Start by marking “The Way Back Home” as Want to Read:

The Way Back Home

August Cotton shouldn’t be here. When a tragic accident calls him home to Magnolia Springs, this returned Veteran adds his parents to the list of things he’s lost in recent years, right along with his IED detection dog and his left leg. As the sole guardian of his four-year-old sister, August must rely on his Marine training in raising a tiny hellion who’s as stubborn as h ...more
Published May 30th 2017 (first published May 29th 2017)

bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
2/5 stars

trigger warning: suicide (descriptive), mental illness, rape and abuse.

this is kinda a long review lol, 1k plus words of how much I did not like the representation of a so called experienced 'professional' in the mental health field and their way of 'helping' a PTSD sufferer.

This was a very highly anticipated read for me, I love a book that features a realistic interpretation of what veterans suffer with when they come home from war. And although I feel this did a pretty good job in r
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo aw_zpskevd6ipo.jpg

THE WAY BACK HOME: Is a stand alone contemporary romance novel by Carmen Jenner and is spoken in ‘Dual Perspectives’ After reading Toward the Sound of Chaos by this author I so needed to read Olivia's story, I really loved her in the first book so I was jumping for joy when I saw she was getting her own story because everyone needs a happy ending.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As soon as I started this I was drawn into the story.

Klutzy Olivia Anders was the new comer to the town of ‘Magnolia Springs’ where she was o
Malene
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The Way Back Home is a great military romance. The heroine Olivia is fantastic and is the one who carries the story. She’s experienced her own trauma, fought back and now trying do some good by helping war veterans finding their new normalcy. August is a marine veteran who struggles with his past demons and guilt. He doesn’t make it easy for Olivia.
These two has their own push and pull game going on. Olivia wanting to help and August pushing her and everyone away. Except his kid sister Bettina.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Yay ❤ Review to come ❤

Dri ✰
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
4,5 stars!!! ❤❤

Sabe quando você vai chegando nas últimas páginas de um livro e não quer que ele acabe?
Essa história me prendeu desde o comecinho e não consegui parar de ler!! A narrativa é tão gostosa que você não vê o tempo passar! A escrita da autora é muito boa e com certeza quero ler outros livros dela.
Mais uma vez dei sorte e amei o mocinho e mocinha, alias eu amei tudo, tudo mesmo!
Acho que foi o melhor livro sobre miliatares que li esse ano! <3
Puro amor!!!
Viciante, envolvente e apa
aNneMarLi - Chatterbooks Book Blog

The thing about reading Carmen Jenner's works is that you'll get addicted to it. Pretty sure in my case I was looking forward to reading more of her books the moment my Carmen Jenner's cherry was popped by Harley & Rose . There's just something in her words and style of writing that always got me. So when I learned about The Way Back Home, I could not help but be be giddy about it, and the trope? It's one of my weakness. So to say that I am excited is an understatement because I could not
~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~
The Way Back Home is not only a love story, IMO it's more. I would even go to the extent to say that the love story between August & Olivia is not the center point. It's much more and I loved it. Olivia helps military men suffering from PTSD with trained dogs. She has a successful program in her hometown but she has been asked to create something from scratch in a southern town. And that's where the problems begin. With people and their prejudices, it's not easy for " a stranger" to be accep ...more
Joan
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
First person, present tense, dual povs.

The sickeningly twee and nauseating four year old with what is supposed to be a ‘sweet’ lisp but comes which comes across as some sort of false affectation, made me wonder how this book has managed to get so many 5 star ratings!

Children with lisps DON'T talk like this:

“I like dwoggies,”

“Bwut I don’t wanna.”

“I wike this dress.” She stamps her foot and tears of indignation well up in her eyes. “And Mamma wiked it.”

“I miss Mamma’s cwookin’.”

“What hwappened t
CeCe
Sarah/DragonflyReads
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review

photo 2C1FEB38-9038-4391-8A29-240F17B40410.jpg

The Way Back Home is Carmen Jenner's latest standalone release. It doesn't connect with characters from any of her previous books. I have to mention that as an Aussie author, Carmen captured southern charm really well here! Our Alabama characters were well written and easy to love.

We're met with Olivia who is moving to a new town to expand her dog shelter. She trains dogs as service animals for PTSD veterans. She loves her job and is determined to make a difference in her new town and
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review

Where do I start with this book?

