Start by marking “What Would Audrey Do?: Timeless Lessons for Living with Grace and Style” as Want to Read:
What Would Audrey Do?: Timeless Lessons for Living with Grace and Style

What Would Audrey Do?: Timeless Lessons for Living with Grace and Style

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,291 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Audrey Style comes a charming guide to Audrey Hepburn?inspired living for the modern woman

Audrey Hepburn epitomized grace and style, not only in her appearance but in her very essence. Whether in fashion, relationships, her work on the screen, or for UNICEF and her home life, there is no one more worthy of imitation.

How did s
Published April 7th 2009 by Avery (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Would Audrey Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would Audrey Do?

Full disclosure: I am a HUGE Audrey Hepburn-phile. I love her movies, her beauty, her goodwill, her kindness, her peaceful spirit and, most of all, her style. I often joke that my fashion sense is "Audrey Hepburn re-imagined as a hot mess." I pretty much love everything she did and anything about her. That said, I am not entirely sure how I feel about this book. The biographical portions were fantastic, and I learned things I hadn't learned reading other biographies of her. But, I felt like the ...more
Huma Rashid
Nov 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though well written enough in terms of form and structure (I won't say anything about the annoying Royal "we" the author chooses to employ), what this book suffers from is an identity crisis.

Is it a biography of the life and times of the great Audrey Hepburn? Or is it a manual for women to become the Ideal Woman, as Audrey was?

I could forgive the endlessly cloying, sycophantic, stars-in-her-eyes tone of this book were it not for the way the author fails to address this identity crisis. First, s
Stephanie Folger
I initially gave this book 5 stars before I started reading it b/c I thought it HAD to be good being about Audrey and all. Well...
I am a diehard Audrey Hepburn fan, and I know that no one is perfect, but the author begs to differ. She paints Hepburn as an angel when really some of the examples cited actually make Audrey sound like a bit of a diva (to my dismay). And her attempts at including pop culture references are annoying--enough mentioning George Clooney for no reason at all! It's a cute b
Oct 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alot of speculation (how many times did I read "we think Audrey would have..") as to where AH would shop, and vacation if she were alive. Sounded like Keogh was drumming up business for rich friends to me. (the at-home checklist) Whatever... The author has a serious, almost disturbing-worship-like, crush on Audrey. In the back of the book she listed some "Very Audrey" people. Then I really had to wonder if the author new who she was writing about, not sure she knows anything about Audrey. This i ...more
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked reading about Audrey, although I agree with others that this book had a lot going on and much of the material was really not about Audrey.
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I can tell you she wouldn't have bought this book!

Oh man, I really wanted to like this book, if just to not feel so shallow for having purchased it in the first place. I gave it two stars because I did learn some things about Audrey Hepburn that I didn't know before. Then again, I wish I had simply read a more serious biography of her life to spare me the candy-coated, repetitive, badly-written "chick-lit" style advice book.

Not only does she repeat the same information and quotes over and over
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"What Would Audrey Do?" isn't as much fun as it should have been. The book has its moments, including biographical details I hadn't known. But the author insists upon using the royal We to talk about herself, and many of her attempts to discern what Audrey would have thought of internet dating or the iPhone are just silly. She also uses the same quotes and anecdotes repeatedly. And in the end, what Audrey would do is conduct herself with class-not something I am convinced can be learned from rea ...more
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of Audrey Hepburn
Shelves: biography
Loving all things Audrey (I walked down the aisle to "Moon River") I had to get this book. It's a fabulous take on a biography of AH, with tips and insights on how she might live in our oh so modern world today.
Audrey is timeless. And I have her to thank for my black ballet flats, carefully lined and mascara'd eyes, and a love of giving back to the world.
This is a fun book for any Audrey-phile.
Eva Blanda
Dec 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
This is a terrible book. It talks about how to be more like Audrey yet it's written in the most un-Audrey like manner, more like a sensationalist magazine using scandalous headlines to sell more copies. It rehashes the same stories and anecdotes over and over to prove a point and ultimately it becomes tiresome.
A good book to read when you don't want to concentrate too hard, because it is extremely repetitive. Especially if you've already read an Audrey boigraphy or two, you might just want to just skim to the lists. The book was a cute idea and would have made a great longer magazine article, but just not enough there for a book.
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
First of all who does not absolutely love Audrey Hepburn! This book was written about her life, her grace and style. I can see myself re-reding this book in the near future.
Olivia Elison
I thought this would be a biography on Audrey, but it was just a bunch of tips on how to be like her. (Which is something all women, especially in today's society, need).
Aug 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Love Audrey. However, couldn't finish the book. Very disappointing. I really wanted to like it but alas it's unfortunate that I bought it.
I love Audrey Hepburn and thought I would give this book a go. I did find the history of AH really interesting but I found the other parts rather superfluous and pretentious. I lot of the quotes and stories became really repetitive that it just became a little boring.

I thought that the author speculated about what AH would think of things like online shopping and smart phones and I found this to be really unnecessary.

