Start by marking “A Dragon of a Different Color (Heartstrikers, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Dragon of a Different Color (Heartstrikers, #4)

A Dragon of a Different Color

(Heartstrikers #4)

To save his family from his tyrannical mother, Julius had to step on a lot of tails. That doesn’t win a Nice Dragon many friends, but just when he thinks he’s starting to make progress, a new threat arrives.

Turns out, things can get worse. Heartstriker hasn’t begun to pay for its secrets, and the dragons of China are here to collect. When the Golden Emperor demands his s
Published July 28th 2017 by Aaron/Bach, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Dragon of a Different Color, please sign up.
Jummai From the author's blog: 'For those of you who love the audio edition, Vikas Adams is recording it right now and it should be available in September.'…moreFrom the author's blog: 'For those of you who love the audio edition, Vikas Adams is recording it right now and it should be available in September.'(less)

Start your review of A Dragon of a Different Color (Heartstrikers, #4)
Petrik
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy fans
Recommended to Petrik by: TS Chan
The penultimate installment in the Heartstrikers series could’ve been the best in the series so far.

A Dragon of a Different Color could’ve been 5 stars, but it was bogged down by too much info dump, which I’ll get into later. Following the same tradition as the third book, the story picked up immediately after the end of the previous book. The plotline was told within two main storylines, one in the Heartstriker Mountain surrounding Julius, Chelsie, and Qilin, while the other one is more focused
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Julius + Marci Stars Forever
description

When reading a book with various PoVs you run the risk of loving one and hating another which leaves you with this dichotomous feeling about the book you’ve just read.
I loved Julius’s PoV and meeting the Chinese Dragons. His mother Bethesda is still awful but at least he has a new ally in Fredrick. He needs another friend especially if he is being maneuvered by the ever seeing Bob. With friends like Bob who needs enemies.
He might run you over a few times to ge
TS Chan
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

The penultimate chapter of the Heartstrikers series was all kinds of awesome. Right now, I can safely say that this is my current favourite urban fantasy series. I just love the story and its characters, compounded with great worldbuilding and mythology.

With the story coming so close to its conclusion, I will not mention much about the plot except that all the various key threads from the past few books have evolved into a climax of epic proportions in this volume. As Mr Nice Dragon of
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I have a lot of love just overflowing for this series. It hasn't been the best time for me in my personal life, and this series has given me a journey that is just the perfect amount of entertaining & charming.

It's blessed me with something specific to look forward to & at this point I'm going to feel like a comfortable place is gone when I finish it. I was so wrapped up in reading Heartstrikers that I couldn't even be bothered to write my reviews in a timely fashion.

This series is all about ha
Celeste
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Full review now posted!

I can’t even express to you how much I’m enjoying this series.

You know those complaints I had about No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished? Yeah, I don’t have those now. All of my issues from the preceding book have been answered in this book. The plot points that seemed so evident to me but were flying over the characters’ heads? I get now why those things couldn’t be revealed yet. Or rather, why they couldn’t be revealed until this book. While we basically knew what happened in
Gergana
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cover artist for this series is a God/Goddess. There's no other way to explain such pure awesomeness! ...more
Kaitlin
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron, and my goodness I really enjoyed it :) I have to say that this is an Urban fantasy series I am loving right now, and as I'm now caught up I'll be eagerly awaiting the next one in the series.

This book is once more following Julius, our nice dragon who just wants to hep his family and stop dragon-kind from destroying itself. In this book we see Julius in a position of power he never wanted, but he's actually pretty good in the r
Esme
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was SO AWESOME!

The books up until this point have been fun, but this one took it to next level insane.

So, so much shit went down and it was just go-go-go the entire way, there wasn't much of any downtime for the book. I stayed up til 5am trying to finish but couldnt.... and woke up at 2pm the next day and finished before I did anything else with my time. I'm dying for the audiobook to come out so I can go through it again with the voices I'm used to, I ha
Mihir
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall rating = 4.5 stars

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: A Dragon Of A Different Color is the fourth Heartstriker book and the title is a strong indicator about the plot of the book for those who want to take a stab at guessing. The plot of this book literally starts moments after the shocking events of No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished. We see Julius who is very distraught upon learning about the shocking death that was the climax of NGDGU. He's also not entirely prepar
Mandapanda
3.5 stars. While I still love the characters and overall arc of the story this entry rambled and plodded it's way through with way too many loooong explanations of magic. Then ended on a huge cliffhanger :( ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/03/19/...

