Start by marking “What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)” as Want to Read:
What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)

What I Did for Love

(Wynette, Texas #4)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  17,487 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews
Perennial New York Times bestselling author Susan Elizabeth Phillips is easily one of the most beloved authors of women’s fiction in America—and with her wonderfully witty What I Did for Love.

It’s not easy being famous when your life is falling apart… Georgie York has been dumped by her movie star husband, her own film career is tanking, and her public image as a spunky ro
Published January 27th 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What I Did for Love, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kaler If you like this one, you can try SEP's Glitter Baby. It's the story of Meg's parents.

·  17,487 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews

Start your review of What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
♥Sharon♥
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have officially placed Susan Elizabeth Phillips on my favorite author’s pedestal. I love her writing style, her plots are always creative and she works her magic with the development of her characters. SEP also dares to give you supporting characters that could possibly steal the show but instead strengthens the plot and keeps the reader engaged.

Georgie York and Bramwell Shepard really do love to hate each other. Their lives were spinning in the same circle for a while as young TV stars. Bram
Tammy
This was discussed earlier in Celeste's review, but I think it is fair to say that What I Did for Love is the author's commentary on Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. In fact, it was extremely difficult for me to picture anyone but Jennifer Aniston and Brangelina while reading this book.

The similarities are obvious ... Lance's (Brad Pitt's) interest in architecture. The fact that he leaves his wife while filming a movie with St. Jade (Jolie), a do-gooder that travels worldwide to
Mo
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I did enjoy this one, it just didn't hit the high notes that her previous books did. What was missing? I have no idea. Maybe the fact that I just finished two really good suspense books ... this one was just too different ... maybe. My mind was still on the other books and the fact that I was dying to read the conclusion to the Trilogy ... (BTW, thank you Sharon for Book 3.)

Two enemies find themselves working without a script in a town where the spotlight shines bright . . . and wh
Review to come..

My favorite quote:
“As for your back rubs... Study an anatomy book, pal, because what you've been rubbing isn't my back.”
Michelle
Feb 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
If writing this craptastic novel is what Ms. Phillips does 'for love' then I can only hope she is more motivated in the future by hatred.
I am normally a huge fan of Susan Elizabeth Phillips but this book was a total bomb. I found myself skipping pages, hoping that the end would be better. She added a couple side plots that were a lot more interesting than the shallow, self-involved main characters, who had lots of unconvincing sex, no chemistry with one another, and nothing to make me intereste
Kajol
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hehe... I am going to start of with my almost common line, "Oh. My. God! I loved it!!!"

This book was amazing. The beginning was a bit boring, but still interesting enough to keep me reading. The story got deliciously exciting and let me just tell you that even though the lead characters were a bit twisted, I couldn't hep but love them.

Bramwell Shepard, the oh-so-gorgeous actor with those beautiful lavender eyes, amazing body and a mouth that makes you think dirty, he's not only the Hollywood ba
Lisa Kay
I’ve given 5 stars to most all of SEP’s books. More than one of her books has landed on that shelf entitled "If you could only keep one." This is my first disappointment and it was a big one.

Forget all the Brad/Ang/Jen Hollywood stuff that I could have lived without. Lord knows the Eddie/Liz/Debbie thing was much worse as there were babies involved and Taylor was tragically, really grieving for Mike Todd. (BTW Debbie was baby-sitting Liz’s kids while Liz was being "consoled" by Eddie; how’s
♡Karlyn P♡
I’ve read everything by this author, and will without a doubt be first in line to buy her next book. I think this book would have been better titled ‘Ripped from the Headlines!’ The direct similarities to so many true Hollywood tales were abundant! And as someone who doesn’t follow celebrity BS, I wasn’t that entertained.

While ‘What I Did For Love’ was a decent read, it wasn’t SEP’s typical great read. The core story is about two young Hollywood TV child stars that grew up to hate each other, a
Celeste
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: s-e-phillips
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what to say? Well, I'll start by saying, I think she fashioned this book (in the beginning at least) after Brad Pit, Jennifer Aniston, and Angalina Jolie! You'll understand if/when you read it! Trust me! If you follow celebrities even a little you'll see the similarities, no problem.

I only gave three stars because, while I enjoyed the book, it didn't really grip me and make me feel as if I HAD to continue reading. When I read a book, it generally takes me a day to two days t
Amber’s reading
3.5 stars. Top notch writing by one of the best authors in romance. But....

I feel like I need to beg forgiveness for rating a book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips anything under 4 stars, but I just didn’t love Georgia and Bram. Bram never redeemed himself and I never felt their connection. But as with many books by SEP, there were 2 bonus love stories with side characters, and in this case, I found them more interesting than the main one. Lots of laughs from one in particular.

Still a highly enterta
da AL
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fun story about the complexity of hetero life. as usual, Julia Gibson does a fab narration
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Ooooh this was a disaster!

So I wanted to read something good, ok? I’m in a foul mood – most of the books I’ve read lately were a big disappointment - so I chose something to lift my mood up: SEP. I was having high expectations, of course, but I was sure SEP won’t let me down.

Oh hell… she let me down so badly..

I hated the book (even though the summary sounded very good); I hated the characters, hated the story and hated the non-existent humor. Booohooo but I’m not in the mood for drama when it c
Samuel Wayne Allen
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What a heart-aching/warming, emotional ride! I smiled and scowled; I laughed and I cried...
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I liked the anticipation and emotions I felt while reading this book.

