Start by marking “Inspired: How the Best Companies Create Technology-Powered Products and Services” as Want to Read:

The basic premise of Inspired is that the best tech companies create products in a manner very different from how most companies create products. The goal of the book is to share the techniques of the best companies. This book is aimed primarily at Product Managers working on technology-powered products. That includes the hundreds of "tech companies" like Google, Facebook, ...more
Hardcover
Published January 3rd 2018 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Inspired, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inspired

Adam Wiggins
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
"Inspired" is a well-written, thorough, and down-to-earth work covering all aspects of product management at software companies.

To paraphrase/summarize: the job of the product manager is to discover a product that is useful, feasible, and valuable. They do this through understanding users and potential users in detail and evaluating opportunities to solve problems for those users. Once an opportunity is identified, they create a prototype, validate the prototype with users, then work with engine
Ellen Chisa
I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't read this book until today. I's pretty a concise summary of all the other articles, books, and conversations that I've had in the field. You could probably save a lot of time by reading this book when you're first interested in PM, rather than after doing it for four years. (But re-read it then, too!)

I particularly liked that he discussed:

- Clear definition of role separation and responsibilities of marketing, PM, interaction design, development.
- The emphasis on
Adam Zabell
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
tl;dr - products need prototypes, are grounded in answering emotions, and can always be improved.

Product management starts with this book. If you want be one, start here, then go find something that talks about the products in your field of interest, or describes the process by which you get yourself hired, or the way you raise capital to fund your own product. But, start here to learn what it means to build a product quickly and successfully.

Not that you're guaranteed success. Especially when y
Chris Kang
Inspired is pretty high level and tends to focus more on the organizational challenges related to product development. I feel that there are some better resources out there (especially online blogs) if you as a product manager are looking for strong guidance at a more tactical level. Although, the SVPG website has some useful resources. I kept putting off reading this book, and after having experienced the growing pains as a PM and other major organizational transitions, most of the insights the ...more
Graham
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of very few books actually written all about Product Management, and it's a good one. I love how it starts with a bunch of things that people think are Product Management but which aren't. I also like the simple framework and definition of PM around valuable+useable+feasible, and how he builds up detail on achieving those qualities through the book. Got a bit dry as it came towards the end, but was a good length. Highly recommend for anyone in or thinking of moving into PM.
Disha
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book after a great review in Economic Times. The content is very disappointing to say the least. The author has missed on several key responsibilities and challenges of product management and has only penned a theoretical and ideal world description. The book does not talk in examples and almost sounds like a boring lecture. Not for beginners and surely not for veterans either. Disappoint s.
Arunthep Sangvareethip
Not just a product book, this is an ultimate book for building great culture that happen to deliver the best possible product

I fell in love with the first version. This version is going above and beyond what I had in mind when buying. I just told my team of Product Manager Team that if there is a book for 2018 that worth every second to read, this is the one!
Kresimir Mudrovcic
Interesting, insightful, easy to read and digest, useful tips for anyone who is into Product Management or startups.
Amr Salah
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read book for every designer out there, and is considered as the holy book for product management as well.
Jenn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information in the book was good and useful to learn how things work or should work on a product team, but the delivery was a little slow and dry.

Joel Pacheco
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive

Thorough literature of customer-centric product development using agile practices with top-notch real-life cases from Apple, Google, Amazon, and such.

Recommended for leadership executives who want a comprehensive overview of the roles in a product development team and product managers, designers, and engineers working for tech companies.

Thanks, Marty!
Angelo
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to get a good overview of product management for professional purposes and I definitely got that. At times, it was a bit lacking in substance but this is a good book to reference back to and I anticipate re-reading parts of it for use in my professional career.
Jorge Camargo
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a product manager (tech), or a stakeholder in the product management process, this is a must read book.
Siyu
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative book on sharing the author's product management experience. Each chapter is very short, so it is easy to be followed. The book is more like a desk handbook for reminding ourselves to be careful with the product management process. A good introduction for people who has no product management experience to have a sense of what is product management. And a good reminder for people who are already product managers.

However, the book, still, like other product management books, mor
Sten Tamkivi
Fantastic, compact summary of principles successful tech companies use breaking their work between small, focused product teams. We were striving towards this at Skype as we grew, I've tried to build early Teleport as a crisp product team; and now we are heading that way again with Topia, after merging 3 development teams and cultures over last 18 months.

