Start by marking “Welcome to Your Life (Taking Chances #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Your Life (Taking Chances #1)

Welcome to Your Life

(Taking Chances #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
A month after breaking up with her high school sweetheart, Jake, Tonya discovers she’s pregnant. Pregnant and alone. But does she have to be alone? Should she tell Jake? The decision is out of her hands when he spots her at the mall and insists they get back together.

As Tonya struggles to adjust to working, attending classes at the local college, and pushing off Jake’s in
Published August 3rd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Your Life

Melissa_lifeinthebooks
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
This copy was received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This story was just a mess. The main character was annoying and so unrealistic. I didn’t feel like there was any struggle, Tonya was totally unrelatable to me. Given the situation that Tonya found herself in I was expecting more emotions and to see more of her struggle to come to terms with her pregnancy. I don’t even think there was a plot and all the unnecessary drama with Jake was just ridiculous. Overall I do think that th
Chrissy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017

What a beautifully written debut novel from Katrina Marie! Welcome To Your Life is a coming of age novel that deals with real life issues and follows the story of Tonya as she deals with graduating high school, finding out she’s pregnant, and moving forward with her life while dealing with her whole life changing around her. This story is sad, yet beautiful, and I couldn’t help but fall in love with the characters in this book!

A few weeks after graduating
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Let me first say that I am not in the demographic that this book is written for and that this is the author's first book. This is a story about teenage pregnancy. Tonya finds out she is pregnant the summer after graduation and she has previously broken up with the father of the baby. After finding out she is pregnant she still has no plan to reconcile with the father which is for the best as he is defintely not ready to be a husband or a father. Tonya goes to the local community college in the f ...more
Lauren AKA randomreader
I'm not one to throw one stars out like candy, but for this book, I had to be honest with myself and give it a one star, because this book is messy. It could have told an important story about teen pregnancy and the internal struggle that leaves not only the MC with, but the family. Instead we got a cheesy love story, that tried to tell a more important narrative, but instead it just fell flat.
The writing was just not to the level it needed to be at to get published, especially the dialogue.
Kahea
***3 Stars***

It’s taken me awhile to figure out just how I feel about this book and how to put it down into words. The first half of that equation I’ve come to terms with, the second is still in limbo, but I need to get it out of my head so we’re just gonna do a little verbal vomit-y thing and see what comes of it.

My issue is that while I did enjoy the book, it was an easy read to get through and low on angsty drama ~ which I was actually okay with ~ I still feel like I needed more from it bec
Elsie Caba
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange of a review. I usually don't pay attention to the reviews a book has before reading it and in this case I read them and I must admit I don't agree with most.

I really loved this story, maybe because I can relate to it, since I got pregnant with my daughter by my first boyfriend while I was 19. I also found true love in another person some years after.

I think the author focused on her life as a young adult while being pregnant, not the struggles of the pregnancy.
Victoria Colotta
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A wonderful debut filled with heart, quirk, and a bit of romance.

WELCOME TO YOUR LIFE is the debut novel for Katina Marie. This book has so many elements that I love in a new adult romance. It has all the feels, the emotions, the pivotal moments when the character struggles with what will be her next steps, and of course, a decent amount of Harry Potter/Buffy references. The last one is obviously the most important. 😘

For me, the real beauty of this book is with the
AC Squared Book Blog
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Just when I thought it couldn't get better, IT DID. This book, ugh, it was just so amazing. Poor Tonya thought her world had really started to change for the worse and she was swept off her feet by Reaf. This really made me wish I had a Reaf in my life, he's so amazing. This book had everything that someone could ever want in a book, it had an awkward situation, a great love story, some angst, happy moments, sad moments, it had it all. I really love how Katrina was able to turn a not so great si ...more
Fatinamudz
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second I read the synopsis I got hooked right away and yes, the author has made an amazing job written a beautiful story about a girl named Tonya who is pregnant and struggling in try to figure how to be strong for herself, for her study, work, putting trust on a new guy who enters her life. Life has never been easy for her when she has broken up with her high school boyfriend and right after that only she knows about her pregnancy.

So far, the plot is okay. I love how straight forward it get
Brandy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Welcome to Your Life is a great debut novel by Katrina Marie!

I really liked the main character, Tonya. i like the way she leans on her family for support during a hard time in her life. I like that although she is pregnant and trying to deal with that, she is able to stand by her best friend when she needed Tonya the most. She was able to stick to her guns and not fall for the lie that says that a baby’s mother and father have to be together for the sake of the baby. I really love that she was
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)
Welcome to Your Life is a well told story of teen pregnancy and all the emotions and struggles it brings to everyone involved. Tonya finds out she's pregnant after she graduates from high school. What makes it even harder is that she and her boyfriend had been broken up for awhile by the time she finds out.

As she struggles through pregnancy, she has to deal with hormones, not knowing how she'll be able to attend college and whether or not her ex is going to be a father to their baby. And then sh
Rose
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This copy was received via goodreads and the author in exchange for an honest review.

Usually, teen pregnancy books are set in high school but this one puts the main character, Tonya, pregnant right after graduation with college on the horizon. I found this a refreshing and interesting take.

Before she found out she was pregnant, Tonya broke it off with her boyfriend, Jake, who gets drunk and belittles her in front of everyone at parties.
"That's okay bitch, keep walking. Now I don't have to deal
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tonya and Jake are both it the situation of becoming parents at eighteen. With a turbulent relationship in their past, their baby with be brought up with split parents as Tonya wants and she has plenty of support from Cami, her best friend and her parents.

However in college she meets Reaf a guy in her art class and they hit it off, he wins her parents around and is super supportive over her decision to keep her baby. However, Jake returns from university and hates the idea of her dating someone
Crissy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
** I received a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**
I promised an honest review so here it is.....

