Start by marking “Paris Adrift” as Want to Read:
Paris Adrift

Paris Adrift

The Time Machine meets Midnight In Paris

Determined to escape her old life, misfit and student geologist Hallie packs up her life in England and heads to Paris. She falls in with the eclectic expat community as a bartender at the notorious Millie’s, located next to the Moulin Rouge.

Here she meets Gabriela, a bartender who guides her through this strange nocturnal world,
Published February 6th 2018 by Solaris (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Paris Adrift, please sign up.

Start your review of Paris Adrift
Elle (ellexamines)
Jan 13, 2018 marked it as zzzzz-did-not-finish
Sooooooooooo.... okay. I was sort of enjoying this book when it was in Paris, 2017. The aesthetic of the place, the bars, the odd sense of creepiness or eerie occurrence - it was all great. But as soon as we got into the actual time travel moments…. Meh?

Unfortunately, I’m someone who reads mostly for either 1) decent character development or 2) good dramatic tension. And I just really didn’t think this book had either. A fast paced plot is one thing, but without good drmatatic tension or compel
Bradley
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an utterly delightful time-travel/atmospheric tale of freedom, choice, and Paris.

I was struck by just how descriptive and easy the text flowed, but then I was sucked in to all the different time periods as I drifted through the theater of 1875, from catacombs to bohemians, from Moulin Rouge to Moulin Vert... all the way to 2017 with crowded bars and modern woes... to a dystopian and war-torn future of 2042 that includes time travelers and the ever dreaded and alluring Anomaly in the timestr
Carrie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Paris Adrift by E.J. Swift is a science fiction fantasy read that features time travel through various times in Paris. This one was a book that I had high hopes for when I saw the beautiful cover and learned that it would be about time traveling but unfortunately it fell a bit short for me.

The story started off seeming to be promising with a look at the future that had me salivating for some good old saving the world reading. But then we get introduced to Hallie as she’s working in a bar and tha
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

I was sold on this book the moment I saw the cover. It's magical, ethereal, straight up gorgeous.

And then I found out it was about time travel and I was extra sold. I don't even know how many times I've shouted into the void about my love for time travel, but I do know that I will never get tired of stumbling upon new time travel stories.

This isn't the sort of time travel book where there's a lot of sci-fi elements alongside the time
Acqua
Paris Adrift is a fantasy book about the way small events can shape people, places, and the destiny of humanity itself.

One of the main strengths of this book is the atmosphere. The descriptions of Paris through time - the crowded bars of 2017, the theaters of 1875, the alternate dystopian city of 2042 - are vivid and fascinating.

The main character is Hallie, a young woman who is on a gap year from her geology studies. She is running from her family, from her past, and in some way from herself, b
Deborah Obida
Arc provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 stars, I have to admit I was disappointed, I expected more from this book. The plot is amazing but I dislike the writing style. Most of the characters are bland and one dimensional, none could even muster any emotion in me. The book is diverse, it wasn't overly done, it was just perfect.

The plot is amazing, the time travelling was badly depicted and the whole anonmly descriptions was confusing. I love the staff of Millie's, just a gr
Sara
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've got mixed feelings about this one.

Paris Adrift follows student geologist Hallie who, fed up with her rather dull life, leaves England for the heady city life of Paris. Here, not far from the infamous Moulin Rouge, she finds a time portal that lets her glimpse Paris in all it's magnificent past and future.

It's the descriptions of Paris through the ages that really set this book apart. From this century, back down through time
Lukasz
The concept of time-travel is seducing. I love exploring it in fiction. Contrary to books describing the time-travel mechanism, Paris Adrift focuses on characters, not on science. The time portal, found in the keg room of a bar, allows the book’s protagonist, Hallie, to move through time. Hallie moved to Paris to escape her dull life, and find the meaning of it all (life, her emotions, family stuff). When a woman known as The Chronometrist approaches her, she discovers there’s more than one laye ...more
Kathy - Books & Munches
The thing I liked best about Paris Adrift, is that it was a whole different kind of sci-fi than Illuminae and Gemina. Where I was lost in space before, now I was lost in time and the difference was so much fun! Starting in the twenty-first century, I hopped to eighteen century-France as well.

Our main character, Hallie, is a girl who really is looking for herself. She has demons in her past she tries to run from and cope with at the same time. Then ends up losing herself in time. I honestly have
Silvia
Jan 31, 2018 marked it as dnf
"Eloise, ma chérie, mon coeur, this lovely Anglaise here needs a tissue and a shot."

