Start by marking “Guilty” as Want to Read:
Guilty

Guilty

It begins with a phone call. It ends with a missing child.

On a warm summer’s morning, thirteen-year-old school girl Constance Lawson is reported missing.

A few days later, Constance’s uncle, Karl Lawson suddenly finds himself swept up in a media frenzy created by journalist Amanda Bowe implying that he is the prime suspect.

Six years later …

Karl’s life is in ruins. H
Published June 22nd 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Guilty, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda No actually I wouldn't! I liked knowing that they were one of the same and Amanda didn't!!…moreNo actually I wouldn't! I liked knowing that they were one of the same and Amanda didn't!!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jen No, I think it would have been too suspicious anyway, and I would have figured it out. Knowing Karl was him allowed me to understand why Ben did what …moreNo, I think it would have been too suspicious anyway, and I would have figured it out. Knowing Karl was him allowed me to understand why Ben did what he did, and let me enjoy Amanda's walking right in to his trap.(less)

Start your review of Guilty
BernLuvsBooks
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-reads, 2018
Guilty is a psychological thriller about uncovering the secrets behind the disappearance of 13 year old Constance Lawson. After an argument with her parents, Constance sneaks out of her house never to be seen again.

Constance's uncle, Karl Lawson, is under suspicion and their close relationship comes under negative scrutiny. The disappearance causes family turmoil when no one knows what to believe and leaves Karl's life torn apart.

I don't want to give too much away although the "why" to Con
Sue
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
GUILTY by Laura Elliot is a tense psychological thriller/drama that deals with the aftermath of a child missing.

It begins with a phone call. It ends with a missing child.

After a fight with her parents thirteen- year old Constance Lawson decides to sneak out of her house to perform a dare given to her from a secret club she's joined. But after completing the dare, Constance never returns home by the next morning and her desperate parents begin the search for their daughter.

A few days later, Con
Carrie
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
After a disagreement with her parents thirteen year old Constance Lawson decides to sneak out of her house to perform a dare given to her from a secret club she's joined. After completing the dare however something happens to Constance keeping her from returning home so the next morning her parents are frantic and begin the search for their daughter.

Karl Lawson is Constance's uncle and had been close with his niece so when the search begins he shares that he knew of her being in the secret club
Linda Strong
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Constance Lawson is missing. Only 13 years old, she sneaks out of the house late at night ...and is never seen alive again.

Her uncle, Karl Lawson, finds himself the person of interest in her disappearance. It's well known that they were close; he was the one she ran to when she had a problem with her own parents.

Journalist Amanda Bowe is certain that Karl is guilty. Aided by a detective, with whom she's having an affair, she is privileged to information the general public does not have. But Ama
Sue
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a read! I absolutely loved this book. Laura Elliot can sure tell a tale as she has in her previous books which has also gripped my attention from beginning to end.

Guilty starts off with a gripping narration.
A point where it says "A message to the Fearless.
Then it says that no one can call them chicken again.

Intrigued? I know I was.

Just the cover drew me in, but once I started to read I just honestly couldn't put this down.

Karl Lawson has his own wife and family, nearby lives his brother a
Dana-Adriana B.
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-en
A teenage girl is missing and everything, and I mean everything, changes forever. The rumors and the free press is not helping anyone. Nice thriller, really nice.
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
2.5 Stars

I must admit that I ultimately skimmed the entirety of this book, minus the first 6% and the last 20%. After 6%, knowing where the story was going at that point, knowing the other shoe has dropped, but having to wait for the characters to catch up, was just boring to me. I wasn’t invested, and just found everyone to be acting stupid, including the police. At that point, I started skimming through the next 74% to finally get to the point of the book where we get to see Amanda get her com
Ashley
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin my review, readers may be interested to ascertain that this book is on my 2017 favourites shelf on GoodReads.
My journey with this breathlessly captivating psychological thriller had indeed left me withh literaly not a single moment of boredom to spare. There's something about this book that made me feel connected right from the first word after 'prologue'. I enjoyed the extremely thrilling plot with its freshness and originality; it's immensely refreshing and highly satisfying t
Eva
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goodness gracious me, this is one dark read!

