Start by marking “The Twin Arrows (The Twin Arrows, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Twin Arrows (The Twin Arrows, #1)

The Twin Arrows (The Twin Arrows #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Two children. Two journeys. Twin arrows.

Ryla follows her father's parting instructions as closely as she carries his gift. Her protectors are kind, and safety is certain inside the convent's strong walls. But now she must leave and what lies ahead is uncertain...

Her brother Drewin won't wait any longer. The knight promised to escort him isn't coming, and gossiping neighbor
Published July 3rd 2017 by Toward Home Press (first published July 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Twin Arrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twin Arrows

Kate Willis
May 22, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
2018 Re-read
Just read this to take notes so I can ensure continuity in books #2 and #3. ;)

Original Review
Look, a book! This kingdom adventure story is targeted at readers ages 8-12 but has been enjoyed by a wide age group. ;) I can't wait to share it with you!
Sarah Grace
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 8+
Simply lovely!

I adored this short, fantasy read. Growing up, I really didn't read *any* fantasy, as it was just so hard to find anything clean for the age range. THIS is what I wished I could read when I was 8-14. Entirely clean of any magic, violence, langauge, or other explicit material, this book is one I would highly recommend. Extremely well written, gripping story, great characters, just awesomeness.
Allison Tebo
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
I had the privilege of being on Kate’s team of beta-readers for the Twin Arrows and it was a truly enjoyable experience and a lovely book.

Middle-grade fiction is often an underappreciated and overlooked age range, but it was one of the most important phrases of reading in a person’s life. Kate does a wonderful job creating clean, exciting books for this age-range that NEVER talks down to the reader. There is quite a bit of story packed into this book with a very definite and lovely sense of sett
Hannah
Well, I knew from snippets shared during NaNo that this was going to be a good book, but it’s even better than I hoped. Full five stars for this well-written, enjoyable quick read about two siblings caught in a medieval conflict and whose father has provided for their safety—but they have to do as he has said to survive.

A clean story, suitable for the whole family but also complex enough to be enjoyable to adults.
E.F.B.
This was a wonderful read with a fun, dramatic adventure, touching moments, and characters I would enjoy seeing more of. I especially liked that it featured a healthy brother/sister relationship, which is something that is sadly lacking in much of today’s fiction. My only complaint is that it was short.
Karis
When I signed up to beta read The Twin Arrows by Kate Willis, I was eagerly looking forward to it, having heard good things about the author but having never read anything by her. Well, let me just say, I have never enjoyed beta reading as much as I did while working with this fabulous group of betas and an equally awesome author who was always quick to get back with our comments and suggestions, asking us once she changed it, “How does this work?” It was an absolute delight and honor for me to ...more
Angela R. Watts
The Twin Arrow by Kate Willis is a very clean, sweet, and refreshing story. The messages were the ones that I think too many people simply forget- honoring your parents, obeying God, and the power of love. Nowadays, it seems so many people just lack these basic commandments of God. It was very exciting to see a book that took these lessons and wove them into an interesting story!
The characters in this book were well-rounded. The characters were all realistic- even the younger characters and te
Rebekah Morris
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though I’m not usually fond of medieval stories, I did enjoy this one. It was short and I wanted to know more, but it was a fun read. The siblings were different and acted according to their own way of thinking, but the message of it all was good. A delightful read for anyone looking for a short, fun, action filled story complete with knights, danger and trust.

I received this book free for my honest review.
Maddy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The Twin Arrows is a short story about two siblings. It was super sweet and I really enjoyed it. Ryla and Drewin have the sweetest brother/sister relationship that had me smiling throughout the whole book. The story line was well thought out and I loved seeing how the story unfolded. I loved reading about both siblings, but especially enjoyed reading about Ryla.

I really enjoyed the authors writing style. She is very talented! Her wring is very enjoyable to read. I would recommend this to anyone.
Emily
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

My overall feeling? "Awwwwwww!"

This story is just pure sweetness, with just the right amount of action. The author weaves in a thread of faith and redemption effortlessly. Honestly, the writing is just beautiful and mellifluous. I so enjoyed just the way Kate described everything and brought me into a different place.
That being said, the characters were just wonderful. I loved Ryla and Drewin AND THE KNIGHTS. Y'all.

My only complaint? I want MORE!!!! I felt like this was a slice out o
Lydia Howe
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why I Choose this Book:

I've been following Kate's blog, Once Upon an Ordinary, for a while, and I'm always impressed by her writing. Her style draws me in and is quite interesting. When I moved over to Wordpress from Blogger last year she graciously answered many questions I had via email, and ever since then we've kept up a correspondence. She's told me a little bit about Twin Arrows over the last several months, so when the chance came to read the book, I jumped at it.

(Last week I reviewed he
Allyson
The Twin Arrows is a short, enjoyable tale for any age. The story tells the tale of a young girl named Ryla and her older brother Drewin as they wait for protectors selected by their father to guide them to safety amidst unrest in the kingdom. While Ryla easily adapts to her new undercover persona, Drewin becomes restless and decides to follow his own route for safety. Does his rash plan help or hinder him in the end?

The main thing I liked about this cute story is how Ryla relies so heavily on G
Mary
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone and all ages, especially fans of fantasy and historical fiction.
Recommended to Mary by: Allison Tebo
I loved this wonderful little book so incredibly much! There was so much goodness and skilled writing packed into the short format. By turns sweet, adventurous, heartwarming, sad, exciting, and humorous, I highly enjoyed everything about this amazing story.