The Way Back Home is a romance story, but it is so much more than that. In fact, at times I felt that the romance took a back seat in this story, and what was happening around Olivia and August took the main stage.

August Cotton, ex Marine, a broken man.

Olivia - the woman tasked to bring him back into the world.

Throw a spanner in the works, a horrible Southern town (southern hospitality my ar$e) and what you get is a story of loss,
Monique
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
August Cotton is lost, in so many ways. He is brought back home under circumstances that only make his life harder, but he needs to be there for Bettina, his four year old sister. While Bett and Auggie are dealing with their loss, they are hit by a tornado in the shape of a woman - Olivia Anders. She has come to their parents B&B for a month to set up her Paws for Cause program in their town. The Cotton's were hoping her program would help their son through his trauma.

The thing with this co
☽ TheBibliotheque
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved Toward the Sound of Chaos, book 1 in this series of standalones. And if you know me a little bit, you know how sooner or later I gravitate towards Romance novels involving the military.

So, perhaps my expectations were a tad too high and I got a little bit too excited when I found out about this newest release by Carmen Jenner. Unfortunately, Liv's chance at love didn't live up to the expections set by its companion and previous book. And August didn't really win me over like h
Sassy Southern
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Plain and simple-I adored everything about this book. I've never read any other book that has ever done such a well job depicting the mental anguish and physical extremes wounded vets put them through. This book is absolutely one of the best military books out there, hands down.
August Cotton is left taking care of his parents bed and breakfast and his four year old sister when his parents are killed in a car accident. August is a wounded vet, who suffers from PTSD episodes, and emotionally doesn
Tia Louise
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"This is what I do in my line of work. I fix broken men." -Olivia

Sassy, funny, heartbreaking...

I do love a wounded warrior, and this is one NOT to be missed!!! Olivia has traveled to work with August, a Marine suffering from PTSD, but she doesn't know his parents have died... their very rough beginning ultimately enmeshes Olivia right in Auggie's world--and his adorable little sister Bettina's.

Olivia is a professional, but she has her own sad past motivating her to help August.

"I have no idea w
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Bailey (LifeandLoveofaBibliophile)
Everything. The Way Back Home is everything.

I have absolutely no words other than that right now to describe it. This happens every single time i finish one of Carmen Jenner's books. I sit and contemplate what I'm going to say and nothing is ever good enough. Truth is Carmen's writing style is amazing, her words swallow me whole. Each sentence page steals my breath more than the last. I live and breathe her stories. Nothing can explain that feeling.
When i first met Olivia in Toward The Sound o
Amy
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carmen Jenner

5 stars

This is a must read for your summer list. What a beautiful and amazing story rolled into a wonderful learning experience and a book everyone needs to read and learn from.

Paws For A Cause pairs broken men and women with unwanted and thrown away dogs. Good dogs that were tossed aside for no reason. (Truth -- over 3500 adoptable dogs are killed due to space in shelters daily - the majority are pit bull or bully type breeds due to the WRONGFUL stigma). Pairing m
Kristine GPI Bookblog
GOLD LIPSTICK

When I first met Olivia Anders, it was her take no sh*t attitude and resilience I adored, she was strong and feisty, determined to do her part to keep making the world a better place. There was a sense of someone who had seen and experienced far more than she had let on, and it was both endearing and inspired.

"Every day I tell myself I'm brave, I'm strong, that the past does not dictate who I am or the woman I've become. I keep hoping that one day it'll stick."

August Cotton has had
Christine
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Way Back Home by Carmen Jenner is a highly emotional, angst filled journey of two tortured souls. Carmen has this way of weaving a story and keeping you hooked from the first page to the last that is unlike any other author. The Way Back Home is a standalone but is connected to one of my favorite reads from 2016, Toward the Sound of Chaos ~ which I highly recommend reading as well.

Olivia Anders takes challenges head on and her newest challenge is setting up a shelter for dogs who she trains
Cee Cee Houston
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an emotionally charged story full of pain, heartache, loss, forgiveness, coupled with faith and hope mixed with a splash of love and laughter. August Cotton is a broken man, he’s a war vet abandoned by small hometown that he’s forced to return to in order to take care of his little sister when his parents die in a car crash.
Olivia arrives in town to open up and new office of her Paws for Cause and ends up at August’s old home which his parents turned into a B&B. They clash instantly
Nic Spears
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know when you read a book that is so beautiful and thought provoking you have to sit down for a good few hours after just to process what you've read???
Carmen has delivered that kind of book.