I requested this book on Netgalley because of the cover. It was the pretty pink balloon that did it. Never mind reading the description so I didn’t actually know what this book was about. Except someone made a terrible mistake that could ruin their family. Thank you tagline. And so I was pleasantly surprised.

When thirteen year old Constance goes missing, reporter Amanda Bowe zeroes in on Constance’s uncle Karl and absolutely vilifies him in her article
Amy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

Guilty was a bit different than I had anticipated, it was divided into five separate parts and the first one was very frantic as it focused on the disappearance of a teenaged girl. Her case is resolved during this section, then part two details the aftermath. It mainly follows Karl, Constance’s uncle who was the prime suspect when she went missing and the media storm created by a local reporter named Amanda. Then parts three through five fast
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
3.75 rounded up

I really liked this book until the stuff with the Plinks came in to the story... just all of a sudden the book went really left with hardly any explanation. I felt like I was missing a chunk of the story.

All around, an enjoyable book. And honestly, can you blame him?
I am a big fan of psychological thrillers, and can get on with most, whatever the plot. However, 'Guilty' fell short for me for a number of reasons.

The book is told in four parts, concerning the mystery of a missing school girl. The first part of the book set the scene for missing Constance, planting lots of questions in the reader's mind. The book us fairly fast-paced at this point, leaving you eager to read on to uncover the answers to Constance's disappearance. I am more used to major plot tw
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Wow.. that was a rollercoaster! So many despicable characters! Great book
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm.

photo book-2026902_1280.png

So Guilty was the first book I have read by Laura Elliot, I enjoyed it but found the first half of the book much more compelling than the second.
If I could, I would rate the first fifty percent a solid four and the last half a three as I can't do this and to be fair I have settled on a three and a half rating for the whole experience.
So what is guilty about?
Well when Constance Lawson goes missing, it sends everyone into a tailspin o
Kyle Robertson
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This tense psychological thriller grips you tight from the prologue and adds layers of tension with each page you turn. The overall mood of the book is dark, and it touches on taboo subject matter. Laura Elliot has skillfully crafted an excellent novel. Her writing style keeps you flipping pages at a frantic pace.

The plot of part one revolves around the disappearance of a 13 year old girl, Constance, and her uncle, Karl. The initial investigation is marred by a personal attack and smear campaig
Dee Ryan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book a raw, edge of the seat page turner. The story is told in four parts, all of which lead into each other beautifully.
Part one focuses on Constance Lawson, age 13 she has a fight with her parents and sneaks out that night to take part in a "challenge" set by "The Fearless". She is never seem alive again. Her uncle Karl, with whom she is very close becomes the focus of the media attention and through that becomes the centre of the investigation after Constance's body is found.
Part two c
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Fair warning, the official synopsis is FILLED with spoilers...

Karl Lawson, 32, is the editor of the famous music magazine Hitch, he has a four year old daughter and a wife he adores when his 13 year old niece disappears. They were very close and she even confided in him about the secret group she was in but made him promise not to tell anyone.
Enters Amanda Bowe. She’s a journalist for a tabloid and was rejected by Karl when sh
Shalini
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book brings home the adage – Loose lips sink ships

It takes a second and few written words to destroy a man’s reputation and years to rebuild it, but the scars of the pain undergone are felt forever. Words are that powerful, this simple fact is brought home by Laura Elliot in this book.

Amanda bowe, the journalist and Karl Lawson, the alleged suspect are the two main protagonists. When Karl’s niece, Constance Lawson, disappears one night, few words of implied guilt written by Amanda and a p
Sarah MacIntyre
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a stunner of a story! I loved it! Starting with a missing child it then takes you into the dark side of journalism, corruption, adultery, broken families and the ultimate revenge. A breathtaking ending. Highly recommended. Read it!
Michelle B
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I bought this book mainly on the basis of the basis of number of positive reviews it had received. I am struggling to see how so many people can have enjoyed it so much.
None of the characters were likeable or empathetic. The storyline was completely unbelievable and in my view frankly rather dull.
It was the first book I had read by Laura Elliot and very sadly it does not make me want to read another as there was nothing about her style of writing or her storylines that grabbed me to make me thin
Chloe
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Guilty is a tense psychological thriller by Laura Elliott focusing on how media can build or destroy a person’s reputation by a few words.

