Start by marking “The Wren Hunt (The Wren Hunt, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wren Hunt (The Wren Hunt, #1)

The Wren Hunt

(The Wren Hunt #1)

Every Christmas, Wren is chased through the woods near her isolated village by her family's enemies—the Judges—and there’s nothing that she can do to stop it. Once her people, the Augurs, controlled a powerful magic. But now that power lies with the Judges, who are set on destroying her kind for good.

In a desperate bid to save her family, Wren takes a dangerous undercover
Published November 6th 2018 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published February 8th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Wren Hunt, please sign up.
Mary There is a follow-up/companion book that should be out early 2019. It's not from Wren's perspective as I felt she's told her story (for now). Instead…moreThere is a follow-up/companion book that should be out early 2019. It's not from Wren's perspective as I felt she's told her story (for now). Instead it follows two main characters - one we've met and one we haven't. I'll talk more about it when I've completed the edits, so keep an eye on Twitter if you want to know more. (less)

Jasmine from How Useful It Is
My Experience: I started reading The Wren Hunt on 7/30/18 and finished it on 8/8/18. This book is fantastic! I like the Ask and its unique rituals to make a fair decision. I like following Wren’s point of view. She’s a quick thinker under stressful situations. I like the slow burning forbidden romance and their flirts makes me smile. I like the mystery and secrets. I like the centuries old stories set in Ireland, especially the meadowsweet. The talks of arts, flowers, puzzles, and gardens are in ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m never going to be able to accurately describe this book. It’s so unique and different from everything else out there. I feel like it’ll be a divisive read, but I really enjoyed my time reading it. It had the creepy magical atmosphere I absolutely love to find in books.
Mel (Epic Reading)
I really wanted The Wren Hunt to be more than it is. Mary Watson has given us a simple, yet complex enough society set-up that stems from types of magic. Except that there isn't much magic left in the world, but the social structure remains the same. The opening chapter was perhaps the type of dark, creepiness I was hoping for but unfortunately it did not remain throughout.

Pimped out
The best way I can think of to describe what happens to our main gal is that she is 'pimped out' and her family p
Sara
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wren is being hunted by the people who hate her the most - the Judges. Bound every year to be chased, Wren faces the difficult decision to undertake an undercover assignment to change her families fate.

The opening scenes were very confusing. Nothing is really explained at first, meaning for a good 30% of the books opening I had no clue about what was going on and what kind of world I was in. Was it contemporary? Dystopian? Or a mi
Liz Barnsley
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

I loved The Wren Hunt because it was genuinely different to anything I had read before and written so beautifully that occasionally the prose practically sang an aria.

The story itself was highly immersive – beginning with a chase and developing into a deep seated mythology that was beautifully layered and highly engaging. we follow Wren as she infiltrates the enemy camp so to speak in an attempt to steal the one thing that can save her family.

The Wren Hunt is a very surreal read in
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 4.5 stars

This is a very "me" book. Kinda bizarre but also cool, aspects of fabulism, trees and nature lore, Irish myth, slightly dark and creepy and doesn't always entirely make logical sense but that adds to atmosphere instead of being weird af.

Anyway, so at first this book opens up with a group of boys chasing the heroine which they apparently do every year in a twisted imitation of tradition. The heroine is an "augur" and the boys are "judges" (these are rival groups of magical people FYI)
ambsreads
thanks Bloomsbury Australia for sending me a review copy of The Wren Hunt in exchange for a review. All thoughts are my own

FIND MY REVIEW FOR THE WREN HUNT BY MARY WATSON ON MY BLOG @ AMBSREADS

The Wren Hunt was a book I was pretty excited for. Unfortunately, I hadn’t read the blurb and had no idea what this book was about. Or maybe I had and my view simply got warped way off track of what this book actually is about. The Wren Hunt is a book full of mystery and magic, set in an urban environment.
Kelly
4.5 stars!

If I had to pick five words to describe this book it would be these:

Gorgeous. Lyrical. Magical. Unique. Enchanting.

The Wren Hunt took me a little while to get into and I’ll happily admit that I read the first few chapters and really didn’t have a clue what on Earth was going on. (So if you do pick this up and feel the same, trust me when I say you should push on through because it will be worth it.) But it didn’t take long until I realised I was finding it hard to put this book down. T
Rae
The Wren Hunt by Mary Watson is a magical story about two groups of people, the Augurs and Judges, who battle for power in Ireland. Wren, raised and loved by a family of Augurs, is caught in the middle of a game she doesn’t fully understand.

