Start by marking “The Suicide Plan” as Want to Read:
The Suicide Plan

The Suicide Plan

A chilling new suspense novella

Standing up and welcoming everyone to the spiritualist church is something Patrick McLaughlin does most evenings. Most of the faces in the audience are familiar to him, except one. David Hopkirk walks into the West End Spiritualist church in Glasgow and slits his own throat in the middle of a demonstration. But why?

Patrick is then catapulted
Published May 30th 2017 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about The Suicide Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Suicide Plan

Start your review of The Suicide Plan
Danny
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the brilliant novellas by S Pearce, I thought I would give other short stories a go. This one is a paranormal murder mystery. The protagonist, Patrick McLaughlin, contacts spirits and passes their messages on. His world gets turned upside down when someone walks into one of his meetings and kills himself right there and then. Why? Well, read the story to find out. It is an enjoyable read, if a little bit predictable. The interest lies not so much in the final revelation, but in the ...more
Sue
THE SUICIDE PLAN is a novella by Emma L. Clapperton, a paranormal and murder mystery.

He witnesses a suicide. The victim had asked him for his help before he killed himself.

Patrick McLaughlin and his fiancée, Jodie run a spiritualist meeting, providing messages for people from their passed loved ones.

Standing up and welcoming everyone to the spiritualist church is something Patrick McLaughlin does most evenings. Most of the faces in the audience are familiar to him, except one. Then a man walks
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
One thing I really like with novellas is that it gives one the chance to see if a series will work for you or not. There are several times when I have read a novella and afterward decided to buy a book in the series because I liked the novella so much.

The Suicide Plan starts off with Patrick McLaughlin getting the shock of his life when David Hopkirk walks into the West End Spiritualist church in Glasgow and slits his throat before Patrick's eyes. Since Patrick is a medium can see ghosts and it
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
The Suicide Plan is a short novella that focuses on Patrick McLaughlin, who is part of the West End Spiritualist Church in Glasgow. On this particular evening, a man called David Hopkirk comes into the church and commits suicide in front of the congregation. This traumatic incident begs the question, why there? Why in Patrick’s church?

What follows is an unusual story, with elements of the paranormal as well as a murder case that is time-sensitive. I don’t know what I was expecting when I started
Linda Strong
On the night Patrick McLaughlin welcomes people to his spiritualist church, the strangest thing happened. Patrick is used to strange, weird, different as he is a psychic who passes on messages from the dead to the loved ones they have left behind. (Think Mark Edward, Psychic).

A man, David Hopkirk, walks into the church, disrobes, and announces that Patrick can help him but only after his death. He then calmly whips out a knife and cuts his own throat.

Feeling obligated to investigate. Patrick
Claire
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I half knew what to expect with The Suicide Plan, having read Deja Vu and The Boy Who Wasn't There by Ms Clapperton. But what I didn't expect was the totally gruesome start with David Hopkins' very public suicide as Patrick McLaughlin starts his service. I have to admit, this shocked me! And then what ensued was a crime thriller with a difference.
Patrick has his work cut out trying to solve the mystery around the death of David's son. He needs to find the witnesses to the tragedy, but one of
Bandit
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a random Kindle freebie. The sort of thing to grab when you don’t want to make any decisions and have some time to kill. In fact it didn’t kill that much time even, 45 minutes or so, very quick read. Supernatural murder mystery where the convoluted book logic (on par with convoluted dream logic to give you an idea) leads to a solution via a thoroughly circuitous way of the accused party committing suicide and then assisting with investigation from the other side of the veil as it were, ...more
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Suicide Plan is a short novella featuring Patrick McLaughlin who can communicate with people on the other side.

What a great start to a story! Not so great for Patrick and the people in the audience someone taking their own life before them but boy was I hooked from that point.

I’ve always had a fascination with all things paranormal so this grabbed my interest straight away. The fact it was to do with a father whose son had died under suspicious circumstances made it even more intriguing.

