Start by marking “Salt (A Mermaid Tale #1)” as Want to Read:
Salt (A Mermaid Tale #1)

Salt

(A Mermaid Tale #1)

Her kind treats her as less-than-human, but she’s always been so much more.

Mermaid life has never been easy for Verona. Her scars give evidence of her abuse. When her day of reckoning arrives, she is determined to endure exile. According to her father’s experience, exile is better than becoming a land-walker and risking her life among the humans.

However, when she saves t
Published August 8th 2017 by Pronoun (first published July 15th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Salt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salt

Start your review of Salt (A Mermaid Tale #1)
Ronda  Tutt
Well Built Magical World

*NOTE: read SCALES before reading SALT*
Verona's world begins as she starts a new life as a land walker and just when you think she may have some solidarity and happiness in her life, the paranormal wolf shifter's and a mean witch has other plans.

This is an amazing story. I was a little confused at first because I was expecting to learn more about Verona and Bailey (Merman who helped Verona survive once she was exiled from their clan). But that's not what we get, no Verona
Candyce Kirk
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love stories about mermaids, so I was excited to get started. This book didn't disappoint. We meet Verona and Logan. Logan just moved back to the island with Mama Wend (his grandmother). Ever since he was little and his mother passed away, they have moved all over the place. Seeing how he always moved around he's never really built a group of friends. When he's invited to a party on a boat, he has it's doubts. He knows these kind of kids, but the neighbor kid gets him to go. During the party h ...more
Joetta Spurling
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I'm an independent reviewer for Romance Authors That Rock.
🎶Go on and kiss the girl 🎶
This is a sweet little story for the YA... No sexual content... Even at my age I enjoyed it... Verona saves Logan when he "falls" into the ocean... Now she is stuck in human form for a month... Living with Logan and his grandmother is eye opening for her... I loved the relationship between Logan and his grandmother it was very sweet and heartwarming...
Patricia C Wright
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it

This book is a can't put down book. I was happy, sad, angry right along with them. I sat on the edge of my chair. Love mermaids
Jessica Belmont
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read many mermaid tales so I was really excited to get into this series. I think I picked the right series to start with because Pauline Creeden’s writing is wonderful and I was immediately sucked into this story.

The characters were deep and written well. I was connected with them throughout and I think this was a really great character-driven novel. On top of that, the world-building was awesome. It’s easy to get lost in this story.

I recommend checking this out. I think it’s a great s
Kat
*** I voluntarily reviewed this book, I gained no monetary incentives nor was I specifically requested to review the book, these are my honest ramblings and I hope you enjoy reading them - kat***

I wasn't going to start the book straight away, but I needed to escape into fantasy land after reviewing a non-fiction book, and I didn't put it down.
I've only read one or two mermaids, book's and the cover drew me to sign up to review it, and I was hooked with the first chapter.

Verona's status in life i
C. Erani Kole
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchy, elementals
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from Lady Amber's PR*

Loooooved this. I loved the tone, the writing style, the setting, the characters, but most of all, I loved the way it made me feel. It started off beautifully with Logan and Mama Wend coming back from living in all fifty states. They've had their adventure and now it's time to return home, but although not everyone is as welcoming to Logan as some, the eighteen-year-old protagonist doesn't mind because home is where Mama
Lindy Lu Reviews
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, I am loving the whole mermaid tale. It is very exotic. I enjoy reading books by this author because her books are very clean and more about a story not lots of fluff. I loved naive Verona, she has been sheltered most of her life. Her clan shuns her and makes her feel like she is lower than pond scum. She has to live among the humans but she has no intention of this, until a fluke happens and she kinda has no other option.

So what can I say about this story, it was sweet and i
Autumn
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I received this book to give an honest review.

I never thought I would like a mermaid story so much, the last mermaid story I fell in love with was a book by my favorite author. Being a mermaid is not all glamour like everyone would like for you to think. Verona is what you would call a bottom feeder which is just a social standing within the mermaid world. Her reckoning was a bit heartbreaking because I didn't realize it would be that harsh. Verona slowly
Lindsay
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A show of hands... who wants to be a mermaid? If you put your hand up and screamed "ME ME!" then this is definitely the book for you. It's clean and sweet, with just a touch of darkness. Pauline Creeden has presented our world through a fresh set of eyes, showing the reader the absurdity of human lives through a mermaid's perspective.

I will admit, it's not quite the romance I was expecting it to be. There is a slow build in romantic tension, but it was almost subtle enough that I doubted its pre
Gina's Library
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Salt is the follow up book to prequel short story Scales. I recommend reading Scales first to understand the back story to this book.

This story starts with Logan and his Grandmother “Mama Wend” move back to their hometown. Logan hasn't lived there since he was 6 so he's the “new kid in town”. He is adjusting to being back where his family is from. Not everyone is excited about the new kid.

In the meantime Verona is a mermaid that is now a land walker. She is adjusting to live on land, a life she'
Sue Brooks
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW WOW WOW - Pauline Creeden never ceases to amaze the reader!!!

I will start by saying that although you don't have to read the series in order -- it is good to have read SCALES before reading SALT. Besides, who doesn't want to read a really good book by a really good author!!! SALT starts off with Logan and his grandmother - MAMA WEND -- move back to the little island where they used to live when Logan was young. Upon arriving, he met some kids that he knew when he was 6. They invited him to a
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I will start by saying that requesting a copy to review was one of the best things I have done so far this year. This author immediately transports you into a beautifully written story that keeps you hooked until the end. I quickly fell in love with the characters and the world building. I do not like sharing spoilers, but I will tell you that if you decide on reading just one mermaid book this year, then this is the one to go with as this author will not disappoint you. I loved every single mom ...more
Y.I. Lee
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely story, so magical and descriptive. A fantasy story you can really get lost in. I've liked the idea of mermaids, but never actually read any books based on them. I'm glad I chose this book.
The characters were well fleshed out and believable. I loved Mama Wend. Everyone should have a Mama Wend in their lives.
Logan, Mama Wend's grandson goes on a boat with some old school friends and ends up diving into the sea to retrieve a watch belonging to one of the young guys who couldn't swim.
He ge
Susan Harrowa
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this!

