Start by marking “The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)

The Blood Spell

(Ravenspire #4)

Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the magic in her blood and continue trying to turn metal into gold so she can help her city’s homeless. But when her father is murdered and a cruel but powerful woman claims custody of Blue and her property, one wrong move could expose her—and doom her once and for all. The only one who can help? The boy she’s loathed since childh ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Spell, please sign up.
C.J. It's a stand alone. You can read this series in any order, though there are cameos and Easter eggs if you choose to read in order.
C.J. No sex or profanity, so it would be all right for younger readers who are reading at a higher level. I have readers as young as 11.

Start your review of The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy Read With For Love Of A Book 💕🖤🐶🐺🐾

Omg! I love this book!!

As the gray-black light within the forest sank into the total darkness of yet another night, the wraith stalked the edges of the vast prison, hurling itself against the invisible spell that bound it here, feeling the magic spark, blister and burn.

One day, it would break free. It would rush over the hills and move through the long stretches of farmland that stood between it abd the city. It would find its sister and those wh
C.J.
Jun 20, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book Four! I'm so excited to be able to keep writing dark epic fantasies inspired by fairy tales. I grew up in a public library, checking out at least one volume of fairy tales every week, so this series feels like coming home. <3 ...more
Alexa
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

THE BLOOD SPELL was utterly enjoyable! It’s a well-done YA spin on Cinderella, and I enjoyed every second I spent reading it. Blue and Kellan were truly wonderful characters to follow, and I’m so happy with how their story plays out!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Blue loves doing alchemy with her father in their shop even if it means having to hide the magic in her blood. When she falls into the hands of a cruel and powerful woman she turns to an unexpected ally... the boy she’s loathed since childhood: Prince Kellan.

The short review...

So I see this really compelling title... The Blood Spell... ooooh what is this?! Sounds intriguing... Oh no! It's number 4 in a series... YAY! It's a companion story, a s
Stacee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it

I’ve enjoyed all of CJ’s books, so I don’t even read the synopsis any longer. It was a bit of a surprise to see this was Cinderella.

I loved Blue and Kellan. I loved their history and that they fought so much. I loved how good they were and how loyal they were. I especially enjoined their confusion when the feelings started to change; that may have been the best part. I also really liked Nessa and could easily read a book about her.

Plot wise it was good and boring at the same time. I t
Colleen Houck
Loved this take on the Cinderella story. I was so wrapped up in the story that it didn't even feel like Cinderella at all until the slipper at the very end. Really well done! Loved this whole series and wish there were more books coming!
Tricia Mingerink
I didn't really click with The Shadow Queen, the first of hers I read. I think that had more to do with me not being in the right mood for a YA fantasy fairy tale retelling than anything to do with the book (well, except for the fact that my favorite character was killed off. Not that I'm at all bitter about that...)

But when I saw this author was releasing a Cinderella retelling, I knew I would have to pick this series back up. And I'm so glad I did!

The romance in this one is adorable! And ver
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I am such a fan of the Ravenspire series.  This may be my favorite one so far, but I'm still trying to decide.   I liked everything about it.  I'm a sucker for a fairytale retelling.

You don't need to read each book in order for the Ravenspire series, but it is best if you do.  There are appearances and mentions of characters from other books.  We do see Hansel and Gretel for a brief moment in this one.

There are multiple things from Cinderella, but for the most part, the story is very differen
Bon
If The Bachelor had deadly consequences for losing contenders, magical intrigue around every corner, and legit badass lady villains and heroines, it'd be this book. Just enough squee-ey, romantic moments too.
Caylynn
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-release
4.5/5 stars
The kingdom needed a girl full of poison and reckless courage.

It's official. C.J. Redwine is now on my "auto-buy author's" list. Because god DAMN this woman knows how to write.

It's so strange how each of her novels has a similar formula and cast of characters, but the three out of four books I've binged so far ALL have different feelings to them .

