Start by marking “Your Move: The Underdog's Guide to Building Your Business” as Want to Read:
Your Move: The Underdog's Guide to Building Your Business

Your Move: The Underdog's Guide to Building Your Business

In his first book in nearly a decade New York Times bestselling author Ramit Sethi cuts through the BS and bad advice to show you how to really escape the 9-to-5.

This no-nonsense guide distills the most important lessons Sethi learned building his dorm room blog into an 8-figure-a-year company.

If you want to build a business that makes you an extra 5-figures a month, thi
Published June 19th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Your Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Move

Daniel
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Ramit prides himself on giving away 98% of his material for free and charging a premium for the other 2%. As someone who has bought his courses, they're well worth every penny and I highly recommend them to others all the time.

That said, this book and bonus materials are the 98% he gives away for free in book form.

It's a repackaged version of what's been on his website and YouTube channel for years. Not that it's a bad thing, but nothing you haven't heard Ramit discuss at length before.

If you'r
Abi Olvera
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Second book by the guy who taught me how to automate my investments and savings. This book is quite short and it seems to mostly exist to promote his website. His website has full in-depth information which he could have put in the book but didn't. His website is a good sources of information though and talks more about how what type of businesses will be lucrative remotely.
Esther
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've known about Ramit Sethi for a few years now. I read his free material on his blog and in his emails, and I've signed up for a few of his courses. I really, really love his stuff. There are some really powerful concepts in it, and what I've applied has generally been awesome.

This book provides an excellent snapshot of some of Ramit's best stuff. For those who actually want to build a business from scratch, the courses Earn1K or Zero To Launch will likely be the obvious next step.

It's true t
Melanie
Disclaimer: I bought this book, and I've purchased two of his other courses (Finisher Formula and Success Triggers). So I'm familiar with Ramit's content and sales angles. Almost everything in the book has appeared in his emails and on his blog, down to the phrasing. And he redirects you to his website at least 35 times throughout the book.

So this book is about starting your own business, and notionally it works with goods and services but the examples that he uses are *only* services, and almos
Rob
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Given that I co-founded a startup 5 years ago, I'm not the target audience for this book. I read it primarily because I enjoy reading anything Ramit writes, and occasionally find a gem that I use myself or send along to others. Example of just fun Ramit-speak:

If you use generic phrases like “feeling motivated” and “I’m going to buckle down,” I can tell you you’re already going to fail.

Fun language aside, I really do agree with the way that he structures the thought process on starting your own o
Peter Backx
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
In this book, Ramit Sethi talks about the big things, the macro-optimizations, that you can do to change and upgrade your life.

If you are looking for tactics that you can apply right away and that will make an impact on your life tomorrow, this is probably not the right book and I think you're better of with some of Ramit's earlier writings.

This book is more one that makes you think about the bigger things and causes long-term change. This can be a good thing.

It also means it's a bit vague and h
Irene
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This is a conversational, easy to read, high level book about tactics and ways of thinking that would be useful for beginning entrepreneurs looking to build a personal business from the ground up. All the content is basically the same as other stuff Sethi has released in other places. I have actually read the same stories - sometimes word for word - in his email blasts and blog articles. He decided to compile them into an ebook. Good for him! But, as someone who has read a lot of his material, I ...more
Seth
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally read a book from Ramit. I've always heard good things, but I must admit I was turned off by the whole "I will teach you to be rich" moniker. I don't know that I would go out of my way to recommend this book, but it was the right book for this time of my life. As someone who has desires of entrepreneurship, but suffers from a lot of impostor syndrome, this is giving me a nudge to follow up on some passion projects / side hustle ideas. A lot of it for me is countering the narrative that ...more
Dan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Timing!

I have been on Ramit's email list for years and I have always been entertained by his posts. But this particular book came along at exactly the right time for me. The very down-to-earth, practical strategies it offers were exactly what I needed, especially where I am in starting my online business. I took notes and highlighted page after page and not only plan to review my annotations frequently, but am committed to implementing the ideas covered in this book. Thank you, Ramit. I h
Kristi Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read all my reviews at: https://brainfartsandbooks.wordpress.com

There is something to be said about books that are short, to the point, and give great content…THEY ARE AWESOME! This is the first book I’ve read by Ramit and apparently many others have read his other books and taken his courses. I love the fact that Ramit gives tons of free content as this is what I strive to do in my business everyday. This book gives you the yeses and the nos when it comes to starting a profitable business. Not
Ali  M.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-finance
This is essentially a condensed version of the 'Build Your Own Business' stuff on Ramit's two sites (IWillTeachYoutoBeRich.com and Growthlab.com). As such its incredibly valuable. Definitely worth the price, though I wouldn't quite evangelize it like I do with his first book (I Will Teach You To Be Rich). At the end of the day though, this book is completely worthless if you are going to just read it and move on to the next book. You need to actually do the things it says.
Thomas
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Material

This is a really good book on how to build a business.

