Start by marking “The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi” as Want to Read:
The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi

The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi

The renowned Indian sage Ramana Maharshi is beloved by Buddhists, Hindus, Christians, and Taoists alike for the inspirational power of his teachings, which transcend all religious differences. Here is a collection of Sri Ramana's instructions and discourses culled from three works: Who Am I? , Spiritual Instructions , and Maharshi's Gospel. These teachings are arranged by ...more
Published 1998 by Shambhala Publications, Inc (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi

Start your review of The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi
Darlene Rebechi
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important books I have ever read.
cary hardin
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: not the faint-of-heart...
this is one of the hardest books i've ever read. it's existentialism to the Nth degree. it's a cocktail of philosophy and spirituality. it's so simple, it's hard. it's so hard, it's simple. my yoga teacher, tony, told me about this book two years ago. this isn't the sort of book through which one plows and tosses aside. it's a book to go back to and which to refer over and over.

maharshi realized, at the age of 16, that he needed to relinquish all personal possessions and belongings, as well as f
Dana
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will be re-reading for years before I realize everything that is inside, if ever. My dad noticed I was toting a copy and told me he's been keeping this book by the side of his bed for years, saying it was the last book he ever had to read before he 'got it'. He still references it to this day. A book for the serious student of self-realization and Eastern practice.
R Nair
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lifelong exposure to scientific training can engender a deeprooted apprehension towards any tomes proclaiming spiritual edification. For many books written on the subject, that sense of foreboding, foretelling sweeping Godly claims of intuitional rather than empirical knowledge is often times prophetic.
This is where this book differes from the rest.
Self realization resulting from intense concentration is not new to science. Whether there be a possible as yet unproven biochemical reason for t
Loran (Inked with Curiosity)
I recognize that Ramana Maharshi is one of the most important figures in Indian Spirituality and my review is in no way an attempt to diminish the value in his teachings. That being said I didn't enjoy this book at all. It was required reading for one of my classes in school and I just felt detached while reading. I didn't agree or feel touched or moved by his teachings and it just didn't resonate with me; also I didn't understand a lot of what he said either. I admire his influence in India but ...more
Edward Michael
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
extreme sincerity and constant inner questionning are the two requisite for a genuine spiritual enlightenment
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Another indispensable classic. Some of the exchanges are more meritricious than others, and, as much as I love Jung, his introduction to this work is, in my opinion, a completely "miss" and should be skipped (or read with caution :)), but otherwise this is an excellent collection of the teachings of one of the great jnana yogis of this or any age....
jacqs
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Completely excellent. Like direct transmissions for recognizing your true Self. No convoluted paradigms.
Cindi Leacock
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The meditation method I have used and enjoyed with the best results after 35 years of trying.
Cristina Capozzi
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Immenso insegnamento.
Un libro da leggere e rileggere, non tanto per capire, quanto per intuire con cuore la ricchezza che contiene.
Una luce sul sentiero!
Brono
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"True Knowledge does not create a new Being for you; it only removes your 'ignorant ignorance" was among the teachings of Sri Bhagavan on this short and powerful book.

Once you question the existence of the world and its things it is inevitable to come across this sage who's words came from the Heart known as the Seat of Consciousness.

His simplicity with words to explain the mundane things as well as Reality cross a bridge and make connection with so much that it's never tiring to absorb his te
Daniel Prasetyo
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book consists of Sri Ramana's instructions and discourses from three works: Who Am I?, Spiritual Instructions, and Maharishis's Gospel, and foreword by the great Carl G. Jung, these teachings arranged by conversations of some topics like renunciation, silence, bhakti, jnana, self-realization, mind control, self-inquiry, etc. you will find find an answer of your spiritual questions in this book. I find the great quote here: "To see God is to be God, the is no "all" apart from God for Him to ...more
Hal
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A truly great modern spiritual classic from one of the greatest twentieth century sages (perhaps THE greatest) of Advaita Vedanta, India's contribution to the nondual teachings. You don't have to believe in any religion or anything else to revel in the Maharshi's profundity, simplicity, and clarity. This is one of the books that started me on the spiritual search, and I return to it again and again.
Phanindra
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A gem of a book! Contains the popular "who am I" discourse too and other conversations filled with lot of insight. It sure has lot of Sanskrit spiritual jargon which normally bores me but Ramana maharshi explains the concepts quite succinctly which makes even the jargon interesting! Highly recommended to those who want to understand Vedanta concepts.
Jaret Manuel
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Simply an awesome book!
Sabio
Jul 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Excellent teachings on the meditative Hindu tradition by a saint.
Steve
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ramana Maharshi always good-- the essence of Vedanta.
Jagvir
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a gem
Austin
I... need to read this again to really absorb it. Sometimes the ideas are really general and helpful, but sometimes they're referring to concepts that I have never read about before. Would like to revisit after gathering more historical context.
Bruce Geils
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Here is the ultimate reality.
William Jojo
I book was well presented. I did grow tired of the question/answer form of the content. While it was insightful, if it were presented in a different form, I think I may have enjoyed it more.
Madi
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A short and concise version of how to reach samadhi and connect with the Self.
Gabriel Dee

• The Bhagavad Gita
  • The Upanishads
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • Death Must Die: A Western Woman's Life Long Spiritual Quest In India And Its Fulfilment Through Her Guru, Shree Anandamayee Ma:  The Diaries Of Atmananda
  • An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life
  • The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose
  • My Spiritual Journey
  • Sport is Life, Life is Sport
  • Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
  • The Dhammapada
  • Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now
  • Ramana Maharshi: Teachings of Self-Realization
  • Watershed 1967: India's Forgotten Victory Over China
  • Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi
  • Stocks and Life: Snippets from the life of Abhishek Kar
  • Jaipur Journals
  • Keeper'n Me
Bhagavan Sri Ramaṇa Mahārṣi (Tamil: ரமண மஹரிஷி) born Venkataraman Iyer, was probably the most famous Indian sage of the twentieth century, he was born on December 30, 1879 in a village called Tirucculi about 30 miles south of Madurai in southern India. His middle-class parents named him Venkataraman. His father died when he was twelve, and he went to live with his uncle in Madurai, where he attend ...more

News & Interviews