Start by marking “The Orphan's Wish (Hagenheim, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Orphan's Wish (Hagenheim, #8)

The Orphan's Wish

(Hagenheim #8)

Orphaned and alone, Aladdin travels from the streets of his Arab homeland to a strange, faraway place. Growing up in an orphanage, he meets young Lady Kirstyn, whose father who is the powerful Duke of Hagenheim. Despite the difference in their stations, Aladdin quickly becomes Kirstyn’s favorite companion, and their childhood friendship grows into a bond that time and oppo ...more
Published June 26th 2018 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Orphan's Wish, please sign up.
Abby-Rose Margarida Sparrow As the others have said, Anastasia was not a Disney film (its actually Don Bluth, the guy who did Thumbelina and Land Before Time), and is not a…moreAs the others have said, Anastasia was not a Disney film (its actually Don Bluth, the guy who did Thumbelina and Land Before Time), and is not a fairytale, but a historical figure who was (until fairly recently) shrouded in enough mystery to make her a myth of sorts. That said, your question isn't entirely without merit! People (authors, that is) who do Fairy tale retellings HAVE retold Anastasia regardless of this fact! Look at Suzanne Weyn! She wrote her retelling "The Diamond Secret" as part of the Once Upon a Time series. And I too would LOVE to see Melanie Dickerson's version because of her beautiful writing style! In fact if you don't mind, I'm going to see if there is a way on here to send this question directly to the author. In a way Anastasia would be an ideal story for Dickerson because of its Historial nonmagical backdrop! Even if she took the story "out of time" so to speak as she seems to have done with Cinderella and Aladdin, I think she could still make it work!(less)

R.F. Gammon
So I made myself finish this. I did receive it in exchange for a review, but review was not required.

I'll be quite honest--I hated this book. I'm going to try to find some good things, but we'll see. XD

POSITIVES:
+The 1400s was kind of a cool setting! I didn't feel like it was utilized as much as it could have been, but that's an era I haven't read a ton of fiction from.

+Childhood friends to lovers is a trope I enjoy, so the fact that it was present (despite the fact that I wasn't thrilled wit
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“From the streets to an orphanage in a faraway kingdom, Aladdin has grown up alone. Until he meets Kirstyn. With a father who is the duke of Hagenheim and a mother who is the patroness of the orphanage where Aladdin lives, Kirstyn is a member of the most powerful family in the land . . . and way out of his league. Despite the difference in their stations, Aladdin quickly becomes Kirstyn’s favorite companion for taking walks in the forest, and their childhood friendship grows alon
The Holy Land, 1401—
A little boy, grieving the recent death of his mother, is taken under the wing of a street lord and forced to steal in the marketplace for food. Until the day he is seen and adopted by a kindly priest, who takes him back to the faraway Holy Roman Empire.

Years pass, and the boy grows to young adulthood in the duchy of Hagenheim. They call him Aladdin now, which the book treats as a Westernization of Ala ad’din. He’s the big brother of every orphan in town, and he’s nursing a w
Victoria Goodbrand
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Book title: The Orphans Wish.
Author: Melanie Dickerson.
Series: Hagenheim book #8.
Genre: Fairy Tale retelling without magic, Medieval.
Received book from: NetGallery.
Form of Book: Ebook.
Reviewer: Victoria Goodbrand.
Date started: March 15, 2018 at precisely 2 o’clock.
Date finished:

MY REVIEW:
Y’all! I’m so excited to share this review! I’m going to be doing this revie was I read this beauty of a book! Super special thanks to Net Gallery for gifting me with the opportunity to read an advanced reade
Faith M:)
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Storyline: This book has a good plot!!! Guessable at times, but still good.
It felt like a different storyline than Aladdin... but there were some similar parts. (Aladdin’s name, wealth and trickery like the original story, etc).
I didn’t connect with the characters, but I still enjoyed them:)

Romance- There was a few kissing scenes that I didn’t enjoy, but everything was clean!!! I just don’t enjoy a lot of romance...

Violence- Murders, kidnapping, bad wounds, etc. Not graphic:) I enjoyed the a
Amber Stokes
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
As always, Melanie Dickerson is creative in her twists and new takes on fairy tales and history! The Orphan's Wish gives new life to characters like Aladdin and Abu, while adding in the beloved royal family from previous Hagenheim books (although Kirstyn's older siblings don't play much of a part, as the main focus is on Kirstyn herself).

One of the things I appreciated most about this story was Aladdin's struggle with appearing "perfect" to others. His desire manifests itself in different ways
Julie Carpenter
I love Melanie Dickerson's writing and stories. My absolute favorite of hers is The Merchant's Daughter. I've read and reread it multiple times and could continue to do so for a very long time. I was so excited to see a spin off of Aladdin as her newest book. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. It was a great story, predictable at times and clean. This is one that I would definitely highly recommend for YA and Christian fiction fans, and Melanie Dickerson fans who fall i ...more
Amy
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My blog: A Magical World Of Words

The premise is great and I had high hopes for the book. This review will also contain a lot of quotes from the book, because I think that's the best way to show why I didn't like the story.

