Start by marking “The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)

The Blood Spell

(Ravenspire #4)

Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the magic in her blood and continue trying to turn metal into gold so she can help her city’s homeless. But when her father is murdered and a cruel but powerful woman claims custody of Blue and her property, one wrong move could expose her—and doom her once and for all. The only one who can help? The boy she’s loathed since childh ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Spell, please sign up.
C.J. It's a stand alone. You can read this series in any order, though there are cameos and Easter eggs if you choose to read in order. …moreIt's a stand alone. You can read this series in any order, though there are cameos and Easter eggs if you choose to read in order. (less)

Start your review of The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)
C.J.
Jun 20, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book Four! I'm so excited to be able to keep writing dark epic fantasies inspired by fairy tales. I grew up in a public library, checking out at least one volume of fairy tales every week, so this series feels like coming home. <3 ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy Read With For Love Of A Book 💕🖤🐶🐺🐾

Omg! I love this book!!

As the gray-black light within the forest sank into the total darkness of yet another night, the wraith stalked the edges of the vast prison, hurling itself against the invisible spell that bound it here, feeling the magic spark, blister and burn.

One day, it would break free. It would rush over the hills and move through the long stretches of farmland that stood between it abd the city. It would find its sister and those wh
monica kim
May 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.6 ⭐️ this was such a lovely and fun read - a cozy, romantic and optimistic fantasy inspired by cinderella. i didnt realize it was part of a series until i already started, but this def is fine as a standalone.
Alexa
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

THE BLOOD SPELL was utterly enjoyable! It’s a well-done YA spin on Cinderella, and I enjoyed every second I spent reading it. Blue and Kellan were truly wonderful characters to follow, and I’m so happy with how their story plays out!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Blue loves doing alchemy with her father in their shop even if it means having to hide the magic in her blood. When she falls into the hands of a cruel and powerful woman she turns to an unexpected ally... the boy she’s loathed since childhood: Prince Kellan.

The short review...

So I see this really compelling title... The Blood Spell... ooooh what is this?! Sounds intriguing... Oh no! It's number 4 in a series... YAY! It's a companion story, a s
Stacee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it

I’ve enjoyed all of CJ’s books, so I don’t even read the synopsis any longer. It was a bit of a surprise to see this was Cinderella.

I loved Blue and Kellan. I loved their history and that they fought so much. I loved how good they were and how loyal they were. I especially enjoined their confusion when the feelings started to change; that may have been the best part. I also really liked Nessa and could easily read a book about her.

Plot wise it was good and boring at the same time. I t
Tricia Mingerink
I didn't really click with The Shadow Queen, the first of hers I read. I think that had more to do with me not being in the right mood for a YA fantasy fairy tale retelling than anything to do with the book (well, except for the fact that my favorite character was killed off. Not that I'm at all bitter about that...)

But when I saw this author was releasing a Cinderella retelling, I knew I would have to pick this series back up. And I'm so glad I did!

The romance in this one is adorable! And ver
Colleen Houck
Loved this take on the Cinderella story. I was so wrapped up in the story that it didn't even feel like Cinderella at all until the slipper at the very end. Really well done! Loved this whole series and wish there were more books coming! ...more
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I am such a fan of the Ravenspire series.  This may be my favorite one so far, but I'm still trying to decide.   I liked everything about it.  I'm a sucker for a fairytale retelling.

You don't need to read each book in order for the Ravenspire series, but it is best if you do.  There are appearances and mentions of characters from other books.  We do see Hansel and Gretel for a brief moment in this one.

There are multiple things from Cinderella, but for the most part, the story is very differen
Bon
If The Bachelor had deadly consequences for losing contenders, magical intrigue around every corner, and legit badass lady villains and heroines, it'd be this book. Just enough squee-ey, romantic moments too. ...more
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
The Blood Spell by C.J. Redwine

Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Disclaimer: The amazing humans at HarperCollins Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of The Blood Spell in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“It was useless wasting your time wishing for what you didn’t have instead of using what you did.”

Technically, this book is the fourth in a series, but you can read each book as a standalone – though, it appears there are Easter eggs in each tying them all together.

The Blood Spell is a loose rete
Caylynn
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-release
4.5/5 stars
The kingdom needed a girl full of poison and reckless courage.

It's official. C.J. Redwine is now on my "auto-buy author's" list. Because god DAMN this woman knows how to write.

It's so strange how each of her novels has a similar formula and cast of characters, but the three out of four books I've binged so far ALL have different feelings to them .

In The Blood Spell, we follow our two protagonists Blue and Kellan in an incredibly unique twist on Cinderella. Blue and her father
Andy
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
4.5/5

My favorite of the series!! The Blood Spell is a Cinderella retelling and I'm definitely adding it to my collection of favorite retellings! Blue de la Cour is an alchemist with a dangerous secret, she has magic in her blood. She mainly uses her magic to aid her in making her alchemical potions which are healing in nature. When her father dies, Blue and her home suddenly become property of an ambitious councilwoman with suspicious motives. The only person who may be able to help her is Crow
Erin Arkin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Blood Spell is the fourth book in the Ravenspire series by C.J. Redwine and while I love all of these books, this one might be my favorite. It has everything I look for in a book, an interesting plot, great characters, and some swoony bits that make me sigh. One thing to note is that all of these books have different main characters so if you haven’t read the others (WHAT???) you can still read this one without missing a beat.

