Start by marking “Paris Adrift” as Want to Read:
Paris Adrift

Paris Adrift

The Time Machine meets Midnight In Paris

Determined to escape her old life, misfit and student geologist Hallie packs up her life in England and heads to Paris. She falls in with the eclectic expat community as a bartender at the notorious Millie’s, located next to the Moulin Rouge.

Here she meets Gabriela, a bartender who guides her through this strange nocturnal world,
Published February 6th 2018 by Solaris (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Paris Adrift, please sign up.

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Sooooooooooo.... okay. I was sort of enjoying this book when it was in Paris, 2017. The aesthetic of the place, the bars, the odd sense of creepiness or eerie occurrence - it was all great. But as soon as we got into the actual time travel moments…. Meh?

Unfortunately, I’m someone who reads mostly for either 1) decent character development or 2) good dramatic tension. And I just really didn’t think this book had either. A fast paced plot is one thing, but without good drmatatic tension or compel
Bradley
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an utterly delightful time-travel/atmospheric tale of freedom, choice, and Paris.

I was struck by just how descriptive and easy the text flowed, but then I was sucked in to all the different time periods as I drifted through the theater of 1875, from catacombs to bohemians, from Moulin Rouge to Moulin Vert... all the way to 2017 with crowded bars and modern woes... to a dystopian and war-torn future of 2042 that includes time travelers and the ever dreaded and alluring Anomaly in the timestr
Carrie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Paris Adrift by E.J. Swift is a science fiction fantasy read that features time travel through various times in Paris. This one was a book that I had high hopes for when I saw the beautiful cover and learned that it would be about time traveling but unfortunately it fell a bit short for me.

The story started off seeming to be promising with a look at the future that had me salivating for some good old saving the world reading. But then we get introduced to Hallie as she’s working in a bar and tha
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

I was sold on this book the moment I saw the cover. It's magical, ethereal, straight up gorgeous.

And then I found out it was about time travel and I was extra sold. I don't even know how many times I've shouted into the void about my love for time travel, but I do know that I will never get tired of stumbling upon new time travel stories.

This isn't the sort of time travel book where there's a lot of sci-fi elements alongside the time
Acqua
Paris Adrift is a fantasy book about the way small events can shape people, places, and the destiny of humanity itself.

One of the main strengths of this book is the atmosphere. The descriptions of Paris through time - the crowded bars of 2017, the theaters of 1875, the alternate dystopian city of 2042 - are vivid and fascinating.

The main character is Hallie, a young woman who is on a gap year from her geology studies. She is running from her family, from her past, and in some way from herself, b
Deborah Obida
Arc provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 stars, I have to admit I was disappointed, I expected more from this book. The plot is amazing but I dislike the writing style. Most of the characters are bland and one dimensional, none could even muster any emotion in me. The book is diverse, it wasn't overly done, it was just perfect.

The plot is amazing, the time travelling was badly depicted and the whole anonmly descriptions was confusing. I love the staff of Millie's, just a gr
Sara
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've got mixed feelings about this one.

Paris Adrift follows student geologist Hallie who, fed up with her rather dull life, leaves England for the heady city life of Paris. Here, not far from the infamous Moulin Rouge, she finds a time portal that lets her glimpse Paris in all it's magnificent past and future.

It's the descriptions of Paris through the ages that really set this book apart. From this century, back down through time
Kathy - Books & Munches
The thing I liked best about Paris Adrift, is that it was a whole different kind of sci-fi than Illuminae and Gemina. Where I was lost in space before, now I was lost in time and the difference was so much fun! Starting in the twenty-first century, I hopped to eighteen century-France as well.

Our main character, Hallie, is a girl who really is looking for herself. She has demons in her past she tries to run from and cope with at the same time. Then ends up losing herself in time. I honestly have
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jan 31, 2018 marked it as on-hold
"Eloise, ma chérie, mon coeur, this lovely Anglaise here needs a tissue and a shot."

You know what makes me pettily put a book on hold, possibly permanently? Authors thinking they can have characters speak like in the quote above. If you're not going to do your research on how to write bilingual characters then why should I invest hours of my free time into reading your book?

description
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Hum. I don't know what I was waiting for.
I should have known it wasn't the mind-blowing crazy fest the blurb was promising but hey, you never know?
Another book set in Paris. Another book where the french language is butchered.
I mean, okay but the least you can do when writing a book using another language is check said language to minimize the mistakes? It's not that hard. People can help. Or you know, the internet ? Some parts were supposed to be "bad french" I guess. But some weren't.
Those b
Gray
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
‘What we were feeds into the things that will become, and after the last memory of us has faded from the world, it is stone that remains to tell what stories it can.’

