Start by marking “The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)

The Divided Earth

(The Nameless City #3)

The Nameless City—held by the rogue Dao prince Erzi—is under siege by a coalition of Dao and Yisun forces who are determined to end the war for the Nameless City once and for all. And the people of the city—the "Named"—are caught in between.

Meanwhile, Rat and Kai must infiltrate Erzi's palace and steal back the ancient and deadly formula for napatha, the ancient weapon of
Published September 25th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Divided Earth, please sign up.
Lexi This book actually doesn't come out till September 25th but once it is released, you will be able to get it from the library or you can buy it online.

Start your review of The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
David Schaafsma
The Divided Earth concludes The Nameless City Trilogy, preceded by The Nameless City and The Stone Heart. It’s Hicks’ most ambitious and accomplished work so far, a comics meditation on violence in society and the role young people might play in shaping that process. The story is a fantasy adventure with political implications focusing on the partnership of two young people, Kai and Rat, who come from different factions in the area of Daidu, or what most people in the area call The Nameless ...more
Lata
A nice finish to a solid series. This time, they need to steal the formula for Napatha, the deadly weapon, away from Erzi.
There’s almost constant action, dire stakes for the Nameless City, scheming and double crosses, and, the best part of this three-book series: the friendship between Rat and Kaidu. It’s been great fun watching them run across roofs, enjoy meals and some pretty heavy discussions together, and collaborate in protecting the city they both love. The artwork’s great, conveying the
Rod Brown
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty solid ending to a good series, though there was an overreliance on way-to-convenient coincidences and slam-bang action. The fourth star in my rating belongs solely to Kata who shows up for the first time and practically steals the show. (Solo spin-off book needed now!)

(p.s., It doesn't take anything away, but I'm peeved that in an editorial oversight, a minor character's name changed from "Iniko" in the second volume to "Eniko" in this one.)
Nancy
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2018/09/2...

The Divided Earth is the final book of The Nameless City trilogy, and wraps the narrative up in a thrilling and satisfying conclusion!

Preceded by books The Nameless City and The Stone Heart, the story takes place in the fictional city Daidu, named by the Dao’s, the most recent conquering nation. However, due to centuries of conquest, the inhabitants of many different nationalities simply call it The Nameless City.
Agnė
3.5 out of 5

The Divided Earth is a satisfying, action-packed conclusion to a great middle grade graphic novel trilogy.

Is it just me or is the artwork a bit sketchier in this volume? Still, the action sequences are on point:

However, the story does feel a tiny bit simplistic and idealistic, especially the end of "the war." Also, as mentioned by another Goodreads reviewer, there are literally a dozen or so people fighting in the battle that would determine the future of the city.
Rachel Reid
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's so good!
Carolyn
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-books, 2019
A satisfying but rushed ending to a fun graphic novel series. I loved this setting and cast of characters. This one felt the most simple and quick of the trilogy. I'm happy with how things ended, no loose ties. But still felt like we could have drawn out the tension and conflict more for a bigger climax and more epic scale.

I do love that this series reflects on colonization, violence, imperialism, and racial/ethnic/cultural hierarchies. And largely this shows us that they can be resolved and can
Marie the Librarian
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid ending to a great series! I love the main characters and the illustrations.
Todd Glaeser
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for the free e-copy.

I really liked the first two books in this series and this is a great conclusion. I don't "know" if this is true, but I "feel" like the art is scratchier, not as polished as the previous books. But I'm not sure.

I do like how the story concludes, that violence is not inevitable.
Alex
It was fine.
I wish there had been more involvement from the city. More people fighting for change. More... well, people. There were seriously 8 people leading the attack on the Dao palace and maybe 12 soldiers fighting back. I guess I wanted it to feel like a city full of people fighting for what they believed in and wanted. And even though the story made that point, the art didn't execute it very well.
Dan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely satisfying conclusion to one of my favorite graphic novel series in the past few years.
Matthew
I do not want this graphic novel to end! I NEED TO KNOW MORE AS TO WHAT HAPPENS TO KAIDU AND RAT?! DO THEY DATE? DO THEY GET MARRIED? BTW RAT REVEALS HER NAME AT THE PERFECT MOMENT!! I, for sure will not spoil that because that is a reward for reading this graphic novel. This volume had darker undertones compare to the first two volumes and I prefer that format because war at the end of the day should not be glorified because lives are lost and oppressive regimes continue to inflict on those who ...more
Jenna
Wonderfully done and continues to explore pertinent themes of war, belonging, trauma, diversity, friendship, and just about anything else you could think of. Faith Erin Hick’s drawings matched even this darker tone perfectly. Conclusion tied up well without being overly sappy or dramatic and the while I am still curious what’s happening to our “villains” now, it isn’t a big hangup.