I am not the target audience - yet. I have not yet taken the plunge and started a side business yet. But I am learning about what it takes to be successful. I learned some lessons from this reading. I’m sure I’ll learn more on a subsequent read-through. And someday when I have a product or service ready to sell, I’ll be better prepared to do so.
Renato Rodriguez
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I was mildly disappointed with this book. I read Ramit's other book I Will Teach you to be Rich and loved it. It greatly helped me into getting out of financial hardship. This one feels more like an advertisement for his website and online courses. Nothing too revolutionary here, but some good advice. It feels to me that this is more aimed at online businesses or bloggers, not very useful for my type of business.
Jansie Blom
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a long sales letter, but there's some good in it

I bought the book cos it was a dollar. For that price, I give it a star.

It receives another star for confirming certain beliefs I've started turning into habits.

One more star for having glimpses of inspiration.

I'm proud to announce that I managed to ignore clicking through to his landing page from this book.
Marcia
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Loved loved loved this book.

I love the no-nonsense, unapologetic tone of this book and that it doesn't promise you the earth if you just manifest or some such nonsense. I like real books that tell you it will take work because there are no magic formulae, but that are also encouraging to say you can do it.

This one does both.
Lauren RM
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ramit tells it like it is as usual and provides links to other resources. Definitely not as complete as the class but it's a book. I found a lot of the sections inspiring and informative but not necessarily as actionable as I would like. Overall, it is a good mindset adjustment and inspiration to starting your own business but it is good to have other resources for specific action steps.
Ulhas Joshi
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought changing Book

. A complete eye opener . Wish to thank ramit for the excellent thought process. Now i feel i should have read it years hefore and my business would have been completely different . Must read for all businesses for all size
Gannon's, Inc.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Tells mostly of his successes.

Would have been good to actually hear some success stories from people who purchased his programs. The book had some good ideas, but mostly it was about how much money he makes selling his programs. It does sound like he has been very successful.
Mart Lehtmets
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting reading

I really like that book. Easily written and understandable. It is really your move to make the things happen in your own life. No one else will not do it for you!
Rick Decorie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book for anyone starting a business. It covers many things, including how to find customers and how to find a mentor. It also talks about selling, and learning about your customers. Not all the lessons may apply to your situation, but they are worth reading any way.
Cody Ray
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clearly builds on his other book, his blog, etc. and repeats a lot of the same themes. It's very mindset and strategy-oriented, which tends to take more repetition than a hit list of quick tactics. All in all, a worthwhile short read.
Marissa Catania Bishop
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ramit is the only person I listen to

Straight forward business advice with a good twist of Ramit's snarkiness. My importantly he offers a ton a valuable, action-oriented content and an over the top generous amount of extra resources.
Andrew Magruder
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overview of Ramit

If you've never read Sethi, it is *critical* that you read this book.

If you've read Sethi, this is hand-down the best summary of his build-a-business strain of thinking.

Can't wait for him to do this for his other areas of expertise.
Monte Jacoby
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
highly recommended

as always, Ramit is a no-BS entrepreneur!
just be sure to apply what you learn here, these are great lessons to be lived with...
Kathy Gerstorff
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Required Reading!

For the price it's a no-brainer. Love Ramit's no BS style and actionable advice. A must read for online startups!
Naved
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Best Business Book EVER!!
Boon
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is good book if you are the startup or want to start your new business. Many simple but powerful suggestions how to find the first customer and grow the business.
Jorge
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love!

Finished it in two days! Loved every tip every story. Now I’m gonna go back and read it again to make sure I get this right!
Evgenia Yuferova
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!

Loved it Ramit!
I'm taking your courses and there was still new and awesome info that I implemented immediately and will continue to work on.
Bálint
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have loved Ramit's stuff for a long time. This is a great, low priced package of his business model. A ton of work, but it's actionable.
  • Unscalable
  • The Senior Software Engineer
  • Programming Phoenix
  • Confident Ruby
  • 99 Bottles of OOP
  • Programming Elixir: Functional |> Concurrent |> Pragmatic |> Fun
  • The Imposter's Handbook (Imposter's Handbook, #1)
  • The Rich Employee
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • The Freaks Shall Inherit the Earth: Entrepreneurship for Weirdos, Misfits, and World Dominators
  • Email Persuasion: Captivate and Engage Your Audience, Build Authority and Generate More Sales With Email Marketing
  • Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Playbook: An Inside Look at How to Think Like a Professional Trader
  • MAKE: Bootstrapper's Handbook
  • Back to Human: How Great Leaders Create Connection in the Age of Isolation
  • Market Mind Games: Profiting from the New Psychology of Risk, Uncertainty, and the Convergence of Trading with Investing
  • Japanese Fairy World - Stories From The Wonder-Lore Of Japan
Ramit Sethi is New York Times best-selling author of I Will Teach You To Be Rich. His blog, iwillteachyoutoberich.com, hosts over 300,000 readers every month. He co-founded PBwiki and graduated from Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He lives in San Francisco, CA.
“But it takes a lot of trust for someone to actually pull out their wallet and pay you money, because they believe you can help them solve their problems.” 0 likes
“Do that, and it means you’ve created something good enough that people say, “Yes, I need this!” When they pull out that credit card, you know they really mean it. They’re not just saying they need it because they’re worried about hurting your feelings.” 0 likes