Start by marking “HSTQ: Summer 2017” as Want to Read:
HSTQ: Summer 2017

HSTQ: Summer 2017

horror, adj: inspiring or creating loathing, aversion, etc.

sleaze, adj: contemptibly low, mean, or disreputable

trash, n: literary or artistic material of poor or inferior quality

Welcome to HST Quarterly, the curated collection from Horror, Sleaze and Trash.
Unbound, 24 pages
Published June 20th 2017 by Horror, Sleaze and Trash

To ask other readers questions about HSTQ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HSTQ

Start your review of HSTQ: Summer 2017
Janie C.
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bravo to the first anniversary issue of HSTQ! What it lacks in horror is well made up for in grit and, yeah, balls. There is a lot of talent and raw emotion in this issue, with a variety of subject matter and voice tones. This is definitely my favorite issue, and I look forward to many more to come. Great job, everyone!
Arthur Graham
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
They say this summer's gonna be a HOT one, and it ain't just 'cos of climate change...

THE FUCKING GLACIERS ARE MELTING Y'ALL, so get your free ebook before it's too late!
Melki
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pure-poetry
Horror and sleaze are definitely prevalent in this collection, and anal sex seems to be a popular theme.

I was tickled pink by James D. Casey IV's Talking to Myself in Public (been there, done that), and unexpectedly touched by John D. Robinson's Listen to Me Son.

Why not indulge your prurient and poetic interests by contacting this guy - Arthur Graham for your own free copy of these ditties?

You'll be glad you did.
Harry Whitewolf
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: poetry
Putting to one side that my own humble offering has been included in this edition, and that there needs to be more horror, I felt that this was the best issue of HST Quarterly I’ve read.

Absolute favourites of this collection were: ‘one of those shits’ by Michael D. Goscinski (“it’d been a while / since i had to shit like that / it was one of those cheek squeezers where you try to hold it / together running for the bathroom / hoping you don’t let loose”) and: ‘Imagining Something In H
Rodney
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: zines
If you have read any of the other HST Quarterlies you have an idea of what to expect, a mix of cynical, dirty and heartfelt poetry. This may be the dirtiest so far, but is not without it's deeper pieces.
My favorites of the bunch:
Art by Ben John Smith
Dumb, Poor and Benign by Michael Marrotti
Stepdad by Scott Emerson
Talking to Myself in Public by James D. Casey IV
What a Day by Johnny Scarlotti
A Close Escape by Harry Whitewolf
When the Dick Died Inside by Re
India
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rating for the poets that are far more talented than I am. I like to read poetry a couple of times before I feel like I'm done and I read this over and over and enjoyed it more every time.
Jason
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Wow it's been a year of these publications already. I've enjoyed this one, only problem is either I'm getting desensitized to the violence or things are getting more sensible. Great to see the regulars posting Arthur Graham, Ben John Smith, A. Blumer and Johnny "The Great" Scarlotti. Was also good to see some newcomers that I've heard off JA "QMC" Carter-Winward, Rebecca Gransden and Harry Whitewolf....In stockings it seems :-)

If I had to pick a favourite it would have to be a poet,
A. Blumer
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I think I laughed more throughout this quarterly than any of the others. Maybe HST isn't particularly meant for invoking humor but I think it also matters how sick and twisted you are.

I felt like the work in here followed the HST theme rather well, actually. If we go by the definition of things which create aversion, (like having a dead body for a boyfriend or filleting a human carcass to fuck and die inside) I would say horror was represented along with Sleaze and Trash.

Two poems that stuck m
James IV
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Great issue featuring some incredible talent. Proud to be a part of it among so many other awesome writers.
J.A. Carter-Winward
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Arthur Graham does an excellent job of fooling you. You might think you're getting "horror, sleaze, and trash," but he throws in some damn fine, goddamned good shit in there, too. No, it won't make your MFA brother-in-law quiver with lambent illumination in his decorous-dulled chinos, but for those of us seeking the real world in our art, rather than forcing a fake one into it, it nudges you right where it counts (I'll let you decide where that is for yourself. )
Leo Robertson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Made for a highly entertaining flight back from Glasgow! For 24 pages, I didn't think about dying in a horrible crash—and that's saying something ;)
Jack Stark
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, short-stories
Shockingly repulsive.
Scott Emerson
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Features my poem "Stepdad."
Joseph Spuckler
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anniversary edition. Well done
Igrowastreesgrow
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, free
As always, a great collection.
Marc
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes poetry should chafe a little bit. Leave you a little sticky, and wishing that public bathroom had had running water or soap. Schedule that doc appointment now before the itching starts...
Michael Faun
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining unholy bible of rawness and sleaze! Looking forward to read the autumn edition!
Kent Winward
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been re-reading the HSTQ as part of the whole New Year's resolution gig -- go for what is attainable -- plus it pads my "Books Read" stats for later when I start reading 900 page Russian novels.

I've always thought Bukowski was relevant and a classic, not because he wrote about menial jobs, drinking, women, and horse racing, but because he managed to capture universal and ineffable aspects of the human condition. The booze and tough guy shtick was his artistic means of entry.

Now that I'm o
Jun 02, 2017
Ju$tin
May 30, 2017
Casey Kiser
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Danielle Richardson

• i'm alive / it hurts / i love it
  • The Great Financial Crisis: Causes and Consequences
  • Harmonica for Dummies [With CDROM]
  • Wakefield
  • Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)
  • Cameron Fucks Dead Pigs & I Got Called a Scrounger
  • House Rules
  • Singularity 7
  • Click
  • Polkabats and Octopus Slacks: 14 Stories

Arthur Graham is a professional editor/writer currently residing in Salt Lake City, Utah. He is an accomplished noveler, storyist, and publishite by all accounts. His work has been unfairly compared to that of Charles Bukowski, William S. Burroughs, Hunter S. Thompson, and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Once a promising purveyor of fine literary fiction, he has since been reduced to churning out chapbooks ins