Jump to ratings and reviews
I can summon any woman with a look. They want me, but there’s only one I crave.
Vanessa.

I shouldn’t have let her slip away.
She answers the door wearing next to nothing. I can’t tear my eyes away from her.
A short silk kimono skims her thighs. The delicate robe falls open. She’s teasing me.
Lace panties and a push-up bra lifts her breasts like an offering.
I haven’t seen her in years. I’ve never seen her like this. I never knew that under her clothes she had the body of a goddess.
She never expected to see me again.
I set her free before, but I’m not waiting anymore. I’ve returned to claim the woman who has always belonged to me.
I'll take back what was mine.

Avren is a STAND-ALONE, full-length science fiction romance. There are no cliffhangers, and a happy ending is guaranteed! The conclusion to Abduction, Part 4, an exclusive, never released work is included as a bonus book

225 pages, Kindle Edition

92 books245 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 40 reviews
January 2, 2023
Back on the home planet!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Romance: 💚🖤💙
Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📕📗📘
World building: 🌏🌍🌎
Character development: ☺️😮😍
Narrator(s): 🎙🎙🎙🎙
Narration Type: Dual Narration

The Hero: Avren - He is the fourth son of the King of Auxem and is a genetic engineer. He wants to fix the Auxem people who have wings that fold into pockets in their skin so they can’t be seen when they are in the pockets. The Auxem people love to fly but taking out their wings and putting them away is very painful. More so when it first happens as a child hits puberty, or like in the case of his brother Allex, whose wing pockets once got infected from not taking his wings out often enough. Now he goes through excruciating pain every time. Avren thinks the genetics can be fixed but needs the help of his ex-girlfriend Vanessa.

The heroine: Vanessa - She is the leading geneticist in the Galaxy. The one person who may be able to figure out how to fix the Auxem people so they can open and retract their wings without pain. She had been hurt when Avren dumped her back in college, she was determined to say no to whatever he asked her.

The Story: Avren was hurt by Vanessa in the past when she chose her work over him, and he ended the relationship and is determined to not fall for her again. However, he He had an idea on what they could do via genetic manipulation and knew if anyone could help his race, it was her. Vanessa always loved her work and a challenge, so she agrees.

The story was good and there was some mystery and suspense added in. Though it wasn’t great and I just wasn’t feeling the chemistry between these two despite their yearning for each other all the time. Maybe I was just tired of this series and ready to start something new.

Like Anders his book was narrated by Connor Brown and Piper Fairweather who I enjoyed listening to. They did a great job on both of the books in this series that they narrated. I liked that no two books in a row were narrated by the same narrators. This book did wrap up the series in a nice way!

Blog|Goodreads|Facebook|Instagram|Twitter|BookBub
Profile Image for MsChris1161.
468 reviews44 followers
July 2, 2022
AVREN, is a fantastic story, the last book in Lisa Lace's Auxem series. AVREN is the fifth and next to the youngest brother of the five Auxem Princes. He's a genetic scientist determined to finally put an end to their race's suffering by attempting to modify their DNA. The best geneticist in the galaxy just happens to be his ex. The ex who chose her career over him and broke his heart.

Vanessa values her career as a geneticist above all else as it provides her with the independence she needs to make her own decisions. She's not about to find herself depending on a man, like her mother always foolishly did, only to be let down. She fell in love with AVREN back when they were at University together, but then he left just like all men do. She might be willing to help him save the Auxem race, but she will never trust him with her heart again.

AVREN and Vanessa might both be brilliant scientists, but they have a lot of mistrust to overcome when it comes to loving each other. Which they still do, but pride and insecurities keep trying to get in the way. Throw in a relentless bad guy trying to quell all they are working so hard for and you've got a fantastic read!

I listened to the audiobook and was mostly pleased with the narration. There could have some improvement with the male narrator's rendition of Vanessa's voice, but otherwise I felt it well done. 4 stars

~Complimentary audiobook received from author. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Profile Image for Joselyn  Moreno.
742 reviews30 followers
August 17, 2017
I found Avren pretty funny, he was one of the more serious auxem in some things, but you could grasp the caring and loving person he was inside.