This a powerful story of the realistic results of war and PTSD, healing and two broken souls finding their way back home.

We are getting more and more military based books being released and some of which tackle the effects PTSD has on a soldier, but I have found none have quite gotten it so realistic u
Adriana
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adored this book

I knew that if Carmen wrote a book I would fall in love and I wasn't wrong .. This book pulled at your heart strings as well as getting you all hot and bothered loved every second of it and I adored the little family she created with all the boys and the animals.I do wish Josiah and beau and jude would get there own story , that way we can slider how these two are going lol I loved how the story developed nice and slow but intense all at the same time , so when it finally happene
Abbey's Fully Booked
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the well developed characters, the explosive chemistry to the addictive story that had me turning the pages whenever I could find a spare moment during work.

You could tell Carmen put 110% into the story and I am so glad she didn't sugarcoat anything, keeping it real and raw which done the characters the justice they deserve.
Livros A Go-Go ~Joyci ~
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Muitos temas abordados e pouco desenvolvimento.
Merecia mais cuidado para ficar melhor.
Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
This story is definitely one that brings out the emotions.

We meet August and Olivia, two people with horrific pasts that are always haunting them. Olivia is in Magnolia Springs to open a centre called Paws for Cause, a place where ex Marines can find a furry companion that can help them battle PTSD.

I just love Olivia and her sassy personality, she's one tough chick and she's not afraid to show it. She impacted so many lives in this story.

August just flat out refuses any of Olivia's help and tr
Lenore Kosinski

3.5 stars -- OK, first things first, YAY to the author for putting the potential trigger warning!  I don't actually experience triggers, but I kind of thought that this one might have potential (it does deal with the difficult subject of war, ptsd, and suicide).

OK, so wanna hear the weird thing about this one?  I LOVED so much of this book, but the one thing I was meh on?  The romance.  *rolls eyes*  Like seriously, isn't that odd?  It's kind of a romance
Renee
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Stephanie's Book Reports.

August Cotton feels like he shouldn't even be in this world. A tragic accident though calls him home to Magnolia Springs adding his parents to the list of things he has lost in recent years right along with his IED detection dog and his left leg. Now he is the sole guardian of his four year old sister. He's relying on his Marine training to raise a tiny hellion who is as stubborn as he is. The Corps tho
FMR Book Grind
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TATIA'S REVIEW
5 STARS

I already want to read it again. You know it's a great book when as soon as you read 'The End', you want to start over and read it all over again. It's that feeling of wishing you could experience a book for the first time more than once. This is one of those books. This is the kind of story that reads like a movie. The details are all there and make you feel like you're living it yourself. Based in Alabama, and that's where I live, it makes me want to search out one of thos
Michelle Trzecinski
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carmen Jenner became an instant one-click author for me since the day she tore my soul in half with Harley & Rose. (And I’m still not over that, thank you very much.)

It’s no secret that, like our female lead, I have a soft spot for veterans with PTSD. (I mean, I just moved 2,700 miles cross country for the one I’m in love with. If that doesn’t scream love- or crazy- I don’t know what does.) Reading this synopsis had me hooked on this story already.

When Olivia Anders arrives in Magnolia Spr
  • Reconstructing Jackson (Prairie Romance, #2)
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • Beneath the Scars
  • Lead Me Home (Fight for Me, #3)
  • Feel Me (O'Brien Family, #4)
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • Kellan: A Bad Boy Military MMA Romance
  • Beauty and the Sheikh (A is for Alpha, #1)
  • Cain's Salvation (Passion in Paradise: The Men of the McKinnon Sisters, #1)
  • Steel (Satan's Savages MC, #1)
  • For All the Evers
  • Reckless Point (Cross Point Village #1)
  • Love and War: Volume One (Shadows in the Dark #2)
  • The Ways We Lied
  • Police Business (The Precinct, #2)
  • Faults in Fate: A Vein Chronicles Novella
  • Rekindled
  • Deadly Chemistry (Sex, Lies, and Science Geeks, #1)
Carmen Jenner is a USA Today and international bestselling author.

A hardcore red lipstick addict and a romantic at heart, Carmen strives to give her characters the HEA they deserve, but not before ruining their lives completely first … because what’s a happily ever after without a little torture?

Sign up to my newsletter for free books, and exclusive content https://www.subscribepage.com/carmenj...
“Some of us have battle scars in places others can’t see.” 0 likes