for: poetry fans
Andrea Gibson prefers they/them pronouns, so can you please stop misgendering them in your reviews?!
Romie
20 October 2017:

This is probably the purest poetry collection I've ever read.

I know poetry is extremely personal, you have to connect to an author's personal experience to really enjoy what this person has to say, and fortunately for me I did connect with Andrea Gibson. They touched my heart on so many levels, reading their poetry collection was a beautiful experience.

There is a huge message of hope hiding behind all these poems, and this collection isn't trying to sell you some easy and
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I like the idea and sentiment of these poems but I feel like the poet barely scratches the surface. It is more like they are presenting the reader with brief sentiments rather than fully developed poems. I feel like there is a lot more there, and using their themes of the intersection of politics and love, love-as-resistance, etc., I would just say, please do more with these ideas.

As they are, they fall into the Instagram/Tumblr poetry category... some compare with Rupi Kaur but I would only
Beatrice Masaluñga
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, poetry
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Since I adore Rupi Kaur's poems, I'm intrgued to give Take Me With You a try. It's a LGBTQ poem collection which explores various topics. The topics that highlighted this book were political and family related poems. Raising their voices as they struggled on being accepted by the society and their love ones. It's written with such rawness and I like it. However, some poems aren't my cup of tea particularly about love. I thought
Dhivyaa Naraayani
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Last year November, during my final week of being in Bombay, I went to this cute little bookstore which I had been wanting to go to but for some reason kept postponing (I had only gone to bookshops and pubs for the whole week, I was up to something) and I found this book. I had very little money left so I knew I couldn't have bought this so I started reading it and the store owner kept giving me glances. I couldn't obviously go past few pages thus promised I would pick it later.

And one year
Agirlcandream
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Go to Andrea Gibson’s website, https://www.andreagibson.org/ and see how they are marketing this little pocketbook of inspirational quotes.

"A pocket book, by Andrea Gibson. Out January 23rd, 2018
A book small enough to carry with you, with messages big enough to stay with you, from one of the most quotable and influential poets of our time.
Alexa
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-copies, poetry
I didn’t feel this collection of poems to be very impactful.

I want to start off with the fact that this book has gorgeous end pages and along with the gorgeous end pages, the illustrations within the book are also beautiful. Again, like I mention when I review poetry, I don't know much about poetry but I enjoy reading it and taking in the emotions and relating to it.

This collection of poetry is divided into three sections:
On love
On the world
On becoming

I felt the sections "on love" and "on the
Abantika(hiltonjenkin)

Disclaimer: Got a pre release ARC copy through Net Galley for an honest review.

Expected Publication Date: 13 February, 2018

Take Me With You is a collection of LGBTQ poems written by Andrea Gibson. And is divided into three segments: Love, The World and Becoming, through which it explores themes of love, gender, politics, sexuality, family, and forgiveness.

Few of the poems were really well written and touches your heart. But many were just, Just Bad. Among which some were too cliched and some

Yuthika
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what I was getting into when I started reading this. A whirlwind of words, and someone screaming poetry at me – responding to the poetry within me? Well, finally.
This is an important book addressing love, the world, politics, ourselves, panic attacks, and simple reminders… realisations?
And one life lesson I picked up (in Capital letters! YES!): The worst thing that ever happened to me was not the worst thing that ever happened to me. Hating myself for it was.”
Brandon Forsyth
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I laughed as much as I cried. It was a huge mistake to take this book out in public.
Ana
“Coming into our own humanity often takes enormous effort, commitment, and bravery. I believe we should be taught that at an early age. I believe part of the violence of our culture stirs from the myth that kindness is natural. I don’t think kindness is natural. I think kindness would only be natural in a world where no one is hurt, and everyone is hurt. So kindness is work. Kindness is our knees in the garden weeding our bites, our apathies, our cold shoulders, our silences, our cruelties,
jenni
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, queer
sorta trite insta-poet-like fluff punctuated by watered-down platitudes that make this kind of bottom-shelf stylizing of what is otherwise an amazing poet's polished and refreshing form into something completely lacking the much-anticipated depth. andrea gibson is a mystifying poet! but this formatting continues to embarrass me.
Adrianna
I originally was going to give this book 2 stars, but the more I read the more I started to like it. It’s not my favourite poetry book I’ve read but I felt a range of emotions and even laughed around while reading this book. I always appreciate an author that can make me feel more than one emotion and Andrea Gibson did just that.
Taylor Dee
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
So.... I didn’t love this. It wasn’t bad or unenjoyable by any means. However, I had a hard time connecting with the majority of the poems.
Maria
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I didn't mean to read Take Me With You in one sitting, but the bus ride was long and at every page I felt more alive. It was an emotional roller coaster that I will certainly be taking again... and again and again and again.

These are excerpts of poems. Some of them were new to me, some I've had the pleasure of listening to live. Some of these few lines managed to take me right back to that extraordinary moment when Andrea Gibson was in front of me, their voice everything. They are magic and they
Michelle
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thoughts after I finished it: The moment I was finished I immediately reread all of it again and I can see myself rereading it over and over again in the near future as well.