Fairy tale retellings are done of my favorite stories. And this one is no exception. I absolutely love the style this one is written in. And the characters are sweetly adorable, except the bullies and bad guys. You'll hate them.....which is perfect. But I especially liked the the added details of the witch and werewolf that sets this Little Mermaid apart from the rest. That twist made it unique. I look forward to the second book and where it takes Verona and Logan. And Ms. Creeden, if
Amanda Jane  Williams
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What do you really know about mermaids? Not much. Well, Salt lets you see inside the life of at least one.
Salt is very well written and I will be reading that of them to find out what happens between Logan and Verona.
I think we all have a Mama Wend in our lives as well.
I would recommend this book to anyone that even remotely likes mermaids. It gives you some interesting insight on what life is like for our sea dwelling friends. A very good read for a young adult as well.
Marie Pedrick
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like fantasy then this book is for you. It fallows Logan ( a human) after he moves to Cinciteague and Verona a mermaid in exile from her people and what happens after she accidentally becomes human after saving Logan in a storm. The story follows the ups and downs of their relationship and everything that follows after. I enjoyed reading this book immensely and would definitely recommend it.
This review was written on behalf of Amo and Sarah's book corner.
Gladys
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Salt ( a mermaid tale ) by Pauline Creeden is an amazing read. Heartwarming and full of charm this story is about Verona and Logan. Complex and well written it is a joy to read. I recommend you read the prequel book Scales to get a full understanding of Verona. I am posting an honest review after reading an ARC copy of this book.
Melody Spencer
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
I absolutely loved this story! It is so much more than just a simple Mermaid tale. I was happily following along learning about Verona’s experience with humans and getting to know these characters and then bam, the author introduced so much more depth, emotion, suspense, paranormal, I was blown away and I cannot wait to read more!
Karen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for teens and adults

Salt is a great read, once I started I couldn’t stop. The story was well written and kept me guessing all the way l really enjoyed the main characters and I wouldn’t have a problem with younger teens reading it. I’m hoping the next book will be out soon although Salt can be read on its own and I’m sure most readers will really enjoy it
Kim  Gregory
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I started to read this story but ran into a cuss word near the beginning. I hate to bring down a non-Christian author's rating because there is not an expectation of a clean read - but I do want to let others know who are looking for clean reads, that this book isn't one. ...more
Ching Tang
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tail!

I love everything written in this book.it had merfolk,wolves and witch.I like that it had Logan and Verona POV.it made me smile,cry,a rollercoaster of emotion.Would recommend that you read it yourself.
Lisa Whitehead
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of the seat read.

If you like a dystopian or fantasy kind of story I would recommend this book.
An interesting story of a mermaid who is thought of as the lowest of the low ends up on shore.
An enjoyable and catchy story from start to finish.
Teya Teya
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a hard time giving out 5 stars but when I do it's well deserved. I questioned having witches and werewolves in the story as well but It worked well with the storyline. I have thoroughly enjoyed this author and look forward to more books written by her and to see how the saga turns out. ...more
Spunky N Sassy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

This is a riveting book that left me captivated from the first page to the absolutely last line.
Mary Meier
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Salt

Finally, a mermaid story. I loved it! More please! I am going to purchase Scales so I must go for now.
Candylynnbluegmail.Com
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing mermaid tale

This is a great story! I love mermaids, and anyone who likes mermaid stories will like this one! It is also a great tale of coming of age and perseverance.
Sakuralionheart
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this book! It ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, though. I can't wait for the sequel! :D ...more
Nancy Phy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

This is a wonderful enchanting fantasy with unforgettable characters. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a sweet story.
teresa hillendahl
I couldn't out it down. Can't wait for the next one

Fantasy retelling of the little mermaid. Can't wait for more of Verona and logan! And what about mama wend?!?! I gotta know

• Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #1)
  • Firefighter Dragon (Fire & Rescue Shifters, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Aurelia Ryder, #1)
  • A Killing Frost (October Daye, #14)
  • Pegasus (Pegasus, #1)
  • Loyal Dragon Shifter (Return of the Dragons, #0.5)
  • Waking the Dragon Prince (Return of the Dragons, #1)
  • Prisoner Of Avrox (Avroxee Mates, #1)
  • Alien Prince Charming (Trilyn Alien Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Fishtail (The Complex Book 0)
  • Sacrificed to the Dragon (Stonefire Dragons, #1)
  • Spindle's End
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • Forbidden Planet (Rise of the Gladiator, #1)
  • The Inn at Ocean's Edge (Sunset Cove, #1)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Wicked Deal (Shadow Guild: The Rebel, #2)
  • Love Into Eternity
Pauline Creeden is an award-winning author, horse trainer, and overall book ninja. She becomes the main character in each of her stories, and because she has ADD, she will get bored if she pretends to be one person for too long.

Armored Hearts, her joint effort with author Melissa Turner Lee, has been a #1 Bestseller in Christian Fantasy and been awarded the Crowned Heart for Excellence by InDtale

A Mermaid Tale (3 books)
  • Submerged (A Mermaid Tale #2)
  • Surfacing (A Mermaid Tale #3)

News & Interviews

“Procrastination isn’t weed killer—it’s fertilizer. It doesn’t make a problem disappear; it nurtures it into full bloom.” 1 likes