In The Blood Spell, we follow our two protagonists Blue and Kellan in an incredibly unique twist on Cinderella. Blue and her father
Andrea
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

My favorite of the series!! The Blood Spell is a Cinderella retelling and I'm definitely adding it to my collection of favorite retellings! Blue de la Cour is an alchemist with a dangerous secret, she has magic in her blood. She mainly uses her magic to aid her in making her alchemical potions which are healing in nature. When her father dies, Blue and her home suddenly become property of an ambitious councilwoman with suspicious motives. The only person who may be able to help her is Crow
Erin Arkin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Blood Spell is the fourth book in the Ravenspire series by C.J. Redwine and while I love all of these books, this one might be my favorite. It has everything I look for in a book, an interesting plot, great characters, and some swoony bits that make me sigh. One thing to note is that all of these books have different main characters so if you haven’t read the others (WHAT???) you can still read this one without missing a beat.

Blue de la Cour is the main character. She’s smart and strong and
Shelley
*Source* Publisher via Edelweiss
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Blood Spell is the fourth installment in author C.J. Redwine's Ravenspire series. A series that has seen different lead characters in all four installments. A series that is more likely than not to be a retelling of classic fairy tale. In this case, the retelling of Cinderella takes a curious and enjoyable twist with 17-year old Bernadine de la Cour, Blue to her friends as the would be Cinderella, while Kellan
Hailey Hudson
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t have words to explain how much I loved this book—a Cinderella retelling with murderous rogue witches, sign language representation, a reckless prince, and magic and alchemy. I read the first few chapters of this one night and thought about it the whole next day. I can see, hear, smell, and taste the world so clearly. I adore Blue and Kellan’s prickly-to-sweet relationship. I love Grand-mere, and all the fast-paced plot twists near the end, and literally everything about the world. Also t ...more
Princess
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this from Balzer + Bray(HarperCollins) and Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.
If you have never read a book by C.J. read one now! Every book I read I adore more than the last. This book was amazing. I absolutely adored Blue and Kellen. I rooted for them so hard and he was so sweet. Cinderella had nothing on this story. From the evil foster mother to the carriage and mice, this was perfection.
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
The Blood Spell by C.J. Redwine

Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Disclaimer: The amazing humans at HarperCollins Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of The Blood Spell in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“It was useless wasting your time wishing for what you didn’t have instead of using what you did.”

Technically, this book is the fourth in a series, but you can read each book as a standalone – though, it appears there are Easter eggs in each tying them all together.

The Blood Spell is a loose rete
Kathleen
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5
Megan
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good fairytale retelling with good diversity. I wish she had some lgbtq+ diversity as well but an overall enjoyable read. Worth reading! 4 stars
Steff Pasciuti
| Reader Fox Blog |

Do you ever read a book that has a lot of potential and doesn't really fail but doesn't really succeed, either? This is how I feel about The Blood Spell by C. J. Redwing. I'm not sure if this book tried to do too much at one time or if it was simply not executed as well as it could have been. And yet, I did genuinely enjoy reading it.

The Blood Spell is a Cinderella retelling with quite the twist, telling the story of a young girl called Blue who works as an apothecary whi
Madison
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Blood Spell is the fourth book in C.J. Redwine’s series of fairytale retellings. As she has with each of the three previous instalments, The Blood Spell is a wonderful fantasy novel in its own right with threads of the familiar fairytale cleverly woven through the plot to create a unique and thrilling tale.

Blue (love her name) de la Cour is an alchemist, working alongside her father to make potions and tonics to heal the people of Falaise de la Mer. But Blue longs to do more, especially for
Amanda
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah I love this series!!!
Full review to come!
Drew
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wish Granter has been my favorite book set in this universe... until now. The Blood Spell goes above and beyond. This retelling of Cinderella was absolutely amazing. Like most of Redwine's retellings, she takes the classic Cinderella story and creates a brand new version with her own unique spin. For those that love the original, the basic outline is still there and the famous slippers still make an appearance.

