Start by marking “The Defiant (The Valiant #2)” as Want to Read:
The Defiant (The Valiant #2)

The Defiant

(The Valiant #2)

Gladiator Fallon and her warrior sisters must face off against a rival gladiator academy in this lush sequel to the highly anticipated historical fantasy The Valiant.

They call her "Victrix" now. Victory.

But winning the highest honor ever bestowed upon a gladiatrix in Rome has earned Fallon more deadly enemies outside the arena than she ever faced within it. And it is those
Published January 23rd 2018 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Defiant, please sign up.
Lisa I'm really surprised to hear there will be a third book as I thought everything was wrapped up pretty well

Start your review of The Defiant (The Valiant #2)
The Valiant was one of my favorite new YA books of 2017. The concept was fascinating imagining the existence of a training school devoted to making women into gladiatrices. It felt fresh with high stakes. Any predictable moments didn't bother me because the story held its own. I'm beginning to think this should've been left as a standalone because The Defiant didn't do anything for me. In fact..as excited as I was to dive back into this world, the excitement slowly dwindled down as I got into ...more
Suzanne
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
This series is so good! I was hooked from book one with a female gladiator on the cover. As soon as I started reading the first book I wanted a trilogy right away! The sequel was very good but I did like the first book better but that seems to be normal in a lot of trilogies. I however CANNOT wait for next year’s third book to come out (even though the second just came out last week). This series and these characters are so entertaining! I just know the third book is going to be ridiculousl
Veronique
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
"They call her Victrix now. Victory"

I think this book was not the right one for me for this moment. I enjoyed the Valiant very much, however I was unfortunately not as enthusiastic with this book.

You follow the story of our Victrix Fallon which endures a lot of heartbreak at the beginning of the book where her Ludus is taken over by an incredible rude and (in my imagination ugly) man who wants nothing but exceed in everything he does whatever it takes.

It was fun but not like I hoped it would be
Alyssa
Feb 12, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'M HERE FOR THIS.

Well, assuming the romance stays put. :P
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/01/20/...

I adored the first book—finally, a Young Adult novel I was really hyped up for that didn’t disappoint me—but this sequel was even better. I think it’s safe to say if you enjoyed The Valiant, then The Defiant will continue to impress.

Warning: possible spoilers for the first book if you haven’t read it yet! Our series protagonist, Fallon, has gone from Celtic princess to captured slave to Rome’s most beloved gladiatrix, but
⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess)
Gladiatrices, badass, ruthless warrior women, political intrigue, love, sacrifice - this is pretty much what The Defiant is about. And I loved every single page of it. This is truly a worthy sequel!

I love the world of ancient Rome because for once it's something different, something I didn't read about before in ya fantasy. I love that it's based on actual places, characters and happenings - we have Caesar, Cleopatra and gladiator fights. And Lesley Livingston cleverly weaves these real elements
melissafandomworld
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, this was a really enjoyable read.

At one point though, I got stuck with this book. But this wasn't really due to the contents of the book if I'm being honest, but had more to do with my mood that's so fickle and can change so fast haha. Because basically every time I ended up with the book in my hands, I flew through each chapter and couldn't stop. It was such a fast-paced read!!

My only remark really is the fact that there's basically no surprise to the story line development in general
Lisa
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/0...

4.5/5 Stars

I’ll be honest, I read The Valiant by Lesley Livingston pretty much on a whim last year. It wasn’t a book that was on my radar until after it was released, which is unusual. I read a couple of glowing reviews for it for that essentially made me set my review books to the side because it sounded so good. I was glad I did because it just happened to have everything I love and in just the right amounts. I am very happy
Esmée

So I just spend the entire day on a financial report for this crazy project I'm working on for uni, and it was almost fun to do but because I listened to this audiobook. It was so addicting, I read it in one sitting. I've been waiting for this book for a year, and now I'll have to spend another year highly anticipating the next one...
Lindsay
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, dissapointed
The much acclaimed sequel to The Valiant started off with a bang regarding a competition between the two rival gladiator academies happening for the benefit of a bored Cleopatra. Fallon and her friends battle the Amazons, ultimately winning the reenactment and achieving the crowd's approval. The following day, Cai and two members of his legion appear at the academy and Fallon is reunited with her boyfriend after so many months. Everything in her world seems to be going smoothly: her friends, her ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I didn't enjoy The Defiant (The Valiant #2) by Lesley Livingston quite as much as the first book, but it's still a solid YA historical action adventure story. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed the audiobook production a little more since it's narrated by Fiona Hardingham who is one of my favorite voices. I'm still looking forward to the picking up the finale. I would certainly like to read more books set in this time period in the future.
AziaMinor
actual rating 3.5

"Not in strength are we inferior to men, the same our eyes, our limbs the same; one common light we see, one air we breath. What then denied to us have the gods on man bestowed?"

Fallon and her fellow Gladiatrices are back. When her Ludus is attacked and commandeered and her sister taken, she and her friends flee, first to recapture her sister from what they thought was an extinct civilization of warriors, and then take back what is there's from the traitors within their group.

