Start by marking “How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)

How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  28,019 Ratings  ·  3,233 Reviews
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a truly extraordinary Viking hero known throughout Vikingdom as "the Dragon Whisperer"...but it wasn't always so. Travel back to the days when the mighty warrior was just a boy, the quiet and thoughtful son of the Chief of the Hairy Hooligans. Can Hiccup capture a dragon and train it without being torn limb from limb? Join the adventure as ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How to Train Your Dragon, please sign up.

Buttons It's completely different. You can see that the basic ideas are taken from the books, but you can't really compare it. In the book the situation is a…moreIt's completely different. You can see that the basic ideas are taken from the books, but you can't really compare it. In the book the situation is a completely(!) different one and all the characters - human and dragon - differ. Nonetheless it's a great book series for children and those young at heart.(less)
Buttons I love both the movies and I really like the books. But you can hardly compare them because (next to the fact that they are completely different) the…moreI love both the movies and I really like the books. But you can hardly compare them because (next to the fact that they are completely different) the books are for children and young teens and are written accordingly, whereas the movies are family movies and fitting for every age.(less)
Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
1,020 books — 5,859 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,085 books — 2,101 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark Lawrence
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I saw the film a while back and really enjoyed it. I bought the book for my daughter Celyn's 9th birthday and read it to her (she's registered blind and couldn't watch the movie). We finished it last week in hospital. She did fall asleep a couple of times but to be fair she was recoving from a general anaesthetic.

The book is very different to the film. Both share some comical Vikings and a weedy 'hero' named Hiccup. Both contain dragons. That's about the end of the similarities. In the film the
Dana Salman

2010:

Finally, finally! I found it!

Boy, where do I start? Okay, to make things clear: I did see the movie first (it was one of Dreamworks' best ever!) but that didn't necessarily mean I had expectations for this book based on that. I did check up on it before reading it, so I was fully prepared with the knowledge that it was completely different from the movie when I started. Still, no matter how much I loved the movie, I loved this book too. The characters are likable (as story-book characters,
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
As we all know, movies often aren't much like the books they're based on, and that's incredibly true here. Now, the setting's the same: Vikings, dragons, characters and all that. However, there are a couple of major differences, based even on what I remember from the movie I saw once about three years ago. When you think of How to Train Your Dragon, I bet your first thought is something along these lines:

Certainly, I did. Awkward boy befriends adorable dragon. Cuteness abounds. Everyone learns t
Terry
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How do I rate this book? I rate it "Started reading it to my six year old but when he was too tired to continue I kept reading to myself and didn't put it down until I reached the last page."
Hippo dari Hongkong
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
review pake bahasa naga
uuuuuuuuuuuuy, akkui.. kutukkaaaaa skalle bukkkuw inni. dobleh yammihi krauk-krauk hahahihi. winglesh viking kiccil kiccil, hiccup & fishleg kambrratui. snotlout & dogsbreath brengsshik hicup, tittak rammakh, tukka hiaat-hiaat, tukka keshruppan maggabuk kambrratui shanashini, guccuh.

toothles naga kiccil, tattukka shi ikanbusshuk, inni yakkih, inni dobleh dobleh yakkih. tatukka kangkang bikkhin muwwal-pushing-prut. tukka gaga allas bokkong & flip-flop. hrrap tit
Cait (Paper Fury)
I wanted to read this book because I HAD A DRAGON SHAPED HOLE IN MY READING LIFE. Come on! Who hasn't heard of the movie?!! And there's a book? I would be a negligant bookworm if I ignored it.

Just so you know: it's nothing like the movie. Except some of the names are the same.

Nope, in the book Hiccup and the boys of his village must capture a dragon and train it in order to be initiated as warriors. Hiccup captures a very tiny insignificant looking dragon who has no teeth so he calls it Toothl
Joey Woolfardis
[First read: 3rd June, 2011. Three stars.
Second read: 8th April, 2017. One star.]

Apparently I read this in 2011 and gave it three stars. I do remember that I had read it, but had no recollection of it at all. Six years is a long time...

I will first of all say disregard the film altogether with this book. It is nothing like it, they may as well have just paid Cowell for the title and character names, which they seemingly did. However, the film did not hinder my enjoyment-or lack thereof-of thi
Ryan
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Good:
Such a fun children's book. Great setting, great ideas about dragons, and it's often funny and quite rugged.

