Start by marking “Call of the Morrigú” as Want to Read:
Call of the Morrigú

Call of the Morrigú

Would you dare rouse a Goddess?

Life wasn’t easy in 1798 Ireland. Rebellions were rising across the countryside, and the English could be cruel overlords. However, this brutality hadn’t reached the country estate of Strokestown.

Theodosia Latimer and her grandfather Reginald, were on a mission to discover the past. They were determined to excavate some ancient mounds on thei
Published July 19th 2017 by Tirgearr Publishing

Jennifer Layne
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do really enjoy Irish mythology; it is a newer interest for me so I am still learning about it. Morrígu is a strong goddess from around 1500 years ago when she was imprisioned by priests who saw her as a threat. Fast forward to 1797 & she is back!! It was SO fun to see how Morrígu reacted to the world in the "new time"; the 18th century as well as how she adapted or more like; didn’t adapt. She is a strong Warrior and doesn't understand the passive docile manner of the "modern" women of th ...more
Kai Mjaanes
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book turned out to be a page-turner for me.

Set in the rebellious period of Irish history 1797-98, the main character, Dosey and her grandfather release an ancient war goddess from her 1300 year captivity.

The story intertwines the actual Irish history with old myths, magic and the revitalisation of the goddess Morrigan.

Characters are introduced and expanded as the story develops, and although there are to some extent stereotypes - The tomboy, the sorceress, the wise grandfather, the arrogan
Kety
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book with his surprises and mystery.
The story is well written, funny and the characters strong and well developed.
You will land in a different world where you don't know what will happened. you will live with them, be part of their world.
A book for all that love mystery and magic.
I received a copy from the author and this is my honest review.
Patricia Finney
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An ancient goddess of war, the Morrigan, is woken from her priest-enchanted sleep in the Ireland of Wolfe Tone and the Irish rebellion of 1798. Mistress Theodosia Latimer (Dosey to her friends) is a young Anglo-Irish aristocrat who has to cope with the Morrigan's complete flouting of propriety and habit of wearing breeches - yet they become friends as the de-powered goddess learns how not to frighten the English. When the rebellion breaks out, the Morrigan joins in and wins a battle, only to hav ...more
Nadine
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good, solid four stars

I love Irish mythology. Morrígan is a strong goddess from around 1500 years ago. She was entombed by priests who saw her as a threat. Now it’s 1797 and she is free once more. It was fun to see how Morrígan reacted to the ‘modern’ world in the 18th century. How she adapted or rather didn’t adapt. She is so different from the subdued and restrained women of that time.

Dosey is sweet and naïve and very much a woman of her time. A bit of a tomboy at heart, but forced by the
Stephen Willis
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was a great mix of fantasy and historical fiction. I think the author did a good job of taking an interesting cross of history, the goddess being from ancient Ireland, and then the 1700's of the 'present day' and interweaving it into a fascinating story.

It was an easy and enjoyable read, with a nice writing style. The characters were likable, particularly Dosey and I think my only complaint was it felt like such a big build up to one battle, but the final one felt almost
Debra
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read. Dosey and her grandfather unearth a war goddess during excavations of an ancient archeological site. Then they have to figure out what to do with her. A great mix of irish mythology and legend with a little romance. Adventure and laughter from beginning to end. Loved it! I received a free copy of this book and happily and voluntarily choose to leave a review.
Roland Clarke
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Revised review - 03/08/2017: Recommend with reservations. Although I enjoyed the read as there was enough plot to keep my attention, I couldn't relate to some of the characters especially Dosey who was not consistent in her actions - one minute she was clever and inquiring and then naive and blind. I had to suspend my disbelief in a few places especially with the ending. However, I suspect that I am in a minority as almost everyone rated this book highly. (I will attempt to write a longer review ...more
rita
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ladyhawke
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.

Well written and fast moving. I was sorry to see it end. I hope that there are more Morrigan stories in the future.
Amanda Williams
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the way the author portrayed the characters and integrated them into her world. They are full of life and strong. The storyline was good and strong with many twists and turns. This authors writing is second to none and I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Teresa
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine releasing an ancient goddess and trying to integrate her to society... in the 1700's. A goddess of war, one more comfortable wearing only painted symbols than clothes! Excellent plot, characters have depth, loved it!
J.M. Hofer
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for any story of co-mingling gods and mortals, and this tale was particularly fun.

Irish goddess of war, Morrigan, is awoken by the sharp yet innocent young Theodosia (Dosey for short) and her beloved grandfather, from a long sleep forced upon her by priests fearful of her power some centuries ago.

Morrigan and Dosey develop a wonderful "tough-love" relationship, which is my favorite aspect of the story. Morrigan becomes Dosey's mentor, advising her in the ways of men and women, sexu
Elizabeth Connor
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had to drag myself away from this book several times to attend to life. It was riveting, never boring, and held my interest from beginning to end. And I couldn't wait to get back to it!

The characters were both fascinating and sympathetic. I felt invested in what happened to them. Christy Nicholas brought the characters and Irish history to life in a way that was entertaining and engaging. I received an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion and I loved it! I highly recommend this book.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Christy Nicholas’s “Call of the Morrigú” is an interesting and exciting story, and readers will be swept away by the characters and plot twists.

Read full review in the 2017 October issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Teresa Snedeker
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Gai
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
I honestly went into this book purely for the fact I love mythology. I am so glad I did! Where do I even start? A goddess of war should be enough to intrigue you. What I did enjoy were how well the characters worked together. It had me page turning as fast as I could manage. With witty humour, love and war. Now I need to read more by this author.
Christy Nicholas
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As I'm the author, I will tell a bit about the process of writing this book.

The storyline of waking an immortal or ancient entity isn't a new one, by any means. There's even a Tom Cruise movie coming out next month with a similar line. However, most stories of this type (there are exceptions) have the wakened entity as a monster of irredeemable temper. I wanted to show a Goddess willing to at least try to become 'modern'. Of course, 'try' is the operative word, here. And a 'modern woman' in 1798
Helen Hollick
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

'Strongly recommended for anyone who is interested in Irish mythology,'
S.W. Wilcox
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my 2nd delighted read of this author, the 1st being book #4 on her Druid's Brooch series: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... . Nicholas displays a deft knack of drawing-in young readers, what with short sentences and plentiful--if familiar--adjectives. Not until mid-3rd-chapter did I find a few adjectives of the 3-syllable type...but that's perfect for middle-schoolers. This one begins a bit like the classic "Sleepy Hollow" followed by the bit more-involved "Fall of the House of Us ...more
Larry Updike
Barb Fuentes
Alfreda
Sep 28, 2017
Goodreads Ireland: Release day! Call of the Morrigú 3 13 Jul 21, 2017 07:57AM
Goodreads Ireland: Call of the Morrigú on pre-order now! 3 17 May 25, 2017 01:21PM