For
Mandy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies, novellas
What a great opening! A good story though I have to admit I didn't enjoy the dialogue between the characters very much as it felt a little stilted and the ending was a bit predictable.
Susan Hampson
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-reads
Well I can truly say that I didn’t see that happening in the first few pages. When David Hopkirk arrived after the spiritual meeting had begun at Patrick McLaughlin’s church, it soon became obvious that he was a very disturbed man. I thought ‘eh up mate you can’t do that in here’ then it really took a dive, to be honest it couldn’t get any worse really, all hell had broken out. I mean talk about grabbing your attention, he certainly had mine and he definitely had Patrick McLaughlin’s.

Patrick and
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
I've only read a handful of paranormal books and two of these are Emma's first two in her Patrick McLaughlin series which I thoroughly enjoyed. Even though this is not my favourite genre, for some reason this author's work attracts and intrigues me!

Patrick and Jodie are a married couple, but unlike any ordinary couple, they are mediums. They both have the ability to hear and speak with the dead. They pass on messages from the other side to living relatives and vice versa. The burden of having
Best Crime Books & More
This novella by Emma Clapperton forms part of the series featuring Patrick McLaughlin. Now firstly this series is a paranormal series which I know isn't for everybody, and normally I would include myself in that list. However, there are exceptions to my rule and certain authors manage to hook me with this genre and Emma Clapperton is one of them. Patrick and Jodie McLaughlin are both mediums and Patrick uses his gift to try and pass along messages to people who have lost loved ones. One evening ...more
Noelle
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Huge thanks to the author, Emma L Clapperton, for giving me and ARC in exchange for an honest review.

OMFG #bookjunkies! Two things first: THAT cover and THAT blurb! Both would have me grabbing the book off a shelf in order to purchase! Talk about a #KillerHook – and I had not even started the book yet!

In this superb novella, we return to Glasgow and meet up with Patrick and Jodie McLaughlin. The paranormal couple are met with tragedy, loss, betrayal and the search for the truth.

The plot is
Books 'n' All  Promotions
My Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars.

This is a prequel novella and is the first book I have read by Emma Clapperton.

I was unsure what to expect from the book as it doesn’t perfectly fit my usual genre of crime fiction.

Patrick is the leader of a spiritual church and claims to be able to contact the dead. However, his detective skills are put to the test when a man walks into his church asking for help before committing suicide.

David has been accused of a heinous crime and although found not guilty he is
Shell Baker
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Suicide Plan is a short novella introducing us to Patrick McLaughlin a psychic medium basically a person who can communicate with the dead. I am a big fan and believer of things like this. So knowing this book was a crime story with the element of supernatural I found it perfect.

With an OMG start it grabbed me from the very first page and I didn't put it down until the end….it is certainly a page turner. In this story we follow Patrick on a case where he see’s the death of a child and a
Nicki Southwell
Patrick McLaughlin is at his spiritual home at the West End Spiritual Church.

During a regular service in walks David, carrying a knife. He calmly approaches Patrick, and says, “after I have gone...” removes his clothes and then slashes his throat in front of Patrick and the congregation.

Everyone is in shock until Patrick comes to his senses and ushers everyone out of the building.

Who is this man and why did he choose to die in front of everyone?

Patrick is feeling extremely unsettled and it is
Cheryl
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3.5 star read with promise.

