Start by marking “The Secret Slipper (Tales of Faith #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Slipper (Tales of Faith #2)

The Secret Slipper

(Tales of Faith #2)

Being a cripple is only the beginning of Lia’s troubles. It seems as if Bioti’s goal in life is to make Lia as miserable as possible. If Lia’s purpose is to be a slave, then why did God make her a cripple? How can He make something beautiful out of her deformity?

Published May 25th 2017 (first published May 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Slipper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Slipper

Hannah
Enjoyable story...full review when published!
Kate Willis
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

This is the third book I’ve read by this author, and I really love her writing style and strong Christian themes. From the cover onward, this book was charming and very unique. (Even just the chapter headings were adorable.) ;) I enjoyed every minute of Dumphey and Noel, but it was really sad how Lia misunderstood their helpfulness.

The Raoul, Jolin, Galien
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews.

Title: The Secret Slipper

Author: Amanda Tero

Series: Tales of Faith, #2 (can function as stand-alone)

Genre: Christian Fairytale Retelling

Setting: non-magical fantasy world

Publisher: Amanda Tero

Source: from author (in exchange for honest review)

Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

The Review:

Just as with Befriending the Beast, I loved this book. It was definitely a five-star read, and, as with BtB (what? I like acronyms!), it was special. I love the idea of retelling fair
Sarah Grace Grzy
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Kate Willis
Wow! This was SO good! I loved it. I was hooked from the very beginning and couldn't put it down! I loved the fact that this was based on a father\daughter relationship as opposed to your stereotypical romance. I am always a sucker for a father\daughter story, and this one didn't disappoint! I also love how non-cliché it was. Based off Cinderella, yet so different. Never did I think, "wow, that was so expected, just like Cinderella!".

I love how realistic Lord Kiralyn was; he was by no means per
Victoria Minks
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this sequel to "Befriending the Beast" by Amanda Tero. It took me a minute to get refocused on who was who in the beginning but the preface was really intriguing and I quite liked that part. The storyline is very well done and I think younger girls, in particular, would love the book! My favorite thing about it... well, it's a toss-up between the characters and the descriptions. For some reason I just love Amanda's descriptions--they're beautiful and very vivid. But the characte ...more
Faith
4/4.5 stars

What a sweet retelling story! <3 The characters were amazing and feel-able, the setting lovely, and the plot sucked me in.

Lia was such a sweet dear and a character that made me just want to grab her and hug her. (And save her from Bioti!)
Raoul was amazing too. His inner struggles and search for his daughter was just... <3 <3 I especially liked the relationship between Raoul and Jolin. Raoul was ready to run off into any situation, and Jolin was there to hold him back. I'm
Jesseca Wheaton
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

I had the privilege of beta-reading The Secret Slipper and I enjoyed the story immensely! The father-daughter take on an old fairy talk classic was delightful, and I cannot wait to share it with my sister, who is impatiently awaiting the paperback.
The characters were all done very well; there really wasn't any that were in the book for no reason. They all had a purpose. Which was nice to read for a change. ;) The struggles of the characters were also very well done and very relateable.
Sarah Briel
The Secret Slipper was one of the sweetest Christian books I’ve read this year.

It’s technically the sequel/companion to the beautiful Befriending The Beast. That being said, The Secret Slipper works perfectly fine as a stand-alone. Like, I haven’t read Befriending the Best in around … 9 months and forgot most of the details but The Secret Slipper made perfect sense, save for about 5 sentences at the beginning of the book which made way more sense when I actually remembered stuff. As I’m re-readi
Melanie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Secret Slipper was really good. I loved how there wasn't any romance in the story -- I was so refreshing!

The search her father made looking for her was great and I felt his love for her. The book was written well and the story moved along nicely.

All in all, I enjoyed The Secret Slipper and recommend it.

*I received a complimentary eBook copy of this book for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Being a cripple is only the beginning of Lia’s troubles. It seems as if Bioti’s goal in life is to make Lia as miserable as possible. If Lia’s purpose was to be a slave, then why did God make her a cripple? How can He make something beautiful out of her deformity?
Raoul never questioned the death of his daughter until someone reports her whereabouts. If Ellia is still alive, how has she survived these ten years with her deformity? When Raoul doesn’t know who to trust, can he tr
Kendra Ardnek
Have you ever read a fairy tale and had the thought, "You know what? This would be so much better without the romance. And, hey, while we're at it, let's toss out the magic, too!"?

