Jump to ratings and reviews

The Seismic Seven

This action-packed, science-infused adventure follows a group of seven kids racing to save the world from a deadly supervolcano.

Brianna Dobson has been chosen to work with world-renowned geologist Dr. Grier in Yellowstone National Park for the summer, and she couldn’t be more excited!

But then Dr. Grier tells her and the other kids on the project the real reason she’s invited them to Yellowstone: A massive supervolcano in the park is about to erupt—and if they can’t stop it, Earth will be plunged into an endless winter, and civilization will be destroyed.

Bri and her new friends are ready and willing to help stop the eruption, but unexpected dangers threaten to foil their efforts. Will the Seismic Seven be able to defy nature and save the world?

352 pages, ebook

First published June 1, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Katie Slivensky

2 books65 followers
Katie Slivensky is the critically acclaimed author of middle grade sci-fi adventures, The Countdown Conspiracy and The Seismic Seven. She is a professional science educator and enthusiast who has worked in zoos and museums since age 11. Her love of learning has resulted in a lifetime of adventures, including helping separate fighting rhinos, falling down a cliff in search of fossils, flying an astronaut through the solar system (the astronaut was real, the solar system was a simulation), nursing a stranded baby mouse back to health, creating million-volt lightning bolts while standing just an inch away, and handling feisty alligators. She is a firm believer that science and adventure are for everyone, and that kids have a lot to teach adults about how to save the world.

Katie grew up in Michigan and currently lives just outside Boston with her family, including her two absurd cats, Galileo and Darwin. She has science degrees from the University of Michigan and Stony Brook University. She is represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (1%)
1 star
3 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 29 of 29 reviews
Profile Image for Kathryn.
4,140 reviews
September 28, 2019
Oh dear. This is barely three stars for me. I can't honestly say that I liked it. The chief feeling I had while reading it was one of annoyance. It could have been so good! I think the author had a great idea, and her heart was in the right place. There are things to celebrate. I love the idea of kids using science to save the world. The setting certainly allowed for lots of adventure and excitement. I appreciated the cast of diverse characters from different backgrounds working together, underprivileged children, children from broken homes, even a character with a prosthetic leg (who is most definitely not to be pitied and contributes much to the team). We even have strong female scientists.

However, I felt it didn't deliver. The tone was uneven and I was kind of surprised at some of the dark aspects as it didn't seem like it was going to be that type of book. (Okay, I know it's about an apocalyptic event, not like I expected it to be all peachy keen. But the villain is just really, really bad and some pretty sad and disturbing things happen--nothing more than in, say, Harry Potter, but maybe it's just the way it was delivered that bothered me.) I never really connected with any of the characters and didn't feel emotionally invested. It was more science-fiction than science-fact. And some illustrations would have really helped me grasp all the complexities of drilling the different tunnels and such--I admit to zoning out and skimming a few times because it was confusing and thus boring to me.

I also felt that the author laid some pretty harsh information about climate change, species extinction, etc. on children's laps without really providing them any concrete tools for how to go about changing that in the real world. The Author's Note was like some good fairy blowing in after the dust has settled from all the wicked witch's destruction and saying, hey, don't worry, the Yellowstone supervolcano won't really go off so that's no biggie and if we work together we can make the world a better place. But when your books says things like "the turning point for climate change has long since past: this is the end" or "85% of species will be lost by 2045" I really think you need to give children more guidance than "work together and make the world a better place." Either make this an environmentalist book or don't. And if you're going there, please give readers some concrete ideas of what they can do right now, in their daily lives, even if they are doing it alone, that will help the planet.

