Start by marking “After the Rain (Descendants #2)” as Want to Read:
After the Rain (Descendants #2)

After the Rain

(Descendants #2)

Forced to leave the girls' school where she has spent the past six years as an orphan, Christelle Clement tries to find work in Paris. When her mother’s reputation as a high-paid courtesan precedes her, Christelle decides to go to England in search of the father she has never met.

A humble gentleman, Dr. Seamus Craig is in search of a wife who can provide him with the fam
Published May 28th 2017 by Elizabeth Johns

To ask other readers questions about After the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Rain

Start your review of After the Rain (Descendants #2)
Annette
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency
This one had some interesting dynamics. It played with social classes and roll reversals. I love that the hero wasn't smarmy. He was just a genuinely nice guy. And I do love nice guys.

Clean and sweet.
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
Elizabeth Johns is one of my favorite romance authors and her sweet historical romances are always charming and enjoyable reads. I love how she focus on the development of her characters through tragedy and trial and we have the privilege of going along on their journey.

After the rain is the second book in the Descendants series and the first two books have focused on the off springs of Lord and Lady Craig. As their children grow up they have to navigate the minefield of finding love in English
Anna
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Christelle Clement knew her stay at the Harriet School for girls was temporary at best, but the timing of being turned out couldn't have been worse. She had no family since the loss of her mother six years ago, no place to go, and not a cent to her name.

The headmistress gave Christelle a trunk of her mother's things that she had saved for her. Thinking there could be something that might give her direction, Christelle searched the trunk, emotions barely at bay as she moved through her mother's
Patti
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked “After the Rain”! For those of us who read Regency England stories and have many - some of us can claim a ridiculous amount in our reading history; it’s refreshing to find a new twist. And that is exactly what Elizabeth Johns has done with this plot. Grabbed my attention right away and never let go!

Sixteen-year-old Christelle is forced to leave the girl’s school in Paris she has called home for the past six years. Her mother is dead and the school no longer has funds to sponsor he
Pat
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Johns has written another wonderful story again! How does a young lady move forward after her mother passes away and she discovers who her real father is? Traveling from Paris to London is a frightening thing for anyone to do when they have to support, but Christelle Clement makes that leap. In what seems to be her darkest hour for Christelle, an unexpected encounter on a bridge with Dr. Seamus Craig is a godsend to her, and it leads to interesting things. Will Christelle find her fath ...more
Jeanie's Kindle
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When your mother has left you penniless and in disgrace in a school that has kept you as a charity case for years treating you as a servant. You have learned to earn your keep. To do so in Paris with no references, no money and no family is impossible.
Deciding to head to England to locate her father was the only possible recourse. Maybe she could get a job in London. Maybe England would not know of her mother's sins. Alas, that was not the case and she was to have to forge her life on her own.
F
I. M. S
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Laverdure
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
After the Rain, is a beautiful story, written by Elizabeth Johns. I really enjoyed it, but preferred her first story, Out of the Darkness, of the Descendants series! This is the clean and sweet story of two beautiful characters named Christelle Clements and Dr. Seamus Craig. The heroine has spent six years in an orphanage, now she must leave and start on her own. Enters Seamus in her life, in need of a wife. Their story has a slow pace and well written, but I felt it needed more romance, but tha ...more
Alaska Hults
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting. Engaging Main Characters.

The world of the Descendants series is still best appreciated if you read the books of the generation that came before these (although these focus do far on the adopted children of Lord Craig, so the age difference between the previous main characters and these are not a full generation).

Descendants 2 is more of a full novel than Descendants 1, although it is still quick read. Both protagonists are lovely and interesting people. Looking forward to Maili and
Dottie
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was really good and I really enjoyed the continuation of these characters and would have given it five stars but for some reason the ages and dates of the main characters didn't coincide with the characters of the Melting the Ice novel, maybe it was just me but it didn't seem to work out numbers-wise/ages/amount of time passing and that was a distraction to the story. I finally had to stop dwelling on it and just read it, a great story, love Elizabeth Johns!
Zainab
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second book in this series and it centred around characters that weren't introduced in book one. It makes this book hardly enjoyable. I cannot follow the characters backstory half the time.
Vonda Dastrup
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in this series so far!

Thoroughly enjoyable installment in a series I have very much enjoyed. I love the continuation into this, the second generation of what feels like extended family members! I love these characters!
Rachel Di
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I really enjoyed this book, and it has been fun reading the descendants trilogy. As always, this book has the romance, suspense, mystery and drama all wrapped together. Above all, it was a clean read!
The Doctor's Companion
I remember reading this, and I remember being slightly underwhelmed. It was nice to read mostly because it revisited characters that I already loved.
Katherine Evans
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed a different take, with a doctor as the hero. I usually don't like such young heroines but she was wise beyond her years.
Mary
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun branch off of her Elements series. Can't wait for the next one.
Alisa
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Splendid

One of my favorites! Fulfilling on its own but even more fun if you have read the other books ahead of it. A nice sense of fun and adventure, revenge and love.
rob
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

Another, lovely book by Elizabeth John. I have enjoyed this series and fell in love with this big interesting family.
Patricia
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots going on in this book. Good story. On to book 2
Megan Besing
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I really enjoyed the personalities of both the hero and heroine. And their growth was steady and charming. An enjoyable read for sure
Ashley Lavering
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

I loved the doctor. It was a good story and I was glad there was a happily ever after at the end. Clean romance
Musawwir Spiegel
Aug 07, 2017
Lloyd L Post
Jul 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A Clever Alliance (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love, #1)
  • Pursued by the Rake (Season of Scandal Book 1)
  • The Earl's Daughter  (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love #4)
  • The Beauty (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School #3)
  • A Noble Pursuit (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love #3)
  • Abandoned to the Prodigal (Season of Scandal Book 2)
  • The Reluctant Guardian  (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love #2)
  • A Forgiving Heart (Seasons of Change #2)
  • The Heiress (Miss Bell's Finishing School Book 2)
  • The Secret Heart (Unmarriageable, #6)
  • The Road Through Rushbury (Seasons of Change, #1)
  • The Weary Heart (Unmarriageable, #5)
  • The Last Eligible Bachelor  (Seasons of Change Book, #3)
  • A Fall from Grace
  • The Jewels of Halstead Manor (Ladies of Devon #1)
  • Miss King's Rescue (Lonely Hearts #2)
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • A Regrettable Proposal
Like many writers, Elizabeth Johns was first an avid reader, though she was a reluctant convert. It was Jane Austen's clever wit and unique turn of phrase that hooked Johns when she was "forced" to read Pride and Prejudice for a school assignment. She began writing when she ran out of her favorite author’s books and decided to try her hand at crafting a Regency romance novel. Her journey into pub ...more

Descendants (4 books)
  • Out of the Darkness (Descendants #1)
  • Ray of Light: Traditional Regency Romance (Descendants, #3)
  • Moon and Stars (Descendants #4)

News & Interviews