This book was a mixed bag for me. On one hand, it was entertaining. The pacing was good, and it had enough interesting elements to keep me fully engaged. On the other hand, I felt like so much didn’t get explained. I was left with so many questions and things
Karen ⊰✿
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, uno_2018
You know those books that seem to sound like something you would be interested in, and then you start reading and just feel like something is completely missing? That is The Wren Hunt for me.
The start is really confusing and I couldn't actually work out what was happening. Even by 30% I still wasn't engaged with the story and found it really difficult to keep reading.

I've seen so many positive reviews and so I am really glad this book obviously resonates with people. For me I just didn't really
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 5-stars
This is the kind of book that you read, and then immediately want to reread because there's so much more that you could take in. I can't even believe how much I enjoyed it; it was sort of touch and go at the beginning because I had no idea what the heck was happening, but after about 15%? I was fucking gripped, my god.

The Plot

Wren is an Augur, a once-powerful people who used to control a powerful kind of magic; but that power was taken from them by the Judges, who are determined to bring about t
Lena (The Printed Girl)
This book is not something I read before and I loved it. It has many magical realism elements but still has such a romantic feel that it doesn't completely fit that genre. It just was an amazing book and I hope I'll read many more books like this one in 2018!

The overall story was great! The ending came as a complete surprise for me. I never expected things to end like they did! It was all so original and creative. The magic was what took this book from being a good book to being a great book.

Som
The Nerd Daily
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

Wren hates Christmas time. Every year she gets “hunted” down by the boys that live in her Irish village because of her name. However, there’s a deeper meaning to their hunt. You see, Wren is an Augur—a group of people who are able to discern patterns in order to use their talents. However, Wren’s people remain in hiding because of the Judges, people similar to the Augurs, but whose talents lie within nature itself. The Judges ha
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from Bloomsbury Publishing in excahnge for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

I have to admit I was a little scared to start The Wren Hunt – being chased through the forest by a bunch of guys as a “game” was terrifying to me haha. I am a complete chicken; I cannot do scary.

However, thank goodness – it wasn’t as terrifying as I had imagined it was going to be.

The synopsis of this novel is not wrong when it says there is a web of deceit – it was spun so well,
Kirsti
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an odd one for me. I read the first 100 or so pages about a week ago, couldn't get into it and almost gave up. I decided to give it a go after DNFing another book this week, and I still didn't really get into or end up liking this one. It wasn't bad exactly, it was just so vague that I really don't know what I read or why anything happened, or even what was important. I don't really know what any of the characters achieved so I'm just left with a jumbled mess of confusion at the end.

Thi
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Trigger warning for physical and psychological abuse of the main character by a group of young men.

I think I want to rate this 4.5 stars? But I'm not sure? My head is such a mess right now!

Basically, this book was one giant mindfuck. At first, that wasn't in a good way, as there was a bit too much detail on the world and druid culture without explanation. I felt lost and confused for a while. BUT THEN... it all very slowly started coming together, and I realised I was being played by the author.
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
The Wren Hunt follows, well, Wren as she navigates subterfuge, magic and increasingly fracturing loyalties.

Wren is an augur, one of the draoithe, but the sources of the augur’s magic are losing their strength and the judges are tightening their hold on the nemeta that are left. If the judges have their way there will be no augurs left. It is Wren that is sent to infiltrate judge headquarters to find the map that will lead the augurs to the stones necessary to complete the Daragishka Knot but lit
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
I’m mostly just...so confused.
Mavis Ros
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprised Thriller of the Year.

The Wren Hunt is the type of book that you would not want to read by so quickly. I highly doubt that this is a book that everyone would love and enjoy. Considering that it can easily be “dnfed” if readers can’t survive within the first hundred pages of its info dump.
Kelly
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating- 3.75 stars, because I'm awkward and couldn't quite decide on 3.5 or 4 stars.

The premise of the story really interested me. It starts off on Wren Day/St Stephens Day which is the 26th December. Wren is our main character whom represents the wren of the above celebrated day.

I'm going to try and put this into a list of positives and negatives where I can, because I've left this review a couple of days and I'm still not sure how I feel about the book. I enjoyed it, but part of me is
S.A. Partridge
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Wren Hunt, which draws heavily on Irish myth, begins on St Stephen’s Day – the traditional day of the wren, when masked boys chase a symbolic fake wren and are allowed to play tricks on their friends. Watson's protagonist, Wren, finds herself chased by such masked boys, but instead of being innocent fun, this hunt ends in violence, leaving Wren rattled and the boys’ tempers woken.