My other issues with the book are all spoilers so I won't elaborate.
Profile Image for Qt.
501 reviews
October 5, 2019
For me, this was probably more of a two-star book, but there were some interesting ideas and a couple of twists I didn't see coming, and maybe I just wasn't the right audience for it, so I'm going with three stars. I never connected to any of the characters and had a hard time following the "scientific" aspects of it.
Profile Image for Kayla.
378 reviews10 followers
April 17, 2019
Another fun roller coaster from Katie Slivensky!! Both of her books would make excellent movies. I love that she pushes the plot to the extreme, and the solutions aren’t simple. I don’t want to give any spoilers, but I definitely recommend both of her books.
The only negative- a few swears and a bunch of religious exclamations. Neither enhance the writing or story.
Profile Image for Laura.
3,645 reviews95 followers
May 23, 2018
Starts out as a standard "going to do something interesting during Summer Vacation" book with a bunch of misfits but ends up as a Saving the World book. I don't know that much about vulcanology, or the Yosemite supervolcano, but with Mount Kilauea erupting this is a timely topic. Because this is one of the "save the world" books, there are times when belief must be suspended and, as a result, the characters don't really change or grow (a couple do, but certainly not all of the seven - and the adults are pretty caricatured throughout). How accurate the science is I'll leave to experts.

ARC provided by publisher.
66 reviews8 followers
April 12, 2019
This book did end up pulling me in and making me want to finish even though I wasn’t sure if I would at first.

However, a couple notes:

— the science gets really confusing in some places and what they were doing was hard to picture.

— a couple characters sometimes spoke in Spanish but there were no translations in the book. That was slightly frustrating.

Over all: good book! Fun times.
452 reviews8 followers
March 24, 2018
I suspect that middle grade and middle school students will find this science filled adventure engaging. I found the major plot points hard to accept and the character development of the kids a bit flat.
Profile Image for Becky B.
7,262 reviews91 followers
March 20, 2020
Bri and 3 other kids have been selected for a special summer program at Yellowstone Park with a premier geologist. But after they say goodbye to their parents and get to the park they find out they've actually be recruited to help stop the eruption of the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone. Soon their days are filled with drilling a shaft to help release just enough pressure to diffuse the volcano. But there's more going on than Bri or the other kids have any clue about.

This has all the makings of a B scifi disaster movie. There are twists and turns, secrets upon secrets, and an end of the world scenario building to a huge climax that puts everyone's lives at serious risk. Because it is a middle grade novel and not a movie aimed at adults, the survival rate is quite a bit better than average for a disaster story but there's a bit more death and serious injuries than an average middle grade novel. I started to feel like maybe there were too many plot twists, and I felt like the solution had some holes . I did like that the author clarified in the back of the book the set up for this story is completely made up and the supervolcano under Yellowstone is super stable right now. Kids looking for a high action, twisty-turny adventure with kids racing the clock to save the world from a natural disaster should enjoy this.

Notes on content: 6 mild swear words and it is mentioned they swear worse things but it isn't written or hinted what they say. No sexual content. There's some serious child endangerment going on with the kids working drills underground. There are some fatalities mentioned but not shown, a couple serious injuries mentioned but not described in graphic detail. Kidnapping and child slavery are part of the story.
Profile Image for Michelle Arredondo.
478 reviews40 followers
April 5, 2018
I have two boys. A 6 year old and a 10 year old. The 10 year old struggles to read and because of that does not look forward to reading time. Being that I am an avid book reader I always seek out interesting books for him to read so that he will want to dive into a story and enjoy it without feeling like it's work to do so. The Seismic Seven was a recommendation...and from the cover I knew it looked like just the thing that he would be interested in. Reading other reviews...reading the blurb...another indicator. I got the book....and it was a success not just for the 10 year old but most especially for the 6 year old.

The Seismic Seven follows several kids that are a part of a summer program led by prominent geologist Dr. Samantha Grier in Yellow Stone that they won a contest for or so they thought. More than just some fun program for kids to do in the summer months...turns out they are a part of a major event..or rather they are chosen to help stop this major event...a volcano eruption that will create massive destruction to the Earth. Sounds a little far fetched...kids helping to stop a volcano, right?! I mean why not actual certified professional adults, right??! But what would be the fun in that..and why would kids want to read about adults solving and fixing things when they can read about other kids doing great and miraculous things. That's of course the intrigue for my kids...surely the same for others. My kids had a lot of fun listening to this tale. I had a lot of fun reading it to them. It's a book I will be rereading to them over again in the near future I'm sure.