Well, those aren’t thoughts that I’ve ever had, specifically, but I am always looking for fairy tales told in new and intriguing ways. When I heard of Amanda Tero’s Befriending the Beast, a story where the “beast” was the heroine’s father, rather than love interest, I knew I needed to read it. There aren’t many B&B
Kelsey Bryant
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
More like 4.5 stars . . . Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale. The Secret Slipper is Cinderella with an intriguing twist it appears no one has ever written before: What if Cinderella’s father is the one who is looking for her? This creative turn of character made for a unique story that was able to focus on the yearning for family and belonging instead of the overdone romance, and, most importantly, how God turns out everything to work for the good of His children.

The story is fast-paced and th
Kaitlyn S.
This was a beautiful read by an author I highly respect. I love Amanda's work, and this book is no exception.

This story is told well -- the story of Raoul looking for his lost daughter he had been told was dead many years ago. The twists and turns in finding her are well documented, and I love how Raoul learns to trust the Lord through every trial in his life.

The retelling of Cinderella is delightful -- I loved the fact he still had a baby slipper from when she was little. He had kept it for y
Emily
Once upon a time ... there was a girl named Cinderella. You all know the story, but I bet you haven't heard it told quite like this. There is no prince charming, no ball, and definitely no romance. Rather, there is a little, crippled girl kidnapped while her father, the King's brother, is fighting in a war. Ten years later, her father learns she is still alive but only has her specially-made slipper to track her down with.
The Secret Slipper by Amanda Tero is cute, to say the least. It is a hear
Ejayen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing to say but, delightful.
Alexa
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, it did take me about half the book to really get into this. The beginning was a little overdramatic for my tastes and I felt the characters needed to spend a little more time thinking through their actions than they actually did. But that is a human character trait and a personal preference issue, so don’t just take my word for it. :)

And besides, by the end of it all, I was 100% into this story. Like, I may or may not have put aside my own writing for a while, so I could finish this
Hanna
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a beta-reader, I helped revise this a bit. It didn't need much! For a fairy-tale retelling, this was really good. I didn't even realize that it was a retelling of Cinderella at first.
The characters in The Secret Slipper were very well-developed. Raoul's struggle and pride was believable and actually affected me personally(The need for prayer is very important!). Lia's predicament and distress endeared me to her. Bioti was evil, but her motivation made sense- as much sense as an evil person
Linda Matchett
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Secret Slipper is a wonderful retelling of the Cinderella story. I loved that the prince in this case was the father, and even though I’m quite familiar with the popular fairy tale, I found myself rooting for him as I wondered if he would ever find his daughter. I liked the flavor of the setting-kind of medieval, but not as primitive. The villain is so evil, it was a pleasure to dislike her, and I found myself getting angry as I read the injustices she meted out to Lia. There was a character ...more
Deanna Stevens
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
This was an interesting Medieval short story that was like a Cinderella story. An evil stepmother, stepsisters and Lia is the young lady hired out to work and support them all! I enjoyed the Christian theme found in this one. This tale was of hardship, friendship and forgiveness, it made an interesting quick read.
Bethany
I loved this book! I don’t read or like fairy tales, but I enjoyed Book One of this series, Befriending the Beast by Amanda Tero , because there was no magic, spells, witches, etc., so I was excited to be able to receive an advanced reader copy of Book Two.

The plot was loosely based on Cinderella, but with a lot of surprising twists! I loved reading more about the characters from Befriending the Beast by Amanda Tero , and having the story told from two POVs instead of only one. It made the story interesting without being difficult to follow.

(view spoiler)
Sydney
In the second book in the Tales of Faith series, author Amanda Tero brings to life a new and fun father-daughter Cinderella story. It’s about discovering that the people that were supposedly are your step family aren’t really your family and being reunited with family where you are truly loved and wanted. This is a fun twist on the story of Cinderella, and although it’s not a romance, story, readers will be charmed and delighted by this sweet tale.

