Start by marking “Second Best Friend” as Want to Read:
Second Best Friend

Second Best Friend

Jade and Becky are best friends, but when Jade’s ex-boyfriend lets on that everyone thinks Becky is the better of the two, Jade finds herself noticing just how often she comes second to her best friend. There’s nothing Jade is better at than Becky.

So when Jade is voted in as Party Leader ahead of her school’s General Election only to find herself standing against Becky, J
Published January 15th 2018 by Barrington Stoke

To ask other readers questions about Second Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Best Friend

Start your review of Second Best Friend
Alice (Married To Books)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I won a signed copy of this book in a Twitter giveaway so a massive thanks to the publishers Barrington Stoke for picking me as one of the winners! This book is on the publishing line for reluctant readers or readers who are dyslexic.

Disclaimer- I personally am not dyslexic however, I am on the bloggers mailing list for this publisher and am very happy to review all of the YA books that they publish!

This is the first book I've read by Non Pratt and it certainly won't be my last. It follows two
Maddie
Jul 20, 2018 added it
Shelves: ukya, stand-alones
The motto of this book should be 'comparison is the thief of joy', and it's a lesson that I still have to learn, so thanks 'Second Best Friend' for the reminder! ...more
Bookread2day
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love reading books by Non Pratt. I've read Truth or Dare, so I jumped at the chance of reading Second Best Friend. I think that a lot of us might see our self in this story. Who doesn't want to be liked? We all did at school. Jade has a kind of perfect best friend. Yes we've all been there and had what we thought was a best friend. Jade wants to dump her boyfriend Rob, and of course Becky, who is Jade's best friend gives Jade full encouragement to split up from Rob. Wait for it, something happ ...more
Kara Babcock
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let’s get one thing straight: I am absolutely a Non Pratt fanboy, so if this review sounds a little too gushing, that’s because it is. Pratt’s books are a rich, tasty dessert to me: eminently satisfying, far longer-lasting than candy, and sometimes even a little bit good—but not too good—for you. Second Best Friend is no exception. Like Unboxed , her previous novella from Barrington Stoke, Second Best Friend is an encapsulated, somewhat brief story about a specific point in time. Whereas Unbo ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
Second Best Friend is another brilliantly accessible and relatable contemporary story from YA favourite Non Pratt, all about female friendship, rivalry and self-confidence. The novella features Jade and Becky, best friends for years and partners in crime, but the girls' friendship is put to the test when Jade's ex-boyfriend leads Becky to believe that everyone thinks she's the less talented, less pretty, less interesting of the pair. Jade is voted in as Party Leader ahead of the school's General ...more
Kayla
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because it was so realistic yet entertains you. I don't personally know the feeling of being shadowed by your best friend but I can say that I did really feel it in this book. ...more
Kelly
This book is just sheer brilliance. It gives a raw and honest look into the sometimes inexplicably complex relationship that you have with a best friend in a way that only Non Pratt could do it.

Jade and Becky have always been best friends. That is until they are both thrust into the limelight with their school General Election (which I thought was a brilliant way to give younger readers an insight into how politics can work, by the way!). This book is all about those moments where we find oursel
Grace
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was like a burst of brilliance; a story I think every young - and older - woman will relate to.
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
In her 2nd novella for Barrington Stoke, Non Pratt tells the story of Jade, who begins to notice how often she`s second best to her best friend Becky after a catty comment from ex Rob. She gets very involved in a new class about politics and becomes determined to finally beat Becky in the school election, no matter the cost. This was a unqiue concept I can`t recall seeing before, and I read this in one sitting as not only was it short and easier to read due to Barrington Stoke`s design modificat ...more
Robin Stevens
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sharp, brilliantly-observed YA story about the insecurities we all have about comparing ourselves to our most beloved friends. Jade feels second-best to her best friend Becky, so goes all out to beat her in the school election. I loved this book, and I love Non's writing style. Bravo! (12+)

Eve beinguniquebooks
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book we meet Jade and her best friend Becky. When Jade gets dumped and compared to her best friend we start to see just how insecure she feels as the book develops into a image based plot mixed into school politics.

The books main message is that we shouldn't compare ourselves and there are people out there who will see us for all we are and our amazing selves, we're all different and it's to be celebrated not hated!

Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
A great read about friendship, rivalry, insecurities and the pressure society places on girls to compete against one another.
Alyce Hunt
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brief reminder of the importance of friendship, and the fact that you shouldn't base your self-worth on the opinions of others.
If you loved Non Pratt's Unboxed, you'll probably love Second Best Friend even more! The only thing that could have improved it would have been a better ending - the way it finishes is startlingly abrupt, and it would have been nice to see the story finished a little more neatly.

EDIT 08/02/18:

I wasn't planning on writing a full-length review for Second Best Friend, b
Luna
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Non Pratt continuously brings out books with spookily relatable characters. It’s people you either have in your life or you relate to on a personal level. With Second Best Friend I really felt like I understood Jade and I think there will be many other readers like me. Comparing yourself to others is almost automatic and when you compare yourself to your best friend(s) it’s tough not to let things get to you.

I really enjoyed reading Second Best Friend. As a novella it’s brilliantly executed, bal
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Non Pratt, so much so that a few weeks ago I wrote a short post about just how much I love her books. Pratt writes the most wonderful characters, teenagers who feel real with relatable problems.

