Start by marking “The Knight and the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Knight and the Dragon

The Knight and the Dragon

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,324 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it?s no ordinary battle since the knight has to go to the castle library to learn about dragon-fighting and the dragon must dig through his ancestor?s things to find out how to fight a knight!?Spontaneity of line and feeling are backed by zesty colors and a jovial, tongue-in ...more
Published February 2nd 1998 by Puffin Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight and the Dragon

Miriam
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture, books

What do you do when you need to fight a knight or a dragon but don't know how to go about it?

Obviously!
Evan
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Item 1: Dragon + Knight + Librarian Princess = Awesome.
Item 2: The solution to most problems in the book is more books.
Item 3: Librarian Princess is the hero.
Item 4: (view spoiler)
Item 5: Tomie dePaola's drawings are adorable.

Conclusion: One of the best picture books ever.
Megan Palasik
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I am a speech-language pathologist and I like to use wordless (or almost wordless) books with my preschoolers sometimes to practice their speech sounds in a conversational context, as well as informally assess their sentence structure and story telling skills.

I first want to say that I love Tomie dePaola's books. His illustrations have a uniqueness about them where they show the story with a couple of extra details, but not so many details that the page is overwhelming and difficult for prescho
Denis A.
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Half of the book has narrative and the other half is word-less. I might hold off introducing this one to little ones due to some of the more violent parts. That being said my three year old loves anything to do with dragons, dinosaurs, trucks, power tools, TMNT. But what draws him to the story is the cover that shows the dragon and knight. The part I found a little squeamish was the illustrated page of the knight honing all of his weapons in preparation to fight the dragon. Not anything horrible ...more
Micah Elliott
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am so sick of this book! My twin boys have been fascinated with this story for two years now. We are swimming in books here at home, but month after month this one continues to find its way to the evening "cuddle up with a book" time. The lack of words has encouraged a lot of sound effects, and there is just enough animosity between the knight and dragon to make it a little bit scary. Despite the failure at destroying each other, the two ultimately become business partners. The example is suff ...more
Dolly
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun take on the Dragon vs. Knight tale. I love that they went to the library to learn more about their quest. Our girls really enjoyed this book; we like all of Tomie dePaola's stories.

Amanda Grooms
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book, and Z loves the illustrations. I enjoy reading this to him, and he loves having it read to him. I love hearing him say "dragon" (he just makes a short, throaty growl). <3
Robert
Cute tale of a young knight and a young dragon who prepare to battle each other for no particular reason.
Brooke Milone
The Knight and the dragon read how to fight each other. They read books and learn how to battle against each other, but they fail at it because they don't know how to fight. The princess gives them each a book about cooking and barbecuing. They end up being friends in the end and hangout with each other!
Tom Ericksen
I thought that this book was cute. You don't often get stories about kind dragons, so when this ended with a collaboration I was shocked. The art is adorable, and this is another great book to read to younger kids who would liek to elaborate on the inner workings of a dragon's mind.
Dionne
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story about going against stereotypes of what you should be based on who you are as seen by others. As well as how to solve a problem together with a perceived adversary. Toddlers love this book to be read to them!
Sun Bee
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well, you can't go wrong with getting a Tomie dePaola book but this one is particularly brilliant! A really fun and clever story with beautiful and vivid illustrations. In addition, the book delivers an excellent message. A wonderful book! One of our new favorite books at home.
Paula
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I used this in summer school and the kids loved it!!
Katy
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Optional extra book for dragon themed preschool storytime. Short, not a lot of words. Good message.
Maggie Ignasiak
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very cute book probably best suited as a bedtime read. It's silly and great for children of many interests, and I can never say no to Tomie.
Nicole
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 3-to-5-year-olds
Though the concept was great, my 3 and 5 year old haven't been exposed to enough slaying-the-dragon stories to understand the irony. As I read to them, I was constantly trying to explain the joke.
Anne
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mostly wordless book. The theme? Make barbeque, not war.
Anna
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute. I liked the subtle lesson of persuing goals outside of what is expected of you. Loved the collaboration in the end - unexpected.
Kenneth
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another great story on how not to get pigeonhole. Just because you were one thing does not mean you can't become another. Also that studying and practice doesn't always help. Great illustrations.
Tory Haberman
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola is about a knight who never fought a dragon and a dragon who never fought a knight. The knight spent the day reading books on how to fight a dragon in the castle’s library while the dragon rummaged through books in his cave on how to fight a knight passed down from his ancestors. As the knight built his armor and prepared his weapons, the dragon practiced swishing his tail and looking fierce. Once they were both ready, they sent letters to one another a ...more
Tonya Nelson
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Summary: This book is heavily picture-based, but it is about a knight and a dragon. The knight reads about how to defeat a dragon, and the dragon reads how to take on a knight. They both practice and prepare for the fight against each other, but don’t have too much success. Both parties end up writing letters to the other before they battle. At the end, they join forces to work together to build a BBQ place.

