Start by marking “Lost Boy” as Want to Read:
Lost Boy

Lost Boy

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  5,188 Ratings  ·  1,116 Reviews
There is one version of my story that everyone knows. And then there is the truth. This is how it happened. How I went from being Peter Pan’s first—and favorite—lost boy to his greatest enemy.
Published July 4th 2017 by Titan Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boy, please sign up.
Leanda Harding-Hubbard I LOVED this book and recommend any adult read it. But personally, I wouldn't want a 13 year old child of mine to read it. It is very violent and…moreI LOVED this book and recommend any adult read it. But personally, I wouldn't want a 13 year old child of mine to read it. It is very violent and quite dark in places. Its not going to give a child nightmares, but more than anything, I wouldn't want to ruin my child's view of a great story at such a young age. We all grew up with Peter Pan being a lovable little character, and everyone loves Tink. This story leaves the reader with a completely different perception. With Hook (known as Jamie in this book) as the good, kind, caring character, and Peter the villain. (Tink is only mentioned once or twice). I'd say the book is more suitable for 16+ ... When a child is able to understand the book better as an alternative retelling of the story. After they enjoyed a few more years of the original, happy, magical, Peter Pan story.(less)
Dillon The main character has a crush on another character, but no romance.

karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best horror! what will happen?

there are so very many enthusiastic superfans of Peter Pan out there, and so very many retellings and variations of the story have been published to entice these superfans. and before we go any further, let me out myself: i am not one of them.

i don’t dislike Peter Pan, but my only exposure to the story has been through the disney-filter, and i was never really keen on any of the disney movies with people in them - give
Lola
Forget everything you know about Captain Hook.

Before he was a ruthless, heartless pirate, he was a boy named Jamie who befriended Peter Pan.

Until Peter Pan betrayed him.

Christina Henry is known for her dark retellings that surprise as much as they shock. This story is violent and unexpected, but also full of heart.

Because Jamie is a protector. It’s his love for Peter Pan that made him the cruel pirate that everyone knows. This book shows us how that happened; how Jamie discovered Peter Pan’s tr
Bookdragon Sean
Everybody has their own story to tell, and more often than not people only see things from one perspective. In the original Peter Pan Captain Hook is an angry, perhaps slightly jealous, tyrant. But why is he this way? Christina Henry weaves a terrifying narrative together in response to such a question, a response that has the potential to alter the reader's perception of the original work forever.

It certainly changed my ideas about Peter Pan. The reason for that is how strikingly well the story
Helen 2.0
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He didn't bring magic and fun and eternal youth. He brought fear and madness and death, trailing blood behind him, trailing all the corpses of all the boys behind him.
And yet it didn't weigh him to the earth at all. Every drop of spilled blood only made him lighter, gave him the freedom to fly.

Not so cute now, is he?

There are LOTS (probably far too many) Peter Pan mega freakazoid fans out there, and I'm one of them. #sorrynotsorry

I even had a crush on Peter as a kid. Damn if this book didn't c
Dan Schwent
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-books
A young man named Jamie tells the tale of the worst villain he's ever known... an impish boy named Peter.

I've long been a fan of dark retellings of classic tales, like Alice and The Child Thief. When I saw the Bibliosanctum was having a giveaway for this one, I jumped at the chance.

Lost Boy is a dark retelling of Peter Pan from the point of view of the boy who would become Captain Hook. And it's fantastic. What would an island populated by eleven year old boys really be like? It's way more like
Clau R.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, expected-more
Maybe 3.5...
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“All children grow up, or they die, or both. All children, except one.”

Before I begin, I have something I need to ask Christina Henry . . . . .

I’d say Lost Boy was highly anticipated by me, but that would be a lie because I had no clue about its existence until the Goodreads “Recommended To You” feature finally got one right and popped this up on my feed. I luuuuuuuurved Alice, but passed on Red Queen because homie don’t do series
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Christina Henry, author of the chilling Alice, which is a brilliant re-telling of Alice in Wonderland, has shifted focus to a new fairytale. In Lost Boy, readers get to experience the story of the boy-who-never-grew-up through the origin story of his arch-nemesis. And what a story it is.

"Peter will say I'm a villain, that I wronged him, that I never was his friend. But I told you already. Peter lies. This is what really happened." loc 85, ebook. Goosebumps? Yeah.