I think Second Best Friend is her most honest book so far. Jade and Becky are best friends, matching with blonde hair and interchangeable wardrobes. But when the boy Jade breaks up with tells her he only pursued her because Becky turned him down, Jade begins to suffer an inferiority complex. Why do
Kirsty
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-author, lgbt, ukya
Fabulously relatable. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Fiona Nichols
I am once again astounded by how much can go into a short book 💜
Steph
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these books. They’re like a brilliant hug from a friend. Short, honest, brilliant. Non is an actual angel and her friendships are always the best.
Nana
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Short stories should be more like this. Second Best Friend discribes a feeling probably every girl experienced once in her life. An easy nice read for a nice break between heavier books.
Sabrina
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Short but heartfelt and attention holding.
Fny
2,5 ⭐️ I think this book wasn’t really for me. I didn’t like the MC and her choices. But younger teens probably will like it more. I wasn’t in the right target group for this one I guess.
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Second Best Friend was one of the 2018 releases that I absolutely couldn't wait for. I have been a huge Non Pratt fan ever since reading her debut, Trouble, and since then I seriously cannot get enough of her books. I have read and loved all of them and Second Best Friend was no exception. Non once again writes about an incredible important and relevant issue in teens and I feel like this is the more raw and real story so far.

Jade and Becky have been best friends forever. But Jade is finding her
Rachel
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First read (5th December 2017): ‪5★‬
A wonderful short story about friendships, politics and rivalry. Jade is determined to win the school election following a comment from her ex, even if it means losing her best friend in the process.

Jade reminded me a lot of myself when I was at school, and her character was so wonderfully written. Although it’s only a short story there was so much packed into it, but it was still so believable. I’ve read short stories before that haven’t got the pace right a
Shelly
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, soo another triumph here Non.
The book explored topics of insecurity and jealousy really, really well!
Non Pratt's super simple, clever writing style, blows me away every time.
I have been Jade, I am Jade. Jealous of my best friend, the person across the street. A fellow reviewer with more views. All these things affect us and Non, has written them in a very down to earth, honest way.
The way this book has been published in dyslexia-friendly form is beyond awesome. I didn’t notice till I had
 Adesuwa Grace (Somewhat Reserved)

Before this book got published, I didn't realise that it was going to be a children's book rather than a shorter YA. Yes, there are swear words but the way the students act really reveals their age (I doubt they're 13 but still) and also if you calculate their age by their year (they're year 9s, I think).

At the start of the novel, Jade plans to dump a super popular and apparently 'super-hot' boy name Rob because of how little of a connection she has with him. To save face, Rob spills th
Beth
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gifted, arc-proof, 2018
I adored this book. I really enjoyed the way it was styled as it is set out for people who don't usually read and I've already passed it on to a friend who isn't a big reader. It was fun but also very heartwarming with a hint of drama and about female friendship and how one little thing can set of a chain of motions that shows the ups and downs of friendship especially, in high school.

Jade and Becky are the best of friends. They spend a lot of time together, go out together, share secrets, shar
Lisa Bentley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Non Pratt is one of my go-to authors. Ever since I read Trouble I have been hooked on her writing which makes it rather strange that it took me so long to read Second Best Friend. This is her second dyslexia friendly text released through Barrington Stoke and I must say, Non Pratt does not patronise her readers.

Second Best Friend is the story of Jade and Becky – best friends but political enemies in an upcoming class project. However, the seemingly perfect Becky is beginning to push Jade’s butto
Sophie Jones
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a nice little read. Most Barrington Stokes I read are high action with violence or huge life changing events woven throughout. This one was very different in pace.

There was no crazy madness or extreme violence but it hooked you in as its rather relatable. Jade notices that her best friend Becky is amazing at everything and she is not as good. The constant comparison starts to drive a wedge between them too until Jade feels forced to come out on top no matter what. I think most people ha
Katie Hurse
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this book explored the topics of insecurity, inferiority and jealousy really, really well! I don't necessarily think they are talked about, explicitly, enough in YA, so it was really nice to see an honest depiction. Again, I love Non Pratt's super simple, clever writing style and this book being published in dyslexia-friendly form is beyond awesome.
Firstly I should say that boys like Becky's ex (whose name has escaped me, and good riddance!!) who make comments like he did are GROSS. I ju
Alice
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really confused by the formatting of this book. I found it in the YA section of the library but the font is huge, it’s only 137 pages and the plot seemed like it was aimed at a middle grade audience. When I started reading I realised the characters are in year 11 and swears are not treated lightly. SO CONFUSING. On plot and writing alone, I did not enjoy this book, I picked it up because the title spoke to me, it caught my attention. But it ended up going in a different direction to what I ...more

• Grave Matter
  • Säg nåt då!
  • Digitala verktyg i matematikundervisningen
  • Det handlar om dig
  • Korridorer
  • Fula tjejer (Fula tjejer, #1)
  • Grön zon (Zonen, #2)
  • Boys for Beginners
  • Tessa in Love
  • What Abigail Did That Summer (Rivers of London, #5.3)
  • The Wave
  • The Naughtiest Girl Wants to Win
Non Pratt started her career working on non-fiction activity books at Usborne, before becoming an editor at Catnip Publishing. Her debut novel TROUBLE shortlisted for the YA Book Prize and the Branford Boase Award, with rights sold to the USA, Germany and Brazil. Her second novel, REMIX came out in 2015 and a novella, UNBOXED for Barrington Stoke in 2016. Her third novel with Walker Books, TRUTH O ...more