Start by marking “The Line Tender” as Want to Read:
The Line Tender

The Line Tender

Heartbreaking, hilarious and filled with hope, The Line Tender is the story of Lucy, the daughter of a marine biologist and a rescue diver, and the summer that changes her life. If she ever wants to lift the cloud of grief over her family and community, she must complete the research her late mother began. She must follow the sharks.

Wherever the sharks led, Lucy Everhart’s
Expected publication: April 16th 2019 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about The Line Tender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Line Tender

Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having been a children's librarian for over 20 years, it's very rare for me to say that there's a new book unlike any I've read so far, but in this case, it's absolutely true. Kids are crazy about sharks. I'm crazy about sharks. So when this galley landed on my desk, with it's stunning, shark-filled cover and even more shark illustrations within, I was already in. But then the story and the characters took over and I couldn't help but fall in love with all of them: the heartbreaking Lucy who you ...more
Cindy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, you read about a book and it is so precisely your kind of book that you know without even reading it you'll love it. Such was the case with THE LINE TENDER, a debut middle grade coming from Dutton next spring. This book combines so many of my favorite things: a small seaside town, ocean life, grizzled fishermen, sweet preteen friendships, coming of age, and grief.

Kate Allen writes in a sparsely lyrical, straightforward voice; Lucy's discomfort in her own new-feeling body, her frustrat
Jessie_Book
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful inside and out. I honestly have a huge fear of sharks and always will, but now I have a little bit more appreciation for them (though this book is not entirely about sharks). Even with my fear of sharks I loved just about everything in this book. Its more of a character driven book with sweet moment between people who are grieving and those who had drifted away. This is a sweet simple book that will tug at your heart strings yet leave a smile on your face.
Tory
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, middle-years
Mary
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Thanks to the librarian at my local library for giving me her advance reading copy of this book. Brought it home and read a chapter and then read the book straight through. I really liked this book!

I loved that the story is set in Rockport, Massachusetts, a resort/fishing town I first visited for a week the summer I was 16. Lucy and Fred are more like 12 or 13, but their summer meandering around town struck me as both kid realistic and the beaches and wharves and stores familiar.

The sometimes he
Julia Wilson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This lovely little mid-grade reader will be published next spring and I think it will receive some good reviews. Lucy lives with her dad on the coast of Massachusetts. Her mom, a marine biologist died suddenly when Lucy was seven but along with her dad, Lucy has Fred, her best friend, Mr Patterson, her neighbor and lots of other friends in the community. When the unthinkable happens and Fred dies in an accident, Lucy's carefully tended world turns upside down.
How she puts the pieces back togeth
Clay
Jan 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: middle-grade
This middle-grade novel about loss, grief and recovery after a death has a second tragedy early in the story that, for me, came too soon, left me feeling cheated, and made the book top-heavy. My head understands why the author made this choice (it propels a grief-stuck family and friends to come to terms with the death of five years before), and yet my heart felt the second tragedy coming so soon in the book didn't give me sufficient time with and investment in the object of that tragedy. And st ...more
SANDRA DEINSTADT
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, informative and full of emotion. Great read for all ages.
Kimberley Burg
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely writing interspersed with beautiful drawings. Made me appreciate sharks. Tender coming-of-age story appropriate for middle schoolers.
Amy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This reminded me of both The Thing About Jellyfish and Olive's Ocean (two books I love). I have a few minor quibbles with vocabulary (why is "farty" used so much to describe noises) and I found the shark dissection a little gruesome to read, but on the whole it was sad and sweet and moving and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Lizzy