Start by marking “The Mitford Murders (Mitford Murders #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mitford Murders (Mitford Murders #1)

The Mitford Murders

(Mitford Murders #1)

It's 1919, and Louisa Cannon dreams of escaping her life of poverty in London, and most of all her oppressive and dangerous uncle.

Louisa's salvation is a position within the Mitford household at Asthall Manor, in the Oxfordshire countryside. There she will become nurserymaid, chaperone and confidante to the Mitford sisters, especially sixteen-year-old Nancy - a
Published September 12th 2017 by Little, Brown Book Group

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'As she moved along, stately but sure, like the Lusitania departing from Liverpool, she thought she recognized a figure out of the corner of her eye. It gave Florence a start. Did he know she would be at Victoria? The man was slight, angular and frayed at the edges - a wooden life raft to her ocean liner. His back was half turned away and his hat was pulled down low so that she couldn't be sure if he had seen her. Florence picked up the pace, her heart quickening. She spotted her Porter ...more
Susan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a great lover of Golden Age mysteries, but often feel that modern novels which attempt to recreate that period feel, sometimes suffer from an attempt to make them modern and appeal to modern readers. In some ways, this novel is a good example of a mystery, set in the period 1919 – 1921, yet which is aimed at a modern audience and attempts to make the crime more realistic; yet, in doing so, loses some of the charm of those books.

Louisa Cannon lives with her washerwoman mother, and her unscr
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes is a historical murder mystery novel that came into my hands through a family member who I often trade books with. I was initially intrigued by the surname of the author of this book, Jessica Fellowes. A quick search of Jessica Fellowes revealed that she is connected to Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame, she is his niece. Further connections to Downton Abbey came to ligh
Brenda
Louisa Cannon lived with her mother, both quietly working for others as a seamstress and washerwoman. Things had been hard since her father died, but it had become much worse when her uncle arrived. Louisa was frightened of him, and her mother was too cowed to speak up. So Louisa kept out of his way while she dreamed of escape. One thing led to another and suddenly Louisa had the opportunity to work in Asthall Manor with the Mitford family – she would be a governess of sorts to the six children ...more
Maine Colonial
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who’s been reading about the Mitford family for years, I just couldn’t resist buying this book. But I wish I had.

Much of the story plays out at the Mitfords’ estate in 1920, when the eldest child, Nancy, is 16 and the youngest, Deborah is born. Our main character, Louisa Cannon, age 18, has fled dire circumstances in London and been taken on as a nursery maid. Nancy latches on to Louisa because she is starved for variety and the companionship of someone close to her own ag
Sheryl
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by this author; she's built quite a following over her "Downtown Abby" books. I love historical mysteries primarily set in post-war Britain. This book did not disappoint; the way Ms. Fellowes weaved the facts of the case with her own brand of fiction made this a terrific mystery. I must confess, I had no idea this book was based on a true story until I finished the book and read the author’s notes.
Florence Nightingale Shore was a war nurse whose God Mother you
Josephine Quealy
*cue Cartman voice* Ah’m talkin’ fifth-season Night Court LAME.

This was a dreary effort and I’ll not be delving further into the series. A drippy heroine, a plodding plot, and having Nancy saying ‘Farve’ every five seconds does not conjure up the world of the Mitfords. There’s a plot twist revealed halfway through that you’ll probably see coming and, even if you don’t, will NOT have you clutching your pearls. You’ll also most likely guess the killer. Utter drivel.
Brenda Kittelty
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do yourself a favour... and give this overly long, nonsensical insult to the mystery/crime genre a really wide berth. Anyone who can make the famously eccentric Mitford family appear so dull and boring deserves some sort of reverse commendation. And to pin the based-on-real-events-murder on an actual person, whom the author admits was blameless in her epilogue, is sailing close to the winds of defamation and slander. This book was ten kinds of crap. Why in the hell did I persist?
Kat
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A good first story for a new murder mystery series!
The main characters are likeable and it was a pleasant read despite that it had a rather slow beginning to get to the point of the investigation lead by the protagonists!
I really am fond of stories set upon period eras and that added to my giving a high rating!
Myrna
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was largely a book of fiction but based on real events and people after WWI. I liked Louisa and the Nancy Mitford story more than the murder mystery of Nightingale. Good book but I didn’t love like I was hoping. 3.5 stars!
Angie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up

A fun period mystery, based upon a real unsolved murder, with plenty of appearances of real people from the era.