Overall this was an alright read but nothing to write home about. I did find a
Bookish Jen
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few months ago, I wrote a review of Jordan Christy’s book, How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World. I found Ms. Christy’s tome to be shallow, bitchy, materialistic and judgmental, traits that the late Audrey Hepburn rarely showed. While reading Christy’s blathering, I thought to myself, “You don’t know Audrey Hepburn at all, toots.” I’ve been a huge fan of the late Audrey Hepburn for over twenty years. Not only do I love her movies, I also greatly admire her work with UNICEF. And on a shallow no ...more
Cathie Maud
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may be biased as she is my favourite actress, but WWAD is worlds above WWJD (What Would Jackie Do). For starters, Audrey's beginnings are more relatable (to me), less 'rich girl's daddy lost riches and grows to be graceful lady who needs/seeks financial security' and more 'survived WWII and parental abandonment with grace, and without becoming bitter/hatred, and tries to give back to the world'.

I will expound on this later. I'm off to catch a flight, so fleshing this out needs to wait.
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
I picked this book up at my local library after having read the title. I'm not the biggest Audrey fan, but I do love her movies and her style. This book was well written, and a lot of facts were included that I didn't know. There was also tons of facts, and I liked how they included a segment on how Audrey would be like today. Great read for any Audrey fan!
A truly sweet play-by-play biography about a wonderfully sweet woman. For that, I like this book. It is a bit repetitive with its quotes and anecdotes, and has the tone of a Cosmo magazine (not saying this is a good or bad thing) but it is a sweet book.
Danielle Di Silvestro
Fun book to read for any Audrey fan. Or just a fan of any woman who was classy. It is an interesting read. I pick it up whenever I feel down about being such a unique woman in a crazy world.
Cassie Ferguson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully written biography/ etiquette book about one of the classiest actresses to ever live. I learned a lot and plan to use it in everyday life.
The Sleepy Creator
Timeless advice.
Farah Cook
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few times and it's elegant, gracious and ohhhhh soooo Audrey.....!!! Mind you, if you're a feminist this book is not for you. It's for the girly girls who want to pick up a few tip on how to behave elegantly - just like Audrey. I do love this book as I lobe Audrey Hepburn.
This was such a cute book! I loved hearing about Audrey's life and how it relates to young women today.
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I would rate this a final 3.5 stars out of five.

This book was chock-full of interesting information. As a new Audrey fan, I didn't know much of the stuff and found it well researched and documented.

I enjoyed the design of it immensely: so easy to read, draws attention to the right things, all very Audrey. The pink theme was great and I adored the continuity. It was nice and clean cut. The art was also adorable.

The clothing tips were all very good and cute and Audrey. Just thought I'd add that

I l
This book is a basically a lifestyle and looks guide, with Audrey Hepburn as inspiration (and really, who better?). There are also several stories from Audrey’s life (although, as is stated in the introduction, this is not a biography). Split into sections such as clothes, home, romance, etc., the book tells us what Audrey would do (hmm…) and gives advice on how readers can be more like Audrey. At this point, it seems fair to point out that I am a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, both as an actress, a ...more
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many of the lessons were helpful and informative, but the book itself dragged on in many parts
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would Audrey do? Always a good question to ask oneself when faced with difficult choices, especially when faced with the choice of what you should wear. (I know the fad was WWJD for a long while but WWAD makes it a bit more chic) That being said, we cannot always do what Audrey would do. First off, there is no humanly way possible for my waist to be 20 inches. I tried for two days and couldn't do it. I did figure out that when I am plagued with hunger I resemble a disney villain which is ab ...more
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I asked for this book as a gift because Audrey Hepburn is my idol and this book reveals so much about her life and how she dealt with different situations. This book has different stories that show her personality and how wonderful she really was. It also contains fun facts and details about her that make you admire her even more. I hope to be like Audrey one day, and I know a lot of people do because she is so graceful and lovely. This book shares how Audrey is still with us because she has lef ...more
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What Would Audrey Do? by Pamela Clarke Keogh is more of a book of guidelines on how to be the amazing Audrey Hepburn. Each page gives some secret and some not so secret stories of Audreys life and how she went from invisible to untouchable. Every man wanted her and every women wanted to be her. She had poise, grace, and elegance. Audrey was the ideal model for the phrase "Think like a man, act like a lady."

Keogh keeps her audience turning the page by not just telling Audrey's story, but telling
Rachel Rabeneck
What Would Audrey Do? is a guide to all things Audrey Hepburn. Ms. Keogh discusses how Audrey thought of life, and while the book makes suggestions to how we might live more like Audrey, it doesn't tell us we have to be like her. Audrey Hepburn in one sentence: Be kind, work hard, and look fabulous doing it.

The only aspects of the book that bother me are how the information is often repeated. For example, Audrey's growing up in the Nazi controlled Holland is repeated over and over. While it is
  • How to Be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life
  • Audrey Hepburn: The Paramount Years
  • Audrey: Her Real Story
  • Audrey Hepburn: Fair Lady of the Screen
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace
  • The Breakfast at Tiffany's Companion

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99