Start by marking “Poinciana” as Want to Read:

Poinciana

A millionaire’s Florida estate becomes a sinister trap for his bride in this classic gothic romance from “a superb and gifted storyteller” (Mary Higgins Clark).

On the Florida coastline stands Poinciana, the Logan family’s fabulous mansion. Inside its storied walls are the two most prized possessions of patriarch Ross Logan: his invaluable collection of Oriental art and,
Published July 4th 2017 by Open Road Media Romance (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Poinciana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poinciana

Start your review of Poinciana
Julie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Poinciana by Phyllis A. Whitney is a 2017 Open Road Media publication. (Originally published in 1980)

A solid, classic Gothic mystery from one of the best writers in the genre

This story is centered around Sharon, a young woman who lost both of her parents in a tragic accident. Shortly thereafter, she marries Ross, an old friend of her parents, who is considerably older.

Ross soon installs his new bride in Poinciana, his Florida estate, where she receives a rather chilly reception from Ross’s
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Victoria Holt might be the most famous Gothic romance novelist but in terms of consistently good output, I think Phyllis A. Whitney is by far the best. POINCIANA, with its twists and turns of family drama, inheritance, Japanese art, and revenge, reminded me why I love these books so much. If you ever read those Point Horror middle grade novels as a kid, the effect of these is much the same, only with more sex and scandal, and with adult
Patt
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of Phyllis Whiney's earlier books. I really enjoyed it. It had lots of mysterious happenings along with a little romance. I loved the descriptions of Poinciana,a wealthy family's Florida estate, and could picture it quite clearly from the good descriptions. The ending was quite a shock to me, and I can honestly say I had no idea who the murderer was till the very end. I love when a book can keep me guessing.
Betty
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, e-books
This gothic romance is set on Palm Springs Island at the family mansion of the wealthy Logan family. The poinciana is in full bloom. The mansion is full of art and other valuable collections. Some of the pieces are missing. Ross Logan returns bringing his bride, Sharon to stay. She must contend with her step daughter, a confidence man, his ex-wife, his executive assistant, and his elderly mother. The servants defer to others rather than her. Sharon is crushed as she realized that Ross married ...more
Jane Drager
I normally like Phyllis A. Whitney but I had a lot of trouble finishing this book. The main reason was because I wanted to slap the heroine for being so hesitant.
Angie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it

I enjoyed this American gothic set on a Palm Beach Florida estate, Poinciana. It's a women's mystery-suspense of the slower moving type, a gentler one, if you will. To set the stage, we have newlyweds Sharon & Ross coming to live in his family mansion. He's famous, wealthy, and older than her, and she's a bit insecure and needy for love, and is recently orphaned by an accident. Her mother was a famous singer/actress, and gave her only daughter very little attention and real love.
Dayna Smith
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Palm Beach home of Ross Logan contains his celebrated collection of oriental art, and a prized new possession -- his young bride. Inside Poinciana a tidal wave of intrigue swells and not one of the Logans is safe. Especially not Sharon, who is hated by Gretchen, Ross's daughter from a previous marriage, by her ne'er-do-well husband, Vasily, and by Ross's strange mother, Allegra. Sharon uncovers a devastating secret about her own relationship with her husband -- a secret that, in the end, ...more
Edee
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I remember growing up Phyllis Whitney was one of my mom's favorite authors and I also read some of her young adult books when I was a teenager, so I was greatly looking forward to revisiting her work. Unfortunately, I did not find this novel to be what I was hoping for. It felt like a winding journey to get to the end and there were many digressions from the main storyline. It seemed that just as Sharon would discover some plot twist and I would think the story would take off, it felt flat. I ...more
Lauren
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, romance
Not a particular favorite but still a great story. I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Helen
Set in Palm Beach a new bride seeks to find a family and a home. Romantic mystery.
Michelle Kidwell

by Phyllis A. Whitney

Open Road Integrated Media
Mystery & Thrillers , Romance

Pub Date 04 Jul 2017

I am voluntarily reviewing Poinciana through Open Integrated Media and Netgalley:

Poinciana is the fabulous mansion of the Logan's Family standing on the Florida Coastline. Sharon is Ross Logan's new bride. Ross's first wife died and his second divorced him.

Soon after she arrives Sharon realizes it is not at all what she hoped it would be. She can't ignore the strange undercurrents of
Heather Brooks
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. This also may be the first Phyllis A Whitney where I guessed right on the villain.
Jo Ann
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting book not at all what I thought it would be, but very poignant since I knew the places well that were described therein
Jenn Estepp
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Whitney - Sharon's a bit of a drip and passive to a frustrating degree (even within the bounds of a typical Whitney heroine trajectory). Also, none of the dudes are particularly compelling, although I guess the setting is nice?
Robyn Owens
Set in Palm Springs, Florida. A rich estate owner dies and his young bride inherits all-if she survives. Good mystery and kept me guessing until the end.
Theresa

• Cub
  • The Okay Witch
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Winterwood
  • A Simple Country Murder: A 1940s Cotswolds Mystery (Helen Lightholder,#1)
  • Mapp and Lucia (Lucia, #4)
  • Wired Love: A Romance of Dots and Dashes
  • Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1)
  • The Family Journal
  • Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1)
  • River Road
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • Into The Fire
  • Still Life with Murder  (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #1)
  • Borrower of the Night (Vicky Bliss, #1)
  • Play Dirty
  • Tiger vs. Nightmare
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (1903 – 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her early years in Asia. Whitney wrote more than seventy novels. In