Start by marking “Shot on Gold (Play by Play, #14)” as Want to Read:
Shot on Gold (Play by Play, #14)

Shot on Gold

(Play-by-Play #14)

In the new Play-by-Play novel by the New York Times bestselling author of The Final Score, opposites attract when a figure skater and hockey player lace up their skates--and go for the gold...

Will "Mad Dog" Madigan is making his second trip to the Winter Games, and he couldn't be happier. Hockey is his life and playing for the U.S. team is a privilege. Then he meets U.S. f
Published February 13th 2018 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Shot on Gold, please sign up.
Cordykitten
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4 Stars!
*ARC provided by Berkley*

-“When you find that person you want to be with, you’ll move mountains to make it work.”

photo IMG_4894_zpsdwslkzih.jpg

Amber Sloane is a 24 yr. old U.S. figure skater from Long Island. She’s in Vancouver for the international games and is competing for her third and final time. This is her last chance, and her time to shine. She’s worked hard, and is ready to win the gold. She feels this is going to be her year.

Amber is an introvert, and has never made time for friends. Her whole life has be
Auntee
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of this series
This used to be my favorite contemporary/erotic romance series. But after 14 books, the series has sort of lost its luster for me. Compared to the first five or so of this series, the last few have paled in comparison. While this was a perfectly fine romance between two athletes (one a figure skater, one a hockey player) going for the gold in the Olympics, it just didn't have that zing .

The hero, hockey star Will, seemed like a great guy. Friendly, charming, handsome, sexy, and with no real bagg
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
"Burton doesn't cut any corners here and delivers a fabulous read for her readers."

Read this review in its entirety at Fresh Fiction
Tpagirl
Shot on Gold by Jaci Burton was the fourteenth book in the Play-by-Play series.

USA Olympians Will “Mad Dog” Madigan (hockey) and Amber Sloan (figure skating) met in Vancouver as they were seeking the coveted Gold medal in their sport. They were both competitive, dedicated, hard working, committed and understood each other’s drive. I enjoyed reading this story as we are currently experiencing a Winter Olympics in real life.

Not only did Burton highlight the meeting and relationship development bet
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Shot on Gold is the 14th book in the Play by Play series and it has everything I like in a sports romance. First, is the winter Olympics and it highlights both figure skating and men’s ice hockey. Second, is a hot romance between two athletes who weren’t looking for love but ended up finding their one love. Will ‘Mad Dog’ Madigan is returning for a second time to win gold and tries to balance his focus on his sport and having fun. Amber Sloane is also returning for the third and last time to hav
1-Click Addict Support Group
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things are heating up on the ice!

I couldn’t wait to start the latest read in his hockey-centered series. This time out was a unique outing as hockey elite met ice skating royalty in a romance set within the Vancouver Olympic Games.

Will played professional hockey and Amber’s whole life had been dedicated to skating. Each knew the dedication and work that went into performing at that level but the games were an opportunity to work and play like no other. Will was happy to be joining the internatio
Lover of Romance
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Shot On Gold is a story I have been looking forward to SO much, especially when it was published around the time of the Winter Olympics so it was simply perfect. I have adored every book I have read so far in this series, Jaci Burton has such a lovely writing voice and it sho
Beth
Shot on Gold is a completely fun read and just in time for everyone getting in the mood for Winter Olympics 2018.

Will is a hockey player on his second time around to the Winter Games. He is playing for the US team and enjoying the social life the Olympic games’ village provide. He met Amber Sloane last time he went but she was shy, reserved and totally focused on her figure skating.

Amber has sacrificed her entire life for parents skating ambitions. She is focused and determined to make them prou
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2sj7vJM

They eat. They skate. They fuck.

What's not to love? lol

The Gist: The Olympic Winter Games. A sheltered figure skater deciding to have a little fun for a change and setting her sights not only on winning a gold medal but snagging some sheet time with one of the hockey gods who's always the life of the party. Mmhm

Oh yes. These two were adorable! An extrovert and an introvert. The life of the party and the wall flower. Vastl
Bambi Unbridled
description

In the latest Play-by-Play novel, Jaci Burton has moved slightly away from the realm of professional athletes and provided us a story involving Olympians. I believe this is the first story I have read involving Olympic athletes, so it was a nice change of pace. While I don't typically watch the Winter Olympics, this story coming out during the start of the games has me curious enough to take a gander.