Ah, I love the Heartstrikers! I don’t know why it took me so long to read this book. Maybe it’s because I initially thought it was going to be the final installment and I just didn’t want the series to end! But A Dragon of a Different Color is in fact the penultimate volume, and I’m glad I finally got to read it. The story picks right up from the end of the previous book, so as always, the standard caveat applies for all
Bean Dalena
2.5 stars, which I rounded down because of my high expectations.

I'm not entirely sure what happened with this book. It started off great. We had Heartstriker Mountain totally empty, we had Julius trying to keep his clan together, we had Marci and Amelia supposedly dead, and we had the Chinese dragons and Algonquin simultaneously trying to take over the world. Sounds like it couldn't possibly go wrong, right?
Hey, that's what I thought.

I guess one of the most obvious mistakes was the world-buildin
Rachel
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I love this series and pre-ordered this book ages ago. The book is still pleasing as an experience, but the series is becoming long-winded, without much surprise. It remains one of the best urban fantasy reads as just fantasy and has dragons series in a while...but it could have been condensed and told in 3 excellent books instead of one great and 4 descending into mediocrity books.

I'll still buy the next one right away, but my sense of excitement is fading and there's starting to be more of th
Preeti
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The parts that were really good (the dragons) didn't quite make up for the parts that were merely tolerable (the whole spirit magic system). And boy do these characters talk and talk and talk--and not in snappy dialogue either.

Also, somehow I thought this was the last book, so the ending took me by surprise, but the author's note quickly explained there will be one more. I hope it focuses more on dragon/Heartstriker politics than anything else. And that the characters stop talking so much and d
Molly Mortensen
Still a great book but could've been shorter. I loved the first two books and was disappointed by the third. The fourth book was good but not up to the first books' awesomeness.

If/when I reread I'll skim Marcy's parts because they were way too drawn out. I love world building but something still needs to happen!

My favorites are all side characters! Bob was hardly seen at all and Chelsie needed more time since her romance is central to the plot. Fredrick was great though and (view spoiler)
Maria Dimitrova
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book ended with a series of seemingly bad events and I was so eager to find out how things will work out. But then when the release day came and I started reading ADOADC I just couldn't get into it. I struggled for quite some time with it before I finally got my head into the game somewhere around the middle of the book. After that it was a breeze! Just pooh! and I was done.

There were two storylines that I was particularly interested in - Mercy's journey to becoming the First (of the n
Blodeuedd Finland
Omg omg omg. First, omg so hard to get a hold of this one. I listened to the last one 2,5 months ago and I have been dyyyyyyying for more.

Especially since we finally understood what happened in China! And got to see Julius free the Fs and Chelsea and I was all mooooore!

And this one begins with the Golden Emperor coming and I was all omg, finally finally finally! But OMG how she was evil. Every time we were getting close to something a Marci chapter came instead. And the Marci chapters were good
Lindsay
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This deep in a plot-heavy series it's pretty much impossible to give a meaningful blurb without spoiling previous books. I will say that the implications of the cover, that Julius and Marcy are separated and have their own challenges to overcome is the heart of this book. Parallel, but intertwined plots that take the Heartsrikers and other dragons forward while Marcy deals with magic, spirits and Merlins.

These aren't small books, and if you've made it this far, you probably know what to expect a
This series is back on solid ground with three stars. The plot moved at a good pace, even with the constant switching between story lines. The continuation of the world building was interesting, and the relationship between the MCs, as fraught with separation as it was in this book, was just too sweet. This series continued to be completely clean and safe reading, which I appreciate so much. The H wasn't a manwhore at all (view spoiler), an ...more
Christa
7/30/17

It's hard to review the second to last book in a series without spoiling the series. So I'm not going to try. I love this series so so much. Go get book one right now and read it. It's my favorite urban fantasy book. And I've read a lot of urban fantasy.

