Start by marking “The Room on the Roof (The Originals)” as Want to Read:
The Room on the Roof (The Originals)

The Room on the Roof

(Rusty #1)

The Room on the Roof is a timeless coming-of-age novel that will resonate with a whole new generation of readers. Written by renowned author Ruskin Bond when he was just seventeen, it is the story of Rusty, a teenage Anglo-Indian boy who is orphaned and has to live with his English guardian in the stifling European quarter of Dehra Dun. Unhappy with the strict ways of his ...more
Published August 3rd 2017 by Penguin (first published 1956)

Start your review of The Room on the Roof (The Originals)
Hriday
A fantastic book. Dehra - its hills, bazaars, street vendors, lakes and all the simple charms of a small town.

The best i have read of Ruskin Bond. It makes you rethink about your life, slow down and value the simple pleasures of life.

This book is simply profound and profoundly simple - one of the best i have read.

I wish i was Rusty, the protagonist :D
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
If I had written something like this when I was 17..... (my mind stopped working)

But yes, this book needs a proper review.

Coming soon...
Apoorva
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Room on the Roof” is the coming-of-age story centered on a lonely, orphaned Anglo-Indian boy Rusty. At 17, he is living with his strict guardian on the outskirts of the town Dehra with the members of the British community. He is not allowed to travel outside and have any contact with the Indians living in the town.

One incident provokes him to rebel against the authority and venture into the mysterious town forbidden to him. The book describes his struggles to live on his own, his budding fr
Jarvis
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone :)
Recommended to Jarvis by: Arpit Jain
Shelves: biggg-luv, my-reviews
4 Stars Full Of Freedom!!!

This book is about Rusty who runs away from his guardian house to live with his Indian friends. His guardian hates Indian, considers them to be inferior but Rusty found true love and friendship with his friends.

This book shows a lot of different aspects of villages in India. From the described natural beauty of Dehra to those hospitable families, everything is shown so well! So part were funny when Rusty was with his friends and some parts where emotional (vie
Archit
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Friendship. Love. Innocence.

Ruskin Bond at his best. The writing is fluent, mature and memorable. Such tenderness.
Prabhjot Kaur
The Room on the Roof was written by Ruskin Bond when he was 17 and no wonder it struck such a chord with me when I read this as it beautifully captures the struggles of a young adult.

It is about an Anglo-Indian boy, Rusty who is not allowed to get in contact with other Indians and lives in a house with a guardian. Then one day Rusty runs away from his guardian house.

This is such a good story about finding your identity, your place and how to overcome loneliness and find happiness in the communi
Zoeb
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the tender, still naive age of 13, I fell in love for the first time.

It was a year to remember. I remember seeing her, who would soon be the woman of my dreams, for the first time as I would always see her and come to love her - her beauty blossoming and blooming and filling my young heart with the promise of a happy life shared together with her.

It was also the year, when I read Ruskin Bond's "The Room On The Roof", a novel that, no matter whatever other great novels I have read and loved a
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
🌼 "...what is this one life in the whole pattern of life, what is this one death but a passing of time... And if I were to die now, suddenly and without cause, what would happen, would it matter...we live without knowing why or to what purpose."

🧡 "Madness and freedom and violence were new to him: loneliness was familiar, something he understood."

"He had seen and experienced life to the full, and life has bruised and scarred him but it had not crippled him."

"Not because I am unhappy - I have neve
Gorab
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gorab by: Arpit Jain
Shelves: z2016, indian, buddy-reads
3.5/5
My first Ruskin Bond book and I'm surely going to read more by him. Coming of age simple narration (semi-biographical) by an Anglo-Indian. Loved the stress on friendship and individuality.
Thanks for the reco Arpit.
Tusharika
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unwavering 5 Stars to any Ruskin Bond book

Ruskin Bond's books and writings are little bundles of joys that you just can't help going back to. His writing is like a breath of fresh air. You cannot get enough of it.His description of the surroundings transport you to the the hilly regions,lush green forests,scent of flowers.It is like walking "The light spring rain rode on the wind, into the trees, down the road" bringing an exhilarating freshness to the air.Even when I had never been to Mussoorie
Sherin Punnilath
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming to think about it, there was nothing much about the story :)
This could have happened in the next street (& gone unnoticed). And that’s the beauty of this novella.