Series: Tales of Faith
Genre: historical, fantasy
Danyale
The Secret Slipper is a fairy tale similar to Cinderella, but with some very different twists in it.  I love how Tero turned the main character into a cripple.  This made the story-line more believable, but still intriguing.  It also portrayed how strong a father's love can be.

The characters are believable and well-created.  I tried and tried to figure out why Bioti did the things she did.  She was a miserable woman who did some despicable things.  I disliked her from the beginning of the stor
serena482*
My rating 3.5 stars. The Secret Slipper was an interesting read. I enjoyed it for the most part. There was not much of action, for that reason (because I really love action. (: ) I am rating it 3.5 stars. But don't let that deter you from reading it! I still enjoyed it, and my preferences are different that a lot of people. ;) Amanda did a very good job on the writing, and the story was a very interesting retelling of Cinderella. Over all it was a good read and I enjoyed it. i would recommend it ...more
Hanne T
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't really consider myself a fantasy lover. As in, if having to choose between fantasy and historical, I'd pick historical, nearly every time. However, I was excited to read Amanda's The Secret Slipper because they're fairytale retellings that don't seem like retellings.

The Secret Slipper IS a Cinderella retelling, but it's not one of those where, halfway through the first page, you go "oh...not this again." Instead, it's one of those where, two chapters from the end, you suddenly go, "Oh! T
Janell R.
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I personally love fairy-tale retellings, and Cinderella stories are some of my favorites. This one was no exception! Following in the same style as the first one, instead of a handsome prince, the male MC is her father. I just love that! And I absolutely loved this book! Amanda did a great job developing the characters. I can’t give anything away, but she did an amazing job of slipping in an undercurrent of uncertainty with one particular character that turned out to be proven correct in the end ...more
Faith
Title: The Secret Slipper
Written By: Amanda Tero
Genre: Christian Fantasy/Fairy Tale
Recommended Ages: Any

Introduction:
I like fairy tales. Mostly. I don't like magic, though, so it's really hard to find one I will read. Amanda has done a great job not only writing fairy tales with no magic, but also with no romance! How does she do that? Read her Tales of Faith series to find out.

Characters: 1/1
Rebellious, kind, angry, willing to risk everything, grudge holders, desperate, helpful, cruel, sweet. A
Tina at Mommynificent
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Slipper by Amanda Tero is a creative twist on a classic fairy tale with the Christian faith woven into it. I loved it! There were some very sad parts, but they were lightened by some ironic comedy that made me laugh out loud. And the sad parts make the ending even more sweet! I loved how this book, the second book in the Tales of Faith series, mentioned characters from the first book. I sincerely hope that there will soon be a third addition to this series.

As a homeschooler who is an
Erika Mathews
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book in this series that I read, due to it being the only one available during a road trip. And despite beginning a series in the middle, this book ended up being my favorite of the trilogy. The characters were so sweet (or . . . vivid in other ways!), the plot was intriguing, and the themes, deep and inspirational. Amanda's writing style is God-honoring, and every one of her books has reflected her heart for Him. The Secret Slipper portrayed modern, realistic heart struggles ...more
Raechel
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.5

This was a well written story, based on Cinderella - yet with a different twist, just as Miss Tero's "Befriending the Beast" had.
I found this to be a enjoyable read, and liked it quite a lot. The faith-message sprinkled through out was very good, and the Bible verses gave great structure and depth.
I am normally a fan of sweet romances, yet even without a romantic interest, this story captured my interest and was a very sweet tale, showing the love of family.
Fairy-tale retellings have a soft
Marlene
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting twist on Cinderella. The prince being a father who believed his daughter "Cinderella" was dead. A servant out for revenge for a perceived wrongdoing. An enjoyable quick read.
Amanda Tero is a homeschool graduate who desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material. She has enjoyed writing since before ten years old, but it has only been since 2013 that she began seriously pursuing writing again – starting with some short stories that she wrote for her sisters as a gift. Her mom encouraged her to try selling the stories she published, and since then, sh ...more

Tales of Faith (3 books)
  • Befriending the Beast (Tales of Faith, #1)
  • Protecting the Poor (Tales of Faith, #3)