F
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
⚔️

This book took me far longer to finish than it should have, bloody reading slump!! *shakes fist vehemntly* But that is not a reflection on the book itself. Between a slump, a cold, a strong allergy meds as well it's just not been a good reading month.

As for the book, I actually wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I'd be. I loved the Valiant and heard this one was even more action-packed, etc. And yet...and yet I just never got fully engrossed in it. It may have been the conditions I was
christina
This installment wasn't bad, the history and story telling was still entertaining. All the girl power moments were fantastic as well. However, the twists & betrayals in the plot were very, very obvious. I was also hoping for a new love interest for Fallon. Overall, this is a fun series and I look forward to seeing how the final third book turns out.

Audiobook: great accents, Fiona Hardingham is definitely one of my fav narrators.

-------------------------

The Valiant, #1 ★★★★☆
The Defiant, #2 ★★★☆☆
T
Tabi  (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jul 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL OVER THAT PERFECT COVER!!!
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
For more review follow my blog shades of paper

Okay, I was super excited about this book because I read The Valiant last year and really enjoyed, so I read it as soon as I managed to grab a copy.

Turns out, I liked the book and I think it was a very interesting sequel, but I didn’t love it as much as the first book. It was slower, and the plot took a while longer to develop. However, I really enjoyed knowing more about Fallon and what was she going through, and of course, I loved the female friend
Lisa
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/0...

4.5/5 Stars

Di
I really enjoyed The Valiant when I read it earlier this year and I was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy of The Defiant from Razorbill, even though it was past publication date which I am very grateful for! This has not effected my rating and all opinions are my own.

“But even if we’re too late for rescue, we’ll still be right on time for revenge.”

The Defiant was a really great sequel and I loved the themes explored in these books. Firstly, there's the kickass female gladiators (gladiatri
Rivka
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG OMG!
When I picked up The Valiant last year I didn't expect it to be one of the favorite book EVER!
Now i finished the sequel and I. AM. OBSESSED to a point of no return!
We got some new characters who fast became some of my favorites! We got a new OTP and I SHIP IT so much!!!
And of course let's not forget brave Fallon and her crazy adventures!!!
Go read this! ASAP!!!
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

How could I not love this? The story was a fast-paced, action-packed, fun, funny and dramatic historical fiction. And the drama!!! So much drama!

A satisfying middle book that exceeded my expectations.

Full review to come.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Now that was a really bloody ending! only con was I could tell the big betrayal by the mid way point. Really curious what direction the third book is gonna go in.
Monique V
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
SUCH A GOOD BOOK!!

I am highly enjoying this series. It's romantic, action packed and has some great characters that I have become very attached to! I cannot wait to see what the next book has in store!!
Tati
While I understand the reasoning behind having a year between books in a series, it doesn't help my memory. You see, after a year, I can barely remember who was who and what happened in the previous book. That was the case here. I knew this was about gladiatrixes, but I had completely forgot about key plot elements.

So, whenever someone appeared that I was supposed to remember, my reaction was:

description

I also went in thinking this was a duology. Much to my surprise, it is a trilogy. So I still don't know
Hazel
Ooookay.... not very interesting.

Ending the series here.
Andreea Zelenyak
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first book wasn’t so good in my opinion, but, the author did a better job with the sequel. This was more interesting than the first book, bloody and full of action and adventure, rituals. The Amazons and the Sons of Dis were a nice touch...4 stars ✨
“Tomorrow we would bury the dead. We would throw open the Ludus Achillea gates. And we would carry on. Defiant, triumphant, together.”
Alexandra
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

My wonderful group of gladiatrix returns! I really enjoyed the sequel of "The Valiant" with the action, the romance and the mystery! Fallon is the star gladiatrix of her ludus with her sister and her fellow warriors ready to enjoy a life of freedom. But when folly forces them to escape, followed by Cai and his friend Quintus, they will discover a plan to even overthrow Ceasar himself.

With cameo appearances of Cleopatra, sea travel to an island of 'Amazo
Ainslee || Jest and Hearts
Loved this! Just like I loved The Valiant. While there wasn’t as much bloodshed as I would have liked it was still fantastic. I can’t wait for The Triumphant!!
Winter
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
4 Stars

A good continuation to the series. I can't wait to see what next book has to offer. Although I guess I have to for once since it's not out yet.
Jaime Arkin
Love Fiona Hardingham as a narrator and this series is amazing! Go read it!
Kori Sulewski (korireads)
What a great sequel! Ancient Rome and fierce, female gladiators and a super cute romance... loved it! I can’t say the books are anything groundbreaking, but they’re right up my alley so I was totally entertained.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • The Traitor's Ruin (The Traitor's Circle, #2)
  • Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Recruit (Bodyguard #1, part 1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The King of Burning Skies (Queen of Cursed Things, #2)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • The Traitor Prince
  • Forged in Fire and Stars (Forged in Fire and Stars, #1)
  • Nightblood (Frostblood Saga, #3)

The Valiant (3 books)
  • The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
  • The Triumphant (The Valiant, #3)