Characteristics to Support Genre: This book takes place in medieval times and contains el
Stephanie
Tomie dePaola’s The Knight and the Dragon is about a timid knight and a not fierce dragon. The knight and the dragon want to fight each other but neither know how to. So the knight goes to castle’s library to learn how to fight a dragon and the dragon digs through his ancestor’s things to figure out how to fight a knight. Their fight fails miserably and they end up opening a BBQ restaurant.

The Knight and the Dragon is classified as a fantasy book for several different reasons. The setting is se
Dawn
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePola is a historical fiction meets fantasy picture book for young readers aged 4-8 years. This story is about a dragon and a knight who have never fought each other before and one day they decided to organize a fight. Both having no experience began researching the matter (Tommie, 1997).
I gave the book five stars because the use of color, themes, plot flow and characters easily captivate young readers. I recommend this text for younger children because of the
Linda
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
There is a knight who has never fought a dragon and a dragon who has never fought a knight. Both set out to learn as much as they can about their respective tasks. De Paola shows their step by step learning process with side by side illustrations comparing their results. His illustrations as always are cute and charming and the story is endearing. Pre K and K.

From Booklist:
"What happens when a sheepish knight and a not-so-fierce dragon fight for the very first time? Well, it's no ordinary battle
Nikki
Summary- This is a story of a knight and a dragon, and how they are both getting ready to battle each other for the first time. The knight prepares by reading books about dragons, building armor, and practicing jousting. The dragon gets ready for the fight by looked through his ancestors old things to find information on fighting knights, practice swishing his tail, making angry faces, and breathing fire at a target. After they have prepared they set each other letters setting a date for the fig ...more
Heidi-Marie
I'm not always a fan of dePaola's works. I really don't know why. However, I loved this. Illustrations and story both. I also liked the librarian's role. :-) Probably best as a lap-read or read-aloud, since much is conveyed in the pictures.

4/18/12 I just had to include this in my Adventures! theme storytime. I think I did all right--especially with the huge crowd--in showing what happened in many of the wordless pictures. The kids may have gotten a bit lost because they couldn't examine closely.
Meghan Hunt
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
Amy Forrester
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recently I put together a knights and princesses themed storytime and rediscovered this book. The illustrations are classic Tomie DePaola. The people are small and round and there’s nothing scary about this dragon. The first half of the book alternates between the knight and dragon. Many of the pages are divided into smaller panels (rather like a comic strip) that show how the knight and dragon are progressing in their studies. The simple text is extremely minimal, some pages are completely word ...more
Kardena
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading his book. I read it about four times over and over. I thought it was funny. I think this would be a great book to read to younger kids around the grade of second graders. It's a good book because it has some facts about the past and went had went on. I liked in the book how it talked about the prince and the dragon preparing to fight against each other. I would read this book to a group of kids. The pictures were also good, very colorful making the book more fun to read.
Brittany
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought that I knew this book, but I was delightfully surprised! With limited words, the reader is able to follow and fill in the blanks of the story. The illustrations are very comical and fun.

Activities:
- During a read aloud stop reading right before the dragon and knight fight. Ask students for predictions. You could even have them complete the story on their own, finishing the period with the actual ending from the book.
- Have this book be an introduction to using book without words. Hav
  • How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Good Night, Good Knight
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in a Medieval Dungeon!: Prisoners You'd Rather Not Meet
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • The Amazing Bone
  • Uncle Bobby's Wedding
  • The Day the Babies Crawled Away
  • If I Had a Dragon
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)