Wren lives with her grandfather in the small Irish village of Kilshamble. They are augurs, or seers, able to read
Amy
My blog: A Magical World Of Words

4.5 stars.

(Thank you so much to Jonathan Ball SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.)

Wow. Wow. Wow. In all my life I have never read a book like this one. To say it's left an impression on me is an understatement. I just can't stop thinking about it.
Please, please read it.

The writing is exceptional. It's literal magic - raw talent running with dark imagination. Watson is an incredible writer, and I can't get enough of her stunning, tangib
Nikki
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publishers via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.
Oh wow. This was just not what I expected at all. And it is amazing. Fully deserving of the 4.5 stars I’m giving it.
It’s a relatively slow book, but in a good way, as you learn things along with Wren and are never sure who’s lying and manipulating or what the truth is. The story behind the judges and the augurs takes a while to take shape, but that is amazing too. The only thing I didn’t really get was the
Kerran Olson
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3.5/4* I was a little confused towards the beginning of the Wren Hunt because at first I thoughy it was a more historical tale, it definitely has a kind of folk-tale vibe and just the setting of the woods and the characters descriptions had me picturing a quaint historical village. And then there were phones and heroin addiction and modern pop culture references so that surprised me a bit. Once I got used to that I really enjoyed the book, I liked Wren and I found the premise quite unique. I lov ...more
Kathleen
Was niet helemaal wat ik ervan verwacht had...
Lauren Chamberlin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
2.5

I really enjoyed the mystery and intrigue that surrounded this world. I was constantly guessing and wondering the intentions of all the characters and that is a really nice aspect to a book. The Irish mythology was all around enjoying too. I’d never really read anything with their mythology before, so it was interesting to read about.
My main issue was that I wasn’t invested in the characters and story. Loving a character is such an imperative aspect to my enjoyment of a novel, and I just did
All Things Urban Fantasy
THE WREN HUNT'S premise intrigued me. The comparison to Maggie Stiefvater and Holly Black's writing proved promising as I've generally enjoyed their work. With a female protagonist and an interesting new world, THE WREN HUNT checked all the boxes to be a mesmerizing standalone.

Unfortunately the world building is practically non-existent. Fifty pages in, I had no clear idea of the rules of Wren's world, or what the judges and augurs actually were, or why they were fighting. At first I imagined th
Siobhan Bejr
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I thought the Wren Hunt overall was a good book and had an enjoyable story line.
I wasn't impressed with the beginning of the book. I couldn't understand what was going on, whether it was historical fiction, mythical, plain fiction or fantasy. I first thought it was a little historical fantasy with the names of the groups and everything else but then Wren revealed her Mum was a heroin addict and I was just so confused.
After reading the whole book, I still don't understand
Francesca
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid YA debut, alas it really didn't work for me.
Elizabeth
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tl;dr: A fresh, exciting contemporary/historical fantasy novel aimed at young adults but good for adults as well.

The Wren Hunt is so good! The first few chapters might be a bit confusing for those unfamiliar with Irish/Celtic mythology as Ms. Watson starts the novel with a (literal) chase and doesn't let up the pace at all-- rather than going for the typical " here's all the info!" dump found in so many fantasy novels, you're left, much like Wren, the mc is, to figure it all out.

The writing is l
  • The Princess of Cortova (The Silver Bowl, #3)
  • All the Little Bones (Circus Hearts, #1)
  • Jinxed (Book 1)
  • Girl in the Window
  • A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars
  • V for Violet
  • Red
  • Perry's Killer Playlist (Perry & Gobi, #2)
  • The Twisted Tree
  • The Hidden Princess (Hidden Among Us #2)
  • Orangeboy
If you'd like to get in touch, find me on Instagram @stonemadonna or through my website.

The Wren Hunt (2 books)
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
“There would be consequences, I knew that. There were always consequences, usually teeny tiny consequences that you hardly noticed. But the small things added up over time, until eventually they formed one big thing that could crush you beneath its weight.” 1 likes
“We were always told: when something repeats, it gains significance. This is how a pattern is formed. And it felt like something was forming around me. Like I was being woven into something and couldn't work my way out.” 0 likes