Start by marking “And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic #2)” as Want to Read:
And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic #2)

And Fire Came Down

(Caleb Zelic #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  506 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Deaf since early childhood, Caleb Zelic is used to meeting life head-on. Now, he’s struggling just to get through the day. His best mate is dead, his ex-wife, Kat, is avoiding him, and nightmares haunt his waking hours.

But when a young woman is killed, after pleading for his help in sign language, Caleb is determined to find out who she was. The trail leads Caleb back to h
Published August 1st 2017 by Bonnier Publishing Australia

To ask other readers questions about And Fire Came Down, please sign up.
Kaye It's set in Australia. There are characters of both European and indigenous descent.

really liked it 4.00  ·

Tucker
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For everyone who has been anxiously awaiting the sequel to "Resurrection Bay” by Emma Viskic, it’s here! For readers new to Emma Viskic, she’s an author not to be missed. In “And Fire Came Down” a young woman comes to severely hearing impaired insurance investigator Caleb Zelic for help. She is killed before he even knows why she’s there and he’s determined to find out who she was and what happened. His business is struggling, his life is in shambles, and he’s an emotional wreck following the ev ...more
PattyMacDotComma
“Caleb followed him, then stopped. It was a place of deep shadows and hidden corners – he wouldn’t be able to understand a word Sniffy said; wouldn’t know if someone was creeping up behind him, ready to slip a knife between his ribs.”

Second in the Caleb Zelic series and Caleb is still no better at telling people he’s deaf. He’s also still chasing bad guys back home in Resurrection Bay, although that’s not home to him anymore. His younger brother, Anton, had gone badly off the rails some years
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
This is the sequel to Resurrection Bay which really needs to be read first in order to get a full understanding of events in And Fire Came Down.

Caleb now lives in Melbourne but returns to Resurrection Bay to try and discover the murderer of a woman he meets in the city. In the course of the book he unknowingly upsets a number of people and blunders into many dangerous situations. Luckily for him he has family and friends who look out for him and save him from himself.

I enjoyed the Australian se
Brenda
Caleb Zelic’s life changed the instant the young woman begged desperately for his help – but his inability to save her buried itself deep into his brain, especially as it wasn’t that long since the horrors that had killed his best mate and took his beloved wife from him. Caleb left Melbourne and drove to his hometown of Resurrection Bay in the hope of finding answers. But worse was to come – much worse…

Ant, Caleb’s brother, had been clean for two years and had a lovely young woman in his life. C
Carolyn
Caleb Zelic is back in Melbourne trying to put his life back on track. His best friend Gary is dead, his ex-wife has vanished after a brief reconciliation and his business partner Frankie has fled leaving him to run his investigation service on his own. When he is summoned into an alley where a distraught young woman is waiting for him, but before he can find out what the problem is, a big blond thug chases after her, forcing her into the traffic where she is fatally hit by a car. She tries to t ...more
Brenda
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Caleb Zelic series, and it carries on after the events in Resurrection Bay. It will make more sense to the reader if Resurrection Bay is read first.

I really like Caleb (Cal). He’s deaf and, as I said in my review of the first book, the author has done a fantastic job writing the experience of a deaf person. I especially like the dialogue when Cal is with his brother Anton (Ant). They do have their differences, but the love between brothers is always there.

The book
Nat K
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“It’s not over, none of it’s over.”

Trouble seems to find Caleb Zelic. This book is much darker that its predecessor “Resurrection Bay”.

After the events of the first book, you’d think that Cal would be left in peace and quiet to lick his wounds. Both his wife and business partner have gone AWOL, and Cal is still trying to set his life back on track, to return to some sense of normality. However an innocent late afternoon jog finds Cal unwittingly embroiled in a case that’s best left alone…

As
Michael
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ozzie-gems
Having not read the author's debut novel, Resurrection Bay, I went into this book not sure on what to expect. Firstly we have a character that is for me at least, being deaf, in Caleb Zelic and intriguing proposition. Secondly, we have a small town indigenous population as one of the stories main themes with their closeness and desire to gain control of their lives.

Zelic is someone who has a tendency to over analyze things and is like a dog with a bone, no matter how much it gets him into troubl
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww, own
My View:
The continuing narrative of the chaotic life of Caleb Zelic, private investigator, is filled with suspense, mystery, anger, social commentary wit, humour and many exquisite moments. This is a portrait of a fractured love, a fractured life with many references to Picasso’s Guernica; violence, chaos, war, flames…the suffering of innocents.

