Start by marking “Lost Boy” as Want to Read:
Lost Boy

Lost Boy

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  11,322 ratings  ·  2,141 reviews
There is one version of my story that everyone knows. And then there is the truth. This is how it happened. How I went from being Peter Pan’s first—and favorite—lost boy to his greatest enemy.

Peter brought me to his island because there were no rules and no grownups to make us mind. He brought boys from the Other Place to join in the fun, but Peter's idea of fun is sharper
Published July 4th 2017 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boy, please sign up.
Zaiyah I'm under 13 years old and I just finished this book. I didn't find it incredibly violent but I guess it depends on the person and the family. I was r…moreI'm under 13 years old and I just finished this book. I didn't find it incredibly violent but I guess it depends on the person and the family. I was raised with that in my life so I'm not as bothered by the violence so much. If you're still worried however I recommend reading it first and then seeing if you think she'll be able to handle it.(less)
Dillon The main character has a crush on another character, but no romance.

·  11,322 ratings  ·  2,141 reviews

Start your review of Lost Boy
jessica
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
okay wow. i have no idea whats happened because everything i know about the story of peter pan now feels like a massive lie. i feel like im in some sort of shock. as far as i am now concerned, this reimagining is the only true version of events.

i think ive always romanticised peter and his lost boys; but when i read the original story last year, i found peter to be quite childish. that was my first turning point. and now this cruel and violent tale has only confirmed what i feared - that peter i
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best horror! what will happen?

there are so very many enthusiastic superfans of Peter Pan out there, and so very many retellings and variations of the story have been published to entice these superfans. and before we go any further, let me out myself: i am not one of them.

i don’t dislike Peter Pan, but my only exposure to the story has been through the disney-filter, and i was never really keen on any of the disney movies with people in them - give
Cristina Monica
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, retellings, survival
Forget everything you know about Captain Hook.

Before he was a ruthless, heartless pirate, he was a boy named Jamie who befriended Peter Pan.

Until Peter Pan betrayed him.

Christina Henry is known for her dark retellings that surprise as much as they shock. This story is violent and unexpected, but also full of heart.

Because Jamie is a protector. It’s his love for Peter Pan that made him the cruel pirate that everyone knows. This book shows us how that happened; how Jamie discovered Peter Pan’s tr
megs_bookrack
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Question: Who is the most intriguing character in Peter Pan?

The Only Correct Answer: Captain Hook.

Incorrect Answer:: Anyone else.

By far the most compelling character is Hook and Lost Boy brings him to you as you have never seen him before!

In fact, this is the origin story of one of the world's most underrated villains, expertly-crafted by the mind of Christina Henry.

Y'all, Ms. Henry has a dark and wildly creative imagination and we stan!

This story follows our infamous Captain before he is known
Sean Barrs
Everybody has their own story to tell, and more often than not people only see things from one perspective. In the original Peter Pan Captain Hook is an angry, perhaps slightly jealous, tyrant. But why is he this way? Christina Henry weaves a terrifying narrative together in response to such a question, a response that has the potential to alter the reader's perception of the original work forever.

It certainly changed my ideas about Peter Pan. The reason for that is how strikingly well the story
Charlotte May
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Once you come here you can never leave. Nobody leaves. Nobody goes home. This is home now."

What a brutal retelling!

This is the story of Peter Pan and Captain Hook. But not as you know them.

Jamie and Peter have been best friends for as long as he can remember. He is Peter's favourite, his first, the most special one out of all the boys. Jamie has lived with Peter for years, and in all that time hasn't changed even slightly - Peter says they will never grow up.
Every once in a while, Peter go
Helen 2.0
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He didn't bring magic and fun and eternal youth. He brought fear and madness and death, trailing blood behind him, trailing all the corpses of all the boys behind him.
And yet it didn't weigh him to the earth at all. Every drop of spilled blood only made him lighter, gave him the freedom to fly.

Not so cute now, is he?

There are LOTS (probably far too many) Peter Pan mega freakazoid fans out there, and I'm one of them. #sorrynotsorry

I even had a crush on Peter as a kid. Damn if this book didn't
Dan Schwent
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books, 2017
A young man named Jamie tells the tale of the worst villain he's ever known... an impish boy named Peter.

I've long been a fan of dark retellings of classic tales, like Alice and The Child Thief. When I saw the Bibliosanctum was having a giveaway for this one, I jumped at the chance.

Lost Boy is a dark retelling of Peter Pan from the point of view of the boy who would become Captain Hook. And it's fantastic. What would an island populated by eleven year old boys really be like? It's way more like
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“All children grow up, or they die, or both. All children, except one.”

Before I begin, I have something I need to ask Christina Henry . . . . .