Highly recommend.

Thanks as always to the wonderful people of goodreads, Katie Slivesky, and to Harper Collins for my free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review to which I gladly and voluntarily gave.
Profile Image for Lorie Barber.
557 reviews36 followers
March 14, 2018
One of the things I liked about The Countdown Conspiracy, Slivensky’s debut, is that I LEARNED so much as I was taken on a wild, rollercoaster of an adventure ride. The same has proven true for her sophomore effort. As I followed the journey of four kids who are trying to save the planet from a supervolcanic eruption, I was given a crash course in earth science. The fast pace and - holy plot twists, Batman - things I never saw coming kept me completely engaged and rooting for the kids.

One thing I would have liked was to know a bit more about the characters, Kenzie and Wyatt in particular. But I realize this is because I connected so strongly to them that I wanted to know them more. I mean, I cried at one point. In the end, this story was a wild ride that I thoroughly enjoyed and didn’t want to finish because I wanted their story to continue.

I will proudly add this book to our classroom library, and will recommend it to all the science lovers in my class, the ones who want to believe they can make a difference. Because they can.
Profile Image for Maddie.
482 reviews11 followers
October 1, 2018
Another page turner by Katie Slivensky! (Disclaimer, I went to HS with the author but haven't really spoken to her since so I like to think I'm pretty unbiased in this review). As with her debut novel, I love that the protagonist is a girl interested in science (note: That does NOT make this a "girl" book - all kids will enjoy it). The plot is such a roller coaster - there are so many plot twists - it really keeps you reading and on your toes. As an adult reader, I was a bit incredulous but kids will really enjoy the different developments. I loved the setting (Yellowstone) and the idea behind it - a super volcano's threat to civilization. The science is a bit stretched (which Katie addresses in the author's note) and there are some terms that may be over some readers' heads but there is a glossary in the book as well. I can't wait to put this in the hands of some kids!
Profile Image for Brandi Nyborg.
217 reviews8 followers
May 15, 2018
I received this book through a giveaway. This is a book I really think middle grade readers are going to enjoy. It’s a good action packed thrill ride, filled with plenty of interesting scientific information. There were a variety of characters, but they’re fleshed out well enough that they’re easy to keep track of. I really appreciate the author having the characters act and talk like kids would. It brings a lot more believability to them. My only issue were at times it was a little too wordy and I found myself skimming to speed things along. Once the story picked up, I flew through it. Anyone interested in volcanoes, geology, or a good disaster book will enjoy this.
Profile Image for Yapha.
2,560 reviews70 followers
July 11, 2018
Wow! Talk about twists! This book is a serious rollercoaster ride! Bri is one of 4 teens picked to spend the summer in Yellowstone working with a famous scientist there. But as soon as she gets there, she finds that things are not as original described. Instead, they are going to be living and working underground in a series of caves, tunneling close to the supervolcano that lies dormant under Yellowstone. Recent seismic activity, including a devastating earthquake in Los Angeles, has lead them to believe that an eruption is imminent. It will be up to these four kids, along with three others that they meet on site, to figure out how to save the world. Highly recommended for grades 5 & up.
Profile Image for Charlotte.
2,081 reviews79 followers
April 21, 2018
These 5 kids thought they had won a contest giving them a summer in Yellowstone park. When they they get there, they find out they've been picked for a completely different reason.I
This book is well researched with all the volcanic information. It was all sorts action going on. I think it's geared towards a younger audience, probably graded 4-6. I think it was interesting with many twists and turns. The plotline was well developed. The group of characters were an interesting group of diverse, smart, 13 year old kids.
All in all, I believe this was a pretty good read.
Profile Image for Jeff.
345 reviews
May 8, 2018
I win this ARC in a Goodreads giveaway and I haven't read anything else by the author. I'd also point out that I'm not in the target demographic.