The writing is evocative and fast paced. Themes of family, drug reliance, race and identity intersect and explode in small town contemporary Australia. T
Kathleen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 2nd offering in the Caleb Zelic private detective series. Viskic won a Ned Kelly for Resurrection Bay, the first book featuring her hearing-impaired investigator. Here, a woman accosts him on the street and seems to be seeking his help. But before he can fully understand what she is saying, two people chase her into traffic—she is hit and dies as Caleb tries to save her. Her wounded eyes haunt him. It makes him determined to find out what she wanted and who caused her to die.

In the m
Jenny
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And Fire Came Down is book two in the Caleb Zelic series by Emma Viskic. One day a young woman asked Caleb Zelic for help in sign language but died before Caleb could find out her name. After the young woman died, Caleb was determined to find out who she was and why she died. The readers of And Fire Came Down will continue to follow Caleb Zelic investigation.

And Fire Came Down is the first book I have read by Emma Viskic, and I did enjoy it. I love that Emma Viskic made her main character have a
Bianca
And Fire Came Down finds Caleb Zelic recovering from his previous exploits, still suffering nightmares and not really looking after himself. He's in a lot of pain, most of it emotional. Being a man, he doesn't do anything about it, unless you count avoidance and dismissing emotions and thoughts as doing something.

The love of his life, Kat, is in and out of contact. Their relationship is complicated. At least his relationship with his former drug addict brother, Anton, is going well.

This time, Ca
Sue
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb Zelic returns in the second book from Emma Viskic, a very promising Australian noir mystery novel that fronts an investigator severely hard of hearing due to a childhood illness, with various chips on his shoulder and many unresolved issues. But he does want to help people, especially when a young woman is killed virtually in front of him.

So that’s the set up for And Fire Came Down. So much happens that the story pulls you along. And the reader’s knowledge is most often the same as Caleb’
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I received a copy of And Fire Came Down from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5

And Fire Came Down is the second book in the Caleb Zelic series by Emma Viskic. I’ve not read the first book in the series, Resurrection Bay, and that may have been a mistake - especially when it comes to understanding past events and fully appreciating the characters. I feel I would have understood the motivations of some of the supporting characters like Caleb’s former partner, Frankie, and his policeman
Marianne
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And Fire Came Down is the second Caleb Zelic thriller by award-winning Australian author, Emma Viskic. Out for a run in the Melbourne dusk, Caleb Zelic is accosted by a dubious type who, knowing his name and address, manages to draw him to a dark alley where a jittery young woman waits. It seems she wants his help, but a sudden attack by a tattooed tough has her fleeing before he can find out why. Caleb follows, but watches in horror as her flight takes her into the path of a van. Her dying word ...more
Noelle
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I have to say a HUGE thanks to Pushkin Press for providing me with a copy of this novel. I absolutely LOVED Resurrection Bay and was thrilled to catch up with Caleb Zelic in the next book of this amazing series. If you are interested in my review of Resurrection Bay, click HERE.

We’re back in Australia: Melbourne and Resurrection Bay for the second book in this fantastic series – have I already said how great it is? Because it bloody well is! The reader is faced with so many different thing
Liz Barnsley
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pitch perfect follow up to the brilliant Resurrection Bay, Caleb is back and I for one am extremely happy about it. Read in one sitting, incredibly addictive and an emotional and multi layered story. Loved it. I'm on such a good book roll at the moment. Next?
Full review to follow.
Kate Forsyth
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2018, australian, crime
A contemporary crime novel set in Australia, and featuring a hearing-impaired private investigator, And Fire Came Down by Emma Viskic is bold, fresh, original, and achingly real.

I bought her book after putting out a call on Facebook for some great crime recommendations. Emma Viksic’s name was mentioned several times and so, seeing this novel while browsing in a bookstore, I grabbed it.

It’s the second in a series, with the first book Resurrection Bay winning a swathe of awards including the Ned
Hazel Edwards
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having enjoyed 'Resurrection Bay' the earlier Caleb Zelic mystery, there's an unexpected pleasure in finding the sequel 'And the Fire Came Down' is even better. Tighter. And the character revelation is sustained across the whole story. Like Caleb's dislike of using his hearing aids or admitting he misses crucial facts when his suspects mumble or turn away so he can't lipread. The dialogue which flows in hilarious scenes is a delight, with sub-text. Definitely filmic material. With a plot twist ...more
Calzean
This is a great follow on novel from Resurrection Bay. Caleb is dealing with the trauma of his last case, his wife Kate has left him, his business is doing badly and a young woman who turns up looking for him is soon dead.
There is plenty of mystery, storylines that build and build, very bad bad men and women, the scourge of ice and newer chemicals of recreational use, racism, and the local Aboriginal settlement dealing with violent attacks.
Caleb's deafness is a great character trait, the darknes
Kasa Cotugno
Even more twisty than its predecessor, Resurrection Bay, this complicated thriller featuring Caleb Zelic keeps you guessing until the finale. Admittedly, I am more than unusually partial to fiction from Down Under and its similarity to US/Brit fiction, but with this one the racial ironies are even more prevalent. Australia and the US share so much, but are 180 degrees apart in many respects. Emma Viskic has created a fully realized world in only two novels that I hope she continues for many more ...more
Deborah
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I am one of the few book-lovers who has not read Emma Viskic’s award-winning Resurrection Bay. But… because I knew its predecessor was so well-received I jumped at the chance to read Viskic’s second book, And Fire Came Down, without realising it was a sequel, and – in retrospect – it might have made sense to start at the beginning.