I’d say Lost Boy was highly anticipated by me, but that would be a lie because I had no clue about its existence until the Goodreads “Recommended To You” feature finally got one right and popped this up on my feed. I luuuuuuuurved Alice, but passed on Red Queen because homie don’t do s
Heidi The Reader
Christina Henry, author of the chilling Alice, which is a brilliant re-telling of Alice in Wonderland, has shifted focus to a new fairytale. In Lost Boy, readers get to experience the story of the boy-who-never-grew-up through the origin story of his arch-nemesis. And what a story it is.

"Peter will say I'm a villain, that I wronged him, that I never was his friend. But I told you already. Peter lies. This is what really happened." loc 85, ebook. Goosebumps? Yeah.

Fans of the original tale will ne
Ellen Gail
Peter promised we would all be young and happy forever.
Peter lies.

Ellen Gail tested. Chloe approved.

In Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook, Christina Henry does what she did insanely well in Alice and brings a good deal of bloody retelling fun to a classic fairy tale. In this case, it's the tale of Peter Pan - he never wants to grow up, and he just wants all of his friends to stay young and carefree with him.

Peter's boys never grow up.

What could possibly be wrong with that?

Our main cha
"It is a fantastic lie."
I've always been the devil's advocate when it comes to villains because monsters are made, not born right? Well, when it comes to Captain Hook, Christina Henry gives us all the dark, bloody details related to how Hook's hatred and vengeance gained its shape. It's not a pretty story. Hook wasn't always the villain. In fact, according to Christina Henry's imagination, you may be shocked to learn who the true villain really was.

I love retellings and reimagined
Michelle
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retelling
I've never read J.M. Barrie’s “Peter Pan”, so my knowledge of Peter Pan is mostly derived from the Disney adaptation. I love that Peter! He is spirited, whimsical, and carefree. Then along comes a story so fascinating and cleverly told, that it forces you to rethink the entire storyline you grew up with…“Lost Boy” does just that.

We are so use to thinking that Captain Hook is the villain, and villains are always bad. But we’re not born bad, are we? Everybody thinks they are doing the right thing
Dianne
Peter lies. Peter is a manipulator. Peter thinks only of Peter. He is not the rescuer of unwanted children. He is not a magical hero or purveyor of fun and excitement. Peter is a monster, but the boys he brings to his island are too naïve to realize, until it is too late, but the boys did have Jamie.

Jamie was one of Peter’s first boys. Jamie was the teacher, the nurturer, the voice of reason, the protector and the one whose attention Peter craved the most. Jamie knew the real Peter, the ugly sid
Carrie
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes folks, I am yet again reading another Peter Pan retelling. Lost Boy by Christina Henry is another young adult fantasy retelling of Peter Pan that flips the script and shows a much darker side of the Peter Pan that we all knew from the original.

This story starts at a much earlier time than the original back when “Jamie” was Peter’s best friend and second in charge of the boys Peter brought back to the island. Peter of course offered the boys a place where they would be young forever and the f
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a lot of fun. I am not really someone who reads a lot of fairy tale retellings but the idea of this one really appealed to me. I really don't know a whole lot about the original Peter Pan story besides what I know from Disney which was probably one of the things that made me want to pick this book up. It did start out a bit slow for me and I was able to set it aside but once I really got going, I didn't want to put it down.
Kate
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5/5stars
January, 2020:

Reread this for my Master's project on adaptation and peter pan and I just absolutely adore this book and honestly rereading it after deep-diving so completely into Barrie and Peter Pan and everything surrounding it, it's an even more amazing adaptation! Love this book so much!

2017:
edit 7/8/17; I just got my physical edition in the mail and I legit got sO FUCKING EXCITED AND FOND AND LOVING that I just sort of knew I needed to bump this up to the full 5 stars.

OH MY LORD
Vivian
"Peter's idea of fun was considerably more savage than his."

This was a quick read. The first portion of the story reminded me a great deal of Lord of the Flies, albeit more gory and less allegory. The innocence of PETER PAN is twisted into something very dark, here. I don't want to ruin the fun of it, so I'm not going to expand further on the storyline other than to say it does an very interesting job exploring some previously untold backstory.

"They weren't forever young, unless dying wh
Larissa (Book Bosomed Blonde)
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Link to my Blog

How am i supposed to review a book that was everything i could have asked for in a retelling from Hook’s perspective? It was brutal, bloody, and scary at times but my god was it brilliant! Definitely a five star read for me because it took my favourite book in the world and gave it a new life!

Christina Henry is a phenomenal writer. She took an old classic that most of us have read as children and she played off the more sinister bits we get from the original to make this wonderful
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Lord of the Flies meets Lord of the Lost Boys; you really aren't going to like Peter Pan any more.

Taking oh so familiar story and making you rethink the logic of it from a grown-up perspective is a common trope but this one was so clear, so painfully true-to-life and logical that you wonder how you'd never seen it before.