STORY BRIEF:
Georgie and Bram starred in a TV sitcom for eight years. Bram was unreliable due to drugs, alcohol and sex. Georgie initially liked Bram but he hurt her during his bad boy days. Now they dislike/hate each other. Georgie is a good girl. Everyone loves her. She married Lance an A list movie star. Lance had an affair, divorced Georgie and married Jade (think Angelina Jolie). Georgie is tired of everyone feeling sorry f
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
At one point, I put this down with the intent never to pick it up again. I'd even started my scathing review where I castigated Bram in my accustomed, semi-florid manner. But I wanted to be extra-special scathing about what a complete waste he is and figured that evidence was only a chapter or two away so I picked it up again. And didn't put it down until I'd stayed up way too late and finished it.

So, uh, yeah.

The thing is, I fell for Georgie almost immediately because she's so sweet and kind an
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
Not quite up to my favorite SEPs’ standard, but still I liked it as all her stories, characters and atmospheres enthral - irrespective.
‘Skip and Scooter’ was a nice touch with a fascinating world and story of their own. All the secondary characters were well drawn, with the ubiquitous older strong female character/s also thrown in (thankfully not the H’s ex!).
Secondary romances also checked out.

As for the h/H themselves, they start out strong but lose momentum midway. The 3rd act could have been
Marilyn
Feb 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Susan Elizabeth Phillips is one of the few romance authors I read, and I usually love her books, but this one? Meh. One of her strong suits is humor. I didn't even smile as I trudged through this story with characters based on Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Even the sex scenes are blah. Only one character, Chaz, was remotely interesting. The book reads like it was written to fulfill a contract obligation rather than from the heart. Phillips can do, and has done, much much better ...more
Lana
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: maybe
I am a very big fan of Susan Elizabeth Phillips and really love her work. I have read all her books, but this one just doesn't work. It is sort of like buying a pair of shoes and one of them is a half size smaller than the other; so even though you love the shoes...you can't enjoy wearing them. Ok, this is a dumb analogy but that is what came to mind and how it feels reading this book. The characters, Bram and Georgie, just don't work for me. And it is so obviously the story of Anniston/Pit/Joli ...more
Crystal
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book wasn't brilliant. while it was characteristic Susan Elizabeth Phillips, it wasn't her best. so why couldn't I put it down? it's almost embarrassing--it's been awhile since I stayed up late finishing a book--why was this the one? I just didn't want to put it down. some of her similes, metaphores, and other descriptions are awkward (like early in the book when she says surfers in the ocean float "like fetuses in amniotic fluid"--so weird!) but somehow the overall book caused me to suspen ...more
Zeek
I would say this is more of 3.5 star review, simply because it's a little forgettable as I think back on it after reading it a few months ago for the first time? But while reading, I was all in- I do remember that.

The heroine is definitely prejudiced toward the hero, and for good reason,- not the typical SEP. Sometimes that feels a little too predictable- but I read it in one afternoon/evening- so yeah. All in.
Mandy
Loved this! I love how this author is able to make you hate the hero at first but totally fall in love with him by the end of the book. Loved the epilogue for this one!
Natalia
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Another addicting and easy to read romance story. I wasn't expecting a lot of it, it didn't disappoint me but it didn't pleasantly surprise me either. It was alright, fun and entertaining.
The story follows Georgie. She's an actress and when she was young she used to play in a very famous tv show. Now 8 years later everyone still sees as the teenage girl she played on the show, but now her career is going nowhere. Moreover after her diverse with her husband she's left in a bad position without ha
Ian
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a young TV star, Georgie's first love was her co-star Bram. Back then he was completely self absorbed and after he took her virginity he walked out on her, leaving her alone and humiliated.

Fast forward 10 years and Georgie's husband has left her for a saint, she's had three box office flops and is looking a little frayed around the edges. She runs away from Hollywood only to run into Bram and after a drunken tryst finds herself wedded to him.

He's still the bad boy she loathes but she's desp
*The Angry Reader*
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
When I first read this a year ago it pissed me off. SEP puts her heroines through hell - frequently at the hands of the hero. And I couldn’t take disastrous pathetic Georgie or dickhead Bram. But I went into the reread with a little more patience and had a much better time. Yes, she has a formula. And yes that formula works for me. SEP is a wonder.

****Original review below****

Mean hero. Sissy heroine. Controlling father. The trifecta of death.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Definitely not my favorite SEP.
Margo
Sep 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
When SEP makes an H a jerk, they never fundamentally change This guy was consistently cruel, the h needed real therapy, and the best thing for her would be to change her identity, move to Estonia, found a sanctuary for those really cute silky-haired goats, and create a life there.
Rachel
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is pretty much a spin-off of Jennifer Aniston's real life story. A funny-face, sitcom-princess marries and then is dumped by the best looking actor in Hollywood. He leaves her for an actress famous for her unusual beauty and dedication to world humanitarian works. The story begins after the divorce, when Georgie (the heroine) accidentally gets drugged by a groupie in LV and wakes up married to her former sitcom costar - a man she detests and who treats her really, really badly.

The book
Didka
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read for 2 days, very interesting!
Marla
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I enjoyed this. Entertaining.
Andree
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Should have taken my own advice re: taking a break from romance novels. If only they were not all I felt like reading, weirdly. Specific ones at least.

This book is very much a mixed bag for me. I almost quit early on, because it was causing me actual anxiety. Bram is literally the worst for the first section. And while he's clearly not as bad as he seems, he still does some things in the start that are fairly unforgiveable and unnecessary, particularly regarding how he treats Georgie. I will con

• True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4)
  • Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1)
  • Any Man of Mine (Chinooks Hockey Team, #6)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Chinooks Hockey Team, #5)
  • Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1)
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • The Best Man
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
  • Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)
  • What I Love About You
  • Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
  • Maybe This Time
  • Crazy on You
  • Crazy For You
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the creator of the sports romance, beginning with her 1989 bestseller, FANCY PANTS. An internationally acclaimed author, her books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award.

Susan'

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #6)