Full review

(originally posted on The Writing Hufflepuff)

Disclaimer: I received an arc of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, this means that the author may have made changes in the final print and some of the quotes used in this review may have been changed

This book was absolutely beautiful and it’s
Kate
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
There were parts of this that I loved, parts I liked, and parts that were okay- but the parts I loved, I really loved. It's not all quite poetry, but lovely bits of words stringed together in interesting and exciting ways. This is my first introduction to Andrea Gibson, but I'm looking forward to what they write in the future!
Iphios
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Some poems hit me hard in simplicity and power. Some felt like a quick scribble that didn't feel like it needed a page.

Still, those powerful ones made up for it. In the end spoken word is best spoken than read. Some of the poems i have watched Gibson perform on youtube.
Rita
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take Me With You is definitely an appropriate title. As I finished reading I felt that this would be a wonderful book to keep with you and read passages from whenever life is getting you down because “beating yourself up is never a fair fight.”

There are three parts that cover sexuality, gender, politics, feminism, family and accepting oneself. I breezed through this little book in half an hour but I was so taken with it that I know I’ll find myself revisiting it often. Not to mention, the
Philip
Dec 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
We've been thrown the scraps in a cool looking font.

I was expecting a book of poetry, whereas I read a book of quotes. Even then, I expected more - especially from a goodreads choice award nominee.

Gibson seems to have had a difficult and confusing life. Contradictions abound. Whitman: Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)

They (she) ask(s) us (me) to be kind (pg. 125) while taking a detour straight through the belly of uncensored rage.
Bree Hill
Loved Pansy by Andrea Gibson so I was very excited when I learned she had another poetry collection coming out. This one was okay to me. I hate to compare it to Pansy but Pansy completely blew me away! I couldn’t recommend it enough! I was trying to put in the hands of anyone I could. This one just didn’t leave me with that feeling. The good thing about Poetry is that everyone interprets it different and there are collections that if you read them initially at the wrong time you may reread them ...more
Sheida
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don’t want to be super negative because the author writes a lot about insecurities and the difficulties they’ve faced so I applaud them for having the courage to write this but ... here are two pages from the book:

“You look like Marilyn Monroe and it makes me wanna run ... for president”

“Like pac-man, she swallows my ghosts”
jordan
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Part 1: Cheesy? Maybe. But in clever ways. The pronouns get a little confusing in terms of who and how many people are being referred to, but it almost made me want to see for myself what falling in love is like.
Part 2: Better. Both idealistic and truthful.
Part 3: Ultimate self-care? Mixture of cliches and poetic gems.
Some of the “poems” I wish were extended into longer pieces, but brevity seemed to be a goal here, so I’m not too irked by it.
Kate
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a collection of poetry / brief thoughts. I most enjoyed the first part on the theme of love.
Cathryn
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of these poems were wonderfully witty and incisive and personal but quite a few just didn't connect with me.
Cookielover
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Some good ones; most of them I didn’t care for and couldn’t relate to.
KayCee K
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Take Me With You by Andrea Gibson is a wonderfully written poetry. It is also a collection of LGBTQ. This is this first for me, I've never read LGBTQ inspired poetry book before. With lines like" You keep worrying you're taking up too much space I wish you'd let yourself be the Milkyway" and "I told myself I was built like a song..." are powerful lines woven into these pages. There's a balance of upbeat poems to deeper more meaningful words. This book shows today's world in these lines of poems ...more
Cassandra Fay
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just not for me.
Joshua Moneda
Aug 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Truth be told, the title and the author's background is really interesting -- but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. There are poems that are just too cliche/mainstream and I just can't seem to find the author's voice when she wrote those, it's almost as if she's just reiterating them. When it comes to choice of words, most of the poems appear weak and lacking. Im not also a fan of how they used ALL CAPS throughout the book because by doing so, it made the poems monotonous.

On the bright
Noura
I would like to begin this by saying that Andrea Gibson is nothing like Rupi Kaur so to compare the two in the synopsis is quite simply doing injustice to the former.

Andrea Gibson's word has always been something I carried with me. Tucked in my wallet. Between the pages of a notebook. As drafts on my phone. Their words are always there. Always comforting.

So to give this such a low rating was just sad. So much cringe worthy moments and eye rolls while reading this that at it times it was hard to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Future
  • Yesterday I Was the Moon
  • Clatter
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Helium
  • Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across
  • If They Come for Us
  • Sea of Strangers
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Depression & Other Magic Tricks
  • Date & Time
  • It Begins with the Body
Andrea Gibson is an award-winning poet and activist who lives in Boulder, Colorado. Their latest book THE LORD OF THE BUTTERFLIES will be published by Button in November 2018.

Their poetry focuses on gender norms, politics, social reform and the struggles LGBTQ people face in today's society. In addition to using poetry to express what they feel and provide social and political commentary on real
“Our insanity isn't that we see people who aren't there. It's that we ignore the ones who are.” 12 likes
“Some people will never understand the kind of superpower it takes for some people to just walk outside.” 9 likes