The Bad:
Your kids might hate how different it is to the animated movies. Plus it is a children's book, so adults aren't likely to find it very deep.

'Friends' character the protagonist is most like:
Just like Ross, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a smart but reluctant protagonist, and his pet uses him without pity.
Lexie
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2016
BEHOLD MY FIENDISH YELL OF APPROVAL™!

WELL DONE DRAGON
Kristijan
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
"How to train your dragon" je jedna sasvim OK knjižica koja će na momente nasmejati svoje čitaoce. Verovatno sam prestar za nju i verovatno je animirana verzija ostavila na mene mnogo veći utisak, tako da ne mogu da dam više od tri zvezdice.
Juli
At the moment, I'm reading an intense historical fiction novel set in Italy during WWII. After awhile I need a break from such a serious subject. I came across this lovely audiobook narrated by David Tennant, and knew that was just the thing I needed to listen to! I'm glad I did! Before now, I had only seen the animated movie of this story. I had never read the book. I love the movie.....but the book is so much better!

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is the son of a chief. While that's pretty cool
Kristie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audio, childrens
Listened to the audiobook with my grandson. I thought it was really cute and he enjoyed it. It was a great opportunity to explain how movies can be very different from the books.
Lucy Banks
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this one with my sons - the eldest loved it (and immediately went to find the second in the series at the local library).

The humour in this book is outstanding, love the creation of the world of Berk, and the way the author brings to life this hostile, alarming terrain. The characters are hilarious, their names alone had my boys laughing - and the illustrations perfectly complement the plot.

Definitely a great read for kids aged from 7 upwards.
Amanda
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
David Tennant reads the audiobook. Need I say more?
Trish
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My, my.

I knew the movie and LOVED it for Toothless and his cat-like quirky appearance as well as all the great prejudices and jokes. By coincidence I then discovered the audiobook was read by none other than "Ten" aka David Tennant and HAD to try listening to it. "Try" because I usually fall asleep. ;p
I fell asleep here too (last night) so I had to backtrack and find the spot where I had stopped actively listening ... this, amongst other things, is why I don't like audiobooks too much.

The story
Nusrat Mahmood
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
মুভিটা বেশি ভাল। এটাও সুনদর কিনতু সিনেমার কাহিনী বেশি ভাল লেগেছে। সেখানে ডরাগনরা কথা বলতে পারেনা, বইয়ের টুথলেসের এত টযানটরাম! বাবারে বাবা! মাঝখানে মনে হচছিল, ভিকষা চাইনা, কুততা সামলা! দরকার নাই আমার ডরাগনের! কিনতু ছোটদের জনয দারুণ একটা বই নিঃসনদেহে। মূল বইয়ে সমভবত ছবি আছে, আমি ইপাব পড়েছি- সেটায় ছিল না। এই কষট কই রাখি! ...more
Totoro
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
cuuuuuuuute ^ ^

well, it was a cute and refreshing book after all, i wasn't quite sure it would be suitable for my age, but it went right through my heart.
Celeste
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full (mini) review now posted!

I’ve loved the movie inspired by this book for years. Longer, in fact, than I knew that the book even existed. However, I had heard that the book was far different than the movie. So when I saw the audiobook was narrated by David Tennant, my favorite Doctor from Doctor Who and the fabulous new voice of Scrooge McDuck, I took the plunge.

This was a fun story, made even more entertaining through the incredibly Scottish narration of Tennant. I love the idea of Viking vi
Dulce Espinosa
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 estrellas porque la narración (?)de David Tennant es increíbleeeee! No había disfrutado tanto un audiolibro, es gracioso y le da vida a los personajes! :')

David Tennant is the best narrator ever!!!!!!!!!!
Kaitlin
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a kids series and it's the story of Hiccup and his dragon Toothless. I'm a keen dragon-fan, and I particularly like the charm of this series for the relationship the Vikings have with their Dragon counter-parts. In this story (the first) we follow Hiccup and his other friends as they have to first find their Dragons and then train them...