Redwine's books were already great, but she keeps getting better and better! Can'
Cait Jacobs (Caitsbooks)
Overall: 4.5/5 Stars
Characters: 4/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 4/5
Awesomeness Factor: 4.5/5
Review in a Nutshell: The Blood Spell is a fun, adorable Cinderella retelling with lots of heart, although it isn’t my favorite C. J. Redwine book.

”Grief was easier to bear when it was shared with those left behind.”

Blog ||Tumblr || Bookstagram || Twitter|| Reviews

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Depression, Child Abuse, Animal Death, Murder, PTSD //

- Premise -

The
Hana Bilqisthi
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is really interesting Cinderella retelling 😍😍

The story is very unique because our main characters, Blue (Cinderella) and Kellan (The Prince Charming) are childhood friends and they also kinda hated each other.
I love how their romance grew. The banter and chemistry between Blue and Kellan so well done!

I also love the twist! It is interesting that the plot has lot differences with original cinderella 😍😍

Step forward those that love Cinderella, fairy tales retelling and slow burn romance, The Bl
rachel ☾
Jul 11, 2018 marked it as zzzz
Shelves: retelling, fantasy
i was hoping we'd see more of kellan
Kara Johnson
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The world of ravenspire is so fun, and i love how CJ Redwine takes pieces of a beloved fairytale and changes it enough to be new and exciting. She still has a twist at the end that you may not see coming!
I would recommend that you read the other books in the series before this as they reference the other kingdoms.
This is the 4th book in the ravenspire novels, and its a retelling of cinderella. I loved the relationship between blue and kellen. How they hated each o
Amber
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Blue is an alchemist who tries to turn lead into gold with her magic. Unfortunately magic is outlawed in the kingdom. When her father is mysteriously murdered and people begin to disappear, Blue must fight to survive from the people responsible. Can she survive though? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good fairy tale retelling of Cinderella done with magic and more. If you like fairy tale retellings, be sure to check this book out at your local library and wherever books are s
Kathy Martin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful retelling of the Cinderella story. Blue de la Cour lives with her father and works as an alchemist hiding the magic in her. Magic was made illegal in this kingdom after a witch who turned into a wraith terrorized the kingdom until it was imprisoned in an enchanted wood. But children are disappearing and it is feared that another evil witch is rising.

Kellan Renard is turning eighteen and finished with his education. Now it is time for him to choose a bride from one of the nin
Kat
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* Thank you HCC Frenzy for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review *

- ACTUAL 4.5/5 stars -

This novel follows Blue, a merchant's daughter in a small village in Balavata. She tries to remain unnoticed - in fear of her magic being discovered, sentencing her to death. However, once her father is murdered and a ruthless woman claims custody of Blue and all she owns, secrets, keeping them and finding them out, are more important than ever. At the same time, childhood friend Kellan, the crow
Sarah K
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I haven't read a great fairy tale retelling in a long time. I love the nods to the Cinderella story but honestly it's even better than the original!

This is my first book in this series. They are all standlaones so no need to have read the previous 3 books. (However, I 100% will now!)

This fairy-tale fantasy is everything you could want in YA fantasy. I've read some pretty meh fantasies over the last couple years and it's so refreshing to be completely engrossed in a story and o
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Update 9780062653017 3 14 Feb 24, 2019 04:42PM

• Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Queen's Assassin (The Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Stepsister
  • Once a King (A Clash of Kingdoms, #3)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • Sherwood
**Please read my FAQ before sending any requests: http://cjredwine.blogspot.com/p/faq.html **

C.J. Redwine loves fairy tales, Harry Potter, and going to the movies. If the novel writing gig ever falls through, she’ll join the Avengers and wear a cape to work every day. To learn more about C.J., visit her website at www.cjredwine.com

Ravenspire (4 books)
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • The Traitor Prince