Our heroine is Amber Sloane, a twenty-four year old ice princess figure skater at the end of her
Wit & Wonder Books
**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

Exhilarating, unique take on a sports romance. Jaci Burton has delivered another enticing novel in her Play by Play series with Shot on Gold, a romance rotating around the Winter Olympics. Jaci did her due diligence in her research on not just her knowledge regarding one sport but multiple sports. As a fan of ice skating, I really enjoyed Will and Amber’s romance.

Two veterans return to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver to seek out Go
Under the Covers Book Blog
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

As longtime fans of this series, when a new book comes out we always get excited.  This release in particular was exciting as it comes during the Winter Olympics and feels like just the right kind of book for the season.  And as always, Jaci Burton doesn't disappoint.  SHOT ON GOLD is the perfect winter sports romance.

Will is part of the US Hocke
Jess
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-rental, dnf
Quitting at around 35% - Just not feeling this dialogue. It reads very forced and awkward between the hero and heroine. I could get past that if the characters were interesting, but nothing is working for me. Moving on.
alexis
Shot on Gold is possibly the blandest book I've read in awhile.

I haven't been keeping up with Jaci Burton's Play by Play series. Since it's very much a white Sports Romance series without too much innovation, I wasn't going to bother. Of course, with the Winter Olympics going on I was tempted to pick her books up again so I did.

Now I'm left with ALL the regrets.

There were so many problems with this book, the biggest one being the lack of heart and depth. Will and Amber felt like recycled char
Michal Inbar
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
dnf 30%

I'm a big fan of JB works.
This one, not so much.

The heroine put the B in Boring.
Phewww what a prude o_O
Personally, I don't like virgin heroines. There's a lot of work to be done to lure them out of their shells. I don't have the patience for this.

The story took place only in the olympic village so nothing really happened besides talking about all kind of sports.

not my coppa.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-series
As much as I love this series, I'm not sad it is over as it seems like it has run its course. This installment is just ok. I like the Olympic setting, and the competitions but they were more exciting than the romance between Amber and Will. I just didn't feel it between the two of them. I only finished it because I wanted to know if they won the gold. 2 1/2 disappointing stars, (I am looking forward to her new series though)
Julie
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Spending your days and nights devoted to the sport that has dominated your life is nothing new for Amber Sloane. As a competitive figure skater, Amber was never exposed to summer camps, sleepovers, or any of the other rites of passage in a child’s life. Amber spent her time practicing and training for one goal….the Olympics.

Now the 24 yr old veteran in the figure skating world is vying for her third and final time at the Olympics. One last chance for the gold. A chance to show the world that Am
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
***ARC Provided by the Author/Publisher via NetGalley***

The Olympics are happening in real life, and the international games are happening in this book. I love the connection to real life and the feeling of "being there". In fact, I am writing this review while waiting for the ice skating team finals to start...so, it really is like I am there with Amber.

Will and Amber. A life-of-the-party hockey player and a serious, studious, here only for the competition ice skater.

Really, they shouldn't work
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Shot on Gold was a steamy, heartwarming, and charming romance novel. I read this book in one sitting because I was just so addicted! This is a book you will start and never want to stop!

One thing I really enjoyed about this novel was the setting. This book took place during the Winter Olypmics, which I was OBSESSED with. I love the Olympics, so I was more than happy to read a book that focused on the Olympics. Sports novels always have an exciting element to them, but the Olympics made the sport
MountainKat
This would have been perfect for me had there been more at the end. It was just too simple and felt incomplete. Maybe it just needed an epilogue. Up until the stupid girl moment at the end, it was great though. You can tell the author is a sports fan and understands how things work - it can be terribly annoying if an author tackles something they don't understand or don't bother to learn. I'm not saying it was perfect from an athlete's perspective, but it worked for this sports fan!

All of the ch
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shot On Gold by Jaci Burton
(Play-By-Blay #14)
Publisher: Berkley Books
Release Date: February 13, 2018
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with an early copy of Shot On Gold for an honest review.

Shot On Gold is hot, hot, hot!!! The chemistry between Amber and Will is on fire. This can be read as a standalone or as a part of the series. Amber a figure skater and Will a hockey player realize they have a lot in common. They both have a drive and passion to win, and to
Karen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am watching the Olympics and reading this book. How cool is that? I love how the author seems knowledgeable on each sport and the competition strategy.

The story is pretty simple and the characters are lovely. There was a little too much descriptive sex for my tastes. And that is my only criticism.
Darcy
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun one to read. I really liked the couple, was rooting for them, but what really worked for me was how the group of athletes genuinely rooted for each other in their sports. I loved that it didn't matter that they were from different countries, that often they were competing against each other in the same event, they wanted their friend to do their best and were there to cheer them on. I think that giving spirit helped Amber and Will in their relationship. They started out as fr ...more
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
"This is how it works."

