Jump to ratings and reviews

The Ego Trip

Lori Cooper is The Love Doctor, a TV psychologist whose star is on the rise. Ten years ago, her detective father was murdered by the mob. When she learns he might not be dead after all, she follows clues that lead her to the coast of Maine.

Acting Sheriff Beau LaCombe isn’t a political animal. But after an inept and possibly crooked cop announces his candidacy for sheriff, Beau must throw his own cap in the ring. To win, he needs a high-profile arrest to overcome his opponent’s well-funded campaign.

From their first meeting, they're on a collision course that pits romance against duty.

Which one will prevail?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The Ego Trip is a contemporary romantic suspense novel set on an island off Maine's central coast. It's a "sensual romance" with sexual situations between the characters, but very few graphic descriptions. The book contains a limited amount of profanity, in keeping with the plot (a law enforcement hero and a handful of hardened criminals).

Fans of Brenda Novak or Robyn Carr might enjoy the King's Harbor Series.

285 pages, Kindle Edition

Published May 23, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Madeline Olson

3 books4 followers
I can’t remember a time when stories weren’t filling my head. This probably explains why my desk was often in the front of the classroom, even though I was typically the tallest kid.

While most of my career was spent as a corporate communications consultant, the jobs I didn’t hold as long provide the seeds for my fertile imagination. I've been a bartender, cocktail waitress, FM disc jockey, talent agent, door-to-door magazine salesperson (this lasted an entire day), TV and radio news reporter, and government analyst. Most of these jobs actually provided a paycheck.

One of my favorite summers was spent waitressing at a resort on Mount Desert Island, Maine, where fictional King’s Harbor is located. The island, with its beautiful Acadia National Park, holds a special place in my heart, and I encourage you to visit and make your own memories there!

I've travelled to nine countries, four Canadian provinces, and every state in the USA but Mississippi (although I plan to rectify that soon). I've been fortunate to raise two amazing children, and currently live with two dogs and an assortment of woodland creatures in a paradise off the coast of Washington state.

My daydreams have always featured smart and resilient women and the strong and noble men who are worthy of them. I believe each of us deserves a happily-ever-after, even if it’s just between the pages of a book.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
Profile Image for Ellen Behrens.
Author 10 books15 followers
April 25, 2020
I can probably count the number of romance novels I've read on the fingers of one hand... I'm just not a big fan of the usually contrived obstacles that thwart true love, the plucky heroines whose knees buckle at the mere glimpse of the dashing hero... but I picked up Madeline Olson's "The Ego Trip" because its setting is Maine's Mount Desert Island, one of my favorite places on the East Coast.

It's been years since climbing the Beehive at Acadia National Park, gobbling all the blueberry pie I could get at a special spot on the Quiet Side of the island, or sitting on the side of the main street in Bar Harbor to watch license plates from nearly every state in the country drive by (or, memorably, spying on a yacht in the harbor for a glimpse of Mel Gibson, whose yacht it was rumored to be... and no, I had no luck). This book, obviously, brought all those great memories back.

And more.

Olson gives the main characters, Lori Keller and Beau La Combe, completely believable motives for being pulled toward and resisting each other without the manipulation of plot points to create a false tension. Her characters drive the story rather than the other way around, and that makes all the difference in why I enjoyed this book so much more than others in the genre.

Enough questions drive these characters along their paths to drive the tension -- and attraction -- between them. And those questions drive the reader past the basic question of whether the couple will ever get together and stay together.