The writing is not great. It's amateurish, and littered with cliches; examples include: "Her touch light like a butterfly's wings", "Blood surging through her veins", "His dark eyes captured her", "Aladdin's stomach tied itself into a knot", and "Her soft skin was like silk".
Th
Hannah
3.5 personal rating; would give four stars if I was the intended YA audience.

This is a great, clean book that I would hand to any teen girl without batting an eye. There are some scenes with a bit of violence, but not a bunch of gore. There is a kidnapping, so heads-up to those who might dislike that element, but otherwise there’s really nothing to warn against.

It was a really quick read for me and it was nice that it wasn’t too terribly predictable. Aladdin and Kirstyn are enjoyable characters
Maddy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I didn't plan on reading this whole book in one day but I just couldn't put it down. Oh my goodness, I loved it so much! I've had it on my shelf for months and was a little nervous to read it because of the mixed reviews I've seen, but I don't know why I doubted it. Melanie Dickerson is one of my favorite authors and her writing style is just beautiful. Aladdin is such a fun Disney movie and I'm so glad that she wrote a retelling of it. 😍
Terry Bell
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to say this book is of the same caliber as her other books...but I cannot.

This book is by far her best work to date. She has brought out the very real self doubts and fears we all have and infused them into her characters.
Melanie kept the action and adventure but also dove deep into these characters, making them as real as the person sitting next to me

What seems as unfair struggles become more clear to these characters as they come out the other side of adversity. They learn to not
Abigail
I was a little skeptical going into this book only because I read some reviews that this book was not as good as Mrs. Dickerson's other ones but I ended up LOVING it!!!!!

Melanie Dickerson has proven once again why she is my favorite author. Her books are so good and keep you reading until you have finished the book. This book was so good and gah!! I loved it so much!!!!!!!

This cover yall is to die for!! 😍😍 I love it so much!! I cannot wait to read her next book, The Warrior Maiden!!
anika
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
That was... Pretty cringey. The dialogue was horrible and there was basically no showing and all telling, but I think by the second half of the book I was able to ignore it and focus on the storyline. I can kinda see the Aladdin resemblance here, but not much of it.

Aladdin had a tiny bit of a character arc and changed a teeny bit by the end of the book but Kirstyn was flat. She says she changed after what she went through but I didn't see any actual change??

I also feel like I was supposed to fee
Megan
O my goodness, I’m so excited about this book! (flails arms in excitement and squeals!) If you didn’t already know, Melanie Dickerson (also known as the “Queen of fairy tale retellings”) has long been one of my favorite authors. I always eagerly anticipate her next release. The book I’m reviewing today is called “The Orphan’s Wish” and is an Aladdin retelling and it’s amazing! Okay, enough fan-girling.

“The Orphan’s Wish” is a fantastic Aladdin retelling! Even though it’s a fairy tale retelling,
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Another fairy tale retelling from Melanie Dickerson! For those of you who’ve been waiting for Kirstyn’s turn to fall in love, it’s finally here in The Orphan’s Wish. Strangely enough, did you know Aladdin left the Middle East as a little boy and grew up in Hagenheim? I guess it’s a whole new world for him to explore….

Kirstyn is the daughter of Duke Wilhelm and Lady Rose of Hagenheim, raised in the proverbial lap of luxury in 1400s Lower Saxony. But her closest companion is Palestinian orphan Ala
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
"But I will always be just a servant, and it will never . . . . . . . . It will never be enough."

Reluctantly, Aladdin leaves Hagenheim Castle behind along with a hefty piece of his heart; the Duke of Hagenheim's lovely daughter, Kirstyn. Orphaned at an early age, forced into stealing for a cruel master in order to keep a roof over his head, Aladdin feels the need to prove himself worthy of a future with his childhood friend. Having been rescued from his life of thievery, brought under the tutel
Loraine
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Melanie Dickerson has the wonderful ability to take the foundation of a children's fairy tale and build it in to an adult version with depth and complexity as well as great historical detail. This particular Hagenheim novel is the story of Aladdin.

Aladdin is an orphan who is picked up by a man who says he will take care of him, but Mustapha's idea of care was teaching Aladdin to steal for him. When Aladdin is caught stealing, the owner feels sorry for him and takes him under his wing. Aladdin s
Therese May
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a wonderful book!

This has been my favorite Melanie Dickerson book from among the few she’s written in the past few years. Somehow it seemed to me to have more soul to it. The retelling was well thought out and well written. The characters’ friendship and their struggles and obstacles were approached in a very literal and relatable way.

