Start by marking “Thank You, Earth: A Love Letter to Our Planet” as Want to Read:
Thank You, Earth: A Love Letter to Our Planet

Thank You, Earth: A Love Letter to Our Planet

Water, air, light.

Patterns, curves, shapes, colors.

Things that crawl, fly, float, run, bloom, ripen.

Think of everything Earth gives us.

What are you most thankful for?
Published February 20th 2018 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Earth

Start your review of Thank You, Earth: A Love Letter to Our Planet
Krista Regester
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
If I'm reading it for work it counts alright! ...more
Lynn
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really lovely with lots of possibilities for classroom use. Plenty of excellent back matter that includes resources and many suggested and doable actions.
Heidi
This beautifully illustrate book offers an ode to the many things that our earth gives us. Trees, water, air, and mountains, things big and small, simple and fancy, sights and sounds, are mentioned and appreciated. This would be a great book to use on Earth Day to remember the planet that is our home. The photographs are gorgeous, both the close-up and far away shots. The end of the book gives suggestions for how to expand the reach of the book, including ideas for how children can help our plan ...more
Becky
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ah-this exquisite love letter to our planet earth is filled with a multitude of detailed images. April Pulley Sayre's note to our planet explores a variety of habitats, showcases plants and animals, both large and small. The unique perspective leaves the reader with a new-found appreciation for all that our Earth provides. A note from the author challenges readers to consider actions, investigation and exploring organizations that help our planet. ...more
Vicki
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Thank April Pulley Sayre for creating this book. You do such an amazing job bringing nature up close and personal for children.

Thank you for using a photo of Miner's Castle from the Pictured Rocks next to Lake Superior. The Great Lakes are rarely acknowledged in books like this.
Lisa Newman
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful message and photos throughout.
Deborah
Really terrific back-matter about how kids/we can "turn a thank you into action." ...more
LizzyBerry
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Any book with a bunch of baby sea turtles is an automatic 5 star rating. I really want to do the activity in the back, writing thank you notes to the earth for next Earth Day.
Erin Buhr
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful love letter to our planet. A lovely poem and stunning photos perfectly paired to educate and celebrate the planet Earth.
Beverly
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
Gorgeous photos.
Kristen LeBlanc
Shaye Miller
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
With rhyming poetry, this love letter to the planet Earth is gorgeous. The photography is stunning, showcasing animals, food, air, trees, seasons, and so much more. The back matter includes an author's note, a variety of activities to do, a list of resources and organizations, and the details about every photo taken. What a treasure to share with both children and adults!

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at The
J
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really beautiful photographs, but I got mixed results reading this one to different preschool groups no matter how interactive I tried to make it.
Tara Engel
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful images and words to corelate. A must read for all ages.
Julie
Beautiful, amazing photography that illuminates all sorts of related ideas for children in the form of expressions of gratitude to the earth. I am neither a scientist not a mathematician, but even I caught onto the scientific and mathematical concepts the author was demonstrating. The stunning photographs related microcosm to macrocosm - tiny, living creatures to the wider world they inhabit. My favorite photograph was the dark-eyed junco, either landing on or taking wing from a branch of pussyw ...more
michelle
April Pulley Sayre brings all of the reasons that our earth is special together in a beautiful book of photography entitled Thank You, Earth: A Love Letter to our Planet. Told through simple photography and a limited number of words, Sayre writes an ode to earth - to the big and the small, the good and the bad, the animals and colors that constantly amaze us. The photographs are absolutely breathtaking. Sayre goes into amazing details on some of the photographs and captures all of the things tha ...more
SJ Loria
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There aren't enough books like this. Wonderful and refreshing. A beautiful message (the planet is awesome) and beautiful photography.
It is much easier to complain about life, to notice things that are wrong, than it is to acknowledge the beauty that is present in the universe. In Renaissance paintings, for example, hell is always more beautifully and vibrantly pained than is heaven. In modern life, our shallow electronic means of communication and sensationalized infotainment media outlets ampl
Susie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I imagine April Pulley Sayre enjoyed the travel to capture these photographs! I have seen her in person several times, and appreciate how clever she is in her writing. (My favorite work of hers might actually be the Bicentennial Chant she wrote for Indiana.)