Is there any noise of this becoming a movie or animation? Because that would be lovely to see it gain an even wider
Kendra
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD. I will always read something by Faith Erin Hicks.
Sharon Tyler
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Divided Earth is the third (and final) book in The Nameless City series by Faith Eric Hicks. It is currently schedule for release on September 25 2018. The book begins where the second book in the trilogy, The Stone Heart, left off. Readers do need to read this series in order to understand and enjoy the story fully.

Kai and Rat might need to sacrifice everything for peace. The city is under new rule, and if they cannot stop the tragic events that are in motion the cycle of war, death, and
Angie Pinchbeck
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A great conclusion to a great series! I would definitely suggest this to any YA (and maybe a bit older!) readers who want a good story, great art, and something of substance. It was a fun read with a good message.
Tara Schaafsma
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Last book in this series. So good.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
The thrilling conclusion to the Nameless City trilogy! As Rat and Kaidu try to figure out how to get back at Erzi and Mura and subvert their plan to destroy the Yisun army with an ancient and powerful weapon, Kai's father and the monk Joah run into old friends...or possibly enemies.

I loved this MG graphic novel trilogy so much. The artwork is absolutely stunning, and the storyline is riveting and doesn't shy away from tough topics like colonialism, the cycles of war and peace, conquering
Kris Springer
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great series; wonderful art and a message about friendship and hope and trust. A very touching relationship between the 2 protagonists, developed over the course of the 3 books. I will probably go back and read all 3, right in a row, to re-experience the character development and remind myself of some of the plot twists from the 1st 2. Worth the read!
Katy
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
This series kicks serious ass!
Katie Florida
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved Rat and Kai from the beginning and I loved seeing how their story came to a close. Their character arc, the story of the city, and the story of tragedy and hope, are truly beautiful. This series was truly remarkable. ...more
Suzanne
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Divided Earth is a satisfying conclusion to the Divided Earth trilogy. Without sharing any spoilers, the storyline wraps up in a way that makes sense, and leaves everyone changed. There's a feeling of justice being served, even if not everything is perfect.
In particular, Rat contrasts with Mura so well in the final actions of the series. The pairs in this book - Kaidu and Erzi, Rat and Mura, the Dao and rival nations - each deliver a great example of how differently life can turn out when
Molly
The third volume in The Nameless City trilogy does not disappoint. Finally, Rat and Kaidu are allowed to witness a peaceful resolution between the city's conquered and its conquerors - something that rarely happens in reality, so it's very nice to see it in fiction. Faith Erin Hicks' art, as always, is sharp and delightful.

I received access to this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sara
*~*~*~*friendship is magic*~*~*~*

also: Faith Erin Hicks is in Vancouver? yay!
Kellee
A perfect continuation of the story with a look at politics and family with action and awesome characters just like the first two volumes.
Kristin
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE DIVIDED EARTH, the third and final graphic novel in The Nameless City trilogy by Faith Erin Hicks, is more mature, deeply detailed, and ultimately satisfying for readers who have been following Rat and Kaidu’s friendship and adventures.

Hicks’ attention to detail in her illustrations continues to amaze. With several major battle and fight scenes, she manages to portray motion and pain and power without gratuitous gore and violence. The settings in this third book move quickly from rooftops to
Dakota Morgan
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Nameless City series ends explosively (literally!) and maybe a bit frantically in The Divided Earth. This volume is basically all action, which can be fun, but I missed some of the quieter character moments from previous volumes. Suffice it to say, the conclusion plays out like you'd hope - few surprises (heroes are heroes, villains are villains) but it's satisfying. I'm here for a second trilogy (and third and fourth and etc).
Lara
I'm glad we finally got the final book in this series at my library (thanks, Eva!!!) as I was really wanting to see how things would wrap up for Rat and Kai and for the City itself. This series was super enjoyable, and I really loved the friendship between Rat and Kai, and just how good the characters are. I might totally read this one again someday.
Erica
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series so much!
Einas Alhamali
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AwwWWwW
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Fallen Empires (Cleopatra in Space, #5)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • The Red Maze (5 Worlds, #3)
  • Stargazing
  • The City on the Other Side
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • EndGames (NewsPrints, #2)
  • Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)
  • The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds, #2)
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • The Breakaways
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Queen of the Sea
  • The Okay Witch
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Operatic
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely ...more

The Nameless City (3 books)
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)