Start by marking “The Rabbit Listened” as Want to Read:
The Rabbit Listened

The Rabbit Listened

A universal, deeply moving exploration of grief and empathy

With its spare, poignant text and irresistibly sweet illustrations, The Rabbit Listened is a tender meditation on loss.

When something terrible happens, Taylor doesn't know where to turn. All the animals are sure they have the answer. The chicken wants to talk it out, but Taylor doesn't feel like chatting. The bear
Published February 20th 2018 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rabbit Listened, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
SacBibliophile
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Betsy
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lest we forget, the only reason that children’s books were invented in the first place was to teach small human lessons. That is, in fact, the very backbone of the book business for youth today. Instruction. Guidance. Morally uplifting texts that will mold the little readers into fine, upstanding citizens. And because books like Little Goody Two-Shoes lie at the root of everything published in our day and age, we aren’t surprised by picture books that seek to instruct. These days, it's funny to ...more
MissBecka
This was so darn cute!
The illustrations are wonderful and there is just enough text on each page to explain (without over explaining) the story.
There are lots of adorable animals making funny little faces and I was all smiles and giggles.
Exactly the perfect length for most tiny human's bedtime story.
Not as dark or heavy as I expected and a wonderful way to help explain how all feelings are valid.

David Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #6 of 2018. This is rare this year in that we all agree on the rating! Whoa!

Lyra (11): 4 stars. You don't have to say anything to mean a lot. Just listen.

Hank (12): 4 stars! . . . [Hank here is not saying anything and just listening to the book.]

Harry (13): 4 stars. It shows tha
Calista
"Sometimes hugs say more than words" adorn the back cover of the book. This book is about grief.
Several animals tried to help the child and the child didn't need that at the time. As the title says, the rabbit listened, which is what the child needed most. The rabbit was willing to stay in that place of grief with the child.

I loved this book and it is powerful with a great message. It really is. It is talking about how to deal with emotions that are painful.

The nephew liked all the animals tha
Rebecca
A simply perfect story of loss, grief, and empathy. Children can understand the falling of a block castle as a literal event, or a metaphorical one. The reactions of the various animals are a perfect jumping-off point for discussing how to react (or not react!) to those going through a loss. Have tissues handy. Bonus: main character Taylor's gender is not specified, either with pronouns in the text or coding in the illustrations. This adds to the book's universality.
Mrs. Krajewski
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A review from my 6-year-old daughter: “I liked it! No one tells you how to feel. They don’t know how you feel inside unless you listen to them. My favorite character was the rabbit and Taylor because the rabbit listened to Taylor so much! I love Taylor because Taylor made such cool castles!”
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A child builds an amazing structure out of blocks only to have it destroyed by a group of birds. Many different animals come to offer comfort and they all give suggestions as to how to fix things. But it is only the rabbit who provides true comfort by listening to the child’s story and sitting quietly with the child as the child comes up with a solution.

An ideal story for counselors or teachers to share with students or for parents to read with their children at home.
Danielle
Nov 04, 2017 added it
Shelves: picture-books
An original take on coping with something bad happening—a nice blend of realism and not. Inspires readers to be like the rabbit, and to listen.
Julie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I found this book profoundly moving. The action of coming alongside and being still and quiet, offering reassurance by being present is beautifully illustrated.
La Coccinelle
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a deceptively simple book about allowing people to deal with loss in their own way. As the story shows, it's not up to the other animals to try to fix Taylor's problem. All the kid really needs is someone to listen to them, and they eventually deal with the loss on their own terms.

The "terrible" thing might not seem so terrible to adult readers, but it could be devastating for a child. As each of the animals tries to help Taylor, they're turned away. Taylor doesn't want to talk or get an
Christie Angleton
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love that there are no pronouns that refer to the child in this book - so inclusive!
Allie
An excellent addition to the ever-growing shelf of picture books dealing with emotional literacy. This book is about Taylor who makes a tower that gets knocked down, and the parade of animals that try and help. There are so many ways that people try to help and so many ways we deal with difficulty, and it is imperative that we give children the tools to deal with their emotions in a variety of ways. I think this book would be an excellent opportunity to talk with a child about the emotions of ev ...more
Pamela
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

Oh the joys of attempting to quell a toddler's meltdown; hence, nigh as improbable as finding a needle in a haystack or a working payphone. It seems the harder one tries to soothe a little tike like Taylor - after their proudly built block tower comes crashing down - the more sullied and obstinate they become.