I began, thinking it’s going to be boring, but found it quite interesting. Simple & Good.
Kakashi Hatake
For my friends :
"when we met for the first time,it was a sunny day .
the heaven smiling and spreading the warmth.
The warmth of our smile .The warmth of our heart.

when we will be separated ,let it rain.
let the heaven cry .let it be damp and cold .
let it reflect the moods our hearts, that will never beat in a rhythm again.
mine will always miss a beat for you and your's a couple for me. because my friend, God knows you have always loved me more than I could love you back."

for the book:
I loved the
Anurag Kumar
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A Little about the Writer

Ruskin Bond is one of the most celebrated children’s authors in India. He has been actively writing since 1951. In his five decades of writing career Ruskin Bond has lost track of number of books he has written, and he is still active in the literary field enriching them with the tales from Himalayas where he has spent most of his life. Ruskin Bond has been felicitated by Sahitya Akademi Award and Padma Shri.

The Book

The Room on the Roof is Ruskin Bonds first novel, writt
Bookishbong  Moumita
Rupsha Ghosh
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart touching story. An anglo-Indian boy who does not remember his parents encounters the beak of adolescence and the uncertainty of what lies ahead.
like always this will have a special spot in my heart because this is what made me love reading in the first place.
Hari Kumar
I would like to give this book more than 5 stars, but Goodreads made the limit. And this is probably one of the best books I've ever read. I loved all the characters very much. This book has made me a die-hard fan of Mr. Ruskin Bond and is the best of his works. ...more
Jasmine
Rusty, a sixteen-year-old Anglo-Indian boy, is dissatisfied with life in the declining European community at Dehra Dun… Unhappy with the strict ways of his English guardian, Rusty runs away from home to live with Indian friends. Plunging for the first time into the dream-bright world of the bazaar, Hindu festivals and other aspects of Indian life, Rusty is enchanted...and is lost forever to the prim proprieties of the European community... ‘Like an Indian bazaar itself, the book is filled with t ...more
Pooja Banga
Ok ok read
Ruskin bond is a excellent author ..I didn't read his books earlier but when I started reading them I couldn't stop reading it .
Story-The Room on the Roof is Ruskin Bond’s masterpiece of adolescence and coming of age. Written when the author was seventeen, it brilliantly describes the hopes and passions that capture young minds and hearts. A moving tale of love and friendship, it has endured as Bond’s most beloved novel.
Jenny
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book during my school days, and I still remember everything from the story. It was such a great experience, because these few books are the reason why I started reading more and more novels!!!
Astha Prakash
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cannot believe he wrote this when he was seventeen. So beautifully written. The scenes so well-described, and feelings so effortlessly expressed. Loved the simplicity of it all. I was lucky to get this book autographed by him :)
Akash (Turtle)
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely lovely book.. it conveys the life of the protagonist Rusty so beautifully that it is very relatable... Short and sweet.
Sharmila °˖✧
Another amazing read and this time it's a novel about adolescence, a search for identity, a quest for self and understanding the complexities of life..!!

The novel starts with the smell of the fresh earth in the mountains of Dehra after the first drizzle of rain welcoming the season of life- the Spring. Yes!! If you are familiar with the writing style of Mr.Bond you would know how beautifully he describes Dehra in each of his works. One could literally smell the mountains.
The story unfolds itsel
Namratha
Ruskin Bond's works are the literary equivalent of quiet walks through mist shrouded hill stations. And The Room on the Roof is probably his crowning gem.