Vannessa was a sassy one a little too afraid but who isn't after a lot of bad experiences in life.

I liked the plot it was pretty interesting and a little suspensful at some point I was like OMG so cool all this and I loved that this one as the others auxem novels, have little cameos of other terramates novels that was fantastic.

for the narrators I loved the girl, the male voice was I dont know but it didnt make the cut for this one I think.
Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
15.5k reviews185 followers
June 27, 2017
Avren was a bit surprised when Vanessa answered the door barely clothed! She was his ex and they had not seen each other for some time. Vanessa was a molecular geneticist, one of the best in the galaxy. Their break-up had not been good – Vanessa chose her career over a future with Avren and that still hurt. The reason for her current choice of underwear and a silk robe became obvious when a man knocked at the door. Avren grabbed the food the man had brought and slammed the door in his face.

Avren told Vanessa that he needed her help. His species had a problem that she could possibly help him with. As they deployed their wings for flight, they suffered a great deal of pain. Avren believed that if they could alter the gene that brought on the pain, it would change the lives of all of his kind. The scientist in her was intrigued, but the woman knew working with him could only lead to more heartache. All he could do was appeal to her as a fellow scientist and what a generous humanitarian gesture the Auxem project would present. It would definitely get her name into the history books! Is her career still the most important thing to her? Or is it Avren who could bring her the happiness she lost the first time?

This was a well-written, interesting story that I really enjoyed. The story line moved forward at a good pace, so the reader was engaged in the outcome. The characters were well described so the reader had a feel for their personalities and cared about them. It was obvious that both of them had not stopped loving the other; but neither would admit to that. This was a really good conclusion to the series. I definitely recommend this book. It is well worth reading!
Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
15.5k reviews185 followers
June 27, 2017

Profile Image for Nikki Brooks.
2,769 reviews37 followers
June 18, 2017
Avren is the nerd brother but he is still a hottie!!!! He has come across information that may mean they can develop a way for the deployment of the Auxem's wings to be non painful. But to do this right he needs the help of the smartest woman he knows, his ex-girlfriend, and they did not end well!

Veronica has got over Avren, really she has! Well that's the lie she keeps telling herself when he drops back into her life. He left her once when she didn't want to put him before her career but she saw what happened to her mother when men kept leaving her and she is not going down that path!
But when Avren gives her an intriguing proposition and her dream job falls through, she packs up and heads to Auxem. But before they even get planet-side people are out to to stop their work before it starts!

Avren was easy to love but I didn't quite get why he asked Veronica to leave her career for him, he doesn't seem the misogynistic type? Veronica did take a while to win me over. She did seem a bit TOO career focused, even going so far to have only friends with benefits and no other real friends because she was hyperfocused on work.

I loved all the Machiavellian power plays going on and what do you know?? Big Pharma companies in the future are still out to make a killing!!! Highly enjoyable and loves the epilogue where we see out favourite winged hotties and their families in the future!
Profile Image for Mindy.
1,248 reviews
October 25, 2020
This one is my favorite. Avren and Vanessa are my absolute favorite couple of this series. I don't know if this series has any more books, but this is my favorite of the series so far. Avren and Vanessa have a bit more history than the previous couples which makes them unique. Each of the previous couples met after the Auxem came to Earth looking for mates. Avren and Vanessa met years ago on a different planet while they were both in college. They were hot and heavy, but things didn't work because they were each holding themselves back. They both suffered from fear of heartbreak and they both had some pretty serious abandonment issues. They finally came back together to work on a cure for the pain the men feel whenever their wings come out. Throughout they work of their experiments they came back together romantically as well as professionally. I really like their story as it is filled with second chance love, action, betrayal and triumph. Well done to the author and the narrators. Together they made this a phenomenal story and performance. Wish there was more. Guess I'll head back to TerraMates for more.
Profile Image for Mariah.
1,513 reviews52 followers
July 30, 2017
I read this as an arc and this is my honest review!