Welcome to Your Life was a great debut novel. Breaking up is hard to do, but in this case it was best for Tonya because she deserved better than the way Jake treated her. Rafe was perfect in everyway; caring, considerate, loving and protective, respectful. He was everything Jake wasn't. Tonya had the most supportive parents and a really great best friend; I really liked Cami. I won
Shauntelle
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think my favorite thing about this book was the relationship between Tonya and Cami!! It was great to see the way Cami was determined to stick by her friend. I found both Jake and Tonya to be a little selfish. Jake's whole attitude just made me mad, and I didnt agree with Tonya about not telling him the news from the start. I was glad when Reaf came in the picture and things started falling into place. I will be looking forward to reading more from this author.
Noel
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story, is so relateable from the very start. I love how close to home it hits and doesn't hold back.
The writing honestly pulls you in and captivates you. Keeping you in the story.
I love how real all the emotions from everyone feel, and come out through the words.
I really like how her mom is there for her, from start to finish. But at the same time she tries to push her to not just sit around and hide from the world, but to get out there and still be young and do things, becaise she may have
Kniki
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good romance. It truly was a very well wrote book. I hope to see more by this author as I really enjoyed it.
Tonya was such a great character, I love that she did her best to give herself and 'Little Bean' everything they deserve.
And my oh my, Reaf just sounds like an incredible man that EVER woman dreams about!!
Alexis Krobatsch
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tonya is a sweet woman with a good head on her shoulders. With support from her parents she makes the tough decision to raise her baby on her own. She's dedicated, intelligent, and determined to make a good life for her and her child. Reaf is a true gentleman. Doesn't hurt that he's super attractive and thoughtful. The two of them coming together was a joy to experience.
Aurora (Whoo Gives A Hoot)
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
* Read more of my reviews at Whoo Gives A Hoot *
16779996_424694524540054_281417525_n
Review coming soon!
Amy
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay for me. I liked the characters well enough, but I struggled to really connect with them. At times this book seemed to drag and go nowhere, yet it also seemed to gloss over some real issues pregnant/teen moms face. All in all it was a decent story, it just fell a little short for me.
Shelly
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great debut book. It gives you a look at second chances. Tonya first has to decide if she wants to move on from her boyfriend. She breaks up with him and the finds out she is pregnant. Tonya has to make decisions about what kind of future she wants for her and her baby. She questions if she is doing the right thing or not. It was a quick and easy read that flowed easily.
Melanie Helms
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it!!

So i had heard amazing things about this book from all my book friends and boy, were they right! It was soooo good. It was a quick read for me since its less than 200 pages. I enjoyed all of the characters! Reaf has my heart tho. The man makes me swoon!! How he is with Tonya just warms my heart. He does treat her differently just because she's pregnant. He sees her for her. Jake i disliked from the beginning with his attitude and everything. The jerk. And Cami, goodness, i love that gi
Lenda Burns
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a way to start with a debut novel!
This story has emotions, love and humor.
I loved the characters and the plot.
Can't wait for next one.
Jennifer Richey
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story

When a just graduated high school student finds herself pregnant and she breaks up with her boyfriend what is she supposed to do know! She than meets another guy and ends up changing her world in a good way! Amazing book loved it!
Janey Calypso
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is again a debut novel but it is good! I won't know it is her first novel just by reading it. This revolves on a girl who focuses on what she must do instead even if she's a single mom, a teenage single mom. The personality is so strong! She helped herself get up! and like her, I won't stay with someone just because he is the father of the baby. This is empowering. Great first book for Katrina!
Pat
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I got an arc to do a honest review
Cassey
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I found myself referring back to days when I was a friends "Cami."

Tonya finds after graduation that her boyfriend Jake isn't a great boyfriend. He is a complete jerk, so she ends the relationship. Later in the in the summer she discovers she is pregnant. Since she has very supportive and loving family and friends, she doesn't have as many of the struggles that teen moms have. She gets a part time job, goes to community college, and doesn't let an unplanned pregnancy overturn
Kristina Simkins
Katrina done a fantastic job with this one. I really enjoyed reading about Tonya, Jake, and Reaf. Welcome to Your Life is written really well and is easy to follow.

Tonya breaker up with her boyfriend of two years on the night of her high school graduation, only to find out she is pregnant a couple of weeks later. Her plans for the future change in seconds with the results of a pregnancy test, but who said that it was a bad thing. Her staying home to go to college in preparation of being a mothe
Stephanie Kaye (In Wonderland)
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on In Wonderland My Thoughts

Welcome to Your Life was a lovely read and I'm not just saying that because the author is one of my dear friends. I'm saying that because it really was a lovely read.

I loved Tonya, the main character. I loved her so much. Tonya decides to break up her relationship with her high school boyfriend Jake. And thank goodness, because he is a real class-A jackass. And then she finds out that she's pregnant with his baby. But even though she

Himanish Prabhakar
My review is 3.75 stars.

I received this copy for an honest review & I would like to thank you, Katrina, for providing me with the book. This book belongs to YA genre. The ending of teenage life. The common problems, mistake of the life between teenage years and young adult years. As this is the first book by the author, I would say she did a beautiful job with her debut book. She tried her best to tell everybody she has arrived and she did.

When I started this book, to be honest, the story li
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Katrina Marie lives in the Dallas area with her husband, two children, and fur baby. She is a lover of all things geeky and Gryffindor for life. When she’s not writing you can find her at her children’s sporting events, or curled up reading a book.

Taking Chances (4 books)
  • Cruel and Beautiful World (Taking Chances #2)
  • Ways to Go (Taking Chances #3)
  • Remember That Night