As with many picture books these days, especially non-fiction, there is back matter that can be used to extend the reading. I also enjoyed seeing where the photographs were from, several of them from Indiana.

I could see having students creat
Tasha
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sayre provides a love letter to the Earth in this picture book. With a reverential tone and gentle rhymes, the book swoops the reader up on a photographic journey around Earth with all of its wonders. Thank yous go out for mountains, water, air and trees. Then the book moves to smaller things like patterns, sounds, seasons and plants. The book once again widens to look at the beauty of the sky and the amazement of lifetimes.

Embracing and filled with just the right tone of enthusiasm, this pictur
SheReads
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for YA Books Central

A beautiful and well-done love letter to our planet.

Gosh, what can I say about this one? I loved it. It's like an earth lover's dream.

The pages chronical everything about the earth there is to love and is thankful for each. Things like water and stone and vines and shapes. The words follow a rhythm that makes reading them a pleasure. The lower age range says four, but I read this with a three-year-old and she loved it as well.

Final Verdict: Bright colors and animal
Brenda Kahn
I'm pretty good about writing thank you notes. I didn't do the best of jobs instilling this habit in my sons; but do appreciate a good thank you note. (I'm lookin' at you, Kate, Aiden and Seamus!) This photo essay/ poem is an absolutely gorgeous meditation on gratitude for our living, breathing planet. Truly, a first purchase for ANY public, school or classroom library. Seriously, its intriguing backmatter notwithstanding, there are tons of cross-curricular uses for this gem. Don't miss it! ...more
Jana
Using amazing photography and lyrical rhyming text, this “Thank You” letter to the Earth celebrates all of the wonderful creatures and natural wonders of the world. This would be a great book to share with young readers in the days leading up to Earth Day. The end notes give readers more ideas on how to help the environment and detailed notes about the photographs.
Elaine Fultz
Gorgeous nature photographs are accompanied by simple poetic text. Author note includes examples of and suggestions for young people's involvement in caring for the earth + a list of organizations that support environmental and wildlife causes (Goodall Roots and Shoots, Monarch Watch, and Balloons Blow are some of the lesser known groups). ...more
Miranda Eaton
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This would be a great addition to any elementary school classroom. This book promotes youth activism and conservation of our planet. The visuals are amazing and real life depictions of different aspects of our earth. There is a lot of room to use comprehension strategies such as making connections, visualizing, and asking questions.
Emma
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to pull off a good photographically illustrated picture book. This one is stunning. A thoughtful introduction to nature and its concepts. This will appeal to kids of all ages and is sure to be a storytime hit too. Lovely. ...more
Kelsey
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Age: Infant-Preschool

Crisp closeups and gorgeous panoramas capture the beauty of the Earth as the text gives gratitude to all there is. Would be a great intro for a class photography project or to celebrate the many facets of our great, green Earth.
Kristin
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stunning photographs show plants, animals, natural formations and resources in a thank you letter to Earth for all it provides those who inhabit it. The back matter provides various ideas and resources for taking action to protect planet Earth.
Pam
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Amazing photography supports the text as the author takes us through everything to be grateful for about earth.
Don't miss the resources at the end for adults too.
Subtle way to emphasize we need to take care of our planet.
Angela
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
A classroom library must-have. Stunning photos complemented by lyrical prose. A thank you work of art to our planet. Informative back matter shows how readers can get show their appreciation to Mother Earth. This book is great for everyday but is especially perfect for Earth Day.
Karrie Chajkowski
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: swon-books
The beautiful photographs in this book meld with a simple and perfectly written thank you note to the Earth. Other than the gorgeous photos, the author’s suggestions on ways to put ideas and thanks into action to help the world around them was the icing on the cake. Well done!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Creekfinding: A True Story
  • Zonia's Rain Forest
  • My Heart Fills With Happiness
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual persp ...more