Imagine if you were able to visit Paris at different points in time. And what if your actions could change the future, either for the better or the worse...

The story opens with a glimpse of a dark dystopian future where survivors of a devastating war are discussing the possibilities of changing the past. Following this, we shift to
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

I DNFed this book at 26%.

This book feels like it’s going nowhere. It doesn’t feel like it has a plot, and it’s pretty boring. The descriptions are pretty good, and it does give a nice feel to the novel but that doesn’t help with the boring characters. Even the main character isn’t particularly great.
Aoife
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Paris Adrift follows a young woman called Hallie making a new life for herself in Paris, France, and ends up figuring out that in particular places in the city, she’s able to time travel. But the future of the world may depend on things Hallie can change in the past - she just has no idea.

This book is pretty strange, and at times complex and it’s one that when I initia
Staci Campbell
Paris Adrift by E.J. Swift

3/5 🌟🌟🌟

I was Paris Adrift, in return for my honest review. On behalf of NetGalley and the publisher (s).

Rebellion/Solaris publishing

Time traveling!!!! This book was at first slow, and confusing. When reading it pay attention closely to the writing. With the detail and flip flop of time it can get confusing.

It was a slow start but there is a lot of detail. From the past to the future your following the character through her journey through time.

Paris Adrift may seem
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through Netgalley.]

I love myself a time travel story, and both the premise as well as the cover here caught my eye. Unfortunately, even though ultimately it was a quick an easy read (as opposed to a book I trudged through), I wasn’t sold on the story or the characters.

I think this is due to the prologue letting me expect a more ‘targetted’ time travel story: a group of time travellers (called ‘incumbents’) holed up in a bunker in Prague, the world dying around the
Lynn Williams
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Paris Adrift is a book that I’m conflicted over. I liked the idea of it, I love Paris so the setting is perfect and the cover is just captivating. As it is I liked it but it didn’t wow me.

The story starts off with a post apocalyptic setting at some point in the not too distant future where the world is literally coming to an end. A group of time travellers make the difficult decision that somebody must travel back to change things before this possible futu
Ailsa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first noticed this book because of the cover, and when I read the description I thought it sounded like the sort of thing I would enjoy. I pictured a fairly typical urban fantasy novel, where a main character discovers there's actually magic of some kind in the world, and with the cool setting of Paris as a bonus. In fact, it's not that sort of story at all. In the opening pages, you learn that this book is about time travel. In the not-too-distant future, the world is ending, and a group of t ...more
Vicky
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
admit, I’m a bit of a Francophile. I love all things French: the language, the culture, the food. And Paris. Paris is a great city, diverse, exciting and with a rich and exciting history.
When I heard about Paris Adrift, E.J Swift’s new book, then, I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. A book that combines time travel with the French capital, with a bit of romance and adventure mixed in? Sign me up. Also, the cover was amazing.
So, I really did like Paris Adrift. It’s set across several time frames, s
Leonie Byrne
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Thank you to Netgalley, EJ Swift and Rebellion Publishing for my ARC of Paris Adrift.

Title: Paris Adrift

Author: EJ Swift

Publication Date: 6th February 2018

Page Count: 320 Pages

Quote: '...houses harbour too, the premonitions of things desired and things that are yet to come; the families we may create, the friends we may meet, the lovers whose bodies we may one day embrace.'

Rating: 4*

Summary

In the very distant future, the world has come to an end. Someone finally nuked someone else and th
K.A. Wiggins
Disclaimer: reviewing uncorrected digital proof via NetGalley

"Adrift" is apt: the author took on a challenging format and offers some true excellence in character writing and worldbuilding, but the experience of reading this book is, for better or worse, as if you're just as adrift, confused, and purposeless as main character Hallie.

Hallie's doing the dissipated youth finding herself routine in Paris. But before we find that out, we have to wade through some future revolutionary setup with time-
Caroline Mersey
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Time travel novels are relatively rare. It's too easy to get caught up in a knot of grandfather paradoxes and endless self-referential loops. Plus Doctor Who has pretty much sewn up the market. Time travel stories work best when the stories told are small, and personal. That's what E J Swift gives us with Paris, Adrift (review copy from Rebellion).