This book is a solid 3.5 with likeable heroes and villains you will dislike (at least). the science is a little shakeup but that is explained in the author's note. at times it is a little frustrating with how naive the characters are and of course, like so many books aimed at this age group, adults are the bad guys. all of this is forgivable when dealing with the target demographic.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
15 reviews
June 13, 2018
This book is about a lot of things: perseverance, hope, kids being strong, the environment, the future of the human race, etc. Some serious topics that gave me some intense introspection, even as a 30-odd-year-old lady. But mostly, this book is just FUN. I mean, really, it has a flipping supervolcano.

I’m not the core demographic here, but I still stayed up late to gobble it up like an awesome sandwich filled with charismatic kid-heroes rising to the occasion.

Keeping up my nerd-aunt role, I’ll be gifting this to my book-loving niece when I see her next. 🤓
Profile Image for Elizabeth S.
1,703 reviews71 followers
July 4, 2018
First of all, why do editors (or publishers or whoever makes these decisions) ever put glossaries at the end of a book? You finish the whole book, guessing as best you can for a few terms, and when you finally finish, voila! A glossary appears, now that it is no longer needed! Think about it and put the glossary first!

For the author, however, high accolades! Well done! Write more books!

This one is not for the faint of heart. Heart pounding intensity. And lots of cool science.
Profile Image for Christina.
Author 4 books47 followers
July 14, 2018
This book will sweep you along - the action never ends! And kids who appreciate a writer who really thinks about the details underlying her science will love anything Katie Slivensky writes.

I'm sad that there's not a companion book to follow this one (yet) because I really got attached to the characters. Their dialogue is wonderful. May I share?:

"Listen, he clearly is here to train his ferrets to fight in the apocalypse in case we fail," Kenzie replies. "He's the Ferret Whisperer. Don't question his purpose."

Ah.
Profile Image for Caro.
1,776 reviews37 followers
September 25, 2018
This was a really good book. Riveting and page-turning. I loved the cast of characters and their personalities. This was fun, humorous, suspenseful, had me sitting on the edge of my seat, sneaky, there's plenty of action, tense moments, twists and turns, and a good ending. I would definitely like to read more and see if this great group can and will do more. I'll definitely be looking for more books by this author. It pulled me in and wouldn't let me go until I reached the end of the book. It also left more wanting to read more. Totally enjoy!
Profile Image for Katie Reilley.
764 reviews27 followers
April 14, 2018
Lots of action and adventure in this story set in Yellowstone National Park as a group of kids come together to prevent a supervolcano from erupting. Full of plot twists and turns, this middle grade book is also packed with scientific information and an important message about preserving the environment.

Thanks to author Katie Slivensky for providing our #bookexpedition group an ARC for early review.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
15 reviews1 follower
February 28, 2018
I won this book in a giveaway
It was hard to get into it in the beginning but i think that is just because it has been a while that i was a teen so younger readers would like it better. i will say i love the twist and turns the story takes. i really got into it when they finally stated to work and it was good from then on.
Profile Image for Erin Cashman.
Author 2 books82 followers
June 22, 2018
The Seismic Seven is another thrilling, heart-pounding, adventure by Katie Slivensky! I loved so much about this book - the great characters, the high stakes (yikes! A supervolcanic eruption!), the twists, and especially the environmental issues that Slivensky addresses. Not only is this book highly entertaining, I learned so much - an added bonus! I highly recommend this wonderful book!
141 reviews3 followers
June 14, 2018
Great book! Thank you Goodreads Giveaway for this book. This book was filled with adventure and action. It had a great plot and lots of scientific information. Can't wait to share this book with my granddaughter.
60 reviews2 followers
June 23, 2018
Brilliant children chosen to save the world from the super volcano in Yellowstone find themselves in a battle between good and evil.
Profile Image for Lisa Lewis.
51 reviews
April 1, 2018
This book. I’m not usually a Sci-Fi fan, but this book has changed me. I love the premise of 7 kids being the only ones that can save the world. And then there are twists and turns that kept me on my toes. I forgot I was reading mglit. Much love for The Seismic Seven!
Displaying 1 - 29 of 29 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.