Another excellent addition to the Auxem arc. All have beautiful covers and out of this world stories. I'm so glad we made it to Auxem as it was both beautiful but filled with terrifying creatures. People eating nightmares I'm glad we're never described in detail and never appeared in the story as more than a threat. Our heroes Avren and Vanessa are at odds with their own heart most of the story, Vanessa is scared of him leaving and therefore breaking her heart, and Avren is afraid she will chose her work over him again and break his heart. Their twin fears are palpable and readily appear often throughout the story making sometimes heart wrenching turns. I loved it, because those turns sometimes took us down a breathtaking road as well.

I seriously hope this isn't the end of the Auxem arc. I'm afraid it is though. The Madellan brothers were awesome to know and so very different from one another and I enjoyed every second so far of their entwined stories.
Profile Image for Space Cowgirl.
3,630 reviews90 followers
June 5, 2018
BORN TO FLY🔥💘

ARC received for an honest review!

Avren🐺🍌🌋, the gorgeous flying man god, a living 👼Angel, starts out as kind of a wuss in this book. He is running after his old lady 💘love scientist, Veronica, to try to get her to do secret pain management and gene manipulation research with him. It's all about trying to stop or reverse the Auxem men's sterility🍌🌋 issues and to figure out a way to keep their wing deployment pain😭 to a minimum. He has furnished a new state of the art lab🔬 to woo her with.

Avren🐺🍌🌋🔥 still wants her to be his, but he knows she is all about her career. With Veronica💋🔬, It was always about her career in science. Maybe Veronica💋🔬 is having second thoughts about Avren?
Veronica💋 crushed Avren's heart💔 once already, he is going to try to not fall under her spell again. It's going to be a tall order because he will be working closely with her on their secret project🔬.
YEHAW! Ride em Bareback🍌, Cowgirl!🐎🐎🐎🐎
Profile Image for Jill.
491 reviews
June 23, 2017
Avren is considered the geeky brother but I love those sexy, smart guys. He's just as hot and sexy as the others but he's also a genius. He's working on a way to help with the pain when the males wings come out but needs help with his research. He needs his ex girlfriend Veronica who is a research scientist. However, the breakup was not a good one. She was entirely too career focused and couldn't be bothered with things outside of work. It almost seemed like an obsession and I wanted to shake some sense into her but Avren decides that since they'll be working together he will use that time to get her back. He will find a way to make her fall in love with him so they can bond. This time he isn't letting her walk away from him. There were appearances made by the others from previous books so we got to see the gang again. You should definitely read the other books first or you'll be a bit confused.
Profile Image for Vivian Chrisman.
2,735 reviews4 followers
August 7, 2017
Fueled with a desire to end the pain all Auxem's-especially his brother Allex- suffer when they let their wings out, Avren asks his former girlfriend for help. Vanessa is a talented geneticist who chose her career over Avren. Vanessa knows she can't have it all and men always leave therefore her work is all she needs. When she agrees to help Avren find a solution, Vanessa knows that in the end they will go their own ways once again. As they search for an answer, both try to keep their feelings out of the equation. Someone doesn't want Avren and Vanessa to find a cure and will go to any lengths to stop them. I loved this book! What a great story to end the Auxem series with. All the Madellan brothers are hot and their mates were perfect for them.

*I received a Advance Readers Copy of this book which I am voluntarily reviewing*
Profile Image for Christine Karmelreads2665 W..
1,809 reviews5 followers
June 23, 2017
Long Time Love

Once I started this book I could not put it down. I believe of this story line this may be the best book yet.

Avren may have been the youngest brother but he also had held a secret for a long time.

The author has done a great job is summoning up the storyline of the princely brothers that can fly. Well keeping the story moving and intriguing with characters so nicely fleshed-out that you could actually imagine what they look like, see their actions as the story continued and have a good picture of what their life was like the author did a great job.

