Start by marking “The New Class War” as Want to Read:
The New Class War

The New Class War

In both Europe and North America, populist movements have shattered existing party systems and thrown governments into turmoil. The embattled establishment claims that these populist insurgencies seek to overthrow liberal democracy. The truth is no less alarming but is more complex. Western democracies are being torn apart by a new class war.

In this controversial and groun
Published May 20th 2017 by American Affairs Volume I, Number 2

To ask other readers questions about The New Class War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Class War

Start your review of The New Class War
Matthew LaPine
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Lind's latest puts forth the theory that the way to end the current "class war" is to empower those who have become disempowered, through gaining them representation and membership that they had mid-20th-century but which they no longer enjoy. I agree. We have all experienced loss - offshoring, decline of manufacturing, union membership declines and more have led to a net transfer of power from the people to elites.

Along the way, Lind spews jargon and labels more than a person with the flu spews
Jim Robles
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars! I great explanation of our current divide (AKA class war). In my perpetual rant against (pardon the tautology) selfish Baby Boomers, for the rise of Trump, I have always been disturbed by the implication that human nature has changed: it does not. One thing this essay does is explain how Baby Boomers simply found ourselves in a situation that allowed us to achieve a more selfish result, even though we are not so different at the personal level. So much for the diagnosis. The prescrip ...more
John Mayers
Feb 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book I really did. I am like many looking for a way out of our current cultural divisions. This did not do that. Mr Lind filled the book with social jargon that not just clouded his argument but selectively demonized whole classes of people. His narrative is no better than the demonized language of Trump except Lind tries to sound intellectual. I got to chapter 4 and I am done.
Michael Owen
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
This was a dense book that was difficult to follow as an audiobook. I did appreciate the main point of finding a middle path between demagogic populism and technocratic neo-liberalism, a new way to include representation of the vast middle/working class in democratic decision making.

I read this before coronaplague but his advice seems timely. Working people do not have a seat at the table when it comes to decision making. At the national level, decisions are being made by public health experts,
Barbara
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I would like to award more than 5 stars. It shows the rationality among many populist voters and for that reason, is not a book for those stuck in a prejudice against them. However, if such readers think society is at danger from populist movements, Lind shows that this is unlikely. They are not able to develop strong organised movements that will do this. He is excellent on the economics and public welfare demands of unskilled migrants and on the way vast swathes of our populatio ...more
Nick Christofides
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and really helped me understand why we’re all so angry right now... well worth a read for anyone who thinks the worlds about to end, the boffins have it all under control... enough of the populist demagogues, down with the technocratic libertarians and up the democratic pluralists! I think...
S Ravishankar
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent analysis of changes in demographics, population movements in US and UK that all culminated in Brexit vote and Trump’s win in 2016. Also an attempt to forecast how things could turn out in future elections.
Tim

• Culture Warlords: My Journey Into the Dark Web of White Supremacy
  • No One Asked for This: Essays
  • Deaths of Despair and the Future of Capitalism
  • Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • The Murder of Twelve (Murder, She Wrote, #51)
  • Reverie
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • The Great Halifax Explosion: A World War I Story of Treachery, Tragedy, and Extraordinary Heroism
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America
  • The Devil and the Dark Water
  • The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • Dunkirk and the Little Ships
  • The Upswing: How America Came Together a Century Ago and How We Can Do It Again
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
Currently Policy Director of the Economic Growth Program at the New America Foundation in Washington, Michael Lind has been an editor or staff writer for The New Yorker, Harper’s Magazine, and The New Republic and writes frequently for The New York Times and the Financial Times. He is the author of more than a dozen books of history, political journalism, and fiction, including a poetry chapbook, ...more