As a child I used to do all those ridiculously fearless things that children do. I leaped before I looked and it all turned out fine. And as a child I could think of n
Faye*
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was so brutal but also surprisingly good. I was invested in Jamie's and Peter's story from the start, so much so that this book may have pulled me out of my reading slump. Yay, let's hope this actually happened!
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
Christina Henry traumatized me forever with her dark retelling of Alice in Wonderland. I give her my blessing to do it again with a dark retelling of Peter Pan.
Taylor
Updated Post with Complete Review:

3.5 out of 5 Stars.

"Come away and we'll have adventures and be friends always."

It's safe to assume (if you're anything like me) that a part of your youth was spent devoted to Peter Pan. A time where you were certain that if your thoughts were happy enough and if your window remained unlocked that he might just appear to whisk you off to Neverland.

The Peter who filled our dreams was a fearless leader who taught us how to crow and how to believe in faerie
Quirkyreader
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Penguin for the ARC of the latest chapter of the Peter Pan mythos.

I have previously read biographies of J.M. Barrie, so I had some idea of what I was getting into. As I have mentioned on other platforms, this is not the Disney version of the story. If you want to keep and cherish that version run far away from this story. It will change everything you love about the character.

For those of you who wish to continue it is a well written story that continues ideas that one might have come
Candace Robinson
Peter Pan has always been quite the iffy story for me. He always struck me as a creepy kind of character. A super old boy stuck in a young boy's body, dragging young children to an island. Super odd. So therefore, I was always intrigued by Captain Hook! And this was truly his story!

Jamie was relatable, completely relatable, even though he had done heinous things over the years. Yet, it was all because of Peter's urge to "play." I loved Jamie because he was like a daddy hen to a lot of the boys,
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As you can tell by the title, this is obviously a Peter Pan retelling. It takes the original classic and makes it so much darker and full of death, lies and deception. And I fricking loved it!

I met Christina Henry a couple of days ago and hearing her talk so passionately about this book and her other works made me pick it up the second I left the signing. I immediately devoured it and I can't wait to pick up every single book she has written.

Jamie was a perfect protagonist and is just so full of
Chloe
Feb 13, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF: Did not finish.

Temporary or permanent: Permanent

Reason I didn't finish: I wasn't engaged with the way this was written and I didn't really care for where the story was going. I hear nothing but good things about this author, but I'm not so sure if her retellings are for me. I'm incredibly picky about retellings as it is.
lottie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, society, fantasy, ya, pan
5 stars for EPICLY COOL BACKSTORY, DARK PAN, and MY GUY JAMES HOOK, 3 stars for THE MOST UNNECESSARY AND SHOEHORNED HETEROSEXUAL ROMANCE OF ALL TIME, averages out at a solid 4
Cori
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytale-mood
Ouch. My soul. My childhood is effectively ruined.

I grew up in a household with four younger brothers, so my Disney classics were Robin Hood, Jungle Book, and Peter Pan. I adore Peter Pan. I wanted to go to Never Land. We make-believed Never Land scenarios growing up, and I adored the fantasy subgenre that surrounds this world. I've read twisted versions of Peter Pan before (Once Upon A Time also popularized this idea) but none of them did this. Christina Henry writes with a flair of horror mee
Abbie | ab_reads
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you @titanbooks for gifting me a copy of Lost Boy to review! I’ve heard so many good things about Christina Henry’s dark fairytale retellings on bookstagram and I’m happy to say that, while this one didn’t become a new favourite, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
This book will challenge your notion of who Peter Pan is. It will make you consider the difference between being carefree and careless, and what it means to be a perpetual child - never growing up, never shouldering any responsibility, nev
You'll love this ...: Clement, Mikayla, Carla: The fantasy triplets 24 34 Mar 01, 2018 02:11PM
All About Fantasy!: Lost Boy 8 16 Sep 15, 2017 10:46PM

• The Child Thief
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales
  • Wilder Girls
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Flügel aus Feuer und Finsternis (Ashes and Souls, #2)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • Horrorstör
  • Monsters and Mythical Creatures from Around the World
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Back to You: An Erotic Second Chance Romance (You, #1)
  • Tiger Lily
  • Never Never
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the CHRONICLES OF ALICE duology, ALICE and RED QUEEN, a dark and twisted take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as well as LOST BOY: THE TRUE STORY OF CAPTAIN HOOK, an origin story of Captain Hook from Peter Pan.

She is also the author of the national bestselling BLACK WINGS series (BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and B

Articles featuring this book

If you want a real scare, set aside your beloved horror classics—you know what darkness lurks within their pages, what chil...
“Was this, I wondered, what it felt like to be a grown-up? Did you always feel the weight of things on you, your cares pressing you down like a burden you could never shake? No wonder Peter could fly. He had no worries to weight him to the earth.” 44 likes
“It’s not such a wonderful thing, to be young,” I said. “It’s heartless, and selfish.”

“But, oh, so free,” Nod said sadly. “So free when you have no worries or cares.”
22 likes