I read this book in on sitting as I had to know what was going on in Avren's life.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book received from the author.
Profile Image for Pam Louis.
1,728 reviews7 followers
August 8, 2017
Auren is a prince and a scientist from Auven his planet is hot by a virus killing it's women and in time the males will become infertile. The first time they tried to make plans with earth to get help it failed so Avren and his brothers left to find thier own mates and they have all but Avren. He isn't really looking because he found the women he wants the problem is Vanessa walked away from him for her career and doesn't think he would stay anyways.
Well he is back now and planing to win her back with a lab, fame and glory and anything else he can think of. Lol
Can she work with him or will it just lead to heartache?
Lots of twists and turns in this story love the characters.
Voluntarily reviewed a copy and I honestly enjoyed it
Profile Image for Amy.
315 reviews
May 5, 2018
I loved this new series that is an offshoot to the TerraMates series. It is a stand alone book with its own happily ever after, but deals with 5 brothers and they are all in each of the books so if you want to avoid any spoilers, you should read them in order.

I enjoyed all of the books in this series. Each brother is his own man and comes with his share of hurt/heartache. They each also have their own area of expertise in which they excel and it makes for 5 completely different books/stories. My only complaint would be that there are only 5 brothers and now it's all over! I look forward to the next series and hope it's another offshoot. It's nice to occasionally check in with some of the other characters and see how they are doing.
Profile Image for Shannon.
3,437 reviews21 followers
June 8, 2019
voluntarily reviewed an arc of this book.

Avren is the youngest prince in Auxem, he's a scientist and incredibly determined to save the people on his planet from the terrible pain they have from opening their wings. He turns to the love of his life, fellow geneticist, Vanessa to help. Although they ended their romance years ago they haven't forgotten each other.

Working together to solve the problem brings them closer together and all their feelings just deepen but when danger comes to the lab, Avren will do anything to keep Vanessa safe.

Wonderful story, real emotion pours off the pages, a family bond that is strong and a love that withstood years. Intrigue and action also kept me interested.
Profile Image for SJ.
1,844 reviews15 followers
June 22, 2017
I received a free reader copy of this book and voluntarily decided to review it

This is book five in the series about the five Auxem princes. Avren is the nerd of the family. He wants Vanessa's help to "cure" a problem all Auxem males have. They dated in the past and Vanessa does not really want to have to deal with Avren again, her feelings are still unresolved.

With excitement and danger, love and romance this book is an exciting scorching read which ties up all five stories at the end. Although this can be read as a standalone, I would highly recommend you read this fantastic series in order to get the best out of it

Lisa Lace is an amazing writer and I highly recommend this series
Profile Image for Trudy.
621 reviews9 followers
August 18, 2017
Throughout the Auxem Series I have had many questions and this latest installation finally answers them. Lisa went a different direction with Avren and Vanessa’s story. Of course there was sexy characters, adventure, excitement and steamy sex-not-sex (if you’ve read about the Auxem Men then you know what I mean, wow! Who could have thought that almost sex could be so HOT!) but she added a bit of mystery and intrigue that kept me guessing why. I loved how all my questions were answered, getting caught up on all my favorite characters from the series, knowing where it all led but I really loved Avren and Vanessa and all they had to overcome to get to their HEA.
Profile Image for Patricia DeChant Kieffer.
569 reviews3 followers
July 2, 2017
Avren by Lisa Lace

Vanessa is on planet Susohn and works in molecular geneticist. Avren is from the planet Auxen and was involved with Vanessa but they had broking up. Avren has come to ask Vanessa to work with him on his planet. This is a love story that you can't help rooking for these two to get together. I love these books of brothers from Auxen finding love. I highly recommend this book and all the books in this series. I would give this story a 10 if I could. I voluntarily reviewed this advanced reader copy.
Profile Image for Adellis.
476 reviews13 followers
May 11, 2022
Another book full of action, intrigue, science, mistrust and love that won in spite of everything!
Well, how it would not when she meets him in such clothes... Or, almost no clothes...
Now that I see all 5 covers one after the other, OMG, how I survived all this :) wink wink!
Avren is a smart brother, and in fact he loves a woman who can be his partner in everything.
They are dealing with a scientific problem and a saboteur who is working against them all the time ...
A great end to an interesting series that really stands out from other TM books!