Marty speaks from personal experience from Netscape to eBay, but also from his advice work running Silicon Valley Product Group. Must read for
Ruslan Khalilov
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That's a book I would recommend to people who want learn about good practices in Product Management.

There are no buzzwords, useless frameworks and other 100+ of concepts about PM work.
It's just real meat, real experience, insights about PM in top companies in Silicon Value.
During the time when almost everyone has an opinion about what does it mean "building a great product", Marty Cagan shows that there is a basic foundational knowledge that you need to learn and execute in order to build some
Jeff Mousty
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-work
"Inspired" is a very relevant book to anyone working with or leading product teams in the modern area. It's written from the product owners perspective in a very down to earth method explaining what should be expected of you and the break down of how much time those tasks should be taking you on a week in and out basis. It also explains how a po should be interacting with the other members of their team and what value they bring to the weekly activities you should be doing. I think it did an exc ...more
Petr Bela
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startup, audible-uk
One of the essential readings for product managers.

Quotes and ideas:

As a product manager, your goal is to mitigate 4 product risks:
1. Value risk. Will the customer buy and use this?
2. Usability risk. Will they figure out how to use it?
3. Feasibility risk. Can we build it?
4. Business viability risk. Will it work for our business?

The largest risk is the value risk. The solution is not good enough for people to switch from existing solutions. (Most products target an existing market by leveraging a
Ivonne
Un libro increíble y obligado para todos aquellos que trabajamos en tecnología, deseamos tener nuestro propio emprendimiento tecnológico o simplemente queremos acercarnos más al mundo de las plataformas, software y creación de productos digitales que cambien la vida de las personas. Me gusta mucho el enfoque en Producto y cómo da las pautas para ser un Product Manager verdadero, teniendo en cuenta todas las variables. Los ejemplos del libro son muy valiosos y su lenguaje no espanta, no enreda y ...more
Amelia
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has a lot of great advice for anyone curious about how to build something, not just for product managers. One of my favorite things about this book is the amount of concrete, actionable pieces of advice, as opposed to big lofty guiding principles that sound great but leave you wondering what to do next.
Rodrigo Iannuzzi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! It is definitely a guide for every product manager. If you are a PM or wants to be one, definitely read it! The book addresses the most important questions I had regarding product management. What I found very interesting is that it mixes very strong statements regarding one topic with a "there is no right answer" for other topics, what generates a lot of credibility to me.
Greg Brown
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book for work, and it really is the best book on how to create products out there. A ton of useful advice encapsulated in a good theoretical framework. Helped crystallize many of my existing intuitions while giving them the rigor and depth needed for actual practice. Recommended if you want to make good things!
John
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on how to be a good product manager. Has a lot of good points on how to figure out what to build, and how to build it with minimal cost & risk by making sure it's what people will want to use.
John
great book on product management. attention product managers: read this
Adam
Great book. Give great information on details of Product Management.
Marek
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Well written product management crash-course for beginners. Nothing more.
Dave Bolton
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good concise overview of software product development, that doesn't pander to any particular group in the chain. Going to order some copies for my team.
Pete Vejanurug
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've read the Lean Startup book by Eric Ries, this book goes into another dimension of the same concept around MVP's and validating your hypotheses early in order to mitigate the wasted efforts, time, and dollars spent on delivering a product that is not a great fit.

The author served as the VP of product for ebay and came from a software engineer at HP Enterprise. The credentials are strong.

To summarize the golden nuggets from this highly insightful book about Product Discovery I'll offer 3
Nicole Oke
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start with reviewing this one; there is just so much information packed into the book! Inspired is invaluable to anyone who works for a tech company. It captures the Product Management role in a company, as well as other essential roles (executives, general management, developers, designers, user experience analysts, software testers) on a team in creating valuable tech products.

In an early chapter, Marty Cagan discusses how Waterfall is one of the causes for failed pr
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A succinct and insightful examination of the role of Product Manager in product companies (such consumer-oriented web-based products). I read the book straight through, but it doesn't have to be read that way. It is structured into many short chapters under the three broad categories of people, process, and product, and each chapter is a relatively self-contained presentation on its topic (though perhaps assuming a general understanding of the role).

Much of the content felt well aligned with how
  • The Art of Product Management: Lessons from a Silicon Valley Innovator
  • The Product Manager's Desk Reference
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
“We need teams of missionaries, not teams of mercenaries.” 3 likes
“Product management is about insights and judgment, both of which require a sharp mind. Hard work is also necessary, but for this job, it is not sufficient.” 2 likes