Blue de la Cour is the main character. She’s smart and strong and
Shelley
*Source* Publisher via Edelweiss
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Blood Spell is the fourth installment in author C.J. Redwine's Ravenspire series. A series that has seen different lead characters in all four installments. A series that is more likely than not to be a retelling of classic fairy tale. In this case, the retelling of Cinderella takes a curious and enjoyable twist with 17-year old Bernadine de la Cour, Blue to her friends as the would be Cinderella, while Kellan
Hailey Hudson
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t have words to explain how much I loved this book—a Cinderella retelling with murderous rogue witches, sign language representation, a reckless prince, and magic and alchemy. I read the first few chapters of this one night and thought about it the whole next day. I can see, hear, smell, and taste the world so clearly. I adore Blue and Kellan’s prickly-to-sweet relationship. I love Grand-mere, and all the fast-paced plot twists near the end, and literally everything about the world. Also t ...more
Princess
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this from Balzer + Bray(HarperCollins) and Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.
If you have never read a book by C.J. read one now! Every book I read I adore more than the last. This book was amazing. I absolutely adored Blue and Kellen. I rooted for them so hard and he was so sweet. Cinderella had nothing on this story. From the evil foster mother to the carriage and mice, this was perfection.
helenaaa ✨
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. i just didn’t like it for some reason.
Kathleen
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5
Megan
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good fairytale retelling with good diversity. I wish she had some lgbtq+ diversity as well but an overall enjoyable read. Worth reading! 4 stars
Steff Fox
| Reader Fox Blog |

Do you ever read a book that has a lot of potential and doesn't really fail but doesn't really succeed, either? This is how I feel about The Blood Spell by C. J. Redwing. I'm not sure if this book tried to do too much at one time or if it was simply not executed as well as it could have been. And yet, I did genuinely enjoy reading it.

The Blood Spell is a Cinderella retelling with quite the twist, telling the story of a young girl called Blue who works as an apothecary whi
Madison
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Blood Spell is the fourth book in C.J. Redwine’s series of fairytale retellings. As she has with each of the three previous instalments, The Blood Spell is a wonderful fantasy novel in its own right with threads of the familiar fairytale cleverly woven through the plot to create a unique and thrilling tale.

Blue (love her name) de la Cour is an alchemist, working alongside her father to make potions and tonics to heal the people of Falaise de la Mer. But Blue longs to do more, especially for
Amanda
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah I love this series!!!
Full review to come!
Drew
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wish Granter has been my favorite book set in this universe... until now. The Blood Spell goes above and beyond. This retelling of Cinderella was absolutely amazing. Like most of Redwine's retellings, she takes the classic Cinderella story and creates a brand new version with her own unique spin. For those that love the original, the basic outline is still there and the famous slippers still make an appearance.

Redwine's books were already great, but she keeps getting better and better! Can'
Jenny Jo Weir
Can we talk about how incredibly awesome this author is? I mean, seriously! To deliver such awesome stories consistently takes a lot of talent and creativity! I’m super impressed by each new book and am loving every single one. I am already dying for the next one and can’t wait for it. This one was awesome! I loved BOTH lead characters and the whole intricate plot. I highly recommend to any fantasy/YA fans out there.
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Overall: 4.5/5 Stars
Characters: 4/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 4/5
Awesomeness Factor: 4.5/5
Review in a Nutshell: The Blood Spell is a fun, adorable Cinderella retelling with lots of heart, although it isn’t my favorite C. J. Redwine book.

”Grief was easier to bear when it was shared with those left behind.”

Blog ||Tumblr || Bookstagram || Twitter|| Reviews

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Depression, Child Abuse, Animal Death, Murder, PTSD //

- Premise -

The
Hana Bilqisthi
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is really interesting Cinderella retelling 😍😍

The story is very unique because our main characters, Blue (Cinderella) and Kellan (The Prince Charming) are childhood friends and they also kinda hated each other.
I love how their romance grew. The banter and chemistry between Blue and Kellan so well done!

I also love the twist! It is interesting that the plot has lot differences with original cinderella 😍😍

Step forward those that love Cinderella, fairy tales retelling and slow burn romance, The Bl
rachel ☾
i was hoping we'd see more of kellan ...more
Angela Blount
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Based loosely on the tale of Cinderella, The Blood Spell is the fourth standalone installment for the Ravenspire series of fairytale retellings.

On the surface, this book is in the same vein as many a dark YA fantasy. The magic system involves fae, wands, and transmutation; with a refreshingly hefty emphasis on the alchemical. On deeper levels, the story explores themes of grief, guilt, self-sacrifice, negative coping mechanisms, abuse, healing… and even touches on aspects of PTSD and su
Kara Johnson
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The world of ravenspire is so fun, and i love how CJ Redwine takes pieces of a beloved fairytale and changes it enough to be new and exciting. She still has a twist at the end that you may not see coming!
I would recommend that you read the other books in the series before this as they reference the other kingdoms.
This is the 4th book in the ravenspire novels, and its a retelling of cinderella. I loved the relationship between blue and kellen. How they hated each o
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Update 9780062653017 3 14 Feb 24, 2019 04:42PM

• Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Queen's Assassin (The Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • Stitching Snow
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)
See top shelves…
**Please read my FAQ before sending any requests: http://cjredwine.blogspot.com/p/faq.html **

C.J. Redwine loves fairy tales, Harry Potter, and going to the movies. If the novel writing gig ever falls through, she’ll join the Avengers and wear a cape to work every day. To learn more about C.J., visit her website at www.cjredwine.com

Ravenspire (4 books)
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • The Traitor Prince (Ravenspire, #3)

News & Interviews