Profile Image for Hsu Lee.
1,736 reviews5 followers
June 14, 2017
ARC - I voluntarily offered to review this book with no obligations and my opinions are honest!
Vanessa & Avren had history together.
Now Avren is back asking for her help.
Can she help him ?
He left before. Woudl he leave again?
Vanessa does not want to get hurt again, but she is a doctor sworn to help people.
Now Avren has a second chance to set things right.
He will convince Vanessa that she is the one for him.
Drama, romance, love + hot sex
Run + buy the book
Profile Image for Miranda.
381 reviews34 followers
June 22, 2017
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about Avren's book. The beginning was a bit hard for me to get through. Not so much because it wasn't a good read so far. More like they had already loved each other and were both just too scared to admit it.

Probably about halfway through, I was really getting into it. I ended up falling in love with Avren and Vanessa.

I absolutely adored the epilouge and getting to read about the entire family years down the road.
Profile Image for Tera Comer.
2,136 reviews40 followers
July 26, 2017
This is the last book in the series and I am sad to see it end. I love the Auxem planet and their princes. There is plenty of intrigue to keep you reading to find out if the task that Avren has taken gets complete. I loved Vanessa, she is that nerdy female that always puts work ahead of everything else, but in the end she realizes just what she was missing. I received a free copy of this book and volunteered to review it.
2,109 reviews9 followers
July 27, 2017
Exciting Conclusion to this series!

Avren is trying to make life better for the Auxem. He needs the help of his ex-Vanessa; a brilliant molecular geneticist. Ironically both believe the other left them, but are left with unresolved feelings toward each other.

Career versus relationship, Auxem secrets and dangerous sabotage all coalesce in this exciting conclusion to this out-of-this world series.

*** I am voluntarily leaving my honest review of this book ***
Profile Image for Sophie Koufes.
1,915 reviews23 followers
June 21, 2017
Description: Science Fiction Romance Novel
Standalone - However, characters & storyline crossover from previous books. Should be read in order for more enjoyment.
Avren - Prince of Auxem
Vanessa - Ex-girlfriend & the one that got away
I love the cover of these books on this series.
Avren is the last prince of Auxem & the nerdy hot one that is not married yet.This is a fun read that will keep you intrigued throughout the story. The banter between Avren & Vanessa is cute. With a epilogue that is wrapped up perfectly to end the series. I volunteerly reviewed an advanced reading copy of this book.
Profile Image for Stacey.
778 reviews
June 19, 2017
Wow let me just first say how I love the book cover design is amazing. I loved loved this story alot from the story plot to reading how the MC were introduced and how they​ got together.lisa lace story telling is amazing and fun to read I never got bored with this book.Overall the book contents was great.I voluntarily read An Advance reader copy of this book and my opinion are my own.
Profile Image for LuDena .
2,275 reviews2 followers
September 4, 2017
Averen/Abduction

This book contains more than one story : the first Averen finishes the Auxem series . Villains are outed and the family finally gets their HEA. Abduction has all three sections put together into one story ,I absolutely loved the story and hope Is a Lace will make it into a series . Hopefully it she does it won't be broken up.
Profile Image for Danae.
121 reviews1 follower
April 10, 2022
I can’t believe she’s a New York bestseller. The dialogue is forced. There’s pretty much no plot. It’s straight romance. However, all the couples in this series seem to fall in love within 1 to 2 days, followed by a lifetime unbreakable mating. I’m very glad I got the series free and didn’t actually pay for this.
255 reviews
June 14, 2017
This book just couldn't keep me interested. The beginning to middle went very slowly then it got better towards the end. This is the first book that I have read in the series so that may have had some impact with keeping my interest with not really knowing the back story.
146 reviews5 followers
June 15, 2017
Second chance at love for the last prince. I like how it has come full circle - from being on the brink of dying out in the 1st book to painless wing deployment in the last book. Good wrap up of the series! Suggest reading in order. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
9,632 reviews101 followers
June 24, 2017
A fairly sexy book, to be read only if that's your style. Although it's usually not mine, it made a great read anyway. It's worth a try, as the characters and story are great. This author is fabulous. Received an ARC.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 40 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.