It grabbed me from the beginning, with the murder of Florence Nightingale Shore. As it still remains a mystery today, I couldn’t wait to see where the story went. I’m also fascinated by the the Mitford sisters and looked forward to reading about them. Although I enjoyed the story, I think it could’ve been even better with more details. I would classify this as a
Holly
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
I was hoping to love this one but, unfortunately, I didn't. I was expecting a cozy mystery with the possible involvement of the Mitford sisters. It was kinda like that but just not quite what I wanted. Let me first say that this wasn't badly written. Jessica Fellowes can write, and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this series. However, I think for me everything seemed bland. Bland characters and a bland plot.

We open to Florence Nightingale Shore being murdered--which is a real lif
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
The Mitford sisters have fascinated me for more than a decade, I read biographies, autobiographies, their letters, Nancy Mitford's novels etc. I don't think I am an expert, but I am familiar, so I think the main reason I found this book hard to deal with was the fact that I simply could not see any point in bringing the Mitfords into this otherwise fine murder mystery.

The setting is 1919/1920 and a young girl from London tries to escape from her evil uncle and is glad to get a job as nursery ma
Lindsay
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Oh my Lord, this book is BAD! I don’t know if I’m more bothered that the crime element was so weak it would have struggled to make an engaging novella, or that the Mitfords have somehow been reduced to insipid blandness.

Don’t even get me started on the ending - you CANNOT just decide that an actual real person who was never even charged let alone suspected, was guilty of the murder. A real person who was a good friend. Who was involved in running the memorial to Florence Nightingale
Ange
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2017, mystery
*2.5 stars
Kathy
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
not for me - a young woman being violently treated by her drunken uncle is not something I care to proceed with and find the number of positive reviews hard to swallow
Joanne D'Arcy
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mitford Sisters have always fascinated me. How six women made such an impact on social and political history throughout the twentieth century. The people they knew and associated with jump from the pages of a history book.

When I first saw this title, I was intrigued. even more so when I learnt the author is related to Julian Fellowes* of Downton Abbey fame. There must be a storytelling gene somewhere in them there Fellowes!

But whilst this is a story, this is also a bo
Roman Clodia
It was probably only a matter of time before someone turned Nancy Mitford into a detective! This is set between 1919-21 when Nancy is 16-18 with a climax at her coming-out ball. She's bright and sassy, with some traces of her famous wit but Fellowes gets away with it by making her so young. The other 'Mitford gals' are more or less children and babies and don't play much part in this. The main characters are Louisa, a run-away working-class nanny and friend to Nancy, and her romantic interest, a ...more
Jacob Overmark
It could have been Miss Marple …
There is a certain resemblance in style, and era - and it is fairly well written/translated (into Danish)

Normally I would not go into the genre "historical crime fiction", but the book was on sale and it served its cause, providing me with, if not riveting, then a plausible plot for light summer reading.

Blood, romance, rich kid - poor kid, social realism.

MetLineReader
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. Jessica Fellowes evokes the 1920s very well and you are transported into the lives of The Mitfords. From humble beginnings in London, the nascent transport police on the Brighton line and service at The Mitfords, there are many strands to this tale.

I must confesss that I found the initial chapters confusing but persisted and am very glad I did. I loved Louisa and the policemen who brought a more human angle to the book.

