Start by marking “INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love” as Want to Read:
INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love

INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love

The basic premise of Inspired is that the best tech companies create products in a manner very different from how most companies create products. The goal of the book is to share the techniques of the best companies. This book is aimed primarily at Product Managers working on technology-powered products. That includes the hundreds of "tech companies" like Google, Facebook, ...more
Published December 4th 2017 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about INSPIRED, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about INSPIRED

Adam Wiggins
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
"Inspired" is a well-written, thorough, and down-to-earth work covering all aspects of product management at software companies.

To paraphrase/summarize: the job of the product manager is to discover a product that is useful, feasible, and valuable. They do this through understanding users and potential users in detail and evaluating opportunities to solve problems for those users. Once an opportunity is identified, they create a prototype, validate the prototype with users, then work with engine
Ellen Chisa
I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't read this book until today. I's pretty a concise summary of all the other articles, books, and conversations that I've had in the field. You could probably save a lot of time by reading this book when you're first interested in PM, rather than after doing it for four years. (But re-read it then, too!)

I particularly liked that he discussed:

- Clear definition of role separation and responsibilities of marketing, PM, interaction design, development.
- The emphasis on
Adam Zabell
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
tl;dr - products need prototypes, are grounded in answering emotions, and can always be improved.

Product management starts with this book. If you want be one, start here, then go find something that talks about the products in your field of interest, or describes the process by which you get yourself hired, or the way you raise capital to fund your own product. But, start here to learn what it means to build a product quickly and successfully.

Not that you're guaranteed success. Especially when y
Chris Kang
Inspired is pretty high level and tends to focus more on the organizational challenges related to product development. I feel that there are some better resources out there (especially online blogs) if you as a product manager are looking for strong guidance at a more tactical level. Although, the SVPG website has some useful resources. I kept putting off reading this book, and after having experienced the growing pains as a PM and other major organizational transitions, most of the insights the ...more
Maria Lasprilla
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It wouldn't be so sexy or approved by the marketing department, but a more accurate name for this book would be "Product Management 101". Recommended.
Graham
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of very few books actually written all about Product Management, and it's a good one. I love how it starts with a bunch of things that people think are Product Management but which aren't. I also like the simple framework and definition of PM around valuable+useable+feasible, and how he builds up detail on achieving those qualities through the book. Got a bit dry as it came towards the end, but was a good length. Highly recommend for anyone in or thinking of moving into PM.
Disha
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book after a great review in Economic Times. The content is very disappointing to say the least. The author has missed on several key responsibilities and challenges of product management and has only penned a theoretical and ideal world description. The book does not talk in examples and almost sounds like a boring lecture. Not for beginners and surely not for veterans either. Disappoint s.
Goce Cvetanov
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in a while. It got me thinking about a lot of stuff that’s going on in our industry and it also helped me bridge the gap in my transition from a company oriented on providing services to clients to a company owning their own product and oriented towards keeping their customers happy and improving their product. Although I am not a Product Manager (which is the main intended audience), I would say that I am at the best point in my career to have read this book an ...more
Philip Joubert
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm frustrated with myself that I didn't read this many moons ago. This is the book for you if you are:
- An aspiring product manager
- Work with product managers (e.g. you're a software engineer or designer)
- You're building out a product team
- You are interested in how modern tech teams structure themselves
Jenn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information in the book was good and useful to learn how things work or should work on a product team, but the delivery was a little slow and dry.

Raphael Albino
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author shared a lot of good examples and practices in product management. If you don't have experience with the subject, the book will be useful. The content doesn't have a logical structure, and sometimes, you could feel lost.

The main highlights I would share at this review are:

1. Outcomes are better than outputs. In a transition of project mindset for a product one, the orgazination should stop seeking deadlines and roadmap deliverables beside that it should look for business models innova
Veronica Moss
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-business
A friend recommended this book to me, and I'm glad she did - it was an informative read about product management at a software company. As someone with a background in psychology, sociology and business, I walked away learning many new things about innovation and product development process. Recommended if you are working in tech, particularly if you are a business person @ a tech company.
Տիգրան Ղաբուզյան
A bible for product managers.
Dmitry Martsinkevich
When i started the book it was a bit irritating to read that just every person in a product team is like a totally vital part. But it turned that Inspired is more like a Bible for product managers. It is full of good practices and clear methodologies. Not many i could use in our very small team but still picked some to be used as common practices. You can open almost any page and find a new thing to implement in your team. Most of the simple ideas are written in short without long argumentation ...more
Arunthep Sangvareethip
Not just a product book, this is an ultimate book for building great culture that happen to deliver the best possible product

I fell in love with the first version. This version is going above and beyond what I had in mind when buying. I just told my team of Product Manager Team that if there is a book for 2018 that worth every second to read, this is the one!
Markiyan
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on Product Management I've ever read. Not only you get a depth and years of experience and wisdom in your hand, but it's also so incredibly well structured! Definitely will come back to this book again and again. Must read for a PM.
Jeremy Zhang
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bible.
Amr Basha
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read book for every designer out there, and is considered as the holy book for product management as well.
Kresimir Mudrovcic
Interesting, insightful, easy to read and digest, useful tips for anyone who is into Product Management or startups.
Peter Gfader
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't know but the content seems to be dated.

