Start by marking “Turn It Up!” as Want to Read:
Turn It Up!

Turn It Up!

The Nightingales are in a serious funk. Bradley Academy's all-girl a cappella group used to be the pride and joy of the sunshine state, but the Nightingales have fallen out of harmony. Best friends and co-captains Lidia Sato and Sydney Marino aren't speaking. A boy has come between them -- none other than Griffin Mancini, the obnoxious lead singer of Bradley's smug all-boy ...more
Published January 2nd 2018 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Turn It Up!, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
MADISON yes it is a good book

Chelsea
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very bad Pitch Perfect rip off
Mehsi
DNF ~ 37%

This was one of the books I was really looking forward to in 2018, this month specifically. Music, a Capella stuff, multiple POVs, a cute cover, boys, competitions, what more could I want. Well, what I wanted was less effing drama.

Because within those 37% there is so much drama that I was just rolling my eyes so much they popped out of my eye sockets and I had to put them back again. Yes, if this book can do over drama, I can as well. :P I am not sure who of the two bickering girls I di
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)

Turn It Up! was a totally random pick I chose from my library's OverDrive catalog because they didn't have the book I so desperately wanted in my hands right at the very moment. Come on, American Panda. Come to meeee.

Or maybe they did but I didn't feel like reading any fantasy. I've been wanting more and more cute contemporary romances lately. Give me all the cute contemporaries, bookwyrms. I need to feed my latest addiction until I'm tired of it and go back to my usual fantasy groove.

Anyways...
Jo Beth
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Had some much fun reading this Middle grade/YA book. The main characters, girls at a boarding school are best friends and have planned to revive the a cappella singing group that has fizzled out over the years. The two captains, best friends, cannot wait to implement their plans to make their leadership what turns things around. BUT, as so often is the case, when there is a complete misunderstanding,the girls trust what they think they know instead of honestly talking and that leads to a cascade ...more
Cara
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was so boring. I couldn't get into it. I didn't really care what happened to them. And there was a lot of running away from situations. Not metaphoric running away; actual running away. *eye roll*
Rachael  Fryman
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: trc2018, 2018
What does it remind me of? The movie Pitch Perfect.

What is it about? Dueling acapella groups and lots of teenage angsty drama.

What did I love? The fact that one of the MCs finds love via nonpareil candy shopping - a.k.a. a dream meet cute! Also, I am digging this cover. I like how, even though its through lots of angsty drama, it really has a good message of girls coming together to build each other up, not tear each other down.

What I didn't love? The angst - seriously. I nearly DNF'd this one,
Julie
This was...pretty much what I expected. Cute, predictable, lots of girl friendship. Nothing particularly great, but a fun read.
Wisty
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very much a one-sitting, adorable read from one of my most trusted authors! It was just really, really cute. Made me one to jam out to some a capella!
Allison
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Basically a junior high version of pitch perfect, but I did especially like Lidia and Jack.
❤ Aly ❤
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Was looking through my Hoopla and found this. I saw it had to do with a cappella and singing so I decided to give this book a try. Of course this book reminded me of Pitch Perfect! but there was a different story going on besides the competition. I did like concept but it just didn't do it for me.

Lidia and Sydney are best friends. Lidia goes to meet Sydney and finds her kissing her crush. Lidia then leaves and doesn't let Sydney know that she saw it. Lidia then decides to quit the a capella gro
Liralen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, z-2018, reviewed, fiction
Pet (conspiracy?) theory for this book: It was originally written as pure Middle Grade, and the characters were supposed to be 12 or 13...but the editor or literary agent thought it would sell better as YA, so someone find-and-replaced things like ages and grades and mentions of middle school so that the characters were ~15 and in high school, and added a smidge more kissing, and said 'that should do it!'

I actually really love Calonita's books, which I find fun and usually on-point (even if I'm
Barbara
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Calonita, Jen Turn It Up: Practice Makes Pitch Perfect , 272 pages. Point (Scholastic), 2018. $18. Content: Language: PG (2 swears); Mature Content: PG (kissing); Violence: G.

