Start by marking “Unplugged” as Want to Read:
Unplugged

Unplugged

From the creator of the bestselling Mr. Panda series comes an amusing picture book about the fun you can have when you unplug.

Meet Blip. Blip loves being plugged into her computer. When a blackout occurs, Blip trips over her wire and tumbles outside. Suddenly, Blip's gray world is filled with color and excitement. She plays with her new friends and has adventures all day
Published February 27th 2018 by Scholastic Press (first published September 7th 2017)

Start your review of Unplugged
Mischenko
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blip loves her computer and enjoys using it all day long. One day, there's a blackout and shes left with no electricity. She ends up outdoors discovering all the beauty and how much she was missing being plugged into her computer all day. She makes new friends and enjoys nature until the end of the day when she returns home.

This is such a cute book and we loved Blip and all the illustrations. We had discussions afterwards about how it's good to have a set amount of screen time throughout the day
Calista
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My nephew is obsessed with Robots. This is a great little story for him. It's about a robot who spends all day doing fun things on the computer. There is a black out and he is forced to go outside. He realizes how much better outside it and he has many fun adventures.

I think it's a great message and a cute little story. I don't know if the nephew understood it, but he enjoyed the story.
Edward Sullivan
A good message delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and with charming illustrations.
Melki
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Blip discovers something AMAZING when she unplugs from her computer.

A good reminder for both kids AND adults to LOOK UP every now and again.

(In case you need another reminder - here is my favorite video of all time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU...)
Olivia Tosti
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book with the perfect message especially in today's society that being unplugged can lead to great adventures! ...more
zapkode
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – Blip deals with a power outage that causes them to be unplugged from their computer. They aren’t use to being unplugged but ends up spending time outside, doing new things, and making new friends. Eventually Blip ends up going back home and plugging back into his computer. Once he does that he begins to miss all the fun he’d had while he was unplugged.

I really like this book. It helps to show children that electronics aren’t everything and that they can potentially have more fun,
Juliana
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book about Blip who is plugged into the internet all day long. One day, Blip becomes unplugged after a blackout and discovers the outside world. Blip makes friends with some animals and sees that there's more to the world than what's online. It's straightforward and obviously a lesson that you should take time to unplug from technology every once in a while. The illustrations were also pretty cute. ...more
Rebecca Ann
This not so subtle story shows that it is just as much fun to play outside as on video games. As an avid gamer, I'm not sure I buy it, but I almost did because this book is just so cute! The simple text makes it perfect for a preschool-2nd grade storytime. ...more
Tinnie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was really adorable.

A story to encourage kids who spend too much time indoors and glued to their computer screens to go outside and explore.
Karyn Nadler
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picture book is incredible. How children and adults need to notice things around them and get Unplugged. Already have two copies in my school library. Beautiful illustrations too.
Every school library should have a copy.
Jon Nakapalau
The world outside is amazing (and in color) and all you have to do is unplug! Great book for small children who never want to go outside to play because the computer has cast a spell over them - maybe for some adults also!
Paul "Axl" Hurman
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just wonderful. Steve Antony's books make me so happy that whenever I read them, I feel the need to give them a little hug afterwards. ...more
Jessica Furtado
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute, & a timely reminder for parents and kiddos about the importance of backing away from the iPad and other screens to enjoy some of life's simpler adventures. ...more
Kristina Jean Lareau

Great contrast in the illustrations between indoors and outdoors. I wish there was a place for balance in this story for being unplugged and with technology.
Abigail
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Unplugging from Machines & Technology
A little robot named Blip enjoys being connected to her computer in this newest picture-book from British author/artist Steve Antony, creator of the Mr. Panda stories. But when a blackout occurs and she finds herself inadvertently in the great outdoors, Blip discovers that she can learn new things and play games in the natural world as well. She can also make real friends...

I appreciated the premise of Unplugged - that it is a good thing to disconnect ourselves from our digital lives from ti
Scottsdale Public Library
Blip the robot discovers the joy of unplugging once and awhile, even though being plugged into her computer is tons of fun. Adorable illustrations accompany the sparse text of this delightful and direct book. Readers may also enjoy "It's a Book" by Lane Smith or "Norton and Alpha" by Kristyna Litten - Alexis S. ...more
Beverly
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-friends
The inside scenes are in black and white; the outside scenes are in full color. The book is designed to get readers to unplug from their electronic games and go outside to play.
Shelle Perry

Unplugged is the story of Blip. Blip spends her days plugged into her computer for all the right reasons. She plays games for sure, but she also learns new skills, takes advantage of educational help, learns about new places and makes friends. However, as parents have been asking since computers first became a part of our homes, “What happens when the power goes out?” Blip finds out. Tripping over her plug in the dark she tumbles out the door and down the hill and into a river that takes her int
Educateempower
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
But one day there was a power cut...

Can you imagine? A life without your computer? phone or tablet?

What would you do if you had to go outside, talk to people around you or explore the unknown outside the safety of your device?

Steve Antony has answered these questions in his creative picture book - Unplugged.

Blip, a little robot loves her computer and all of the different things she can do on it. She can play games, learn new things, sing, draw and go on adventures - what more could she want?

She
Mrs. Mounce
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unplugged is a cute little story that sends a positive message about unplugging! We know electronics can be a great tool for learning and for having fun! But we all need to unplug sometimes and spend time with friends and enjoy our beautiful outdoors! I really like the illustrations in this book also! The pages that talk about being plugged-in are gray and dull. The pages that talk about being unplugged are bright and colorful! I’m really glad I purchased this for my library!
Mary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: issues
The message is obvious and didactic, but might not be perceived as preachy by young children. Illustrations are clear and detailed, with the color spreads underscoring the theme that unplugged is better than the black/white plugged in pages.
Stefanie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readaloud, preschool
Could see this being a parent favorite!
Theresa Grissom
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about getting off the electronics and experiencing the world.
Steph
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a needed message. Maybe needed a bit more at the end, but definite potential with this one.

And I lovvvvve Steve Antony!
Clementine
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
pretty clever while also being gentle about encouraging kids to play outside.
Taryn Renay
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, yet sad that someone had to write a children's book about unplugging. ...more
Rana
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Simple but effective story about unplugging and spending time outside.
Kristin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2018
Very cute, I approve.
Meg
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A wonderful, beautiful picture book for children of the digital age. Five stars for beautiful art, an original story that will resonate with readers, and a perfect length.
Garrett
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Good book, but without an ounce of irony this title, which is about the importance of unplugging from your device every now and again, is available in ebook format.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Blue House
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
  • Bear Came Along
  • Cozy
  • Dinosaur Lady: The Daring Discoveries of Mary Anning, the First Paleontologist
  • Dandy
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Dot.
  • I Don't Want to Be a Frog
See top shelves…
Since his 2014 debut, Steve Antony has so far written and illustrated 16 picture books, including the Mr Panda series, The Queen Collection, Unplugged, Green Lizards Vs Red Rectangles and the forthcoming Amazing. Steve has been nominated four times and long listed once for the Kate Greenaway Medal. The Queen's Hat, which was adapted into a musical concert by the London Symphony Orchestra, won the ...more