Hallie is a teenager escaping from a difficult family home by putting off university, travelling to Paris and working in a bar. Nudged towards a bar
Finn Longman
Also reviewed at Miriam Joy Reads: https://miriamjoyreads.wordpress.com/...

This book was a pleasant surprise. The opening chapters were somewhat confusing -- a lot of jargon and an overall impression that it would be the kind of time travel narrative that ties your brain up in knots. But from there it improved, especially once it settled into Hallie's viewpoint after a few chapters. It might have been easier to get into if it had started there, but it didn't take too long.

So, this is a time tra
Karen Barber
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you NetGalley for what has to be described as one of the most puzzling reads I’ve had recently. This is where I really wish Goodreads had half-star ratings, because this is better than a three star read but it is not one that flows/would be easy to recommend.
Our main character is Hallie, a young student, and she decides to travel to Paris on her gap year. There she is taken under the wing of a rather eclectic group of people and she gets a job in Millie’s bar. Once there she makes the surp
Willem
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I got a copy of this from netgalley for an honest review.

This started a bit slow but picked up after that. It was a bit up and down at times and felt a little bit disjointed but it suits the subject matter though so not a big deal. It's a bit hard to say if I would recommend this though. For some people I would, for others not so much. It's not the time travel scifi book I expected but I did find it an interesting story told in a novel way. I'll definitely take a look at her other books though a
Emily
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ll be honest; I wanted to read this based on the gorgeous cover and it being a historical time travel themed book. Unfortunately the book just didn’t gel well for me though.

The first thing we get a glimpse of as a reader is a soon-to-be post apocalyptic world and we are briefly introduced to some characters that, in affect, are time travellers. They have the idea that sending one of them back to 2017 Paris (where the blood line of the guy with a trigger happy finger on a nuclear button starts
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, sci-fi
3.5 stars - I did like this, but there was just something didn't quite click for me. Full marks, though, for being something a little bit different: it's not a typical sci-fi time travel novel, but perhaps more about the main character discovering herself as she tries to find a new life. That maybe doesn't sound the most promising, but honestly: the epilogue-y last chapter's self-discovery theme was enough for the extra half mark!

Full blog review.
Maranda
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Idea behind the story had merit. Always love a good time travel novel but this was full of paradoxes and struggles. Characters never had any depth or heart so I felt no emotional parallel to them at all. The constant influx of foreign phrases were confusing without the meaning explained. This book was provided by Rebellion Solaris via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion."
Richard Pett
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written modern time travelling tale.
S.J. Budd
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hallie has enough of her life and during a gap year at university she moves to Paris, there she meets a set of bohemians when she finds work at Millie’s bar located next door to the Moulin Rouge.

At first she is daunted by these exotic people but soon enough they feel like family. Just when life is getting comfortable for Hallie she discovers the anomaly, a time portal in the keg room of where she works.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of science fiction but this book has truly converted me and I ca
Lucy-May
Writing reviews about books you love is always difficult, but it's rare that a book will leave me this dazed. The books pacing was odd throughout, but in the end I think that actually made the story more addictive & the ending was so impossibly surprising & striking that I just don't know what to say about it. I loved this book, with its fiercely modern young adults, it's sprinkling of history & it's enthralling science fiction elements, but none of it could have worked without the a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Time Shards (Time Shards #1)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Revenge of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4-5)
  • Death in Paris (A Death in Paris Mystery #1)
  • Present Tense (Star Trek: Janus Gate, #1)
  • Getting Real
  • Time's Children
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 124 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #124)
  • The Point
  • Failing Paris
  • The Many Selves of Katherine North
  • The Tangled Lands
  • The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)
  • Folk
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel SF
  • Paris Adieu (The Ava Series, Book 1)
  • Off Rock
E. J. Swift is the author of The Osiris Project trilogy, a speculative fiction series set in a world radically altered by climate change, comprising Osiris, Cataveiro and Tamaruq. Her short fiction has appeared in anthologies from Salt Publishing, NewCon Press and Jurassic London, including The Best British Fantasy (Salt Publishing, 2013 and 2014).

Swift was shortlisted for a 2013 BSFA Award in the