I actually audio-booked this and I would thoroughly recommend the audio-book as a great way to read this (although I've also read some of these books al
Nicki Chapelway
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Normally the books are much better than the movies. That was not the case with this book. The movie is waaay better and after watching it, this book was a bit of a disappointment.
Kogiopsis
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Like many people, I got around to reading this after seeing (and becoming smitten/obsessed with) the Dreamworks movie version. Movie Toothless, and to some extent Hiccup, holds a place in my heart forever. I'm already planning to buy the DVD the day it's released. Naturally, I'm not inclined to adopt the book as devotedly as those who read it before seeing the movie and scorn the film as the scourge of the earth.

I find that whenever I watch a movie before reading a book- like, say, Stardust- I e
Daniel
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posle para depresivnih i teskih romana pravo zadovoljstvo je procitati nesto "lako" i nevino:)

Knjiga ka knjiga nije losa i kada se uzme da je za mladje narastaje sasvim dovoljno je kvalitetna ali nista posebno ne iskace. Prica je interesantna, likovi su dosta jednostavni a i zmajevi su fino opisani... par njih iz ctave gomile.

Iskreno receno ovo je jedan od redjih slucajeva di je film, ai sama serija, dosta bolja od knjige na koju se bazira.

Slobodno procitajte ako ste voleli film ali ne ocekujte
Donna
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a cute little children's book. But, reader beware, it was nothing like the movie. Hiccup, his dad and Toothless, were all very different in this book. However, it was still a fun little story in its own right. Because the plot was different, it was all new to me. I knew it would end with a big red bow because it is a children's book, but I had no idea how the characters were going to get there. So 4 stars.
Rebecca L. Snowe
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2015-reads
I had no idea that the book "How to Train Your Dragon" had come before the movie; after seeing the movie I heard about the book but I just assumed for some strange reason (Without checking into it, I know shame on me) that it had been written after the movie. Not that that has anything to do with anything but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
So yeah, the book was written first, and it was awesome! Often times I find that children's books are just as good if not better than a lot of the popu
Liviu Szoke
Denumirile personajelor sunt pur și simplu fabuloase, căci îi avem pe Sughiț Strașnicul, Terchea-Berchea, Știrbul, Porcbubos, Stoic Mătăhălosul, Haplea Râgâitorul, Piciordepește, Râtmucos, Sufludecâine, Moș Zbârcit și mulți, mulți alții. Câteva glume foarte reușite, o desfășurare a evenimentelor halucinantă și confirmarea proverbului că „unde nu-i cap, vai de picioare”, sau degeaba ești plin de mușchi, dacă n-ai pic de creier. Desenele sunt hilare, chiar dacă par făcute de un copil de clasa întâ ...more
papalbina
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
well, it was a very big shock to discover that book and movie only share names and a couple of details.

after the initial shock passed, which took me a couple of chapters, i enjoyed hiccup's first adventure, although the story is very introductory and without much depth. it was funny, anyway, and it reminded me slightly of Wickie, but with dragons, probably it's a viking thing.

the toothless in the book ended up being cute, but nothing like the one in the movie. the same about hiccup. fishlegs on
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
After reading:

Aww, I enjoyed this. A very cute and funny book. I wouldn't advise reading this with the expectation that it will be like the movie, because ... well, they're extremely different. But both are good in their own ways.

~ Full review coming soon! ~

Before reading:

Okay, so I'm reading this right now for numerous reasons. The main reason is that I'm really really obsessed with the movie––and I'm ashamed of myself for having watched it like ten times and never read the book it's based on
Deborah Pickstone
It was a cute (sort of) children's book. Hadn't really thought it was quite for so young children. Fast read, though! It grew on me, however....
James Steele
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Originally posted on JournalStone.

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III and eighteen other boys are about to be initiated into their Viking tribe. To do that, every Viking boy must steal a dragon directly from the nest and train it to hunt for him and obey basic commands. Then, on the initiation day months later, they will prove they have what it takes to be a Viking by forcing a beast as heartless and uncooperative as a dragon to obey. It’s the Viking way.

I’ve always wondered why books for young adults
  • E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core (The Guardians, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • Dragonbreath (Dragonbreath, #1)
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • The Familiars (The Familiars, #1)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)
  • Smek for President!
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Chapter Book
  • Kenny & the Dragon
  • Zombiekins
  • You Wish (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #1)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (Ricky Ricotta, #4)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more
More about Cressida Cowell...

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
“Twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death” 166 likes
“Thank you for nothing, you stupid reptile.” 116 likes