Written by Bond when he was seventeen years old, it tells the tale of a lonely teenage ango-indian boy called Rusty. Brought up under the harsh Victorian discipline of his European guardian in Dehra Dun, Rusty eventually rebels and breaks free. He discovers the true flavours of India and the convoluted meaning of friendship in a noisy eart
Nirav
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruskin Bond's first book when he was only SEVENTEEN. Who writes so smoothly at 17? I wonder people even write such books anymore. This book has everything in it; death, love, sadness, anger, friendship. Such emotions weaved into words and this book is just out of the world. You got to read it if you haven't yet. The illustrated edition is so very colorful and fun to read. Really loved all the paintings inside it. Everyone should read this book before they die or give up reading. It brings back a ...more
Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books)
Such a beautiful book, alive and amazing. Full review follow soon.
Nikhilesh
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikhilesh by: Richa
"The light spring rain rode on the wind, into the trees, down the road; it brought an exhilarating freshness to the air, a smell of earth, a scent of flowers; it brought a smile to the eyes of the boy on the road."

These are unabashed fanboy worship five stars. The book is a simple young adult story about a seventeen year old boy discovering adulthood. I cant explain why I loved it so much the way you cant just explain why one loves good music*. As a child one book The Ruskin Bond Children's Omni
Ishani
I am speechless and in a trans after reading this book. It brought me back to my childhood; to the simpler days when joy was profound and in the simplest of things found around.

The story is as simply & vividly described as can be from a young soul.
It made me walk the streets of Dehra to the bazaar and into the chaat shop.
I could smell the flowers through the open window and watched the sky burst into rains siting beside Rusty.
I could smell the damp earth & swung in the branches of the mango tree
Rebecca
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would describe this as Spring or like flowers or dew drops after rain. It was so pleasant like a breath of fresh air.... Rusty you have captured my heart.

Rusty a young boy of seventeen finds adventures, home, friends and a new life in the bazaars of Dehra after running away from his guardian. That is the crux of the story..Simple but beautiful....Read with Arpit and Sundara.
Manpreet Kaur
It's a good read. Kiddish at times, especially when you consider the age of the author. And too subtle for my taste, like you don't feel extreme sadness when people die or bad things happen... could have had more emotions.

Still, I enjoyed reading it.
Riya Joseph Kaithavanathara
WINNER OF THE JOHN LLEWELLYN RHYS PRIZE🏆

"Everyday he walked aimlessly along the road, over the hillside, brooding on the future, or dreaming of sudden & perfect companionship, romance and heroics; hardly ever concious of the present when an opportunity for friendship did present itself, as it had the previous day; to sheild away, preferring his own company."

THE ROOM ON THE ROOF a novel written by Ruskin Bond, about Rusty an English boy, who has not gone to England and happens to be stuck in Indi
Choosing a Professional Roofer 1 1 Aug 30, 2019 03:59AM
Roof Inspection in Mobile 1 2 Jun 21, 2019 01:54AM
Roof Repair in Mobile 1 1 Jun 21, 2019 01:49AM
Roof Inspection in Mobile 1 1 Jun 20, 2019 10:03PM
Roof Installation in Mobile 1 1 May 27, 2019 11:01PM

• Swami and Friends
  • Malgudi Days
  • Train to Pakistan
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories
  • Wise and Otherwise
  • Three Thousand Stitches: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives
  • The Palace of Illusions
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • The Mother I Never Knew: Two Novellas
  • Gently Falls The Bakula
  • Letters from a Father to his Daughter
  • Ghachar Ghochar
  • Grandma's Bag of Stories
  • Dopehri
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • The Guide
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist. He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establ ...more

Rusty (2 books)
  • Vagrants in the Valley

News & Interviews

“I don't want to rot like mangoes at the end of the season, or burnout like the sun at the and of the day. I cannot live like the gardener, the cook and water-carrier, doing the same task everyday of my life... I want to be either somebody or nobody. I don't want to be anybody.” 34 likes
“You don’t have to lie if you know how to withhold the truth.” 12 likes