Aladdin was a wonderful character. I was impressed with how very accurate the story was to the trauma and pressure that would have affected him from his
gem
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
An easy to read fairy retelling featuring Aladdin and Abu.
What do we want from fairytales; magic, danger, swoon worthy romances, a big twist and characters to root for. This book had it all! I now want to read the others in the series.
Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
Haddie Harper
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melanie Dickerson is amazing! Her twist on one of my top favorite fairy-tales, Aladdin, is phenomenal! Granted, it was a bit slow at the start, but once I got passed the first few chapters, it picked right up. I couldn't put it down. The story is an inspiration and refreshing to read. It was just so good.
Rapunzel_Scheinberg
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joy
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I have to say from the first beginning where this book had a title, I was excited. I love Melanie Dickerson's work completely. I am a big fan of Aladdin and this retelling was a clever spin on the enchanting tale.

I love how this book is different from her others since most of them involve meeting the two characters for the first time when they are adults whil
Lilian
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: almostfavorites
This was really good! I can't wait to read more of Melanie's books. :D
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I love retellings, when they are done right. By this I do not mean they need to mimic the classic tale we all know and love. No, I simply mean they haven't changed the story so much that it isn't recognizable anymore, but they have made it uniquely their own. That is exactly what Ms. Dickerson has done here. She has taken a story I love, Aladdin, and made it something so much better. Even the clever way she added Abu's character - just a warning, Abu is NOT a monkey in this version!

What first g
Elizabeth
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Orphan’s Wish ( Hagenheim #8 )
By: Melanie Dickerson
The Orphan’s Wish is book eight in Hagenheim series. Ms. Dickerson outdid herself on The Orphan’s Wish. I believe it is one of her best. She knows how to take a fairy tale and turn it into a wonderful book. I was hooked right from the start. I did not want to put it down. I love the story and the characters. Both were well written and well developed. I found myself in tears and holding my breath several times. I felt sorry for both of the ma
Kara
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy
My goodness, have you seen this cover?!! The girl on the cover matches the girl in the story, it makes perfect sense how things turn out. Forget everything you know about Aladdin, if you're like me then that knowledge stems from the 1992 film with the late/great Robin Williams, THIS is the Christian version of the story and is exactly what it should have been like since I first heard of this incredible character. THIS is a world I want to read more about and a family I want to be part of!

Aladdin
Ashlee Clayton
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Susan Snodgrass
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Melanie Dickerson once again proved her unique ability to take a well known fairy tale, rework it and make it into a spiritual take. This go round, she takes on the story of Aladdin. We meet him as a young boy whose mother had just died and he must find a way to support himself as an orphan. He is taken in by a greedy crook who forced Aladdin to steal. Then a kind priest take a him in and shelters him and introduced Aladdin to Christ. I love fairy tales and enjoy how Dickerson puts her special s ...more
Megan
I'm going to start by saying if you read this book just because it is an Aladdin retelling, you might be disappointed. There are some similarities, but this book happens in the world and with the family the author has already created.

I'm rating this one 3.5 stars and that makes me sad because I have really been enjoying the Hagenheim series and was really looking forward to this one but... it fell a bit flat for me. I think I can pin-point three reasons: First, long periods of time passed betwe
Melanie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The Orphan's Wish, a retelling of Aladdin, was a cute read. I heard mixed reviews on it, so I didn't have high expectations for the read. I was pleasantly surprised to actually like it.

Parts of the story were unbelievable and the romance was a little blah, but I did like how the story of Aladdin was portrayed. Abu was adorable.

All in all, The Orphan's Wish was a nice read. I'm glad I read it and look forward to the next book.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the prod
Melanie Dickerson...: The Orphan's Wish 43 60 Jan 26, 2019 05:54PM
Coffee, Chapters ...: The Orphan's Wish 8 12 Jul 12, 2018 04:40PM
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • Beneath the Forsaken City (Song of Seare, #2)
  • The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)
  • A Refuge at Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides, #3)
  • Deeds of Darkness (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #10)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  • Exile (Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, #3)
  • A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
  • Sons of Blackbird Mountain (Blackbird Mountain, #1)
  • Reclaiming Shilo Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #2)
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral, #3)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • A Refuge Assured
  • Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • A Love So True (Teaville Moral Society, #2)
Melanie Dickerson is a New York Times bestselling author, a two-time Christy Award finalist, two-time Maggie Award winner, Carol Award winner, two-time winner of the Christian Retailing's Best award, and her book, The Healer's Apprentice, won the National Readers Choice Award for Best First Book. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). Mel ...more

Hagenheim (10 books)
  • The Healer's Apprentice (Hagenheim, #1)
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Hagenheim, #2)
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4)
  • The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)
  • The Golden Braid (Hagenheim, #6)
  • The Silent Songbird (Hagenheim, #7)
  • The Warrior Maiden (Hagenheim, #9)
  • The Piper's Pursuit (Hagenheim #10)
“A fresh wave of pain ripped through him and he let himself feel it more than he ever had before, until it overwhelmed him.
"God, I cannot bear this pain."
0 likes
“A fresh wave of pain ripped though him and he let himself feel it, more than he ever had before, until it overwhelmed him.
"God, I cannot bear this pain."
0 likes