But . . . The Rabbit Listened.

And the Rabbit knew, patience is more than just a vuirtue. It's a quiet friend that waits until you're ready to begin again.

Delightful artwork. Imaginative. S
J & J
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good reminder to be more like the rabbit :)
Michele Knott
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful book. I love how this one shows many different ways we can react to something and how sometimes we need to go through all of the emotions.
Lynn Plourde
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
We all need someone to listen to us--not fix things, not tell us what we SHOULD feel, but just listen. Simple and profound, wondrous and wonderful.
Pooja
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Teaches the readers to be sensitive towards others. Passing judgements and comments is easy when you don't know what the person in front of you is goint through. The world would be a better place if we just listen to each other more.
Gary Anderson
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, practical guide to empathy for when we want to support someone who is upset.
Jillian Heise
Tears. A new favorite picture book. I want to gift this to every teacher I know & hold it close to my heart & go read it to my kinders immediately. A sweet book, that will make them giggle, but also help them see the emotions they go through are valid and show ways to deal with those feelings and support friends is a must for libraries and classrooms. May all of us be that rabbit for the little humans (and big ones, too) in our lives, and may we all remember this when our patience wears ...more
Ms. Shoshana
Taylor builds something out of blocks and is sad when it comes down. None of the animals are helping - their coping strategies aren't Taylor's. Finally though, when Taylor is ready to talk, the rabbit listens and eventually Taylor is ready to rebuild. This is a simple and sweet story about overcoming something sad.

I also liked that Taylor's gender is never mentioned or indicated by the illustrations.
Zephyrus White
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How could I not pick up this book? My niece has a stuffed bunny to whom she tells stories as she's falling asleep. But that personal connection aside this book is wonderful. A beutiful simple story of empathy, support, and connection; this book teaches how profound the simple act of listening can be in an absolutely exquisite way. Simple, profound, beautiful.
I did almost docked it a star for making me cry in the bookstore, but I'm gonna let that slide.
Aliza Werner
A beautiful and heartfelt book that shows the power of a quiet, thoughtful listener. When Taylor wanted to experience grief, anger, and various stages of coping, the rabbit was steadfast in patience, waiting, and listening. I particularly love that the MC Taylor is androgynous, with no pronouns that determine Taylor as male or female, so Taylor can be who you want Taylor to be.
emma
i’m not going to lie. i cried a lil bit the first time i read it. i cried a lil bit the second. i took pictures to send to my friend, and i facetimed my other best friend just to read it to him and say YOURE MY RABBIT! we both tear up a lil too much when we are soft. sigh.
Linda Quinn
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This adorable picture book is a gentle way to teach a young child, and remind the rest of us, that sometimes all we need is someone to listen.
Kelsey
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes we just can’t “fix” things for others. It’s during those times that the best thing you can do is just be there and listen.
Garrett
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
This little girl had to go through the seven stages of grief at a very young age.
Abigail
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Emotion & How to Respond to Distress
When Taylor's marvelous block construction is sent tumbling to the ground, the little boy is intensely distraught, and none of the solutions proposed by the string of animals who visit with him do any good. Taylor doesn't want to talk with the chicken, shout with the bear, remember with the elephant, or do any of the other things suggested. It is only when a silent, soft little rabbit comes and sits beside him, offering comfort but no advice, that he slowly regains a better outlook...

Pairing a p
Julie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes all a person needs is someone to just listen and not fix everything. A good choice for children dealing with loss, feelings and emotional issues.
Vicki
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simple story and concept but with beautiful enough illustrations to make this worth it.
Arminzerella
Taylor builds something amazing out of blocks and is devastated when his creation gets destroyed. A whole parade of animals tries to help him feel better, but Taylor doesn't want their advice or suggestions. Finally, rabbit comes and sits quietly next to him. And after awhile, Taylor asks rabbit to stay. Rabbit does, and Taylor tells him all about what he made and how he felt when it was destroyed. Rabbit listens without commenting or suggesting or judging. When Taylor is finished, he shares his ...more

• I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • The Big Umbrella
  • Petra
  • The Day You Begin
  • Come with Me
“Together they sat in silence until Taylor said, 'Please stay with me.' The rabbit listened” 1 likes