An interesting, enticing short novella featuring a couple that operate a Spiritualist Church, each with their own special paranormal perceptions. The protagonist, Patrick McLaughlin, heads the church helping to connect members with their passed over loved ones. (Think physic Mark Edwards)
In this story we see a church session interrupted by a man seeking help who commits suicide directly in front of Patrick.
His ghost then asks for help in finding out who
Kady Monroe
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
The Suicide Plan is a short novella and is part ghost story, and part detective story. In this case, the person investigating is in fact a spiritualist medium trying to find out the truth about the death of a young boy after the boy's father commits suicide in front of the main character.
I found this book to be a quick and interesting read. Even towards the end of the story, I still had no idea who was to blame for the boy's death.
Well worth reading.
David Murphy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short Novella but a highly rewarding read. I've already picked up another book from Emma Clapperton. I loved her style of writing.
Beau
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting when I couldn't sleep one night. Very good book, a bit spooky.
Susan Angela Wallace
The suicide plan by Emma L Clapperton.
Standing up and welcoming everyone to the spiritualist church is something Patrick McLaughlin does most evenings. Most of the faces in the audience are familiar to him, except one. David Hopkirk walks into the West End Spiritualist church in Glasgow and slits his own throat in the middle of a demonstration. His reasoning? Patrick is only of use to him in death.
an absolutely fantastic read with brilliant characters. I love Patrick and how he wouldn't give
Alison
Aug 11, 2018 added it
Review to follow.
Kristina Lenarczyk
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this short-story to be very captivating, and a great introduction to a series. I love the idea of a novella that allows the reader to decide if they like the characters, the plot, and the writing before diving into a series.

There isn’t much I can say about it negatively or constructively, because it was so short there was no character development or anything that I usually look for and appreciate. I am going to assume that if I read the full-length novels in this series I will have a
Shell Baker
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Gordon Mcghie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Suicide Plan was a wee gem of a read. I don’t normally (well don’t ever) read short stories or novellas but I quite liked the sound of this one so decided to give it a go and I am glad I did.

The story was quite harrowing in places and Emma Clapperton is not pulling any punches as she puts her characters through the emotional wringer. The story opens with a man who felt he had no one left to turn to for support. He takes his own life in a crowded hall in the presence of a spiritualist in the
Alexina
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella, that introduces us to Patrick and Jodie, which packed a punch with a gritty start.
Patrick is a medium and runs the Spritualist church with his partner Jodie.
David Hopkirk is a man on the edge, and kills himself in front of Patrick begging for him to help him from the other side.
This teaser of a novella gives a great insight in to what we can expect in future novels. I am looking forward to reading more about the spiritual aspect of the books as well as getting to know Patrick
Jacqueline Evans
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not being a fan of spiritualist churches, I was a little unsure if I'd like this novella. After a friend's recommendation however, I felt spurred on to finish it and am so glad I did. Patrick McLaughlin who runs the church, grew on me; I liked his humble nature and the fact that there was nothing airy-fairy about his character. I loved the crime element too; and wanting to know the outcome kept me turning the pages. Will I be reading the series that follows this gripping introduction?....Most ...more
Gillian Ashton
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Novella. The plot was a great idea. It was easy to guess the ending but that didn't bother me. It was also easy to see how people get swept up in lies and fear. Worth a quick read.
Breakaway Reviewers
“You can only help me…..but only when I’m dead!”

Patrick McLaughlin is a spiritualist and is just about to begin a session for the assembled audience, who are hoping to receive messages from the departed family and friends. Jodie, his fiancé is closing the door when a bedraggled man pushes past her and refuses to leave until he’s spoken to Patrick. Patrick asks how he can help him and the man replies that he wants to find out whether he killed his son, but that Patrick will only be able to help
Jessica Bronder
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick and Jodie McLaughlin are mediums. One day as they are in church, David Hopkirk comes in and approaches Patrick. He says, “after I have gone…” then proceeds to cut his own throat. Of course Patrick and Jodie are going to look into David and they learn that two years earlier his son died under mysterious circumstances but the case went cold. There is something strange about the case and Patrick and Jodie are going to have to communicate with spirits to solve it.

This is my first book from
« previous 1 3 next »

• Beyond Evidence
  • The Dead Whisper
  • The Text
  • Alive (The Craftsman #0.5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • In Dark Corners: Three sinister short stories to read after dark
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Death’s Door
  • Three Things I’d Tell My Younger Self
  • Killing the Dead (Killing the Dead #1)
  • Just A Little Terrible
  • Before You Sleep
  • Berkley Street (Berkley Street #1)
  • The Foster Child
  • The Memory Wood
I write supernatural thrillers under Emma Clapperton and psychological thrillers under the pseudonym Alex Kane.