Confession, Shot on Gold was my introduction to Jaci Burton. Though it is book #14 in the Play by Play series, I read it as a standalone. Yes, I've been hearing the buzz about this author in the book world, and her work has been on my TBR. I might have even purchased a book or two, but I just never got around to reading one until now. Dumb, huh? Well, you can consider me schooled. I get it now. Consider me properly chastised and on the way to performing my future duties
Jill M
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hot-athletes
I had given up on this series for awhile skipping some in between but this was really enjoyable. With all the Winter Olympics hype this grabbed my attention. It was a cute and sexy read. You can’t go wrong with a super sexy hockey player and a beautiful figure skater.
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fact that the Winter Olympics are happening right now makes Jaci Burton’s latest story in her Play-by-Play series, Shot on Gold, that much more poignant and relatable, and because I’m a huge fan of sports romances as well as Burton’s series, I couldn’t wait to dive into all that is Will "Mad Dog" Madigan and Amber Sloane’s story, and once again, Burton did a great job of interweaving that action of the characters’ professions with the steamy and sweet encounters that they experience once the ...more
Liza
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Play-by-Play series by Jaci Burton is one of my favorite series of books she has ever written. Seriously even 14 books in, I'm still in love with this series. I absolutely loved that Shot on Gold was set during the Winter Games.

I quickly found myself liking both Amber and Will as both individuals and as a couple. Yes Amber had led a pretty sheltered life as a figure skater thanks to her mom, but on her third and most likely final Winter Games, she is there to not only win gold, but have a gr
LeeAnne
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

This was just an okay read for me, I didn't get sucked into it like I have the previous books. Amber and Wills story is good, but I just didn't feel a connection between the two and it was almost awkward to read about them.

Amber Sloane is figure skater who has reached the age of retirement but wants to win one gold before hanging up her skates. Since she's focused every moment of her entire life on figure skating she's never had a chance to really live and definitely never had a chance
Kristin
Shelves: romance
What perfect timing for Shot on Gold to come out. This is a romance set during the winter Olympics between a hockey player and a figure skater. I loved getting read this book, and then watch the Olympic games. It was as if I was watching these characters perform live.

Amber is attending her last year at the Olympics. She's preformed in the previous two Olympics, but has yet to walk away with a gold medal. This year she intends to not only win the gold, but she also plans to let loose, too. She's
WycEd Reader
Check out our Shot on Gold post on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Mary Jo – ☆☆☆☆
Often, two characters meet and fall into insta-love. Not these two. They talk, they trade witty barbs, and think about what they are going to do. That's not to say these characters don't hop into bed, they do, but it’s the thought processes that get them there that made this story for me.

Will "Mad Dog" Madigan is at his second Olympic games, eager to bring home the gold for the US hockey team

• Set the Night on Fire (Cottonbloom, #6)
  • Snowbound at Christmas (Montana Men, #5.5)
  • Falling Sweetly (Starling Falls, #2)
  • Stud for Hire (Stripped Down #1)
  • Dream Catcher (Tulsa Thunderbirds, #6)
  • Going for the Goal (The Perfect Play #3)
  • Softer Than Steel (Love & Steel, #2)
  • Across the Line (In the Zone, #2)
  • Head Coach (Hellions Angels, #2)
  • Pipe Dreams (Brooklyn Bruisers, #3)
  • Flirting on Ice (Atlantic City Hustlers, #1)
  • Mine Under the Mistletoe
  • Game Changer (Bomb Squad #3)
  • She's Got a Way (Echo Lake, #3)
  • His to Protect
  • Carolina Dreaming (Dare Island, #5)
  • The Sinner Who Seduced Me (Regency Rogues, #3)
  • Loving a Lawman (Cattle Creek, #1)
Jaci Burton is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of over 70 books. She lives in Oklahoma and when she isn’t on deadline (which is often), she can usually be found wrestling with her uncooperative garden, wrangling her dogs, watching an unhealthy amount of television, or completely losing track of time reading a great book. She’s a total romantic and longs for the hap ...more

Play-by-Play (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1)
  • Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2)
  • Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)
  • Playing to Win (Play by Play, #4)
  • Thrown by a Curve (Play by Play, #5)
  • One Sweet Ride (Play by Play, #6)
  • Melting the Ice (Play by Play, #7)
  • Straddling the Line (Play by Play, #8)
  • Quarterback Draw (Play by Play, #9)
  • All Wound Up (Play by Play, #10)