High school sophomores, Sydney and Lidia are co-captains of the Nightingales, an a capella group at Bradley Academy. They are best friends and have been looking forward to getting the Nightingales out of their past slump and building a successful group. Right before the season starts, Lidia sees Sydney kissing her long tim
Madhulika Botlaguduru
While reading the novel, I felt Jen Calonita doesn’t talk much about the characteristics and the personality of the main characters. Although the author shows that the three characters are very smart and hardworking. The characters are immature and are very insecure about themselves. The character development is very weak. This book has written in all the three characters perspective by alternating. The fights between Lidia and Sydney were really childish and felt very boring. Their transition b ...more
KatieLMae
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
As a huge fan of Pitch Perfect I couldn't pass up this book and I have to say it was Acadorable (forgive the pun but I couldn't pass up the opportunity there)

Turn It Up centers around The Nightingales, a struggling female a cappella group at Bradley Academy in Naples, FL. (I have family in naples so it was an added bonus that I recognized places that were talked about) We follow the team as they try to reclaim their former glory and fend off sabotage from their campus rivals, the all male group
Kat
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh, this book was so super predictable, from about the third paragraph I'd figured out the entire plot, but that isn't nesicarily bad if the characters we spend the time with are interesting and full. These weren't. I may be above the generally reccomended age for these books but I've fully enjoyed this authors other books as fun, light reads. This one I rolled my eyes at the entire way through, not a single character seemed developed beyond a series of traits, a charactor likes Sailor Moon bec ...more
Mimi'S Impractically
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NaDell
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
My 13 year old daughter picked out this book at a middle school book fair and it popped up with the "mature content" warning, so she asked me to read it first to make sure it was good for her. (She's very picky about what she will read, which is fine with me!)
It was fun and I liked a lot of it. The drama and challenges weren't all that challenging really, but it will probably be something my daughter enjoys. It didn't seem to me like it dealt with mature themes other than a bit of girl and boy c
Sara
I realized I enjoy a story in the background while I’m working. I usually listen to cozy mysteries and thought I’d try a YA Romance for a switch up!

2.5 ⭐: Story was centered around an a cappella singing group and their rivals. It was certainly Pitch Perfect adjacent in good, fun and also predictable ways. I enjoyed the story but found the overly predictable nature of the story to be less fun than I would like. Yes I know that this genre is often predictable, but this story does more so to me.
Stephanie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Turn It Up is a Pitch Perfect retread for the middle school set. For the record, I loved the first two Pitch Perfect movies and the third one should never have been made. I wanted to like this novel more than I actually did. The plot was weak and the characters were not well-defined. It started slow and it was hard to stay interested. The whole thing felt very fake and manufactured. It will appeal to younger fans of Pitch Perfect and those who love Disney Channel shows with happy endings.
Giselle
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an ok book, some of the characters infuriated me. I expect teenagers to be childish but this specific character was TOO childish. I agree with some of the other reviews, this book is a bit childish for an older audience. But overall it was a decent, fast little read. It won't wow you but you'll enjoy it.
roseinkedpages
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-2019
DNF - page 96
I really wanted to give this book a try; what’s better than music and competing groups? But this book just didn’t work. The characters already annoy me and are whiny. I rarely DNF books (as in maybe one a year?) so that just shows how much I couldn’t stand it.
Saranya Nallamothu
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jamie Blanchard
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I love singing and musicals and this book felt like it was made for me. That being said, it was more about relationships than singing. I only wish she would have described the singing scenes better because if I can't hear the song, I wanted to feel what the characters felt.
Mylien Lai
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars out of 5 stars.
Taylor
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it has interesting chapters that go person by person .
Ex : Lesley chapter 1 : Danielle chapter 2 .
Hazel Leu
Sep 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Pitch Perfect flop.
Sara Jasinski
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute... follows the traditional romantic comedy formula.
Jeanette Grimshaw
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Gator Book
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing. There is so much drama in this book, you just want to keep reading!
Turn It Up- Kareena Saxena 1 1 Dec 05, 2018 04:37PM

• No Place Like Home
  • Our Song
  • Summer Love
  • At First Sight (Love Stories For Young Adults, #32)
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • Island Summer
  • Money Run (Ashley Arthur, #1)
  • What's Hot: (I Heart Bikinis)
  • Family Game Night and Other Catastrophes
  • The Finnish Line
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
  • Whenever I'm with You
  • Fade to Us
  • Surrounded By Sharks
  • Holding Court
  • The Mystery at Disney World
  • The Test
  • What You Always Wanted (If Only . . ., #8)
Hi Goodreads!
I'm Jen Calonita, a MG and YA author who loves what I do because it lets me connect with all of you (and no, I wasn't intending for that to rhyme!).

I've been writing ever since I can remember, but it was fourth grade when I put my "three wishes" for a genie down on paper. They were:
#1. Buy all the Cabbage Patch Kids in the world and give them away for free (because apparently that wa