I suspect I might have been more engaged with some of the peripheral characters (Caleb’s wife Kat, his former partner Frankie, helpful cop-friend Tedesco and brother A
Cass Moriarty
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emma Viskic’s much anticipated novel And Fire Came Down (Echo Bonnier Publishing Australia 2017), the second in the Caleb Zelic series, couldn’t come soon enough for many of us who were captivated by her debut novel Resurrection Bay, which introduced us to a cast of complex characters, and made a clean sweep of the crime awards last year. The sequel is another fast-paced, page-turning thriller that builds on the lives of individuals, families and communities prefaced in the first book, and prese ...more
Anne Fenn
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
A fantastic sequel to Resurrection Bay. Full of violence, how Caleb walks around at the end is beyond me - he's experienced every type of violence possible. (That's not a spoiler, it's what you expect with this character.) One of the best things in this series is the main character's deafness. It's incorporated into the plot so well - it adds to his identity, is linked to plot development, and it's depicted in such an ear and eye opening way for the common reader. This modern Australian crime se ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Pushkin Press for an advance copy of And Fire Came Down, the second novel to feature PI Caleb Zelic, set in Melbourne and his small hometown of Resurrection Bay.

Caleb is out running in Melbourne when a vagrant accosts him with a note with his name and address on it and ushers him into an alley where a woman unknown to him signs to him and asks for help but before he can do anything her pursuer chases her out into the street and into the path of a car. Without
Hannelore Cheney
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Bonnier Publishing Australia for the eARC.
Caleb Zelic (in this 2nd book in the series after Resurrection Bay, which won the Ned Kelly Award for Best First Fiction), is still reeling from the past year's horrifying events, when he stumbles on a terrified young woman, who asks for his help. Fleeing from a man who's obviously out to harm her, she's killed while running into the street.
This is the start of Caleb's obsessive search for the why's and wherefores of the girl's d
Sue
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book. A great follow up to her debut novel. The story picks up from the first book and let's us know what happened following the devastating events of last time. The author gets it all so right.....evocatively describing the Australian bush, the tempo is kept up with lots of twists and she nails the Aussie vernacular so well that it had me laughing out loud at times in recognition! I can't wait for the next one to find out if Caleb and Kat get back together, if Ant reall ...more
Karen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emma Viskic explores difference, and its consequences, in this sequel to Resurrection Bay. Reviewed at Newtown Review of Books
Deborah
Terrific novel. Like the first Caleb Zelic book, Resurrection Bay, this second one has a well-woven plot, great character development, strong social commentary, gripping mystery/crime/thriller elements, flashes of wry humour, and touching moments that made me teary...
I started this a few weeks ago then stopped after a chapter or two, fearing it would be as gut-wrenching as the first. When I started again, I finished it in a day. It certainly was suspenseful, and Caleb was having a harrowing time
Liz Mc2
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Maybe 3.5 stars. I enjoyed this follow up to Resurrection Bay, despite the fact that it’s more violent than I usually enjoy. The characters, particularly Caleb and his brother in this one, are interesting. Caleb’s deafness seems thoughtfully portrayed—while he has trouble admitting it to people or asking for help, I think that is well explained by his family history, as is his difficulty dealing with his feelings and the trauma resulting from events in the first book of the series.

I did get frus
  • Under the Cold Bright Lights
  • Ash Island (The Belltree Trilogy, #2)
  • Beams Falling
  • The Portrait of Molly Dean
  • The Passage of Love
  • Preservation
  • Marlborough Man
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • An Iron Rose
  • Bloodtree River
  • The Second Cure
  • Catching Teller Crow
  • Ghost River
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • Maurice Guest
  • An Isolated Incident
Emma Viskic is a classical clarinettist and author of the critically acclaimed Caleb Zelic series. Her musical career has ranged from performing with José Carreras and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, to playing at an engagement party that ended in a brawl.

Emma’s debut novel, RESURRECTION BAY, won the 2016 Ned Kelly Award for Best First Fiction, as well as an unprecedented three Davitt Awards: Best Adult Nov

Caleb Zelic (2 books)
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)