Very enjoyable and a bit different
Sanne Udsen
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
The only mystery here is how this could be anywhere near a bestseller list ...
Verity W
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review *******

I really wanted to love this. I’ve read a lot of the books (fiction and non fiction) written by the Mitfords and many books written about them, so I was hoping that this would be right up my alley. But, for some reason it just didn’t do it for me. I found it alternately exasperating and clumsy. It’s not terrible, it just doesn’t deliver on what I was hoping it would. Never mind.
Amanda
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I really couldn't connect with this writing style. It was the type of book where I would read a chapter and would not be able to tell you what happened.

Although others might enjoy the novel it was not the right book for me.
Vikki P
I received an e-ARC of The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes from NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

The Mitford Murders is set in the 1920s and surrounds the investigation of the murder of Florence Nightingale Shore on a train. I found out after I had finished the book that the murder is a true story although the killer was never found. That being said, lets move on to what I thought of the book.

Plot

As far as the murder investigat
Susan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
1919, and Louisa Cannon by a stroke of luck is employed as a nursery maid in the Mitford household at Asthall Manor. But on the same train that Louisa had been travelling previously that day, Florence Nightingale Shore, is killed. Louisa, Nancy Mitford with Sergeant Guy Sullivan seem determined to find the murderer.
I didn't really get an connection to the characters, I didn't really find them interesting enough. I have no idea if the Mitfords have been portrayed accurately (they were not the re
Robin Stevens
An enjoyable historical mystery - but I think I was hoping for the Mitfords to be more central to the plot, and for their unique style of speaking and writing to be reflected in the book. A clever idea, though, and a promising start to the new series. (14+)

Judy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louisa Cannon is trapped in poverty, but also her personal safety and possibly her life is in danger due to her unscrupulous uncle. I love Louisa’s spunk in getting away and securing a job as nanny’s helper in a wealthy home out from London. Alongside Louisa’s story is that of a murder on a train, and an ambitious railway policeman who pursues the murder case even when the regular police have closed the case. As I listened to the audio version I was confused st first with excerpts from letters b ...more
Joyce
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Louisa Cannon escapes her life of poverty and her mean uncle by obtaining
a position in the Mitford household as a nursery maid. The year is 1920
and Louisa and Nancy, the oldest daughter in the house become friends.
Florence Nightingale Shore is killed on a train and the two girls become
entangled in the crimes. I enjoyed this story with its twists and life of
Morals and manners among the rich in this time period in England and of a
young girl who wishes to be a wr
Lynn Horton
I don’t have a lot to say about this book. It’s an okay story, there’s too much “telling” instead of “showing,” but it’s an easy read. I have to admit wondering whether Ms. Fellowes would have gotten her book contract had she not been the niece of Julian Fellowes, creator of Downton Abbey.
Angelique Simonsen
this was a intriguing mystery that was quite well put together. liked having the Mitford sisters part of the book as they are recognisable characters which most people know something about. not historically correct though but I did enjoy the storyline

• A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • April in Paris, 1921 (A Kiki Button Mystery, #1)
  • A Different Kind of Evil (Agatha Christie #2)
  • Fall of Angels (Inspector Redfyre Mystery #1)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 1
  • Theft of Life (Crowther and Westerman, #5)
  • Murder Most Malicious (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in an English Village (Beryl and Edwina Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
  • Death in the Stars (Kate Shackleton, #9)
  • The Secrets of Wishtide (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #1)
  • A Killer in King's Cove (Lane Winslow #1)
  • The Poisonous Seed (Frances Doughty, #1)
  • The Ripper's Shadow (Victorian Mystery #1)
  • The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #1)
  • Death of a Robber Baron
  • Death at Thorburn Hall (Drew Farthering Mystery #6)

Mitford Murders (3 books)
  • Bright Young Dead (The Mitford Murders #2)
  • Cruel Bodies (Mitford Murders #3)
“June in the Cotswolds continued to astonish her with its unfolding beauty. After the exploding colours and scents of May, intoxicating with its blossom and the constant singing of birds, June’s long, still days, with bees diving into the bowed heads of the heavy roses, made her feel as if she could lie down in the grass and disappear like Alice into Wonderland.” 0 likes