You know what makes me pettily put a book on hold, possibly permanently? Authors thinking they can have characters speak like in the quote above. If you're not going to do your research on how to write bilingual characters then why should I invest hours of my free time into reading your book?

description
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Hum. I don't know what I was waiting for.
I should have known it wasn't the mind-blowing crazy fest the blurb was promising but hey, you never know?
Another book set in Paris. Another book where the french language is butchered.
I mean, okay but the least you can do when writing a book using another language is check said language to minimize the mistakes? It's not that hard. People can help. Or you know, the internet ? Some parts were supposed to be "bad french" I guess. But some weren't.
Those b
Wakizashi
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
‘What we were feeds into the things that will become, and after the last memory of us has faded from the world, it is stone that remains to tell what stories it can.’

Imagine if you were able to visit Paris at different points in time. And what if your actions could change the future, either for the better or the worse...

The story opens with a glimpse of a dark dystopian future where survivors of a devastating war are discussing the possibilities of changing the past. Following this, we shift to
Gianna Lorandi
I love time travelling so I wish I had liked this book more than I did. Loved the descriptions of different times but unfortunately for a lot of the book nothing really happened.
Nice little really but it could have had more content and characters could have been a bit more developed.
Thank you NetGalley for the advanced copy!
Aoife
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Paris Adrift follows a young woman called Hallie making a new life for herself in Paris, France, and ends up figuring out that in particular places in the city, she’s able to time travel. But the future of the world may depend on things Hallie can change in the past - she just has no idea.

This book is pretty strange, and at times complex and it’s one that when I initia
Staci Campbell
Paris Adrift by E.J. Swift

3/5 🌟🌟🌟

I was Paris Adrift, in return for my honest review. On behalf of NetGalley and the publisher (s).

Rebellion/Solaris publishing

Time traveling!!!! This book was at first slow, and confusing. When reading it pay attention closely to the writing. With the detail and flip flop of time it can get confusing.

It was a slow start but there is a lot of detail. From the past to the future your following the character through her journey through time.

Paris Adrift may seem
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

I DNFed this book at 26%.

This book feels like it’s going nowhere. It doesn’t feel like it has a plot, and it’s pretty boring. The descriptions are pretty good, and it does give a nice feel to the novel but that doesn’t help with the boring characters. Even the main character isn’t particularly great.
Lynn Williams
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Paris Adrift is a book that I’m conflicted over. I liked the idea of it, I love Paris so the setting is perfect and the cover is just captivating. As it is I liked it but it didn’t wow me.

The story starts off with a post apocalyptic setting at some point in the not too distant future where the world is literally coming to an end. A group of time travellers make the difficult decision that somebody must travel back to change things before this possible futu
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through Netgalley.]

I love myself a time travel story, and both the premise as well as the cover here caught my eye. Unfortunately, even though ultimately it was a quick an easy read (as opposed to a book I trudged through), I wasn’t sold on the story or the characters.

I think this is due to the prologue letting me expect a more ‘targetted’ time travel story: a group of time travellers (called ‘incumbents’) holed up in a bunker in Prague, the world dying around the
Ailsa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first noticed this book because of the cover, and when I read the description I thought it sounded like the sort of thing I would enjoy. I pictured a fairly typical urban fantasy novel, where a main character discovers there's actually magic of some kind in the world, and with the cool setting of Paris as a bonus. In fact, it's not that sort of story at all. In the opening pages, you learn that this book is about time travel. In the not-too-distant future, the world is ending, and a group of t ...more
Vicky
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
admit, I’m a bit of a Francophile. I love all things French: the language, the culture, the food. And Paris. Paris is a great city, diverse, exciting and with a rich and exciting history.
When I heard about Paris Adrift, E.J Swift’s new book, then, I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. A book that combines time travel with the French capital, with a bit of romance and adventure mixed in? Sign me up. Also, the cover was amazing.
So, I really did like Paris Adrift. It’s set across several time frames, s
WS_BOOKCLUB
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This will be available on February 4th.

What first interested me in this book was its comparison to Midnight in Paris, a movie that I love. I can’t say I see much of a resemblance, aside from the obvious (they both involve Paris), but I’m grateful for that blurb because otherwise this book might have passed me by.

Hallie is our main character, a woman who feels out of place in her own skin. She’s decided to t
Claire Huston
More exciting in theory than practice. 3/5 stars.

This review was originally posted on my book blog.