The dynamic Olson created between these characters, in this stunning setting, drove me through the book all the way to the end. The best news is this is the first of a series, with more romantic tension to come.
1,575 reviews10 followers
February 7, 2019
Lorelei Keller’s (aka Lori Cooper “The Love Doctor”) plans have changed and instead of vacationing with friends she visits her grandmother at her assisted living home. On this day her grandmother, who is suffering the effects of dementia, is having a good day. Lori’s father was a police officer killed in the line of duty, but during her visit she is told, by the receptionist, that her father had recently visited. Who is the man who came to see her grandmother? Lori checks the guest register and realizes that either her father is alive and indeed visited or someone is playing a cruel hoax on her grandmother. Now that she has the time away from work, Lori decides to investigate. Clues will lead her to Kings Harbor and to Acting Sheriff Beau LaCombe. He is a natural born protector, but Lori doesn’t know if she can trust him. If her father is alive, could he be involved in a cold case that Beau is investigating? Lori finds herself in danger…will Beau be able to keep her safe? Will she find out whether her father is alive? If he is alive, why has he hidden from her for the past ten years? I enjoyed the interaction between Beau and his extended family as he tries to take care of everyone while he campaigns for Sheriff. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation from the author. (by paytonpuppy)
Profile Image for Kelly  DeMarco.
1,517 reviews3 followers
September 22, 2019
Small town hot Sheriff, a mystery and steamy chemistry make a great story

The Ego Trip (King’s Harbor Book 1) by Madeline Olsen is a very well written book with sexy tension, undeniable chemistry, suspense and tons of feels for this small town, big family setting.
Beau, is an absolute alpha that is so swoon-worthy with his need to protect and shelter his sisters and their children. He’s a big guy with a really big heart and wary of getting it stomped on. His number is up when he meets Lori. She may be on a secret quest, but her heart has more plans than her brain.
I loved these two characters together and all the other characters that surrounded them throughout this book. As the first book of a series, this author has set up what I hope to be a long-lasting series! Beau has tons of nephews and nieces, not to mention both of them have very single friends.
Overall, I loved Lori and Beau’s story, the action, suspense and especially of course, the HEA.
1,435 reviews1 follower
April 8, 2020
The Ego Trip

Loved this story of love and intrigue. The story starts with a Dr and her radio show/tv show on how she could help people solve their problems. This was very interesting when the Dr. Sees a picture of her Father who was supposed to be dead. She tried to find him only to get herself into trouble with no rescue in sight. This was a free book and this is my review and mine alone. Norma Gorrill
Profile Image for Patricia Baxes.
2,298 reviews10 followers
February 11, 2019
This was really a great little read. Good storyline; interesting characters; some unexpected twists and turns; and a really sweet HEA. It took me a little bit to get into the story; but once I did—it was great. I have a feeling this series is going to be a winner! (I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book and enjoyed it.) ❤️
2 reviews
January 1, 2023
suspense -romance -flawed but redeemable characters +ITS A SERIES!

This checked all my boxes for romantic escape. Moves fast, or rather, I couldn’t put it down! So many good characters in this , I was happy to learn it is a series.
I recommend this author to all romance readers.
I am definitely reading the next book in this series.
1,738 reviews14 followers
February 6, 2019
I really enjoyed this book.

This is a suspenseful, sexy, tragically triumphant tale with plenty of drama, heart, heat, danger and mystery with a happy ever after

A great read.

I received a free copy of this book via Hidden Gems and am voluntarily leaving a review.

Profile Image for Tonya Peterson.
1,080 reviews3 followers
October 5, 2019
Hidden secrets

This book was awesome a man that helping his whole family and trying to keep his community safe. When a attending sheriff and a women crosses paths their is instant attraction but they both have secrets and a puzzle to solve.
Profile Image for Joanne.
10 reviews2 followers
June 13, 2017
This is the first book in a series by a new author. The mystery/romance is set on Mt. Desert Island, Maine. Although it was set in the winter, it was a good summertime read.
Profile Image for Pat .
18.3k reviews3 followers
February 14, 2019
The storyline was well written and the characters were written with great detail which kept me totally glued to my kindle until the very last page was turned!
Profile Image for Karen Loomis.
268 reviews11 followers
February 23, 2019
I really enjoyed this read, but was a bit disappointed in the wrap up of the story. Overall, it was a good read and I will definitely read more by this author.
Profile Image for Jansen Schmidt.
Author 4 books16 followers
April 8, 2020
This was a wonderful quick read. The author brought the setting to life with her real-life experiences and use of local jargon.
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.