Constance Lawson , a 13 year old disappears one night and the suspicion falls on her uncle Karl .
Innocent gestures are cast in a disturbing light and Karl's life, career, family and finally freedom was destroyed in the process . Leading the media frenzy is local journalist Amanda trying to further her career with this story.

The book is divided in four parts.
BookwormCatLady
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arc
I was really surprised to discover this ISN'T a debut for that was the impression I got throughout. I've read many debuts in my quest to find new & exciting authors to add to my ever-growing TBR list and Guilty had that debut vibe.

An awful lot going on yet at the same time not much happening...
Character development was sorely lacking...
It was over before it begun. Quite literally at 35%!! Weird.

For me, this was far from being a psychological thriller and I was really disappointed.

Thanks to Booko
Fiona Wilson
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017-reads
I have read a few of this author's previous books and enjoyed them. As a fan of psychological thrillers I was looking forward to reading this, and it didn't disappoint. However I'm not totally sure about the thriller part of it as it came across as something else to me.

The initial part of the story involves a missing girl, Constance, and the hunt to find her. During the investigation journalist Amanda Bowe becomes increasingly involved in finding out what happened to the young girl. She starts t
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, loved-it
This is a brilliant read. I’ll definitely have to go and read her previous books if they are even half as good as this one.

Thirteen year old Constance Lawson sneaks out one night and disappears. Her uncle Karl is accused of the murder of his niece.

Amanda Bowe has a grudge against Karl, so much so that she starts a media campaign against him.

Karl is on his own when even his family don’t believe his innocence.

A fantastic read that had me gripped from start to finish. I’m looking forward to rea
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: June 10th 2017

"Does she not realise the past never goes away? It can swing a fist and knock us out with one blow."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Nicki
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
After a blazing row with her parents 13 year old Constance Lawson sneaks out of her home in the middle of the night and vanishes without a trace.

A few days later Constance`s uncle Karl Lawson finds that he is the prime suspect in her disappearance thanks to a media frenzy created by journalist Amanda No we.

Six Years Later

Karl's life is in ruins but the woman who took everything away from him now has a successful chat show,a husband and a baby boy.Amanda has the perfect life until the day she rec
Maggie
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Constance found her parents boring and thought they were trying to stop her growing up.She felt she had much more in common with her hip Uncle Karl who wrote for a music magazine & could get tickets and backstage passes to the latest bands. She was thirteen when she went missing after her parents refused to let her go to a concert where he had supplied the tickets.

Karl suddenly finds himself in the middle of the investigation as prime suspect. Crime reported Amanda Bowe has her own axe to grind
OutlawPoet
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm of two minds on this book.

You see, I loved the first part of the book. Oh, I read it at a feverish pace, feeling absolutely sick for our characters and completely loathing one in particular. Had the book stayed with these characters in this time (and this point of view), I likely would be giving this five stars right now.

But I hated, part two. In it, we completely change our focus and characters seem to flip personalities. It makes sense and I could see what the author was doing and why, but
JoAnn
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc via Netgalley and this is my unbiased review

Guilt is a very well written psychological thriller. The plot has many twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. Could not put this book down, it is one of those edge of your seat type of books. If you love suspense I recommend this book
Diane Hogg
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Six years later …

Karl’s life is in ruins. His marriage is over, his family destroyed. But the woman who took everything away from him is thriving. With a successful career,

• The Housekeeper
  • One Mistake
  • The Perfect Family
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • The Girl She Wanted
  • The Accident
  • The Girl Who Just Wanted to Have Fun
  • The Marriage Betrayal
  • The Man She Married
  • Hush Little Baby (DC Beth Chamberlain Book 3)
  • Am I Guilty?
  • The Loyal Wife
  • I Know Your Secret
Laura Elliot is the author of six novels, Stolen Child and The Prodigal Sister, published by Avon HarperCollins. Her novels, Fragile Lies, The Betrayal, Sleep Sister and Guilty are published by Bookouture. Her books have been widely translated and she has collaborated on a number of high-profile non-fiction books.

Aka June Considine, she is an author of twelve books for children and young adults. H