Paris Adrift opens with a scenario familar to all sci-fi fans: a disastrous war in the future can only be prevented by travelling back in time to disrupt the events which will lead to humanity's destruction. However, after an attention-grabbing opening chapter set a few hundred years hence, most of the story then takes place in the Clichy area of Paris in the early 21st century, with brief trips to
Leonie Hinch
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Thank you to Netgalley, EJ Swift and Rebellion Publishing for my ARC of Paris Adrift.

Title: Paris Adrift

Author: EJ Swift

Publication Date: 6th February 2018

Page Count: 320 Pages

Quote: '...houses harbour too, the premonitions of things desired and things that are yet to come; the families we may create, the friends we may meet, the lovers whose bodies we may one day embrace.'

Rating: 4*

Summary

In the very distant future, the world has come to an end. Someone finally nuked someone else and th
K.A. Wiggins
Disclaimer: reviewing uncorrected digital proof via NetGalley

"Adrift" is apt: the author took on a challenging format and offers some true excellence in character writing and worldbuilding, but the experience of reading this book is, for better or worse, as if you're just as adrift, confused, and purposeless as main character Hallie.

Hallie's doing the dissipated youth finding herself routine in Paris. But before we find that out, we have to wade through some future revolutionary setup with time-
Jodi
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hallie is young, depressed, and adrift. She leaves late-2010s Britain and a family that makes her feel unloved to take a gap year in Paris. Hallie hopes for happiness and reinvention. Her first new friend suggests she apply at Millie's, a bar that has been loved by demimondaines and tourists for ages. She makes friends at Millie's and becomes part of their family. However, she soon gets caught up with forces that are far larger than herself.

But Paris Adrift actually doesn't begin with Hallie. I
Caroline Mersey
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Time travel novels are relatively rare. It's too easy to get caught up in a knot of grandfather paradoxes and endless self-referential loops. Plus Doctor Who has pretty much sewn up the market. Time travel stories work best when the stories told are small, and personal. That's what E J Swift gives us with Paris, Adrift (review copy from Rebellion).

Hallie is a teenager escaping from a difficult family home by putting off university, travelling to Paris and working in a bar. Nudged towards a bar
Finn Longman
Also reviewed at Miriam Joy Reads: https://miriamjoyreads.wordpress.com/...

This book was a pleasant surprise. The opening chapters were somewhat confusing -- a lot of jargon and an overall impression that it would be the kind of time travel narrative that ties your brain up in knots. But from there it improved, especially once it settled into Hallie's viewpoint after a few chapters. It might have been easier to get into if it had started there, but it didn't take too long.

So, this is a time tra
Karen Barber
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you NetGalley for what has to be described as one of the most puzzling reads I’ve had recently. This is where I really wish Goodreads had half-star ratings, because this is better than a three star read but it is not one that flows/would be easy to recommend.
Our main character is Hallie, a young student, and she decides to travel to Paris on her gap year. There she is taken under the wing of a rather eclectic group of people and she gets a job in Millie’s bar. Once there she makes the surp
Annie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the power to travel through time, apparently, comes the responsibility to save the world whenever it looks like it’s about to end. The prologue to E.J. Swift’s Paris Adrift drops us right into one of these crises. Bombs have destroyed Europe and possibly the rest of the world, too. The people of the House of Janus have just one chance to rewrite history. That chance is Hallie, a woman on the run from her artist mother and newly arrived in Paris…and who has no idea that she can travel throug ...more
Willem
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I got a copy of this from netgalley for an honest review.

This started a bit slow but picked up after that. It was a bit up and down at times and felt a little bit disjointed but it suits the subject matter though so not a big deal. It's a bit hard to say if I would recommend this though. For some people I would, for others not so much. It's not the time travel scifi book I expected but I did find it an interesting story told in a novel way. I'll definitely take a look at her other books though a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • Monstrous Heart (The Monstrous Heart Trilogy, #1)
  • Phoenix Extravagant
  • The Ship of Shadows
  • The Unadoptables
  • The Eighth Detective
  • The Seventh Perfection
  • The Companions
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Untamed Shore
  • Light of Impossible Stars (Embers of War, #3)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
  • The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker
  • A Rare Book of Cunning Device (Rivers of London, #6.5)
  • Body Tourists
  • The Necessary Arthur
  • Mexican Gothic
E. J. Swift is the author of The Osiris Project trilogy, a speculative fiction series set in a world radically altered by climate change, comprising Osiris, Cataveiro and Tamaruq. Her short fiction has appeared in anthologies from Salt Publishing, NewCon Press and Jurassic London, including The Best British Fantasy (Salt Publishing, 2013 and 2014).

Swift was shortlisted for a 2013 BSFA Award in the