Fans of the original tale will ne
Sara Bow
Wirklich eine tolle Neuerzählung von Peter Pan. Allerdings verstehe ich überhaupt nicht wieso dieses Buch unter die Kategorie "Horror" fallen soll. Es ist zwar ein düsteres Buch, aber ich persönlich hatte keine Stelle in dieser Geschichte, in der ich Angst hatte oder vor Spannung das Buch nicht aus der Hand legen konnte. Daher Punkteabzug. Trotzdem eine tolle Story - besonders das Ende hat mir wahnsinnig gefallen!
Ellen Gail
Peter promised we would all be young and happy forever.
Peter lies.

Ellen Gail tested. Chloe approved.

In Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook, Christina Henry does what she did insanely well in Alice and brings a good deal of bloody retelling fun to a classic fairy tale. In this case, it's the tale of Peter Pan - he never wants to grow up, and he just wants all of his friends to stay young and carefree with him.

Peter's boys never grow up.

What could possibly be wrong with that?

Our main chara
"It is a fantastic lie."
I've always been the devil's advocate when it comes to villains because monsters are made, not born right? Well, when it comes to Captain Hook, Christina Henry gives us all the dark, bloody details related to how Hook's hatred and vengeance gained its shape. It's not a pretty story. Hook wasn't always the villain. In fact, according to Christina Henry's imagination, you may be shocked to learn who the true villain really was.

I love retellings and reimagined prequels
Dianne
Peter lies. Peter is a manipulator. Peter thinks only of Peter. He is not the rescuer of unwanted children. He is not a magical hero or purveyor of fun and excitement. Peter is a monster, but the boys he brings to his island are too naïve to realize, until it is too late, but the boys did have Jamie.

Jamie was one of Peter’s first boys. Jamie was the teacher, the nurturer, the voice of reason, the protector and the one whose attention Peter craved the most. Jamie knew the real Peter, the ugly sid
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a lot of fun. I am not really someone who reads a lot of fairy tale retellings but the idea of this one really appealed to me. I really don't know a whole lot about the original Peter Pan story besides what I know from Disney which was probably one of the things that made me want to pick this book up. It did start out a bit slow for me and I was able to set it aside but once I really got going, I didn't want to put it down.
Larissa (Book Bosomed Blonde)
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourites
Link to my Blog

How am i supposed to review a book that was everything i could have asked for in a retelling from Hook’s perspective? It was brutal, bloody, and scary at times but my god was it brilliant! Definitely a five star read for me because it took my favourite book in the world and gave it a new life!

Christina Henry is a phenomenal writer. She took an old classic that most of us have read as children and she played off the more sinister bits we get from the original to make this wonderful
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Lord of the Flies meets Lord of the Lost Boys; you really aren't going to like Peter Pan any more.

Taking oh so familiar story and making you rethink the logic of it from a grown-up perspective is a common trope but this one was so clear, so painfully true-to-life and logical that you wonder how you'd never seen it before.

As a child I used to do all those ridiculously fearless things that children do. I leaped before I looked and it all turned out fine. And as a child I could think of n
destiny ☠ howling libraries
First of all, this book upset me in a way that most books are never capable of doing. I know a lot of reviewers who will immediately up their rating for a book if it hits them hard, because they consider it a sign of a talented author, and while I can understand that point of view, I don't agree with it for my own reviews. I DNF'd this at 60% but my general rule of thumb is that panning a book at 30%-onward warrants a review.

WHAT I LIKED ➳➳
Lost Boy has an interesting premise (the origins story o
Vivian
"Peter's idea of fun was considerably more savage than his."

This was a quick read. The first portion of the story reminded me a great deal of Lord of the Flies, albeit more gory and less allegory. The innocence of PETER PAN is twisted into something very dark, here. I don't want to ruin the fun of it, so I'm not going to expand further on the storyline other than to say it does an very interesting job exploring some previously untold backstory.

"They weren't forever young, unless dying when y
Denise Bücherwunderland
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
... Also in dieser Version muss man Peter Pan einfach hassen 😱... Und Jamie lieben 😙

Christina Henry hat mit "Lost Boy" ein weiteres düsteres und verdrehtes Retelling geschrieben.
Hier geht es um die Geschichte von Jamie, der vor langer Zeit von Peter Pan nach Neverland gebracht wurde. Nur ist Peter Pan hier nicht der nette Junge, den wir aus dem originalen Buch, dem Disney Film oder den zahlreichen anderen Verfilmungen kennen. Nein... Er spielt gerne Spiele wie "Battle" und kämpft gerne gegen di
Quirkyreader
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Penguin for the ARC of the latest chapter of the Peter Pan mythos.

I have previously read biographies of J.M. Barrie, so I had some idea of what I was getting into. As I have mentioned on other platforms, this is not the Disney version of the story. If you want to keep and cherish that version run far away from this story. It will change everything you love about the character.