The only complaint about this one is for the fourth book there was a lot of info dumping. I get that it's setting up for the grand finale. And the ending didn't break me like book three.

Favorite dark horse character - Frederick. God I lo
Dragana
Wow, what a rollercoaster. For a book that cover such a small time frame in character's lives, A Dragon of a Different Color is unputdownable.
My only regret is that Bob does not appear much. I missed his quirky behavior and his cute pigeon.

This series is so addicting, that I just clicked trough and continued reading the next part. Thank God they are all published. I don't know what would have I done, if I had to wait a year for the sequel!
Chris
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing happenned in the book. The entire book seems like less than one day of time. They just talked a lot about morality.

Not enough movement for me. There is no culmination in this book. This is just filler. Please finish the series!
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
4.5
The writing in this series is intricate and amazing. I was happy for Cheslie and Frederick and Shien etc. I’m curious to know how life changes for F Clutch, Bathesda, the Emptess and even Svena.
Mikhail
Bit too much philosophizing for my tastes, though it picks up nicely at the end. At any rate, certainly going to be reading the finale when it comes out.
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Read/finished (audio): 6 Sept 2018 (★★★★)

On app so RTC. Still VG but this book's pace slowed by intellectual bits re: magic & underlying theories, etc. Great for WB & understanding decisions made but action took a hit.

Will say that I'm freakin' glad that I didn't read this series whilst in progress b/c the cliffy/TBC endings would've pissed me off, lol. On to next book!
Timelord Iain
Less talking, more action please... Can't wait for the last book next year (altho I'll be sad to see it end). ...more
Bart
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Actual rating: 3.00
Donna
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is #4 in the Heartstrikers series and I loved it. This series has been solid 4-5 stars for me. It is so much fun. The world building is a key point for me in fantasy books. So far, the author has developed it well and it still continues to blossom as different elements are added. It is a wondrous sight to behold.

I also love the characters. They are so much fun. Each are so different that I like them all for very different reasons. There were a few new characters in this one, and I am usual
It’s official: The Heartstriker series is one of my all-time favorite urban fantasy series.

If you’re unfamiliar with the series, please do yourself a favor and start with the first book, Nice Dragons Finish Last. A Dragon of a Different Color is the fourth book in the series, and you’d be pretty confused if you started here. Also since book four picks up directly where book three left off (this entire series has taken place over the span of something like a month), spoilers for prior books are i
Tammie

I adore this series! I loved revisiting Marcy, Julius, and Bob, and of course everyone else too. That being said I do wish this had been the last book. At this point I feel like the story is starting to stretch a bit thin. It could have been wrapped up really well here.

On a side note- It t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: A Dragon of a Different Color [Sept 2017] 90 96 Dec 28, 2017 08:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN on Amazon 8 29 Oct 08, 2017 03:28PM
Goodreads Librari...: page count 2 15 Oct 08, 2017 05:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: book description 2 12 Jun 28, 2017 08:03PM

• Bloodline (Cradle, #9)
  • Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors (The Guild Codex: Warped, #1)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox, #2)
  • The House That Walked Between Worlds (Uncertain Sanctuary #1)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Dragons Don't Eat Meat (Valkyrie Bestiary #1)
  • The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension, #3)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Damned Souls and a Sangria (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #8)
  • Tangled Truths (Death Before Dragons, #3)
  • Street Cultivation 3
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Battle Bond (Death Before Dragons, #2)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
Hello, my name is Rachel Aaron, and I write the Heartstriker books, a new Urban Fantasy series about misfit dragons, starting with Nice Dragons Finish Last. I also wrote The Legend of Eli Monpress fantasy series for Orbit Books about a wizard thief and the poor bastards who have to try and stop him. PLUS I'm also the author of the new, rolicking fun Science Fiction romance Fortune's Pawn under the ...more

Heartstrikers (5 books)
  • Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers, #1)
  • One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • Last Dragon Standing (Heartstrikers, #5)

News & Interviews

“It’s one of humanity’s worst traits. Good intentions justify all kinds of terrible behavior.” Myron” 4 likes
“You don't make humanity stronger by making everyone else weak. That's not power. That's just shooting everyone in the foot because you happen to be better at limping than the other guys.” 3 likes