The characters were my favorite part - no surprise with me. Even in only a few pages, each character was extremely vivid, complex, and well-developed, especially the point-of-view characters, Drewin and Ryla. The main characters, the supporti
R.A.
This was a very interesting read!!!! Adventurous too!

The Characters:
Ryla - she was very sweet!! The nun thing was a bit odd, but I didn't feel uncomfortable reading about it!!
Drewin - I really liked him!!!!
Sir Larkin - ah yes! Everyone likes a young knight! He was great!!
Sir Wystan - a sweet old knight!!

The Story-line:
Really liked it!!! So neat as well!

All-in-all:
Loved it!!!! I've been wanting to read this story for a while and I'm glad I got to now!!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange f
Zane Jones
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a good story! Review to come, probably... But if I don't, know that I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Victoria Lynn
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

A charming short book! This novella was something I would have loved to read when I was 12-16. I wish there were more books like this when I was younger. It is still something I enjoyed today, though a little short. A quick medieval read that is lovely and enjoyable while fraught with suspense and enough excitement to keep a younger boy interested. I think this is the perfect book for girls and boys because the siblings are a brother and sister. The boy seeks adventure and the girls has
Els
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Note: I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

Hmmm.... that was very, very short.

And me and short stories generally do not get along. My favorite books are all over 500 pages long.
Perhaps I wouldn't have had such a problem with the shortness if it hadn't been for the two perspectives, often switching 3+ times in a chapter. Add frequent time skips to that, and... At a certain point I really wanted to sit down and hear a little backstory. We're here in this world with
Sarah Briel
I’ve been wanting to read this book ever since I knew it existed. I’m constantly searching for good Christian books and this satisfied it with the Christianity woven in beautifully with the adventure.

I feel in love with …

- the writing style. Everything flows perfectly, and there was there was the perfect balance of action, dialog, and description.
- the description itself. It added so much to the story without being overwhelming. I could picture everything perfectly in my head.
- the first chapt
Perry
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great story with beautiful prose and lots of heart. Very glad I read it!
Mikayla
The Twin Arrows was a very sweet short story. I loved how clearly the characters came across. Though this book was very fast, I still enjoyed seeing the different places the characters went. I mean who wouldn’t love how Sir Larkin got to drag Drewin around? It was awesome. But I loved Ryla's part best, she was awesome.
Overall, a very sweet book with a good message. It would be perfect to read aloud to younger siblings.
I always appreciate this authors style and her messages.

*I received an advanc
Sunny Houk
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review. This is the first book of Kate that I read and it was awesome. The Twin Arrows is a wonderful story about siblings and their faith and trust in God in the most dangerous of situations. The story itself reminded me of the Huguenots. I will continue to reread this story. Love the story. If I could rate this story a ten, I would.
Matthew Platt
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate did a fabulous job on this novella!! I really like how she portrayed so many different truths through so little words - that shows skill. Well done. :)
serena482*
This was a good, and interesting story. I really enjoyed it. :) There was enough action to keep you reading and interested. I would recommend it to ages 10-up. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Deborah
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Very engaging novella. I found the plot intriguing and the characters loveable. Not the mention that adorable cover! A very sweet story for all ages.
Elijah
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was great! I thoroughly enjoyed every page! The characters, and plot were fantastic. And the message this book brings across is clear, and above all, it gives all glory to God! Beta reading it was super fun!
JD Sutter
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short read

What a fun story! Great characters, a vivid story world, and well written dialogue. I felt like some detail was lacking that could have fleshed out the story more and given everything more depth, but overall this was a quite enjoyable short read.
Emma Grace
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, summer-reading
I just realized I never wrote a review... oops.

This book was really awesome!

What I liked:
•The characters were relatable. That (to me) makes of breaks a book. I have a really hard time liking books that had a main character I couldn't relate to.
•The plot was fast paced, but well developed.
•It was clean with nothing at all questionable.
•the biblical principles that were tied throughout the story

Things I disliked:
Nothing! :)

All in all, I really loved this book and would definitely reco
Angie Thompson
A well-written and enjoyable story!

I would recommend this book for preteens, advanced younger readers, and anyone of any age who appreciates a simple story with a great message.

What struck me from the moment I started reading was the parallel between the characters' journey and the Christian's walk of faith. The difference between the ways that Ryla and Drewin received and obeyed (or not) their father's instructions made me ponder how often I struggle to trust my heavenly Father when his help o
Laure Hittle
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really sweet story. i enjoyed the writing from the first paragraph, and appreciated the way the author revealed the backstory over the course of the book. i wish Ryla had had a bit more agency and that Drewin's development had been a bit more complex, but all in all i am very impressed and i can't wait to read the author's next book. Sir Larkin was my favorite character.
Molly Springer
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fiction
Not my cup of tea. Just couldn’t get into the story. I also found a spelling error which is a pet peeve of mine.
Kate Willis has been homeschooled her whole life in a loving family that values the Gospel of Jesus Christ, creativity, and thoughtful conversations. She is inspired by red shoes, a good story, little children, and chai tea. It is her desire to serve God in the home having a family of her own in the future. She is the author of The Treasure Hunt, The Twin Arrows, Kiera, and two short stories Enjoy ...more
More about Kate Willis

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
“Singing rose up from the convent, filling the woods with a peaceful echo that tried to penetrate her heart and smooth her features; but nothing could ease the pain of saying goodbye.” 6 likes
“Sir Wystan,” Ryla stated. “You have come. Is the danger quite near?”
“Not yet, little one, but it is always wise to be several steps ahead of it,” the old knight said gently.”
2 likes