For those of you who wish to continue it is a well written story that continues ideas that one might have come
Taylor
Updated Post with Complete Review:

3.5 out of 5 Stars.

"Come away and we'll have adventures and be friends always."

It's safe to assume (if you're anything like me) that a part of your youth was spent devoted to Peter Pan. A time where you were certain that if your thoughts were happy enough and if your window remained unlocked that he might just appear to whisk you off to Neverland.

The Peter who filled our dreams was a fearless leader who taught us how to crow and how to believe in faeries. H
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/07/16/...

UPDATED:US giveaway of LOST BOY 7/16/17 - 7/23/17 https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/07/16/...

Each year seems to bring its crop of Peter Pan retellings, and 2017 is no exception. We’ve gotten to the point where even the versions told from Captain Hook’s point-of-view, where “Hook is good/Peter is evil” are nothing to bat an eye at. And yet, I still find myself unable to ever resist these, always searching for the one which wil
lottie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, fantasy, pan, ya
5 stars for EPICLY COOL BACKSTORY, DARK PAN, and MY GUY JAMES HOOK, 3 stars for THE MOST UNNECESSARY AND SHOEHORNED HETEROSEXUAL ROMANCE OF ALL TIME, averages out at a solid 4
Jo (An Unexpected Bookish Geek)
I willed myself to love this, I really did, but, it just didn't work for me, not in the slightest. Being a fan of Peter Pan and fairy tale retellings, I truly believed that I was in for a treat here. I have read Christina Henry's two retellings of Alice in Wonderland, and I rather enjoyed these.
But this story, was just mentally draining. I literally felt like I had to force myself to read it, which definitely is a warning sign for me.
From the very beginning, the story just consisted of violence
Diana
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3'5-4*

Vid review will be live from August, 2nd here: https://youtu.be/u5Fn6s_K1-k
La video reseña estará disponible desde el 2 de Agosto, aquí: https://youtu.be/u5Fn6s_K1-k
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

Quite interesting retelling of a classic story, but not my cup of tea. A lot of violence, a lot of little boys. It's like The Maze Runner + Lord of the Flies + Peter Pen. However, I did love the ending.
Jennymort ♔ The Dark Lord ♔ House of Slytheread ♔ Sailor Jupiter ♔ Siren
So, I saw this on my feed and zoomed in on it like some kind of fucking homing beacon.
description

Peter Pan wasn't my go to movie while being a kid and surrounded by every freaking Disney movie you just HAD TO HAVE!
description

But I digress. I still want this anyways as it seems as dark as my soul and not filled with fluffy romance shit like the rest of them are. *Le-fucking-sigh*

I was just lazily scrolling along down my news feed when I see a review from Miss Karen, whom I feel has read every book in the world and th
Jen
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Peter Pan is not a boy of dreams but one of nightmares.

Beneath the seemingly sweet and carefree attitude hides a malicious and conniving center that will stop at nothing, not even death, to make sure he is having the ultimate adventure.

The Lost Boys are less of the fun and playful ragamuffins that we grew up watching in the Disney movie and more like the answer to "What would happen if Lord of the Flies was a fantasy realism black comedy novel... for c
Carmen
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My whole World is tumbling down. I don't know if I will ever come to terms with this new version of Peter. I spent my childhood daydreaming of Peter coming to visit, discovering Neverland and thinking how funny it would be to spend sometime there. This book comes across like a slap in the face: wakey wakey Carmen!!
So charming Peter becomes Peter the trickster and the childhood dream becomes a nightmare, something between Lord of the flies and Stranger things' Upside Down.
I guess that when you ar
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Superbly dark and haunting, but I’m not sure I can round up to five stars.
That being said, I read this whole book in less than six hours, so it was definitely captivating.
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the CHRONICLES OF ALICE duology, ALICE and RED QUEEN, a dark and twisted take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as well as LOST BOY: THE TRUE STORY OF CAPTAIN HOOK, an origin story of Captain Hook from Peter Pan.

She is also the author of the national bestselling BLACK WINGS series (BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and B
More about Christina Henry

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Was this, I wondered, what it felt like to be a grown-up? Did you always feel the weight of things on you, your cares pressing you down like a burden you could never shake? No wonder Peter could fly. He had no worries to weight him to the earth.” 21 likes
“It’s not such a wonderful thing, to be young,” I said. “It’s heartless, and selfish.”

“But, oh, so free,” Nod said sadly. “So free when you have no worries or cares.”
11 likes