Examples:

>> Once you've validated a product and delivered the specifications to engineering, you must make a fundamental mindset shift from product discovery to execution.
>> There should be no further changes to the product specifications after this.

1. This clear distinction between discovery and delivery seems very old thinking to me.
2. When do we write the specification?
3. No further changes to the product spec after this?
4. Lots of
Kair Käsper
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: starting-up
Doesn’t matter if you’re a billion dollar success story or a future unicorn learning to walk, this book should be on the top of your reading list. Why?

- It’s densely packed with good to great advice on how to build a solid product organization, spiced up by examples from well-known companies.
- It describes in detail the pitfalls even the most progressive teams fall into. Many of these I have had the privilege of exploring or witnessing myself and I have to say, the experience was not worth much.
Vasya
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in a while. Everything you have to know about a Product manager role based on lessons from top tech companies of getting a product to the market.

I read the book from a marketing perspective and my takeaway is “Solve real customer problems in a way that met the needs of the business”. The most important is the first part of the task to determine “real customer problems” instead of listening to yourself or looking for the answer inside your team.

The book contain
Alex Watson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first edition and read it often during the early phases of my product career. I’m further along in my work now, and so is the field of product management in the UK, and so I felt like I got less from the second edition - there are over sixty chapters and so some end up being short and fairly superficial - the ones on ethics, agile at scale in particular - and it seems the whole idea of encompassing all of product management in one book is too big of an ask. It desperately needs new e ...more
Maanas S Bukkuri
I "read" this via Audible during my commutes.

I have read this book in the past and continue to read this during my product management tenure. I find that it is always provides a different set of outcomes and action items. This time around, it provided a strong insight on what type of product manager to hire, and how to structure product teams for success.

I will likely return to this book towards the end of the year to review what I have been able to implement.

I strongly recommend that this becom
Moshe Mikanovsky
THE book for product managers. Great to read it again after about 8 years and after experiencing first hand many of the good and bad in product management practices. Need to put my hands on the 2nd edition to check what has been updated, but my guess is that other than examples and maybe emphasis on SaaS, not much really
Joel Pacheco
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive

Thorough literature of customer-centric product development using agile practices with top-notch real-life cases from Apple, Google, Amazon, and such.

Recommended for leadership executives who want a comprehensive overview of the roles in a product development team and product managers, designers, and engineers working for tech companies.

Thanks, Marty!
Andrew Balyk
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Product Management is critical to organizations in the digital world. It is important to understand the approaches, steps, and techniques related to product development. This book is well written, structured and contain direct and concrete advice on how to get better at what we do.

A must-read for everyone interested in creating tech products.
Angelo
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to get a good overview of product management for professional purposes and I definitely got that. At times, it was a bit lacking in substance but this is a good book to reference back to and I anticipate re-reading parts of it for use in my professional career.
Arua Caselli
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: produto
Great for all levels of knowledge. Recommend having a printed copy of you work with Digital Products or is a CEO of a startup.
Dewayne
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a complete educational and informative breakdown of the business leading practice of product management. Author Marty Cagan provides you with the basic terms, benefits, and myths related the topic along with practical ways any organization can adopt the discipline. Added bonus is a behind the scenes profile for several industry leading organizations who turned this business practice into tangible results. The structure of this book is clear and concise with easy to read chapters tha ...more
do you have a nespresso machine? 1 2 May 27, 2019 05:14AM
Goodreads Librari...: Pages info for Inspired by Marty Cagan 4 12 Apr 06, 2019 05:29AM

• The Art of Product Management: Lessons from a Silicon Valley Innovator
  • The Product Manager's Desk Reference
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • Intercom on Product Management
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Badass: Making Users Awesome
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • The Product Manager's Handbook : The Complete Product Management Resource
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“We need teams of missionaries, not teams of mercenaries.” 5 likes
“It doesn’t matter how good your engineering team is if they are not given something worthwhile to build.” 5 likes